Having strong nails is a desire to everyone, especially for women but if you’re one among those suffering from dull, brittle and unhealthy nails.
Generally, nails are made of keratin, a high water protein that makes your nails soft and shiny but due to an insufficiency of this protein will affect your nails and makes them dry, rough and brittle.
Some reasons like long term exposure to chemicals or water, too much usage of nail polish, unhealthy diet, improper nail care, environmental irritants, etc. will make your nails look dry, brittle and lifeless.
Stop worrying, as there are many natural ways to treat your problem. All you need to do is to follow some nail care, healthy diet and the remedies listed below on regular basis.
How to Keep your Nails Stronger:
Here are some of the best natural remedies that are recommended by most of the people for maintaining healthy and strong nails.
Remedy – 1: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil has linoleic acid that makes it as a good moisturizer to your nails or cuticles. It also prevents fungal infection, repairs damage, absorbs water, strengthen your nails and thus makes them grow stronger and healthier.
- Slightly warm some olive oil and apply it on your nails by covering the top and underside of your nails.
- Massage it gently for few minutes.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Dry your nails and repeat it 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 3 teaspoons of warm olive oil. Apply it on your nails by using a cotton swab at night before bedtime. Let it dry and wear a pair of soft cotton gloves. Leave it on for overnight and rinse off with warm water in the morning.
Remedy – 2: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has Terpinen – 4 – ol that exhibit antimicrobial and antiseptic property which protects your nails from infections. It penetrates deep into the thick nails and clears discolored or yellow nails.
- Pour few drops of tea tree oil in a small bowl filled with warm water and stir well.
- Place your nails in this water and soak it for about 5 minutes.
- After that, take out your nails and pat dry it.
- Continue doing it a few times a week to grab strong shiny nails.
Note: Or mix 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin E oil. Apply it on your nails and massage gently. Rinse off with lukewarm water after it gets dried completely.
Remedy – 3: (Green Tea)
The antioxidants in green tea help to make your nails strong and healthy. It also prevents nails from getting brittle and yellow discoloration.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of green tea, few drops of wheat germ oil and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Stir well and soak your nails in this mix for 5 minutes and wipe off using a dry cloth.
- Regular follow – up of this process for twice a week will help you to get relief from nail problems.
- Or simply soak your nails in a freshly brewed green tea for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Also, massage your nails with a mixture prepared by stirring few drops of green tea essential oil with aloe vera gel or coconut oil for once or twice a week.
Remedy – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a powerful house of many nutrients, enzymes, and acids that protect your nails and makes it healthy and strong. Always use raw, organic and unpasteurized ACV with the mother content for best results.
- Mix equal quantities of organic ACV and water in a small bowl.
- Stir well and soak your nails in this mix for about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Repeat it daily till you prevent nail problems and having a healthy nail growth.
Note: Or drink 1 glass of water mixed with 1 teaspoon of organic ACV for 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 5: (Flaxseeds)
Flaxseeds have micronutrients like magnesium, B vitamins, zinc, potassium, protein and lecithin along with omega – 3 fatty acids which are essential for healthy nail growth.
- Apply flaxseed oil on your nails at night before going to bed.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and be sure to cover your nails and cuticles thoroughly.
- Let it dry for few minutes and then wear gloves to retain the moisture.
- Remove the gloves in the morning and repeat it regularly.
Note: Or mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed to your cereals or smoothies and have it daily as a part of your diet.
Tips and Precautions:
- Vitamin E oil moisturizes your nail to keep it hydrated and healthy. So, apply vitamin E oil (or vitamin E enriched oil) on the nails. Massage gently for few minutes. Also, consume vitamin E capsules.
- Beer has a great source of selenium, silicon, biotin and potassium that helps for making healthy and strong nails. Mix 1 tablespoon each of warm olive oil, beer and ACV in a bowl. Soak your nails for 15 minutes. After that, dry your nails and repeat it regularly.
- Regular massage of your nails with nail cream or moisturizing lotion or any natural oil at night before bedtime will help to improve the blood circulation and make your nails grow stronger.
- Intake of biotin rich foods like salmon, carrots, egg yolks, soybeans, peanuts, lentils, almonds, corn, fortified cereals, banana, etc. in your daily diet. Or take biotin supplements with prior consult with your doctor for healthy nails.
- Consume protein-rich foods like chicken, lean meats, eggs, nuts, seafood, quinoa, tofu, low-fat dairy, nuts and beans to increase your keratin (a protein essential for nails). Or drink protein milkshakes.
- Stop biting your nails, as it causes bacterial skin infections on the nails from your mouth.
- Avoid wearing acrylics and gels on the nails, as it damages your nails (nail beds). Also, stop picking at your nail polish why because it often removes the top layer of your nail bed.
- Never ever skip base coats and top coats on your nails, as they protect your nails from staining. Also, it’s not suggested to use your nails as tools for scraping glue or peeling labels or opening a bottle.
- Consume foods that are rich in folic acid (vitamin B9), vitamin A and vitamin C which are essential for proper nail growth.
- Have your own manicure tools (don’t share them with others) and do regular manicure and pedicure process to get rid of dirt, dead cells and other fungus weakening your nails.
- It’s always recommended to take some special care about your cuticles. While you soak your nails, use a cuticle remover and cuticle stick on nails to make them clean. Also, moisturize them regularly.
- Limit your nails exposure to harsh chemicals or environmental irritants. Wear gloves to your hands while working to protect your nails.
- Make sure to consult your doctor before taking any supplements for your nail growth.
Follow these remedies and tips regularly to get a strong and healthy nail growth. Did you tried any of these methods or do you know any other effective remedy for healthy nail growth? Then share it with us.