Whenever you are having any discomfort and uneasiness in the upper stomach, which in turn makes you an involuntary urge to vomit, then you’re suffering from nausea. The discomfort can be caused due to many reasons like morning sickness, dehydration, pollution, food poisoning, motion sickness, overeating, upset stomach, certain medications, etc.
It is a sign of the body that something went wrong inside either by eating habits or foods that body wants to get rid of. It is accompanied by certain symptoms like sweating, dizziness, vomiting, feeling hot, difficulty in breathing or consuming food, etc.
Don’t worry, it’s not a serious health product or needs a medical attention. It is a normal issued which you can easily get rid of it with some natural remedies.
Here in this article, we will know how to deal with nausea using an amazing natural ingredient called honey. Scroll down to know more about honey for nausea.
Does Honey Work for Nausea?
Honey is a natural sweetener that has many essential nutrients which aid in proper digestion and soothe the digestive tract to clear the feeling of discomfort in the upper abdomen.
- It exhibits antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that help to clear the microbes causing indigestion and other intestinal issues.
- It is enriched with enzymes – diastase, peroxidase, catalase, invertase, inulase, acid phosphatase, and glucose oxidase helps for proper digestion and relieves nausea caused by an upset stomach.
- It eases nausea with its potassium content and coats the esophageal to soothe the stomach lining.
- It neutralizes the stomach acids and reduces the effect caused by over eating or morning sickness.
- You can tone up the stomach muscles and stabilizes the content of hydrochloric acid in the stomach with the regular intake of honey.
How to use Honey for Nausea:
Here are some best ways of using honey for treating nausea. Follow these methods until you get relief from nausea.
Method – 1: (Honey)
Consuming raw honey is the best way to deal with nausea. Here are few ways of consuming raw honey to get rid of nausea.
- Simple consume 2 teaspoons of raw honey for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Prefer to use manuka honey rather than normal raw honey. Spread 1 teaspoon of manuka honey on the bread piece and consume it before each meal and also 20 minutes before your bedtime.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey in 1 glass of lukewarm water and consume it on daily basis. For best results, mix some fresh lemon juice and drink it in the early morning.
- Use honey as your natural sweetener instead of using sugar or other sweeteners for not only curing nausea but also many health benefits.
Method – 2: (Honey with Lemon)
Most people choose lemon to get relief from their nausea. Inhaling the lemon smell will reduce the feeling of nausea and the rich content of vitamin C and citric acid in the lemon will neutralize the stomach acids to clear the feeling of nausea.
Here are few ways of using honey – lemon for treating nausea.
- Stir 1 teaspoon each of raw honey and fresh lemon juice in a bowl. Consume it after inhaling the smell of lemon.
- Mix some honey and lemon juice in 1 cup of water and drink this water to reduce the nauseated feeling.
- Simply mix 1 tablespoon each of ginger juice (or mint juice) and lemon juice in 2 tablespoons of honey. Stir and consume it followed with 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Or else pour 1/2 cup each of dried peppermint and lemon balm and 2 cups of honey in a saucepan and place in on low heat till honey melts. Then cool the mix for 2 – 3 hours and strain the mix into a glass jar. Mix it well and consume 1 tablespoon of this mix regularly or add it to toast, tea or other foods.
- The combination of curry leaves, honey and lemon will treat nausea caused due to morning sickness, as they calm down the intestinal tract and prevents the contractions. Crush 15 – 20 curry leaves and extracts its juice into a bowl. Then add 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of honey. Stir and consume it 2 – 3 times daily to clear the feeling of nausea.
- Ginger, honey, mint, and lemon – all are effective in treating nausea. So, crush 1–inch of fresh ginger root and 10 – 15 mint leaves to make a paste. Extract its juice and mix 1 tablespoon each of honey and fresh lemon juice. Stir and consume this herbal juice twice daily till you clear nausea.
Method – 3: (Honey with Ginger)
Ginger neutralizes the stomach acids by promoting the secretion of various digestive enzymes. The phenols in ginger help to relax the stomach muscles and thereby reduce the over-activity of the stomach.
Here are few ways of using honey – ginger for treating nausea.
- With Ginger Juice – Stir 1 teaspoon each of honey and fresh ginger juice and consume it when you’re suffering from nausea. Also, mix 7 – 10 drops of ginger juice in 1 teaspoon of honey and have it in the morning with an empty stomach. Or stir 1 teaspoon each of onion juice and ginger juice in 2 tablespoons of honey and drink it.
- With Ginger Tea – Pour 1/4 cup of sliced ginger root and 6 cups of water in a pan and place it on the stove. Boil it and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and add 2 tablespoons of honey. Stir and drink this ginger tea to reduce the feeling of nausea. Also, add honey in other teas such as fennel tea, green tea, peppermint tea or other herbal teas.
- With Grated Ginger – Add 1 teaspoon each of honey and grated ginger in a bowl and stir. Consume it to get relief from nausea. If you feel it strong then slowly suck out the juice and spit out the fiber.
- With Ground Ginger – Mix 1 teaspoon of ground ginger in 2 – 3 teaspoons of raw honey. Consume this mix either directly or simply eat it by spreading on the toast. Consume it in your daily diet.
Method – 4: (Honey with Cinnamon)
The catechins and soothing property of cinnamon will clear the stomach irritation, aid in proper digestion and relieves your acid reflux or gastric problems to treat nausea.
Here are few ways of using honey and cinnamon for nausea.
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder (or a small cinnamon stick) in 1 cup of water and boil it for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain the water and add 1 tablespoon of honey. Stir well and consume it slowly on whenever you suffer from nausea.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of organic honey in 1 glass of warm water. Stir and drink it thrice daily until you get relief from nausea.
- Simply mix 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon in 1 teaspoon of honey to make a fine paste. Consume it regularly for best results.
Note: Pregnant or nursing women should not drink this mix without consulting their doctor.
Method – 5: (Honey with Cloves)
Cloves have an aromatic and soothing property that work well in clearing nausea caused by morning sickness. It clears indigestion by stimulating the digestive enzymes.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of clove powder in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Stir and steep it for 5 – 7 minutes.
- After that, strain the water and mix 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink it warm clove tea slowly to get rid of nausea and its symptoms.
- Or simply grind few dry roast cloves to powder and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it. Stir to make a paste and lick it slowly to relieve from the feeling of nausea.
- Also, use other spices like cardamom by adding 1 tablespoon of honey in 1 gram of baked cardamom and consume it daily for proper digestion and thereby to clear nausea.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also mix honey with other natural ingredients like apple cider vinegar water, rice water, crushed cumin seeds, orange juice, pomegranate juice or any smoothies and drink it to get relief from nausea.
- Always use raw, organic and unprocessed honey rather than normal honey for grabbing more health and beauty benefits, including this nausea.
- Also, prefer organic farm honey why because grayanotoxins (chemicals) found in honey due to different kinds of flowers, which make a toxic reaction to the nervous system. This will prevent the nerve cells from functioning properly and gets some control over the brain and body.
- Make sure to check whether you’re allergic to honey or pollen before using this raw honey for treating nausea. Never ever give honey to your babies under 1 year, as they may be at a risk of infant botulism.
- Consult your doctor for treating your nausea, if you didn’t get any relief from nausea and its symptoms after using these honey methods.
- Drink plenty of water, consume a healthy diet, avoid overeating and do regular exercises (include yoga and meditation) to stay away from nausea.
- Get enough sleep to lead a stress-free and healthy life. Avoid over eating and follow some proper lifestyle habits to prevent nausea and its frequent occurrence.
- Apply acupressure on p6 point (or inner gate) is a point placed on 2 – 3 finger widths down from the top crease in the wrist. Apply some gentle pressure to this area whenever you feel nauseous and hold the pressure for 20 seconds to 5 minutes and breathe deeply.
Try these natural honey methods to relieve your nausea. Let me know which one works well in clearing your nausea by sharing your experience with us in the below comments box.