Coughing – a common action of the body to remove any blockage or irritant in the throat or upper air passages. It is mostly caused due to viral or bacterial infections in the respiratory system, stress, dust, pollen, smoking, environmental and other irritants.
A dry cough and production cough are two types of a cough that affect people. Itchy or a sore throat, headache, chest pain, congestion, etc. are some symptoms experienced while suffering from a cough.
Instead of using over the counter medicines or cough syrups, just give a try to natural remedies that effectively relieves you from a cough without any side effects.
Honey is one best way that used from centuries to treat cold and cough. So, in this article, we will learn all about how honey works to treat a cough.
Let’s get started…
How Does Honey works for Cough?
Here are some properties of honey that help you to get an idea on how to get relief from a cough.
- Honey has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that help to clear the bacteria, virus or any other germs causing cough.
- It has an antioxidant property that helps to defend the body from the infection.
- It acts as a demulcent due to its stickiness and viscosity that helps a lot to coat and soothe the mucous membranes.
- It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that soothe a sore throat and the irritation, which is caused due to coughing.
- It is enriched with essential nutrients and enzymes that help a lot in strengthening the immune system and clearing the cough.
- It acts as a natural cough suppressant that relieves you from coughing and its symptoms.
How to use Honey for Treating Cough:
Here are some best ways of using honey for clearing your cough. Try these honey methods to get rid of coughing.
Method – 1: (Honey)
Honey soothes the irritated throat or coats the mucous membranes to clear the mucus causing cough.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of raw honey for 1 – 3 times daily till you get complete control over coughing.
- For best results, take it once at night before bedtime to get rid of a cough and to disrupt the sleep.
- For treating cough in children, give them 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon of raw honey.
Method – 2: (Honey with Pepper)
Black pepper helps to clear mucous or chest congestion along with expelling all the nasty stuff that gunk up the lungs to get rid coughing.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper in 1 tablespoon of raw honey in a mug.
- Fill it with 8 ounces of boiling water and stir it till the honey and pepper flakes mixed well in water.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and stir once to drink it.
- Repeat the intake of this drink for 1 – 2 times daily till you get rid of mucous and thereby coughing.
- Or mix 1/4 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and ginger ground, 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir well and drink this syrup for thrice daily.
- Also, mix 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 1 teaspoon of honey. Stir well and swallow this mix for 2 – 3 times daily.
Method – 3: (Honey with Lemon)
Lemon has citric acid and vitamin C that strengthen the immunity and fights off the infection. This combination is very effective in treating your cough and its symptoms.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of raw honey in a small bowl.
- Stir well and consume it.
- For best results, mix a pinch of cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to this lemon – honey mix.
- Repeat the intake of this mix for few times daily.
Or pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 1/4 cup of raw honey in a pan. Heat the mix till coconut oil melts and remove it from heat. Store it and consume 1 spoonful of this warm mixture whenever you needed to get rid of the problem.
Also, mix the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 teaspoon of honey in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well and drink it to get rid of a cough.
Or else, simply mix lemon juice with raw honey and have this mix to clear this respiratory problem.
Method – 4: (Honey with Garlic)
Garlic has enzymes that boost up the immune system and calm down your cough. It has antimicrobial and expectorant properties that prevent the infections in the upper respiratory system.
- Add finely chopped 3 garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon of oregano in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes and remove it from heat.
- Strain and let it cool down for few minutes and then add 1 tablespoon of raw honey to it.
- Consume it twice daily until you get complete relief from a cough.
- Or simply crush 1 garlic clove and add 3 drops of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of honey to it. Stir well and consume it twice daily.
- Also, onion treats a cough effectively, just simply mix 1 ½ teaspoon of fresh onion juice to 1 teaspoon of raw honey. Stir well and consume this mix for twice daily.
Method – 5: (Honey Cough Drops with Licorice)
The expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties of licorice will loosen and clear the mucus and thereby clears the airways to get rid of the problem.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of licorice root, chopped ginger, rosehips, chamomile, sage and cinnamon and 2 cups of water in a pan.
- Boil it and remove from heat. Allow it to steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain and stir it by adding 1 cup of raw honey to it in another saucepan.
- Stir well till it reaches 300 degrees and removes the flame.
- Pour this mix into candy molds and let it cool for few minutes.
- Then remove the molds and toss them in stevia powder.
- Store them in an airtight container and use it once whenever you suffer from a cough or congestion.
Also, Read on Natural Cough Syrups for treating your Cough
Tips and Precautions:
- You can give honey to the kids (above 2 years) for treating their cough. Give them 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of honey at night before bedtime to get rid of night time cough and also to sleep better.
- You can use eucalyptus honey, Labiatae honey, citrus honey, buckwheat honey, manuka honey or other forms of honey will help you to get rid of the problem. For children, manuka honey or agave nectar or buckwheat honey are best alternatives.
- If you’re suffering from fever, wheezing, prolonged or worsening cough, cold or flu symptoms then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- You can also use nasal sprays, a saline solution with neti pots, a humidifier to keep the air moist or prop up the head while sleeping to relieve from the discomforts of cough.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon of honey to 1 cup of your herbal teas before drinking.
- If you’re allergic to pollen then avoid using honey for treating any problem.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids (especially warm liquids) like warm water, herbal teas, coffee, soups, etc. to get rid of your cough and congestion.
- Try steam or hot water showers or warm compress or menthol vapors to loosen the mucus and thereby to clear the cold and cough.
- Avoid any foods (like dry foods) which causing a cough to you.
- Consume a mix prepared by stirring 1 teaspoon each of honey and vinegar and a small amount of butter, regularly take it twice daily till you get rid of a cough.
That’s all for now about Honey for Cough, do you know any other successful honey methods for treating your cough? Then share it with us in the below comments box.