Dry or chapped or cracked lips are most common problem occurs when the lips are unable to produce enough natural oils to moisturize themselves. Dehydration, smoking, sun exposure, dry or cold weather, vitamin deficiency, environmental irritants, licking or peeling the lips, allergies, usage of chemical based lip products, certain medications, open – mouthed breathing, etc. are some causes for these dry or chapped lips.
Do you know that usage of commercial lip balms will reduce the lip’s ability to hold moisture and also contain cancer causing chemicals?
So, instead of using the commercial lip balms, you can use some natural remedies for treating these dry and chapped lips. Honey comes best in the list of natural remedies, which helps to moisture and softens your chapped lips.
Scroll down to know more about how honey clears chapped or cracked lips in a safe and effective manner.
Is Honey Really Effective for Treating Chapped Lips?
Most people use honey to moisturize the chapped lips but don’t know how it works in dealing with chapped lips. Here are some of its properties that explain you how honey clears dry or cracked lips effectively.
- Honey has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help to prevent the germs or microbes causing infection or dryness on the lips.
- It acts as a humectant that helps to lock the moisture in the skin cells and thereby prevents dryness or cracked lips.
- It has anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties that reduce the bleeding, swelling, pain or other discomfort caused by cracked lips.
- It forms a layer on the lips to prevent it from getting over dry and protect it from outside irritants.
- It heals the dry skin and clears the skin peeling with its essential nutrients. It moisturizes and heals the damaged caused by this cracked lips.
- It helps a lot in regaining the natural oils and makes your skin soft and supple.
How to Use Honey for Chapped Lips?
Here are some best ways of using honey for clearing these dry or chapped lips. All you need is to follow them regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Method – 1: (Honey)
Honey moisturizes the lips and helps for the speedy recovery of chapped or peeled lips.
- Apply some raw honey on your lips as a layer.
- Prefer to apply it at night before bedtime.
- Leave it on for overnight (or at least 20 – 30 minutes) and wipe off the lips to rinse with water.
- Repeat the application of honey for several times daily till you get soft and smooth lips.
Method – 2: (Honey Scrub with Sugar)
Sugar exfoliates the skin to remove the accumulated dead cells or skin flakes on the lips. Honey thereby moisturizes the skin for a faster recovery.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar in 1 teaspoon of honey to make a thick scrub paste.
- Apply it on the chapped lips and massage gently for few minutes.
- Leave for another 5 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Continue this lip scrubbing for thrice a week regularly.
- Also, use 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or) 2 drops of lavender oil for extra benefits.
- Or simply combine brown sugar, honey and cocoa powder (or olive oil) to make a fine scrub paste. Store this mix in a container and slather some on the lips. Exfoliate gently for a minute or two and wash it after few minutes with water. Dry it and do the same regularly for 3 times a week.
Check out the Best Lips Scrubs to clear Dry or Chapped Lips
Method – 3: (Honey Lip Mask with Milk Cream and Rose Petals)
Rose petals will help to enhance the natural lip color. The fat content of milk cream will make it as a natural lip moisturizer. Honey softens and moisturizes the lip. So, this combination will definitely make you enjoy with well moisturized and smooth rosy lips.
- Take a handful of rose petals and grind them to make a fine paste.
- Then mix 1 teaspoon each of milk cream, raw honey, and rose petals paste in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the lips by massaging gently.
- Wait for 20 – 30 minutes and wash your lips with raw milk followed by water.
- Continue doing the same once or twice daily to get relief from the dry lips.
Note: Or even use rose water to get soft and rosy lips. Just combine 1 teaspoon each of rose water and raw honey. Slather this mix on the lips and rinse with water after 15 minutes. Do it once or twice daily.
Method – 4: (Honey with Glycerin)
Both honey and vegetable glycerin acts as a humectant that retains or preserve the moisture to prevent dryness.
- Mix some glycerin and raw honey in a small bowl.
- Spread it on your lips at night before bedtime.
- Leave it for overnight and rinse with water in the next morning.
- Repeat the same application regularly to enjoy smooth and well-moisturized lips.
- Also, you can use other moisturizing agents like Vaseline or coconut oil instead of glycerin. Combine 1/2 teaspoon each of melted coconut oil and honey. Spread it on your lips at night and leave for overnight. Rinse in the morning and repeat it daily.
- Simply wet your lips using warm water and spread a thin layer of honey and wait for few seconds. Then apply Vaseline over honey and leave for 15 minutes. Wipe off the mix with a cotton ball soaked in water. Do it once or twice daily.
Method – 5: (Honey with Lemon Juice)
Lemon bleaches the skin naturally and exfoliates the skin to remove dead skin cells and prevent skin peeling. Honey not only nourishes the skin and protects it from the outside pollutants and irritants.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and raw honey.
- Spread it on the chapped lips and massage gently.
- Let it sit for overnight and wash the lips in the next morning with water.
- Continue doing this process daily till you get complete relief from dry or chapped lips.
Note: Or simply add 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin E oil (or 1/4 teaspoon of castor oil) in this lemon juice – honey mix for grabbing extra benefits.
Method – 6: (DIY Honey Lip Balm)
You can also prepare a natural lip balm to protect your lips from harmful sun rays and environmental pollutants with a simple ingredient known as Honey.
Here are some ways of preparing honey based lip balms. Just go through the process and prepare it at your home to use it regularly as your commercial lip balms.
- Mix 1 cup of sweet almond oil with 1/2 cup of beeswax and melt this mixture over low heat. Stir it until they melted completely and whisk 2 tablespoons of raw honey in it. Allow the mix to get cool completely and store it in a container or an empty lip balm tube for regular usage.
- Stir manuka honey, sugar and olive oil and transfer this mix into an airtight container. Refrigerate this mix for few hours to get solidified. Use it daily as required to get rid of the dry or chapped lips.
- Melt 4 teaspoons of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of beeswax pellets in a double boiler. Remove the flame and mix 1/2 teaspoon each of raspberry powder, zinc oxide powder, and honey in it. Transfer this mix into a lip balm container and keep aside to solidify. Use it daily to enjoy moisturized smooth lips.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of beeswax and 2 tablespoons of olive oil using a double boiler. Then add 2 drops of essential oils and 1/2 tablespoon of manuka honey in it. Stir well and pour it into a container. Let it cool and use it as needed to enjoy soft and gorgeous lips.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also apply honey occasionally to moisturize the lips and to make it soft and supple.
- It should not be given to infants or people with compromised immune system (due to age or illness) why because it results in botulism (a fatal illness).
- Always avoid the usage of honey, if you’re allergic to pollen, as it causes some skin allergic reactions.
- Licking the lips will worsen the problem, as saliva dries the skin and thereby make the lips to take more time to get moisturized. So, avoid licking your lips, instead apply honey or lip balm.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to prevent dehydration and also to get moisturized from inside the body.
- Peeling the chapped skin from lips will provide space for infections to enter into the lips. So, avoid peeling the skin instead apply honey or natural lip moisturizers.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air and thereby protect your lips from the cold or dry weather.
- Always use natural lip balms and avoid applying sunscreen to your lips, as the SPF will burn the sensitive lip skin and make it dark with irritation.
- Exfoliate the lips with the homemade lip scrub naturally to remove the dead skin and to enhance its color.
Follow these honey methods to get beautiful smooth lips. Do you know any successful honey methods to get rid of dry or chapped lips? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply