Coconut oil is the best oil used to treat many hair and scalp problems like dandruff, dry or itchy or flaky scalp, head lice and scalp psoriasis or eczema with its amazing properties. Some of them are listed below.
- It has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that fight against the germs causing dandruff and other fungal infections.
- It has essential fatty acids and vitamin E content that restores the lost moisture, binds the proteins in the hair and protects it from breakage.
- It penetrates deep into the scalp which in turn helps to nourish your hair and maintain its elasticity.
- It provides the essential nutrients to lock the moisture and thus prevents dry, flaky and damaged hair.
- It withstands the effect caused due to hair styling products and also gives you a shiny hair without the help of those cosmetic products.
So, finally, we came to know that the regular usage of coconut oil is very effective in protecting your hair from damage and also to maintain a healthy hair growth.
Then why not we use coconut oil based hair products? Though there are many coconut oil based hair care products available in the market, they may or may not be natural products and might exhibit some side effects in long run.
So, here we are going to know some natural homemade coconut oil hair products. All you need to do is to follow them regularly to maintain a healthy and strong hair growth.
Product – 1: (Coconut Oil Hair Cream)
Usage of this hair cream will deeply nourish your dry or dull hair and provides you with a moisturized shiny hair.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and few drops of any essential oil in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Stir well till it becomes like a whipped cream.
- Apply a small amount of this cream to your hair.
- Leave it for 45 – 60 minutes to overnight and rinse it off.
- Regular usage will make your hair strong and shiny.
Note: Or simply use this hair cream to any other deep conditioning hair mask for more effective results.
Product – 2: (Coconut Oil Shampoo)
This is one of my favorite coconut oil recipes for hair care, as it leaves the hair soft and healthy along with treating the scalp problems.
- Melt 1/3 cup each of organic coconut oil and coconut milk (fresh or canned) in a pan over low heat for few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and pour this mix into a bottle.
- Add 1 cup of liquid castile soap and secure the bottle with its lid.
- Shake it well and then add 50 drops of your favorite essential oils in it.
- Shake well till all the ingredients are mixed and use it as your natural shampoo on your hair.
- To apply, squeeze this shampoo on your hair directly, rub all over your hair to get the lather and rinse off thoroughly.
- This natural shampoo is not as thick as commercial shampoos and also won’t produce lather like commercial ones.
Prefer using lavender, peppermint, wild orange, rosemary, lemongrass or clary sage essential oils.
- For fine hair, reduce the amount of coconut oil and for thick dry or curly hair, add few drops of avocado oil to the shampoo.
Product – 3: (Coconut Oil Conditioner)
Coconut oil acts as a conditioner for your hair and here we are mixing coconut oil with vitamin E oil and jojoba oil for extra nourishment that treats dry, flaky, itchy and damaged hair.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of vitamin E oil and jojoba oil and 10 drops of any essential oil in 2/3 cup of coconut oil.
- Stir all these ingredients till it forms as a smooth and creamy conditioner.
- Store it in a glass jar with a proper lid.
- Use this coconut oil conditioner after rinsing your hair with coconut oil shampoo.
- To apply, take 1 – 2 teaspoons of conditioner and spread it all over your hair.
- Let it penetrate your hair and then rinse off with water after few minutes.
- Regular follow-up will help to prevent dry and dull hair.
Product – 4: (Coconut Hair Oil)
Coconut oil itself is excellent hair oil that promotes hair growth, treats dry, flaky and damaged hair.
- Comb your hair gently and apply melted coconut oil on the hair at night before bed time.
- Massage it for few minutes to saturate the oil from the roots to tip.
- Cover your hair using a shower cap or any plastic cover.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse off your hair thoroughly with mild shampoo in the morning.
- Continue doing this process for once or twice a week depending on your hair damage.
- Or use warm coconut oil rather than normal oil to grab maximum benefits.
- Also, mix coconut oil with other carrier oil or essential oils to get rid of hair problems and to promote healthy hair growth.
Product – 5: (Coconut Oil as Hair Color)
Coconut oil acts as a great base for natural hair colors with its deep penetrating property into the hair shaft.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of spent coffee grounds in 1 cup of strong coffee.
- Stir it well and apply it on your hair thoroughly.
- Let it sit for about 45 – 60 minutes but the longer you leave, the darker will be the results.
- Finally, rinse off and style it as you desired.
Note: To get blonde hair or add highlights, mix 1/4 cup each of lemon juice and coconut oil in 1/2 cup of strong chamomile tea. Apply on your hair from roots to tip and cover with a shower cap. Use a hair dryer or sit in the sun to keep your cap warm for 50 – 80 minutes and rinse off.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use natural organic coconut oil that reminds you with the aroma of fresh coconuts when you open the jar/bottle.
- Avoid blow dryers, using commercial hair styling products, frequent straightening or curling hair, etc. which cause damage to your hair.
- Consuming a healthy diet with plenty of water will restructure your hair and promotes healthy growth from inside the body.
- Reduce your stress levels and follow some hair care hygiene to get rid of any hair or scalp problems.
- All these coconut oil products will protect your hair from harmful elements and keeps it strong, shiny and nourished.
Stop using commercial hair care products and give a trial to these natural coconut oil hair products. Feel free to share your queries or suggestion about these products in the comments box.