Cinnamon is a wonderful spice that not only used to add flavor to your recipes but also exhibits many medicinal properties which make it widely used all around the world as a natural remedy for many years.
Do you know that cinnamon is considered as more valuable than gold in the old days?
Most of the researchers have ranked cinnamon as the first most popular herbs and medicinal spice in the world among 26 best herbs due to its effective antioxidant nature. The unique color, smell and flavor of cinnamon come from the oily part of the tree and make it as a special tree.
All the health benefits of cinnamon will come from the bark of this cinnamomum tree and this bark has many health-promoting properties like cinnamaldehyde, cinnamate & cinnamic acid. In many studies, it is proved that the pure bark, ground powder, essential oil or any extract form in which its phenolic compounds, high potent polyphenol antioxidants, and flavonoids are isolated will enhance the health benefits of cinnamon.
Cinnamon has anti-microbial, anti-diabetic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immunity booster, cancer and heart disease protecting properties. Do you know that 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon contains 19 calories, 4 grams of fiber, 68% of manganese, 0 grams of sugar or fat or protein, 4% of iron, 8% of calcium and 3% vitamin K that help you to stay fit and healthy?
The intake of a little (1/2 teaspoon) of cinnamon bark/spice daily will show positive results on the blood sugar levels, immunity, digestion and healthy functioning of the liver whereas the stronger doses have extreme benefits on improving heart functioning, reduce diabetes, cut down the risk of cancer & neuro-degenerative diseases.
Let’s have a look at the health benefits of cinnamon in this article and use this remedy to get rid of many health and beauty problems.
Proven Health Benefits of Cinnamon:
The cinnamaldehyde is the main substance responsible for the fantastic properties of cinnamon. It exhibits antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that make cinnamon as an effective ingredient to be included in your daily diet. The high concentration of antioxidants and high fiber content will not only protect the body from free radicals damage, reduce inflammation and risk of developing other diseases.
Most of us know that there is no cure for type – 2 diabetes but cinnamon can be used as an effective remedy for controlling this diabetic problem. Even nutritionists also advised using cinnamon for managing your type – 2 diabetes, as it works better than over the counter prescription medications.
- It treats the problem in different ways, which are listed below.
- It reduces blood pressure and thereby has a positive impact on the blood markers to prevent fluctuations in your blood sugar levels.
- It reduces insulin resistance that lowers your fasting blood sugar levels by 29% and thus reduces the type – 2 diabetes.
- Cinnamon works well on the muscle cells directly and forces them to remove the sugar from the bloodstream and helps to convert the sugar or glucose into energy.
- Increase in insulin sensitivity in the body at the time of birth for those without type 1 diabetes and then slowly reduce it as we age and consume sugar. This makes the sugar floats around in the blood to cause diabetes and other health problems. But the usage of non-toxic cinnamon will repair the receptors to get respond to insulin and thereby the sugar level normalizes due to this insulin sensitivity.
Also, remember that cinnamon is the best alternative to sugar with its naturally sweet taste that you can add it to plain yogurt or desserts or snacks to reduce your sugar /glucose fluctuations in the blood.
2. Lowers Bad Cholesterol (LDL)
However, diabetes is not one major problem to include cinnamon in your diet but you have to take cinnamon for treating many health problems.
Remember that there are many factors like improved serum glucose, lowering fasting blood glucose and reducing LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and total cholesterol will have a positive impact on the Type – 2 diabetes. They help you not to suffer from diabetes, hereditary cholesterol problems.
Cinnamon helps to raise good cholesterol (HDL) and removes bad cholesterol (LDL) from the body. Regular intake of cinnamon will help you to reduce the effect of high-fat meals by slowing the rise in your blood sugar levels after meals.
So, include cinnamon in your daily diet to reduce the damage caused due to the effect of occasional high-fat foods on your health.
3. Exhibits Antifungal, Antibacterial, and Antiviral Properties:
Cinnamon exhibits antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that fight against the fungal, bacterial and viral elements in the food. Do you know that in the Middle Ages, due to lack of refrigerator or food storage devices, people use this cinnamon to prevent the food from spoiling?
Sprinkling cinnamon on many recipes (both sweet and savory) will delay the spoiling process of the food. It is also used to treat many health problems that range from lung disorders to common cold. Many Ayurvedic doctors suggest that it clear up the mucus and encourages circulation to clear the lung congestion issues.
It also treats a seasonal cough, bronchitis, and other respiratory problems effectively than other remedies. Do you know that some studies say that cinnamon extract will fight off the HIV virus by simply preventing the virus from entering cells? So, regular usage of cinnamon will strengthen the immune system and fights off the infection causing microbes entering into the skin cells.
4. Treats the Symptoms of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Diseases:
Both Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are neurological disorders that are mostly incurable but we can manage its symptoms to get relief from the problem. Cinnamon is a best natural remedy that helps you to get control over these neurological disorder symptoms.
It helps the neurons and thus improves the motor functioning in those people who are suffering from Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s. So, sufferers have to continue the usage of cinnamon in their regular routines to get relief from these problems.
5. Anti-Carcinogenic Property:
There are many superfoods that contain anti-carcinogenic properties but one best natural super food is the cinnamon. Although, research says that this experiment is limited to animal studies and in that, it is proved that cinnamon extract slows down the growth of cancer cells and thereby induces the cancerous cell death.
If these properties do extend to human beings then cinnamon helps a lot in slow down the growth and kills those cancerous cells. Even if these properties won’t treat or cure cancer in humans than the other cinnamon properties will contribute to its possible anti-carcinogenic effects.
6. Has Anti-inflammatory Property:
Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory property, in which its regular consumption will reduce the systemic and specific inflammations, especially helpful for the people in the western world.
Systemic inflammation is a leading problem that results in the rise of chronic disease. So, include cinnamon in your daily diet to reduce the systemic inflammation significantly.
Coming to specific inflammation reduction¸ the consumption of cinnamon will reduce the inflammation of certain problems like headaches, arthritis, body pains or other pains. It boosts up the circulation and pushes circulation to the joints and thereby relieves you from the Raynaud’s syndrome or arthritis pain and its symptoms.
7. Helps to Manage PCOS:
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) has numerous symptoms that need to be managed properly and cinnamon is one such a key element that manages with its numerous characteristics. The first and foremost thing the cinnamon manages is the insulin resistance in women suffering from PCOS, which results in weight gain.
In a recent study, it is proved that cinnamon has reduced the insulin resistance in women with PCOS. Anyone can consume this cinnamon those who are suffering from an insulin resistance or diabetes problem.
Coming to other women problems like heavy menstrual bleeding, the cinnamon will help to mitigate this bleeding that associated with common conditions of female health like endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and menorrhagia.
How to include Cinnamon in your Diet?
With all the evidence provided in the above article, we came to know the wonders of cinnamon. Make sure that not to take this cinnamon in large doses, as it found to be toxic. So, consume cinnamon in normal quantities
You can encourage a cinnamon stick in the places where you want to add like in dishes, savory dishes, tea, coffee, etc. Or you can add this spice to your overall health for its undeniably enchanting flavor & aroma. Remember that it is not only much better to use cinnamon in your healthy recipes but you want to source the cinnamon somewhere you’re trusting it for several reasons.
What Kind of Cinnamon should be used to grab these Benefits?
Always remember that not all cinnamon is equal in its qualities, so be careful while buying this spice. In general, all the cinnamon available in the grocery stores & health stores are cousins of true cinnamon.
Cinnamomum cassia (or Chinese cinnamon or cassia cinnamon) will exhibit similar color and flavor but doesn’t have the health benefits like Cinnamomum verum (Ceylon cinnamon) provides on the body. So, it’s always best to purchase and use Ceylon cinnamon.
Consume cassia variety in very small doses, not more than 2 teaspoons per day why because of the higher concentration of courmarin, which in turn liver toxicity and exhibit blood thinning properties, if taken in large doses. So, it’s always a good decision to consult your doctor before using any new item (here cinnamon) in your diet to know all about its cons and pros as per your health issues.
How Much Cinnamon Should I Consume Per Day?
When once you purchased true Ceylon cinnamon then our thought will be the dosage – how much cinnamon or right quantity for grabbing its health and beauty benefits without any side effects.
As per U.S. Department of Health, the recommended dosage of cinnamon is up to 6 grams daily for 6 weeks or fewer. But it is suggested to take 1-week rest (or break) after using it for 6 weeks and then continue it.
Or simply you can reduce the cinnamon consumption for 5 days a week without taking rest for a week after completing 6 weeks.
The best ways to Add Cinnamon in your Diet:
There are so many ways to include cinnamon in your diet. You can use cinnamon in the form of ground powder, cinnamon bark oil, cinnamon sticks or capsules to grab its benefits. Some experts have given few suggestions on how to add cinnamon in your diet. Have a look at them and follow them regularly.
- Mix ½ – 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder to your coffee and stir well to drink it.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon powder on the fruit platter, smoothies, baked sweet potatoes or oatmeal and consume it.
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of lukewarm water. Drink it to enjoy many health and beauty benefits.
- Make sure that cinnamon should not be used alone. It should be combined with ginger and cardamom if you have an inactive digestive system.
- You can also use cinnamon scented candles, toothpaste with nutmeg, cinnamon oil and baking soda to boost the brain function.
- To prepare an orange and radish salad with cinnamon vinaigrette, you have to mix 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of orange juice, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 ½ teaspoons of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and ground red pepper in a bowl.
- Then mix 3 seedless oranges, 1 bunch freshly sliced radishes and 6 cups of torn spinach in a bowl as a salad. Now toss 1/2 of the vinaigrette with salad mixture and sprinkle 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. Serve the remaining vinaigrette at the table and serve it.
- Prepare a golden milk recipe by mixing 2 cups of unsweetened milk, 1 tablespoon each of honey and coconut oil, 1 teaspoon each of turmeric and cinnamon powder and a dash of black pepper and nutmeg in a pan over a medium-high heat. Boil and simmer for 5 minutes till the ingredients. Strain and drink this golden milk by garnishing it with cinnamon.
- Drink a cinnamon green smoothie by pouring 2 frozen bananas, 1 ½ packed cups of fresh washed spinach, 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk, 1 tablespoon of raw hulled hemp seeds, a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon in a blender. Blend it and drink this smoothie regularly.
- The only thing you have to keep in your mind that overconsumption of cinnamon or a rapid increase of cinnamon consumption will show some adverse effects. So, consult your doctor before starting any new supplement regimen.
- The antibacterial properties of cinnamon will clear the bacteria in your body (especially in your gut) without distinguishing good or bad bacteria, which in turn results in facing some cinnamon related digestive issues. So, incorporate some probiotic-rich fermented foods to replenish the digestive system with good bacteria.
- If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding or suffering from heavy menstrual cycle then avoid the intake of cinnamon and consult your doctor before adding cinnamon in your diet.
The Indian Ayurveda and Chinese medicine have long been using this cinnamon as a superpower natural ingredient to treat various problems like from cold, indigestion, menstrual cramps, kills cancer cells, attributes cognitive function and memory, etc.
People believe that cinnamon also used to improve energy, vitality, and circulation. So, no doubt cinnamon is a superfood which you can include it in your daily diet to grab its health and beauty benefits.
Did you experience any benefits using cinnamon? Then share it with us in the below comments box.