What is Gingivitis?
Gingivitis is a gum disease that becomes red, bleed and swollen at the time of brushing or flossing caused by the bacterial infection around the teeth. This bacteria is often called as plaque which is a combination of mucus and food particles that aren’t cleaned properly inside the mouth. It may also result in the inflammation of gums in tissue destruction and bone resorption around the teeth.
When you brush your teeth daily i.e. once or twice (morning and night) a day, you can save yourself from plaque. If you don’t do so, then there may be chances of developing gingivitis. Look for a toothpaste that completely focuses on gum protection to keep you strong, healthy and ever smiling.
Here in this article we will let you know about causes, symptoms and remedies to care for gingivitis problem with the usage of natural ingredients that are readily available in market.
Causes for Gingivitis
- Genetic factors.
- Regular smoking.
- Weak immune system.
- Poor oral health care habits.
- Vitamin C deficiency in people.
- Risk of gingivitis increases with age.
- Change in the hormones for women at the time of pregnancy.
- Consuming high dosage medicines like asteroids and calcium blockers.
- Cancer, HIV and diabetes is a high risk factor linked for developing gingivitis.
Symptoms for Gingivitis
- Bad breath.
- Swollen gums.
- Bleeding after brushing.
- Bright red or purple gums.
- Puffy gums inside your mouth.
- Lower part of your teeth is exposed to cold or hot conditions.
- Causing loose teeth when the pus is filled between teeth and gums.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Gingivitis
1. Salt to Get Rid of Gingivitis
Salt is the common ingredient that is found in every individual house. Though it is mostly used as a cooking ingredient for taste can also be helpful for treating gingivitis. The excellent anti-bacterial properties of salt is very soothy to the mucous membrane thereby reducing the swelling of gums.
Here we discussed only 2 Combinations i.e. one is salt-water and the other is salt-mustard oil-water. Both the salt solutions work well to cure gingivitis problem.
Method-1 (salt and water)
- Salt- 1 tbsp
- Lukewarm water- 200 ml or 1 glass
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and 1 tbsp of salt.
- Now add salt to a glass of water.
- Stir well and wash your mouth with this solution.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day especially after your meals.
Method-2 (salt, mustard oil and water)
- Salt- (1/2) tbsp
- Mustard oil- 2-3 drops
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Take (1/2) tbsp of salt and add 2 or 3 drops of mustard oil to it forming a thick paste.
- Rub your mouth gum gently with this mixture for 2 minutes.
- Now wash your mouth with warm water to get rid of this paste and repeat the process 2-3 times a day.
2. Baking Soda to Cure Gingivitis
Baking soda or bicarbonate of soda has the amazing quality of balancing pH levels i.e. acidic or alkaline nature. It is an inexpensive remedy for many common ailments. Use of baking soda as an essential ingredient makes impossible for the harmful bacteria and other microbes to survive in your mouth.
Here we shared more information about how baking soda with its wonderful combinations like peroxide and apple cider vinegar can treat gingivitis problem.
Method-1 (baking soda and water)
- Baking soda-(1/2) tbsp
- Warm water- 2-3 drops
- Mix ½ tbsp of baking soda with 2-3 drops of warm water to make a thick paste.
- Now brush your teeth with this baking soda paste for 2 minutes.
- Wash your mouth with warm water and repeat the process once in every 2-3 days.
- This solution will make your teeth look white and free from harmful infections.
Method-2 (baking soda, salt and water)
- Baking soda- 1tbsp
- Salt- 1tbsp
- Warm water- 1 cup
- The procedure is same as that of Method-1, but here we mix a tablespoon of baking soda and salt together.
- Wash your mouth with this solution (combination of salt and baking soda).
- Do this once in a day regularly in the early morning.
Method-3 (baking soda and peroxide)
- Baking soda -2 tbsp
- Hydrogen peroxide (diluted)-2 drops
- The procedure is as simple as others. Firstly, take 2 tbsp of baking soda.
- Add 2 drops of diluted hydrogen peroxide to the baking powder.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and apply it on to the gums prone to gingivitis.
- Rinse well and then clean with water to remove unwanted food or dust particles.
Method-4 (baking soda and apple cider vinegar)
- Baking soda- 2tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar- 2-3 drops
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Mix 2 tbsp of baking soda and 2-3 drops of apple cider vinegar.
- Now add a cup of warm water to the mixture to make a dilute solution.
- Clean your mouth with this solution and spit it out.
- Repeat the process twice a day.
- If you use directly without adding warm water to the mixture it results in soar throat and burns etc.,.
3. Tea Tree Oil for Gingivitis
Antibacterial and anti-septic properties of tea tree oil make a perfect remedy for all types of infections including the mouth. For this you just need to dilute tea tree oil by mixing with your regular tooth paste and rub it on affected gum areas. Though it’s quite crazy combination works well for your gingivitis problem..
- Organic tooth paste
- Tea tree oil- 2drops
- Add 2 drops of tea tree oil to the amount of toothpaste you regularly use to brush your teeth.
- Now brush your teeth with as you do regularly.
- Do not swallow as the tea tree oil is highly toxic when consumed.
4. Lemon Juice for Gingivitis
Lemon juice is an effective method in treating gum infections for many people. It is mainly due to the high vitamin C content, citric acid, ascorbic acid and ammonium salts of lemon juice makes an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Warm water-1 glass
- To make use of lemon juice for gingivitis, slice the lemon into 2 equal halves and squeeze out the juice into a glass of warm water.
- Mix well and drink this lemon juice after brushing your teeth in the early morning.
- If you don’t like the acidity of the lemon, then use half lemon added in a glass of water.
- The lemon juice mixed with warm water not only cleans your teeth but also detoxifies your body.
5. Oil Pulling to Treat Gingivitis
Oil pulling or oil swishing is a traditional remedy in India to treat mouth related problems. It involves the pulling of teeth using 1 tbsp of oil in the oral cavity such as coconut oil, sunflower oil or sesame oil. It is believed that it kills the harmful micro-organisms or toxins present in the mouth and boosts immune by detoxifying your body.
Method (coconut or sesame oil and water)
- Coconut or sesame oil- 2 tbsp
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Put 2 tbsp of coconut or sesame oil inside your mouth.
- Swish it around your mouth to ensure that every corner of the mouth comes in contact with the oil.
- At the beginning, start doing it only for 1-2 minutes and slowly increase the oil pulling time.
- After pulling oil in your mouth, spit out and wash with warm water.
- Oil pulling is best done in the morning just before you brush your teeth.
6. Turmeric for Gingivitis
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, an active component well known for powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. To use turmeric for gingivitis makes it as a fine powder. For better results it is combined with Neem powder, salt and alum powder.
Redness and swelling can be reduced by mixing with alum powder. It also kills the bacteria accumulated in your oral cavity which is responsible for gingivitis problem.
- Turmeric- 4 tbsp
- Neem powder-8 tbsp
- Salt- ¼ tbsp
- Alum powder- ¼ tbsp
- Mix all the 4 ingredients and store them in an air-tight container.
- Take some powder, apply it on your teeth, gums and rub gently.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a day for quick relief from gingivitis.
7. Guava Leaves for Gingivitis
Guava leaves are loaded with extra ordinary properties like antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial that helps to fight against the gingivitis disease. The leaves are very safe to chew and eat in which it contains a compound called guaijaverin.
Instead of chewing the guava leaves directly, it is made into a fine solution as a mouth washer. Here is the simple procedure to make your own guava leaf solution to treat gingivitis problem.
- Guava leaves- 4/6
- Water- 2cups
- Pour 2 cups of water in a container and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Wash guava leaves before you dip in a hot water and simmer it till water remains half of its original quantity.
- Allow it to cool for sometime and rinse your mouth with this water 2-3 times a day.
8. Sage for Gingivitis
Sage leaves contain the antimicrobial properties that can treat the infections and swelling as well. You can easily prepare a large quantity of this herbal mouth washer and store in a air-tight container or capped bottle.
- Dried sage herb-1 tbsp
- Water- 2 cups
- For the sage to treat gingivitis, firstly boil the water in a small container.
- Add sage leaves to it and simmer it for 5-10 minutes.
- Take out from the boiler and sip when it is warm.
- Rinse your mouth with this herbal tea 2-3 times a day.
In case, if you don’t find sage leaves then you can go with mint leaves. The procedure and curing capacity is same as that of sage leaves.
9. Aloe Vera for Gingivitis
Due to anti-inflammatory and healing properties of aloe vera, it is widely used as miracle medicinal herb to treat gingivitis problem. Like other juices aloe vera need not to be diluted and make sure the juice is 100% pure.
- (1/2) cup of aloe vera gel extracted from the leaf
- Take out fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf by making a cut over sideways.
- Apply the aloe vera gel twice a day to the gingivitis affected gum areas.
- After applying the aloe vera gel you may or may not wash with water.
- Store the left over aloe vera gel in an air tight container.
10. Clove Oil for Gingivitis
Clove oil is used as remedy for treating oral infections like tooth ache and swollen gums over the years. eugenol, the most active component in clove leaves has anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that helps to cure gingivitis easily.
- Clove oil- few drops
- Cotton swab
- Pour few drops of clove oil onto the cotton swab.
- Press the cotton swab soaked in clove oil against the affected gum areas for 2-3 minutes.
- This will act as instant pain relief to your mouth problem and cure gingivitis.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol with high phosphorus content.
- Consult a dentist regularly to keep your mouth free from infections and diseases.
- Rinse your mouth with anti-septic mouth washer regularly, recommended by dentist.
- You can use homemade mouthwash day and night until you get relief from the pain.
- Brush your teeth daily, if possible twice a day in right way by focusing on your gums.
- Avoid eating too much of sweets, pizzas, burgers, chocolates and other sources of sugar foods.
- Drink water frequently throughout the day to rinse your teeth and to prevent from building plaque.
- Do not apply baking soda directly on your teeth. Multiple applications of baking soda can damage the tooth enamel.
Have you tried any of these natural homemade solutions to cure gingivitis; If so let us know which remedy you are benefitted with? Share your experience in the comment section given below.