The viral or bacterial infections, consumption of contaminated foods, stress or anxiety, intestinal disorders, contaminated water, food allergies or poisoning, poor digestion, etc. will disrupt the functioning of the digestive system and thereby results in a frequent loose or watery stools for more than 3 times a day.
This condition is known as diarrhea and if you’re suffering from this problem then you may experience certain symptoms like bloating, abdominal pain, dehydration, fever, nausea, etc. It takes 2 – 3 days to get rid of this digestive disorder along with its symptoms.
However, there are many natural ways to combat diarrhea instead of using over the counter medications. Here we know about an amazing natural ingredient called ginger for treating diarrhea.
Let’s get started…
How Does Ginger treat Diarrhea?
- Ginger has active compounds such as gingerol and shogaol that helps a lot in reducing the abdominal pain and inflammation along with soothing the irritated gut.
- It helps to strengthen the digestive organs that help to reduce the food stagnation.
- It has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that fight against the germs causing diarrhea and also it detoxifies the digestive system to clear away all the wastes from the gut.
- It is also an excellent remedy for treating bloating and nausea, as it reduces the stomach gas and spasms.
- The enzymes in ginger slow down the peristaltic movement of your bowels, allowing the waste to move easily through the digestive system.
- It helps to add stuff to the stools from the food by aiding proper digestion and thereby reducing these loose or watery stools.
How to use Ginger for Treating Diarrhea:
Ginger not only effectively used to treat diarrhea but also helps you to deal with its symptoms like upset stomach, bloating and nausea.
Here are some best ways of using ginger for treating diarrhea. Have a look at these methods and follow them regularly to get relief from diarrhea and its symptoms.
Method – 1: (Ginger)
Consuming ginger is very effective in clearing your diarrhea. Here are some ways of consuming ginger to clear your diarrhea.
- Wash a piece of ginger root and peel it. Cut this ginger piece into slices and consume this ginger chunk for twice daily.
- Add a freshly extracted ginger juice into the water or tea or smoothies.
- Extract some fresh ginger juice and consume 1 tablespoon of ginger juice for twice daily to get rid of diarrhea and its symptoms.
- Add 2 teaspoons of powdered ginger and a little sea salt in 1 glass of lukewarm water. Stir well and drink this water for once daily till you get rid of diarrhea.
- Simply prepare a smoothie by blending 2 tablespoons of peeled and minced ginger root, 2 cups of chopped spinach (or 1 chopped jicama) and 2 peeled and chopped carrots (1 beetroot) until smooth. Drink it once daily.
- Stir well 1 teaspoon of peeled and minced ginger into fresh mango juice. Drink it daily till you get rid of diarrhea.
- Prepare a mix by stirring equal quantities (1/2 teaspoon) of powdered ginger, jaggery, and rock salt and then consume it once daily.
Method – 2: (Ginger with Honey)
Honey helps to soothe the irritated intestines and also kills the germs causing this digestive disorder with its antimicrobial properties.
Here are some ways of using this ginger and honey combination for treating diarrhea.
- Peel a fresh root of ginger and grate it properly. Add 1 teaspoon of raw honey to it and stir well. Consume this mix to improve digestion and to clear diarrhea. Avoid drinking water immediately after consuming this mix.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of dry ginger powder, cinnamon powder, honey and cumin powder till it forms a fine paste and consume it for thrice daily (add more honey if required).
- Stir 1 teaspoon each of honey and mint juice and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice. Intake of this mix for thrice daily till you cleared the mix.
- Prepare a paste by mixing 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered ginger in 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Stir well and consume this mix to reduce your diarrhea.
Method – 3: (Ginger Tea)
Consuming ginger tea will give an amazing relief from many digestive disorders like upset stomach, indigestion, bloating, stomach gas and nausea.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of peeled and grated ginger root.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and strain it.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey in the tea.
- Drink this ginger tea to get rid of diarrhea.
Note: Or if you don’t have any fresh ginger root then you can use powdered ginger or ginger tea bags for preparing this ginger tea and drink it.
Method – 4: (Ginger with Lemon)
Lemon kills the germs causing diarrhea and also the fragrance of lemon help you to get rid of bloating and nausea.
- Peel and grate a fresh ginger root and take 1 teaspoon of grated ginger.
- Then blend this grated ginger with 1 teaspoon of water until smooth.
- Now mix 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice with a pinch of black pepper to this ginger paste.
- Stir well and consume this paste for twice daily till you get complete relief from diarrhea.
- Or mix 1/2 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and ginger juice and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered pepper (or cayenne pepper powder). Stir well and consume it twice daily.
- Also, mix 1 pinch of black salt in 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and ginger juice in 1 glass of water. Drink this solution for 3 – 4 times daily.
Method – 5: (Ginger with Yogurt)
- Wash and peel a 3 – inch chunk of fresh ginger.
- Mince and blend it along with 6 ounces of plain yogurt, a pinch of black salt and 10 chopped curry leaves until smooth.
- Then add 3 cups of water and blend it for few seconds.
- Drink it once or twice daily until you get complete relief from diarrhea and also to restore the imbalance of bacteria in your gut.
- Or even buttermilk helps you to treat diarrhea, as it hydrates the body and also rebalances your digestive system. So, mix 1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger in 1 cup of buttermilk and drink this till your symptoms of diarrhea are cleared.
- Also, heat some olive oil and add 1 teaspoon of grated ginger root, 1/2 teaspoon of carom seeds and 6 – 7 curry leaves and fry it. Then add this to 1/4 cup of plain yogurt and stir well. Finally, add the yogurt mix to 1 cup of cooked rice. Stir well and eat this twice daily.
Method – 6: (Ginger Bath)
Ginger bath helps to draw out the toxins from your body and thereby relieves you from this digestive disorder. But make sure to drink lemon water before taking this bath to prevent dehydration.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of powdered ginger (or 1/2 cup of grated ginger) in your bathtub filled with hot water.
- Stir well and soak in this water for about 15 – 30 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off with plain water and dry your skin thoroughly.
Method – 7: (Ginger with Coconut Water)
Coconut water helps to replenish the minerals, vitamins, and fluids that last due to diarrhea and rehydrate the body. So, this combination will definitely help you to get rid of diarrhea and its symptoms.
- Add 1 teaspoon of minced ginger (or powdered ginger or fresh ginger juice) in 1 glass of coconut water.
- Stir well and drink this water.
- For quick relief, drink it for 2 – 3 times daily till your symptoms subside.
Tips and Precautions:
- Ginger may interact with some over the counter medications like blood thinners and it also lowers the blood sugar levels.
- Always prefer to use fresh ginger instead of powdered or ginger juice for treating your diarrhea.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children under 5 years should not take ginger without prior consulting with their doctor.
- Prepare your ginger ale using the homemade ginger ale recipes, as they also help you to get rid of these digestive disorders.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from frequent attacks of (or severe form) diarrhea for proper diagnose and treatment to know the root cause and to get rid of the problem.
- Drink more of water and consume a healthy diet along with other healthy fluids to stay hydrated while suffering from diarrhea.
- Never ever increase the dosage or quantity of ginger, as it may exhibit some side effects like heartburn, sore mouth, burping, upset stomach, etc. Also, people those who have gallstones or who have any operation then avoid taking this ginger.
Try these Ginger methods for treating your Diarrhea. Do you know any other successful ginger methods for diarrhea? Then share it with us in the below comments box.