Asthma is a chronic respiratory disorder that caused by the blockage of airways due to the buildup of excess mucus. This lungs problem can be of two types – allergic and non-allergic asthma.
It is caused due to allergies, respiratory problems, weather conditions, certain medications, air pollution, etc. Shortness of breath, coughing, chest tightness, wheezing, etc. is some symptoms of asthma.
Though there is no complete cure for asthma, we can control its symptoms to reduce its frequency of attacks. There are many over the counter medications available for treating asthma. You can use some simple natural remedies as an adjunct treatment to provide relief from its symptoms.
Ginger is an herbal remedy that stands best in treating asthma. Here we are going to know all about ginger for getting control over asthma.
Note: Sometimes, dry air (especially during winters) can worsen asthma. You can reduce the attacks by simply placing a humidifier in your house. Humidifiers are known to increase moisture levels and remove allergens from the air.
Does Ginger treat Asthma?
Ginger works best in treating respiratory problems like cold, cough, flu, bronchitis and asthma. Have a look at its properties.
- Ginger has certain compounds like shogaols, gingerols, and zingerones that exhibit analgesic and anti – inflammatory properties that treat inflammation and thus inhibits contraction of airways for proper breathing.
- It contains antioxidant property that removes harmful chemicals produced in the body and helps to reduce psychological stress, which, in turn, result in asthma.
- It effectively clears excess mucus in your airways and lungs with its oleoresins content to prevent the infection.
- It has a therapeutic effect that helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation in the respiratory passage.
- It helps to get rid of phlegm which in turn reduces throat itching and thus relaxes your airways. It also activates many enzymes to relax your airways.
How to use Ginger for Asthma:
Discover these amazing methods of using ginger for treating asthma. You can ginger in raw, dry and fresh forms to get rid of asthma. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Ginger Tea)
Ginger eliminates the phlegm causing itching in the throat and relaxes your airways to get rid of asthma.
- Rinse a fresh ginger root piece and peel it off.
- Slice it and pour it in a pan filled with water.
- Boil it for about 7 – 10 minutes and strain it.
- Then add a little honey and lemon juice to the tea and stir it.
- Drink this ginger tea for 1 – 2 times daily till you get relief from asthma.
- Also, consume raw ginger either normally or sprinkling some salt over it (or) drink a little ginger juice (or) use it in your diet like soups, salads, gravies, candies, etc.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon of ground ginger in 1 ½ cups of water and consume 1 tablespoon of this mix at night before bedtime on daily basis.
Method – 2: (Ginger with Pomegranate and Honey)
Pomegranate has rich of vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the inflammation. This combination will help to improve the blood circulation and thus open up the blocked airways causing asthma.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of fresh ginger juice, pomegranate juice, and raw honey and stir well.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this mix for 2 – 3 times daily till you get best results.
Method – 3: (Ginger with Fenugreek Seeds and Honey)
This combinational process helps a lot in treating many respiratory problems, including asthma.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in enough water for overnight.
- Strain the seeds in the next morning to prepare a decoction and dry the seeds.
- Then mix fresh ginger juice, fenugreek a decoction and raw honey in a bowl.
- Stir well and drink it twice daily (once in the morning and once in evening) till you cleared the blocked airways.
Method – 4: (Ginger with Walnuts)
According to Chinese medication, this combination is very effective in clearing the excess phlegm from your lungs and thus reduces your cough by clearing airways.
- Grind 3 walnuts and 3 slices of fresh ginger slices to make a paste.
- Place this mix in a cup of warm water and let it steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Stir and drink this tea in every night before bedtime.
Note: Or simply consume the walnut – ginger paste at night before bedtime on daily basis.
Method – 5: (Ginger with Lemongrass)
Lemongrass helps in curing respiratory conditions, including bronchial asthma. Cinnamon has many medicinal properties that clear chest congestion and relieves you from a cough, difficulty in breathing and sinus irritation.
Garlic helps for treating many respiratory disorders. So, this combination process is a perfect choice for treating asthma.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried lemongrass, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of grated ginger and 1 small cinnamon stick in a saucepan filled with 2 cups of water.
- Boil it for 7 – 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let it steep for another 5 minutes and strain the mix using a strainer.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of raw honey and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to this tea.
- Stir well and drink this tea once daily (or) 3 – 4 times weekly for best relief.
Note: Or boil 4 cups of water and add 1 stalk of sliced lemongrass and 1/4 cup of grated fresh ginger. Simmer for 10 minutes and turn off the heat. Add 2 teaspoons of herbal tea and strain it. Drink it by adding honey or lemon juice.
Tips and Precautions:
- Rinse off the ginger root before using to clear the mud and other impurities on it.
- Avoid excess intake of ginger in any form, as it results in some side effects like belching, acidity, heartburn, insomnia and nausea.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children should consult the doctor before using ginger and also, avoid taking ginger if you’re taking beta – blockers, blood thinners or immune suppressants.
- Make sure to consult your doctor before taking any ginger supplements for proper dosage as per your health condition.
- Do some regular exercises, reduce your stress levels, quit smoking, etc. are some of the changes to be included in your lifestyle to get rid of asthma.
- Limit the intake of coffee and alcohol, avoid consuming fats and over proteins creating phlegm, include more of water and other healthy foods in your diet, etc. in your diet.
- Pour few drops of ginger oil in your nebulizer having distilled water and thus inhale it to clear mucus along with other agents causing blockage in the windpipe.
Follow these ginger remedies for control of asthma attacks. Do you know any other ginger remedies for treating asthma? Then share it with us in the below comments box.