Do you know that they are some guest resides unknowingly in many corners and crevices of your house until their buzzing presence escalates to discomfort? Gnats are such flying small insects that live in your house and carry parasites to spread diseases. They feed on blood, plants and other insects and lay eggs near the aquatic places and indoor plants. The gnats are seen around compost pile or moist soil. Gnats, which lay eggs and found near the indoor plants are known as fungus gnats and the other type which feeds on fruits are called as fruit flies.
Both these types of gnats have a short lifespan of around 10 days and they grow in summer. Unlike other insects, these gnats don’t house near specific areas but rather they tend to fly all across the entire house to make their existence known to everyone.
In general, we seek professional assistance by calling guys at pest control to get rid of this havoc wreaking creatures. But before spending a fortune from your pocket, we can simply follow these natural remedies at home to get rid of these unpleasant insects.
Before going into the home remedies, first of all, let’s know the cases of gnats which make them enter the home. So that you can get rid of these gnats and also prevent its recurrence.
Causes of Gnats Infestation:
- Moisture – The humidity and moisture in the air is the main cause for the presence of gnat into the house and they commonly found in summer or winter season.
- Fungus – A favorite food for gnats as they hover near the scrape foods, meals, vegetables or fruits that left unnoticed.
- Dampness – Damp places like ponds, pools, potholes, ponds or any other wet areas will welcome gnats and provide home for gnats and their eggs
- Trash – Gnats are generally found all around the trash can and other waste disposals if they left out in open. So, always be careful and close the trash can and dispose of waste material properly to avoid the overgrowth of gnats.
- Kitchen – This acts as a hotspot for gnats why because it is the place where the gnats love to live and feed. The water around the pipes and drains will result in growing the gnats infestation.
Other causes include untidiness, improper disposal of garbage and poor sanitation for the presence of these gnats.
So, keep your kitchen and home clean and dry to keep these gnats at bay now and then. Now let’s know about some best natural ways to get rid of gnats.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Gnats:
Instead of using those toxic insecticides or spray all over the house, which causes harm to your health (especially respiratory tract), why don’t you give a trial to some effective and simple home remedies to clear the gnats infestation quickly and naturally?
Remedy – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
The usage of apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a popular and most effective natural remedy that helps you in getting rid of the fruit flies and gnats why because they attracted to its smell and gets trapped easily into it.
Here is a detailed way on how to trap gnats and clear them from home.
- Take a mason jar and pour raw ACV. For best results, heat ACV and pour it into the jar.
- Then add a few drops of liquid dish soap to this ACV and stir well.
- Cover the mouth of the jar with a plastic wrap.
- Now poke the plastic wrap with either a fork or toothpick to make holes.
- The holes are the entrance of files into the jar and place this jar in the areas where you found gnats or fruit flies are swarming.
- Leave the jar to trap the gnats and when you find the jar fills with dead gnats then discard the content and rinse the jar to refill ACV to trap remaining gnats.
- Repeat the same process until you get a complete relief from the gnats.
Note: If you don’t have ACV then you can simply use white vinegar to get the same results.
Remedy – 2: (Red Wine)
The gnats will be easily attracted to red wine. So, we can use it to trap them and get rid of the infestation.
Have a look at how to use red wine to trap gnats.
- Stir 1/2 cup of red wine in 1 ½ cups of water and pour this mixture into a small container.
- Then wrap the top of the container with a plastic cover.
- Now punch a few holes on the cover to make the gnats enter into this mix.
- The gnats or files get drawn into the smell and they will drown into this mix easily when they come into contact.
- Whenever you find the jar fills up with dead files then discard the contents of the jar.
- Clean the empty container with some warm soapy water and repeat the same process until you get rid of these gnats.
Note: Or simply a few drops of dish wash in a container filled with red wine and proceed the above process (without adding water) to clear the gnats quickly.
Remedy – 3: (Lemongrass Essential Oil)
The strong-smelling lemongrass oil will help to keep the gnats and fruit flies at bay. So, we can use this lemon oil as a preventive measure why because it not only kills the files but also make them not to enter the home.
- Take 2 cups of hot water and pour this in a clean spray bottle.
- Then add 10 – 15 drops of lemongrass essential oil in this spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle and use it to spray near the indoor plants, around kitchen counters and other places where you find files or gnats most.
- This homemade spray will help to clear the gnats effectively.
Note: Or simply mix 2 tablespoons of lemon scented liquid dish soap in 4 cups of water and pour this solution into a spray bottle and spray this on the infested plant to clear the gnats. At last, mist the leaves and stem of the plant where you spray on the plant with clean water to prevent the harm.
Remedy – 4: (Milk, Sugar, and Pepper)
This is another trap which is widely used to clear gnats at home. All you need is raw milk, sugar, and pepper. This sweat and hot will attract the gnats and drown in it.
- Pour 2 cups of milk in a saucepan and then combine with 4 tablespoons of ground pepper and 8 tablespoons of raw sugar to it.
- Stir and simmer this mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Then pour this mix into the shallow dish and put this dish on the places where you see this files or gnats to attract and clear them.
- Continue using this trap until you get complete relief from the gnats infestation.
Remedy – 5: (Vegetable Oil)
Use vegetable oil to simply trap and kill the gnats, especially those coming from the drain in the kitchen sink. Here is a detailed way that tells you how to use vegetable oil to get rid of gnats.
- Take 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and pour into the drain.
- Rub some vegetable oil on all around the edges of the drain and then close the holes of your drain by using a tape.
- Leave for overnight and take out the tape in the next morning.
- You will definitely notice gnats stuck on the tape and continue this process for a few days until you get a complete relief from the gnats infestation.
Note: Also, use olive oil instead of vegetable oil to deal with gnats in the kitchen or house drains.
Remedy – 6: (Bleaching)
This process is another effective remedy that helps you in dealing with the gnats all around the kitchen and bathroom sink. But never ever mix bleach with ammonia, as it causes some harm to the health with its toxic vapors.
- First of all, remove everything from the sink and let it dry for a couple of minutes.
- Then put a cup of bleach in the sink and make sure to wear mouth and eye protection.
- Now run very hot water so that the bleach will drain and clear these gnats and fruit flies.
- Repeat this action regularly till you get relief from this gnats and flies.
Remedy – 7: (Banana)
Usage of banana peel or slices or leftovers will work well in dealing with gnat infestation. This process is simple and similar just like ACV to trap the gnats.
Here is the detailed procedure that explains to you how to trap gnats using banana.
- Place a few banana slices along with its peels in a jar.
- Cover the jar with a plastic wrap and poke some holes on the top of the jar.
- These holes will become an entrance for gnats or fruit flies.
- Put this banana filled jar in a place where you find gnats and dispose the jar when once all the gnats are trapped.
- Repeat it as needed to clear the gnats infestation.
Other Effective Remedies:
- Using a rotten or overripe fruit as a trap will help to clear fruit flies. All you need is to place some pieces of overripe or rotten fruit (or fruit juices) in a glass jar and cover it with a plastic wrap. Pinch some holes on the plastic wrap and place the jar where you see these files and replace the jar as needed.
- Use honey to save the gnat infested indoor plants due to its sweet smell which attracts the gnat. Simply attach a toothpick to a side of a bright colored index card and spread a thin layer of honey on the other side of the card. Place this card in the soil on the infested indoor plant. Leave it and throw the card once it filled with dead gnats and then replace the old with a new one.
- If you don’t have jars then simply use soda bottles to trap these gnats. All you need is to cut the top third of a soda bottle and place it as a funnel that provides an inlet for the gnats to enter into the bottle but make sure to seal the open side of the bottle to prevent the gnats from escaping.
- Rubbing alcohol will act as an effective repellent for gnats and fruit flies. Simply dilute some rubbing alcohol in water and pour this solution into an empty spray bottle. Shake it well and use it spray on the gnats to prevent its infestation.
- Citronella oil when mixed with water and liquid dish wash will act as an excellent gnat repellent and clear them effectively. Pour this mix into a spray bottle and spray it in the gardens, sinks and near the trash cans. Also, remember that it won’t cause any harm to the plants or pets.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always keep your kitchen clean and dry by simply rinsing the dirty dishes immediately without leaving for overnight, clean the kitchen counter and dining area clean, keep the food in an airtight container that sealed properly, keep the fresh fruits and vegetables in refrigerator after cleaning, place the cookies and bread bags closed and sealed, clean up the food spills immediately, etc. to get rid of gnats.
- Keep the trash cans covered and sealed properly and also avoid keeping this bag of trash in the house overnight.
- Regularly wipe the lid and surfaces of garbage container with a disinfectant solution.
- Discard the stale water which is standing in the indoor plants or pots regularly. simply spray a little water rather than overwatering these household plants why because the moist and dampness will easily attract gnats.
- Keep your garden area clean by clearing the old flowers and greenery from the pots or land.
- Seal all the cracks and holes in the doors and windows to prevent the gnats coming into the house. You can also buy a gnat trap to prevent the fruit flies and gnats.
- Choose fogging as your best option if you find fruit flies or gnats have infested a large area to clear them effectively.
- Place nets, curtains and screens on the doors and windows to prevent the gnats entering the house and thereby infestation.
- Spray a mix prepared by stirring vanilla extract and water on all over the house to repel the gnats and make your home free from gnats infestation.
- Lay a few dryer sheets in your garden to prevent the soil from breeding or harboring in the pot by the gnats. These sheets will dry out the soil and kill the eggs (or newly formed gnats).
- Grow a lavender plant to prevent the manifestation of gnats and also soak a sponge in lavender oil to attract the gnats and thereby clear them completely.
Try all these natural ways to get rid of gnats and the irritation caused by their presence in your home. Do you know any other successful natural ways to clear these gnats in and around your house? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply