When your skin got exposed to sun, then they will be an increase in the production of melanocyte cells which in turn results in the raise of melanin in the skin and thus makes the skin to turn darker. These dark patches of the skin are termed as dark spots, age spots, brown spots sun spots or hyper pigmentation.
These spots occurs generally in the exposed skin areas like face, neck, chest, back, shoulders, hands and legs. Other than sun exposure, certain factors like aging, stress, genetics, hormonal imbalance, pregnancy, weak liver functioning, acne, vitamin deficiencies, etc. can also contribute to these dark spots.
However these spots are usually harmless to skin or health but it is concerned as a biggest problem in beauty aspect which makes as unattractive. There are many over the counter treatments and cosmetic creams available in market but the usage of natural remedies at home will help you a lot in clearing the problem without any side effects.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a folk remedy that was suggested by Hippocrates (the father of medicine) for treating many health and beauty ailments including dark spots.
Is apple Cider Vinegar good for Dark Spots?
When you heard that apple cider vinegar for dark spots then a doubt that does it really works for dark spots will appear in your mind. So, here we are providing you with some of its properties to get rid of dark spots.
- It acts as a drying agent that helps to dry out and fade the dark or brown spots faster.
- It also cleanse the skin to remove dirt, impurities and other toxins causing damage to the skin and lighten up the skin’s uneven skin tone.
- It balances the skin’s pH level to clear the brown spots and makes your skin feel fresh and young.
- It has excellent skin lightening or brightening property that helps to lighten up the scars or dark spots on the skin.
- It has astringent property that helps to restore the skin’s natural color to fade away those dark spots.
- It accelerates the process of shedding of skin and helps for its re-growth to fade away the dark patches and leaves your skin with even tone.
- It has powerful alpha hydroxy acids that remove the dead skin cells and thus reveals a healthier complexion by fading the sun or age spots.
- It contains essential compounds like amino acids, acetic acid, mineral salts and a wide range of vitamins that helps to reduce the dark spots and other hyper – pigmentation problems.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for Dark Spots:
ACV is simply a miraculous ingredient that comes to reduce the appearance of dark patches on the skin that caused due to hyper pigmentation. Here are the best ways of using ACV for fading these dark spots on the skin.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Water)
Apple cider vinegar when mixed with water will exhibit certain properties that help to fade away the dark spots.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the dark spots affected areas.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and rinse with water after few minutes.
- Dry the area and continue doing the process for once daily until you get rid of dark spots on skin.
- Or you can also add raw honey to the diluted cider vinegar before applying.
- Also, use the above mix to rinse the affected areas and wait for 3 – 6 minutes and then rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Or else you can apply direct apple cider vinegar on dark spots but be sure that it may sting (more for dry and sensitive skin people).
- Alternatively, mix 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 2 – 3 tablespoons of orange juice. Apply it on brown spots using cotton ball and rinse it off after it dries completely. Repeat it once or twice daily for 4 – 5 weeks.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Horseradish)
Horseradish herb slows the production of melanin to prevent hyper pigmentation and has excellent skin lightening properties that effectively removes brown or dark spots, freckles and other spots on the skin. This method helps to exfoliate the affected skin area and lighten up the dark spots.
Steps to be followed…
- Grate finely 4 – 5 inch long of horseradish.
- Then pour 1/2 cup of organic apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Mix well and keep it aside for about 2 weeks by shaking it once daily.
- After 2 weeks, strain the mix into a container that has lid.
- Then apply a small amount of this herb infused vinegar to the dark spots.
- Leave it on for few minutes and rinse it off with water.
- Store the remaining mix in refrigerator and use it thrice daily for a month to get relief from dark spots.
- This combination will not suit for all skin types, so if you’re experiencing any irritation or discomfort then discontinue the process immediately.
Note: Or use some freshly squeezed lemon juice in this method and apply it to get relief from dark spots on the skin.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Onion Juice)
Onion helps to stop the excess production of collagen to prevent scarring on the skin. both cider vinegar and onion juice has acidic nature and anti-inflammatory property that helps to fade away the brown spots without any irritation.
Steps to be followed…
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of onion juice and cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply this mix directly on the dark spots affected areas with the help of cotton ball.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes or more until it gets dried completely.
- Rinse it off with water and repeat it daily for about 4 – 6 weeks to lighten up the spots.
Note: Or you can also add a little of honey in the above mix before applying to fade the spots on the skin.
Method – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice has citric acid and skin lightening property that helps to brighten up the dark spots on the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and saturate a cotton ball at night time for few minutes.
- Apply this mix with cotton ball by starting at forehead and apply to all over the face and neck.
- It might cause some stinging sensation and redness at first and must dilute this mix with water before applying, if you have dry or sensitive skin.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse it off with water.
- Wear sunscreen daily after this application, as it makes your skin more sensitive to sun exposure.
- Do the same process on every night before going to bed to get rid of the dark spots.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the mother content in it, to get rid of the dark spots on the skin.
- Intake of apple cider vinegar internally will help to clear these spots or scars on the skin. Mix 2 teaspoons of ACV and some raw honey in 1/2 glass of warm water. Drink this solution for twice daily (morning and night times) till you observe the improvement of fading the brown spots.
- Dry and damaged skin is one of the causes for darkening the skin. So, moisturize it well to keep it hydrate and repair the damaged skin.
- Regularly use apple cider vinegar as a natural skin toner (dilute 2 parts of water to 1 part of ACV) and rub it all over the dark spots.
- You can also add few drops of any essential oil to soften the strong ACV smell and apply it to prevent brown or dark spots.
- Drink plenty of water, have a healthy and balanced diet, remove any make-up before you go to sleep, apply sunscreens regularly, consume antioxidant rich foods, do yoga and meditation and a little of skin care hygiene will help you to get healthy skin tone without any spots or scars.
Are you concerned about these unsightly dark spots or scars on the skin? Just simply follow these ACV methods to clear the spots on the skin and to look pretty and attractive. But feel free to share your experience with us.
Leave a Reply