Gastroparesis is also known as delayed gastric emptying or stomach paralysis, is a chronic digestive tract disorder that caused when the stomach takes too much time to empty (or digest) the food.
However experts also not clear about what causes gastroparesis but the reason might be due to the damage of vagus nerve, which controls the stomach muscles.
Uncontrolled diabetes, hypothyroidism, nervous system diseases (multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s), abdominal surgery, radiation therapy, GERD, eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia), certain medications, etc. are some causes that damage the vagus nerve and thereby results in gastroparesis.
Nausea, heartburn, abdominal pain, vomiting, less appetite, bloating, fluctuations in blood sugar levels, unintended weight loss, a feel of full in the stomach even eating a small food, swollen abdomen, malnutrition, etc. are some symptoms of gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis requires some medical help or else it results in severe fluctuations in blood sugar levels, malnutrition, and dehydration. You need to follow some simple natural home remedies along with proper diet and lifestyle habits to deal with this gastroparesis.
Home Remedies for Gastroparesis:
Here are the best remedies mentioned that are widely used to treat gastroparesis along with other digestive problems. Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera helps for proper digestion to prevent gastroparesis. It has laxative nature that relieves bloating and regulates bowel movements. Regular intake will help to treat abdominal pain and aids in digestion.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and 1 cup of orange juice (or water) in a blender.
- Blend it for few seconds and drink 1 cup of this aloe juice in the morning after waking up.
- Regular intake of this drink in every morning will help for proper digestion and bowel movement.
Note: Avoid consumption of aloe vera juice that has more than 2 tablespoons of aloe gel per day, as it results in diarrhea or leaky gut.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has an alkalizing property that neutralizes the body which in turn relieves abdominal pain, bloating, digestion and heartburn. It effectively empties the gastric and thereby clears gastroparesis.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw unpasteurized ACV in 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink it 15 – 20 minutes before every meal.
- Continue it daily for best relief and to prevent its recurrence.
- Or simply mix 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and drink it before each meal to get proper digestion and absorption of nutrients into the body.
- For safe results, drink up to 2 tablespoons of ACV using a straw to prevent teeth erosion or damage.
Remedy – 3: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil has medium chain fatty acids that help for proper digestion. This will not require any pancreatic enzymes and bile salts for your digestive process. It also builds immunity and fights against inflammation to maintain healthy digestive system.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil to 1/4 cup of water.
- Stir well and warm this mix for few seconds till the oil melt thoroughly in the water.
- Drink this mix before each meal to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or simply mix 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil in 1 cup of hot tea or in fruit juices or in smoothies and drink it regularly to get relief from gastroparesis.
Remedy – 4: (Ginger)
Ginger effectively stimulates the digestive juices and the flow of enzymes that are required for proper digestion of food. It also accelerates gastric emptying of the stomach and thereby heals its symptoms.
Here are some ways of using ginger for treating gastroparesis
- Mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of freshly extracted ginger juice in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well and drink it 20 – 30 minutes before consuming a meal on daily basis.
- Boil 1 – 1 ½ cup of water with 5 – 6 ginger slices in it. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add a little of honey and lemon juice to it. Stir well and drink this ginger tea 2 – 3 times daily.
- Simply chew few slices of ginger or include ginger in your daily diet to get relief from the problem.
- Also, consult your doctor before starting ginger supplement regimen for gastroparesis.
Remedy – 5: (Peppermint)
Peppermint aids in proper digestion and thereby treats nausea, bloating, vomiting and intestinal cramps. Even peppermint oil will enhance the gastric emptying.
Here are some peppermint based ways for treating gastroparesis.
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil on your handkerchief and sniff it from time – time to get rid of nausea or vomiting.
- Steep 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in 1 cup of hot water for about 10 minutes. Strain the tea and drink it once or twice daily to get rid of indigestion and thereby gastroparesis.
- Simply chew few fresh peppermint leaves or include peppermint in your daily diet to get clear this problem.
- Also, consult your doctor before taking enteric – coated peppermint oil capsules for treating gastroparesis.
Remedy – 6: (Deep Breathing)
Deep breathing is an effective technique used to stimulate the vagus nerve and thereby increases the proper blood circulation to your digestive tract which in turn aids in proper digestion and regular bowel movements along with relieving you from gastroparesis symptoms.
- First of all, sit in a comfortable position and then place the hands on your abdomen.
- Then start taking a deep breath in through the nose, which allows the stomach to expand.
- Now hold the breath for 3 – 5 seconds and then breathe out completely from your mouth.
- Be sure to allow the exhalation to last longer than inhalation.
- Repeat this deep breathing exercise for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Continue doing it regularly for few sessions daily to get relief from many health ailments.
Tips and Precautions:
- Probiotics are live micro-organisms that help the body to break down food, aids in easy digestion and absorb the nutrients. So, consume probiotic-rich foods like Greek yogurt, kefir, tempeh, sour pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi and buttermilk (or) take probiotic supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy liquids like fruit or vegetable juices, clear soups, herbal teas, broths, etc. which helps to prevent the opening of the pyloric valve and thereby lessens the discomforts caused by gastroparesis.
- Also, go for acupuncture and acupressure under the guidance of an expert to get relief from this problem and other digestive disorders.
- Have 5 – 6 small meals instead of 3 big meals, as this will help you for proper digestion and thereby prevention of digestive disorders.
- Avoid foods that are not easy to digest like dairy products, oily foods, high fiber vegetables, hot or spicy foods, high carbohydrate foods, fatty foods, etc. from your diet.
- Include well-cooked vegetables, tuna, egg whites, yogurt, low-fat cheese and easy to digest food in your daily diet.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol and smoking, as they may worsen your problem.
- Never lying down immediately after taking your meals, as it puts pressure on your stomach and makes it hard to digest the food.
- Regular exercises, yoga, staying away from strong smelling foods, intake of food at regular intervals, etc. will help you to get relief from gastroparesis and its symptoms.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you didn’t find any relief from this digestive disorder for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural remedies for gastroparesis and share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply