Sinus is a small cavity that is filled with air and they produce mucus to keep the nasal passage free from bacteria, allergies, dust particles and other impurities out of the body.
The sinus infection occurs when the nasal passage gets swollen and irritated due to any pollution, allergy, smoke or viral infection (cold and flu). Thus there will be a blockage in the free flow of mucus and air, which in turn gives way to bacterial or fungal infection.
The infection can last for few days to few months or more. Allergies, headache, facial pressure, discharge of thick discolored mucus, congestion, pain, cold, etc. are some symptoms of this sinusitis.
There are so many natural home remedies for treating sinus infection and garlic is one among those remedies that widely used to treat sinus infection effectively.
Here, in this article, we will learn all about garlic for treating the sinus infection. Let’s have a look and try this garlic to get rid of your sinus infection.
How Does Garlic treat Sinus Infection?
- Raw and crushed garlic cloves have a sulfur compound called allicin, which exhibits antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties that help to clear sinus infection and its symptoms.
- It contains decongestant and expectorant properties that reduce the symptoms of sinus infection.
- It is enriched with vitamin C, enzymes, minerals (selenium, sulphur), flu busting components, etc. will help to boost up the immunity and thereby clears the infection.
- The alliin, ajoene and other active components in garlic will exhibit curative properties and thereby clears bacteria or fungus causing sinusitis.
- Scordinin in garlic helps to boost the immunity and restrict the growth of abnormal cells to get rid of sinusitis and also to perform proper functioning.
- It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that reduce the inflammatory symptoms and clears infection without any side effects.
How to Treat Sinus Infection using Garlic:
Here are some best ways that explain you on how these garlic cloves help you to get rid of sinus infection. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Garlic)
Garlic is a natural antibiotic which kills the bad bacteria and protects the good one for the proper functioning of the body and to get rid of the sinus infection. Always prefer to take raw and crushed garlic cloves for getting quick relief from the problem.
Here are few ways of using only garlic for treating sinus infections. Repeat the process regularly till you get complete relief from the sinus infection.
- Garlic Steam – Mix 3 to 5 crushed garlic cloves in a pot of boiling water and cover your head along with the pot with a towel (steam should not escape from it). Inhale the steam deeply and slowly to get relief from sinusitis. Do it at night to thin the mucus and clear the infection.
- Garlic – Chew a clove of garlic completely as often as possible but don’t eat it on an empty stomach. Or you can consume garlic in the form of soups, bread, pizzas, salads, curries or in any form will help to clear sinusitis.
- Garlic Inhaler – Soak 4 to 6 raw garlic cloves in 1/2 cup of water for about 7 – 10 minutes and then crush them to make a fine paste. Keep the paste close to the nose and inhale it by taking deep breaths. If your nose is blocked that inhale the odor of garlic paste to loosen the mucus and clear infection.
- Garlic Juice – Peel off few garlic cloves and crush them using a blender or garlic press. Place the mix on a muslin cloth and strain the garlic puree to extract juice. Use this juice to spray it on the salads, soups or other dishes and have it to get rid of the infection.
- Garlic Water – Finely chop some garlic cloves and pour it in 2 quarts of water. Boil it for about an hour and strain this garlic infused water into a glass. Stir it by adding a pinch of salt and sip this water slowly to get rid of sinusitis and its symptoms like cold, congestion, facial pressure and headache.
- Garlic Dip – Mince few garlic cloves and add to mashed avocado. Stir to make it as garlic dip (OR) mince 2 – 4 garlic cloves and mix it in your bread spread (like butter or mayonnaise).
Method – 2: (Garlic with Turmeric)
Turmeric has an active compound called curcumin that has antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that work well in treating your sinus infection.
- Pour 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Then add 4 – 6 garlic cloves in this water and boil it for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Now add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in it and turn off the heat.
- Stir well and pour this mix into a cup.
- Drink this hot soup or juice to get relief from the sinus infection.
- Continue the intake of this drink till you get complete relief from the sinusitis.
Method – 3: (Garlic with Tomato Juice and Lemon Juice)
Tomato has rich content of vitamin A and C which helps to repair the mucous membrane to heal the sinusitis.
- Pour 1 cup of tomato juice in a saucepan and boil it for few minutes.
- Then add 1 tablespoon each of chopped garlic and fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce and a pinch of celery salt in it.
- Stir well and boil the mix for few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and pour this hot juice into a glass. Drink it to get rid of sinus infection.
- Repeat the intake of hot garlic infused tomato juice for twice daily till you get complete relief from the sinus infection and its symptoms.
Method – 4: (Garlic with Olive Oil and Honey)
Honey has antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that clear the germs causing infection and it also soothes the infected and irritated areas. Olive oil helps to the free flow of mucus and clears the infection causing impurities.
- Crush 3 – 5 garlic cloves and rest it for about 15 minutes to activate allicin enzyme.
- Then add some raw honey and extra virgin olive oil to it and stir it.
- Now use this to top a slice of either cracker or bread and have it to cure sinus infection.
- Consume it regularly to clear cold, flu and sinus infection.
- Or blend 3 – 5 garlic cloves and add 1 – 2 teaspoons of raw honey to it. Stir well to make a fine paste. Consume this paste before each meal to cure sinus infection.
- Also, crush few peeled garlic cloves and add few drops of olive oil and a dash of sea salt in it. Stir well and eat this mix to get relief from the sinus infection.
Method – 5: (Garlic Oil)
Garlic oil is another effective form of garlic that used for treating sinus and other respiratory infections.
- Pour 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil (or virgin coconut oil) in a pan.
- Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of freshly crushed or chopped garlic cloves into it.
- Then place the pan on the stove over medium-low heat and fry the cloves and turn off the heat when they turn brown in color.
- Let the oil cool for few minutes and strain the oil into an airtight container.
- Regularly apply this garlic oil all around the nose, chest, neck and forehead to get complete relief from the sinusitis.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also take garlic capsules or pills for treating the sinus infection. Suggested dosage is 2 capsules per day but be sure to consult your doctor before taking these pills.
- Garlic steam inhalation process will also work well for treating sinus infection in children.
- Include garlic in your daily diet to strengthen your immunity and promote the free flow of mucus within the nasal passages and thereby to prevent the infection in your sinuses.
- Before using any ingredients, it’s best to check whether you’re allergic to that ingredient or not and then use it if you’re not allergic to it.
- Avoid over consumption of garlic, as it causes some side effects like bad breath, stomach upset, burning sensation, breathing problems, internal bleeding, allergic reaction, intestinal or stomach problems, skin rash, etc.
- If you’re suffering from chronic sinusitis or still your symptoms persists, consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
This is all about Garlic for Sinus Infection. Try these garlic methods to relieve your sinus infection. Do you know any other successful garlic methods for the sinus infection? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply