Do you notice the appearance of red or white spots on the skin, especially along the chin, mouth, lips and genital area? Nothing to fret about it, they may be Fordyce spots or Fordyce’s lesion or Fordyce’s disease or sebaceous prominence.
What are Fordyce spots?
Fordyce spots are small tiny white or red spots/bumps that generally appear on the skin’s surface due to the improper functioning of sebaceous glands. These spots occur in both men and women but more common in adults and aged people. These are a kind of ectopic sebaceous gland which means this oil gland happens to be in the wrong place like it is on the skin instead of the hair follicle.
Sebaceous gland without a hair follicle means the oil gets blocked in the gland and forms as a small lesions or bumps on that particular area of the skin. Although these spots are harmless and non – contagious or not sexually transmitted but sometimes, there may be a chance of bacteria infecting the area and causing inflammation and irritation.
The other causes include stress & anxiety, certain health problems, the absence of hair follicles in the sebaceous gland, hereditary, improper skin care, unhealthy diet, dehydration, aging, etc.
People suffering from Fordyce spots will experience the appearance of 100 or more spots on the skin with colors from white and pale yellow to pink or red along with small bumps, white patches or reddish dots scattered across the skin surface.
Wondering how to deal with these Fordyce spots to get rid of this cosmetic concern, even a skin specialist will suggest treatments like laser therapy, chemical peel or other cosmetic procedure which are highly expensive and include severe side effects.
No worries, there are many natural home remedies that help you to give a safe and effective relief from the Fordyce spots. But make sure to consult your doctor to confirm that these spots are actually Fordyce spots and not something else like oral herpes or cancer.
Home Remedies for Fordyce Spots:
Here are some best remedies for treating Fordyce spots or bumps on the skin. Always remember that a healthy diet with regular exercise and good lifestyle will play a key role in maintaining a healthy body.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Natural Oils)
Natural oils are effective in removing Fordyce spots on the skin by moisturizing and regulating the sebum production in the gland. They exhibit antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to prevent the bacterial action and give you relief from these spots.
Here are some natural oils to get rid of Fordyce spots.
1. Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil is enriched with vitamin E and medium chain fatty acids that make it as a great natural moisturizer. It not only helps to hydrate the skin and replace the damaged skin with new cells but also helps to prevent the occurrence of spots on the skin.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of lavender oil in 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil. Stir well and apply it on the spots affected skin areas. Wait for about 20 minutes and wash the area with cold water. Continue it twice daily.
- Take few drops of melted coconut oil and slather it on the affected area at night before bedtime. In the next morning, rinse off with water and repeat it daily for best and quick results.
2. Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is effective in treating penile papules (on genital area) with its antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It prevents the bacterial infection and relieves the inflamed skin.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil in 1/4 teaspoon of any carrier oil. Stir well and spread this mix on the affected areas by using a cotton swab. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 30 minutes. Do it twice daily for a week.
- Make sure to use 100% pure tea tree oil and also perform a skin patch test before applying tea tree oil to the affected area to know whether it causing any allergic reaction to the skin.
3. Olive Oil:
Olive oil acts as a hydrating agent that helps to keep the skin hydrated and clears Fordyce spots, especially on the penis without irritating the skin. It exhibits anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
- Rinse off the affected area with antibacterial soap and lukewarm water. Dry the skin using a soft towel and spread enough olive oil on the Fordyce spots affected skin areas evenly. Wipe off the oil after an hour with a clean cloth. Do it twice daily for a week to notice the reduction of spots on the skin.
- Honey acts as an excellent skin soother, antibacterial, and antiseptic that removes bacteria from beneath the hair follicles. So, mix 2 – 3 drops of olive oil in 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Stir well and slather the mix on the Fordyce spots on the lips and other body parts. Rinse off with lukewarm water after an hour and repeat the same action of twice daily.
- Mix 2 – 4 drops each of raw honey and olive oil in 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder till it forms a thick paste. Apply it to the affected areas and rinse off with cold water after an hour. Do it once daily.
4. Jojoba Oil:
The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of jojoba oil will help to treat Fordyce spots by clearing the bacterial infection and healing the skin quickly. It hydrates the skin and inhibits the production of too much sebum and thereby prevents the skin clogging to get rid of these bumps and its recurrence.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of argan oil in 1/4 teaspoon of jojoba oil and stir well. Apply it evenly on all over the spots and wait for an hour to rinse the area with lukewarm water. Dry the skin gently and repeat the same process for once daily till the spots get vanished from the skin.
5. Oil Mix:
You can also apply the combination of oils on the affected spots to get quick relief from the problem. Here is the best way of preparing homemade oil mix to treat Fordyce spots.
- Add 2 – 3 drops each of tea tree oil, olive oil and cabreuva oil in 1 tablespoon of benzoin and stir well till you get a viscous blend. Spread this mix directly on the Fordyce spots and rinse off with lukewarm water after 30 – 40 minutes. Dry the skin with a soft towel and do it once daily for quick relief from Fordyce spots.
Remedy – 2: (Garlic)
Garlic is a natural antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent that helps you to get rid of these Fordyce spots effectively at home. It clears the bacteria and other germs causing infection along with inhibits the production of excess sebum by the glands.
Here are few ways of using garlic for Fordyce spots.
- Take few garlic cloves and crush them thoroughly. Apply this crushed garlic paste on the lips and other Fordyce spots affected areas at night before bedtime. Leave for overnight and rinse the area with cold water in the next morning. Do it daily at night to get rid of Fordyce spots.
- Swallow a few cloves of garlic every day to strengthen your immune system and to fight off the bacteria causing these spots.
- Prepare garlic oil to get rid of Fordyce spots (especially on the penis or genital area). Add 5 garlic cloves to a cooking pan which is filled with 200 ml of coconut oil. Cook the cloves at low flame for about 2 – 3 hours. After that, turn off the stove and strain the oil. Cool the oil and apply it directly to the affected areas. Wait for few minutes and rinse with water. Do it once daily to treat Fordyce spots.
- Crush 2 garlic cloves and add it to 200 ml of water. Stir well and extract garlic juice. Then add 50 ml of fresh lemon juice and blend all these ingredients. Drink this garlic juice thrice daily either before or after having meals to treat Fordyce spots.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) contains antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat these spots quickly and effectively. It also balances the skin’s pH levels and thereby heals the skin to reduce the damage caused by these spots.
Here are few ways of using ACV as a sure shot remedy for Fordyce spots.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ACV in 1 glass of water and stir well. Dip a cotton ball in this mix and dab it directly on the affected area. Rinse the area with lukewarm water and rinse off with lukewarm water after an hour. Repeat it once a week till the spots cleared on the skin.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 teaspoon of honey in 1 glass of cold water. Mix well and sip this drink slowly to get relief from these spots.
- If you’ve oily skin then apply ACV directly on the affected skin for twice a week (but not in genital areas).
Remedy – 4: (Turmeric)
Most of us, know that turmeric is an excellent remedy for treating all kinds of cuts, wounds, scratches or infections on the skin, including Fordyce spots. The curcumin compound in turmeric exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that clear out the bacteria under the hair follicles and reduces the bumps on the skin.
It heals the skin quickly and also works effectively by removing the spots on the shaft or penis. Here are few ways of using turmeric for Fordyce spots.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon of water till it forms a thick paste. Spread this paste on the lips and other spots affected skin areas. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water. Continue doing the same day for a week to clear these spots.
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of ACV in 1 glass of water and add 3 – 6 drops of this mix to 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Stir well and apply this paste to the lips evenly. Wash the area with lukewarm water after 30 minutes. Dry the skin using a soft towel and repeat once in every three days to get rid of stubborn spots.
- Mustard oil has amazing healing power. So, mix 4 – 5 drops of mustard oil in 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a fine paste. Rub this paste gently on the affected areas and rinse the area with lukewarm water after 30 – 35 minutes. Continue doing the same process daily till you get relief from Fordyce spots.
Remedy – 5: (Oatmeal)
Oatmeal reduces the redness, itching, irritation, and inflammation of the skin, especially on the genitals. It has skin soothing, antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
- Mix 1 cup of oatmeal in your bathtub filled with cold water.
- Stir well till the oatmeal (or its powder) mixed with water.
- Soak in this water for about 30 minutes daily to clear those white spots on the skin.
- After that, dry the skin and always remember that not to use warm water while taking this soothing oatmeal bath.
Remedy – 6: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera effectively reduces the appearance of Fordyce spots on the lips and other body parts with its antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of bacteria and heals the damage caused by spots.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and extract its gel.
- Slather this fresh gel on the affected spots.
- Let it sit for an hour before rinsing this gel with cold water.
- Dry the skin and repeat the same for thrice daily until you get complete relief from the Fordyce spots.
- Regular application will make the skin smoother than before.
Other Effective Remedies:
Chamomile – It treats the skin lesions and other inflamed spots on the skin effectively. Grind 2 – 3 dried chamomile flowers to powder and mix it in 1 tablespoon of water. Stir well and apply this paste to the spots evenly and leave for overnight. Rinse off in the next morning with lukewarm water and repeat daily.
Broccoli – The vitamin C content helps the skin to prevent blemish-free skin. Blend 1 raw broccoli with 1 – 2 tablespoons of water to make a fine paste. Apply it on the white spots and rinse with lukewarm water after 30 minutes. Do it once daily.
Cabbage – The vitamins (A, C & E), iodine and fiber content in cabbage will help you in treating a number of skin problems. Blend 1 raw cabbage with 1 tablespoon of water and extract its juice. Apply it on the red spots and rinse the area with lukewarm water after an hour. Do it once daily.
Asparagus – The essential nutrients (folic acid) will help you to prevent the recurrence of the spots on the skin. Blend 1 asparagus with 1 – 2 tablespoons of water to make a fine paste. Rub it gently on the affected areas and rinse off with water after 30 minutes. Do it twice daily for best results.
In the same way, you can also apply fresh lemon juice, papaya paste, orange paste, grapefruit, strawberries, and raspberry paste on the affected areas to get rid of these spots.
Tips and Precautions:
- These spots are generally harmless and may disappear on their own but the follow up of these remedies will give quick relief from the problem.
- Maintain proper skin care hygiene by ensuring the affected area thoroughly in every morning and night time with a mild antibacterial soap. Keep the area clean that help to prevent the bacteria from getting beneath the hair follicles again and prevent the spot from recurring.
- Wearing loose fitting clothes will help to prevent the bacteria from getting into the sweat prone areas of the body.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids like herbal teas, smoothies, watery based fruits and vegetables, fresh juices, etc. throughout the day to keep the body well hydrated and thereby prevent Fordyce spots on the skin.
- Make sure to avoid drinking caffeinated, carbonated and alcoholic beverages which aggravate the condition.
- Intake of vitamin-rich foods will help to reduce the spots effectively. So, consume vitamins (A, B, C, E & K) and citrus fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. This will boost up the immune system and thereby clears the spots.
- Avoid the usage of chemical based skin care products like makeup, soaps, etc. which will worsen the problem. Chemical substances in the product will cause bacterial overgrowth and cause the spots to recur.
- Avoid licking the lips, as it dehydrates the lips faster and thereby cause the microorganisms in the mouth to travel to the skin on the lips and aggravate the condition. Always moisturize the lips and skin effectively to keep it hydrated and to get rid of these spots.
- Exfoliate the lips once in every week will keep the skin soft and supple, as it removes the dead skin cells that accumulated on the lip’s surface and also clears the bacterial growth in the area.
- Consult your doctor for proper diagnoses and treatment if you didn’t get any relief from these Fordyce spots and its symptoms.
Have you tried these natural remedies while suffering from Fordyce spots on the skin? Do you know any other successful remedies for treating Fordyce spots? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.