Fever is a normal response of the immune system to the bacterial or viral infection. The body temperature of a healthy baby should be 97 – 100.4˚ F (36 – 38˚C).
If the body temperature of the newborn babies (up to 3 months) rises above 100.4˚F, it’s best to consult pediatrician immediately.
If the body temperature of infants (between 3 – 6 months) rises above 101˚F, then consult your doctor.
For babies (above 6 months) having body temperature over 103˚F then make an immediate consultation with a pediatrician.
However, there is no worse feeling to a mom when their infant gets sick with the fever but don’t worry parents, as there are many natural ways that help to deal with your baby’s fever.
Home Remedies for Reducing Fever in Babies:
Here are some best ways that help you to manage or reduce your baby’s fever. Let’s have a look at these natural remedies for treating fever in babies.
Remedy – 1: (Cold Compress)
Whenever the baby develops a fever, you have to apply a cold compress as a first aid to reduce the fever. Placing the wet washcloth will help to draw the fever out, which in turn reduces the temperature to cure fever.
- Pour cool tap water in the bowl and soak a clean washcloth in this water.
- Wring out to remove excess water and place this wet cloth on your baby’s forehead.
- Leave it for few minutes and when once the cloth warms then remove it.
- Repeat the same process for few times a day till you’re baby fever has gone completely.
Note: Never ever use very cold or ice water for this compress, as it raises some internal body temperature and worsens the fever.
Remedy – 2: (Breast Milk)
Breast milk will offer a unique balance of nutrients that are essential to strengthen the baby’s immune system and thereby fights against the fever causing infections. So, it’s compulsory to offer your baby younger than 6 months old.
- Breastfeed your baby frequently and be sure to keep the baby upright while breastfeeding which helps to keep the baby more comfortable during feeding.
- Due to any reason, if your baby refuses nursing then pump out the breast milk and try to feed them using a bottle or a spoon.
- Breast milk can be easily digested and makes your baby stay hydrated.
- Continue offering breast milk for few times a day for keeping your baby healthy.
Remedy – 3: (Lukewarm Bath)
Giving lukewarm bath to your baby will help them to relax and regulate their body temperature. It also helps the baby to sleep better and thereby results in faster recovery.
- Fill your baby’s bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Give your baby (older than 6 months) a lukewarm bath for few times a day.
- For babies (younger than 6 months), give them a lukewarm sponge bath by simply soaking a sponge or cloth in lukewarm water and squeeze to remove excess water. Use it to clean your baby’s body.
- Dry your baby immediately and dress them to prevent any chills or shivering.
- Continue doing the same process regularly till your baby gets relief from fever.
Note: Also, avoid using very hot or cold water for your baby’s bath, as it results in the rise of internal body temperature.
Remedy – 4: (Foot Massage)
Massaging your baby’s feet with some warm natural oil helps to calm down the baby’s body temperature and also promotes better sleep to give a quick recovery.
- Apply some lukewarm olive oil on the soles of your baby’s feet.
- Massage gently with mild pressure on their soles with your thumbs for a couple of minutes.
- Complete the massaging process by covering the whole foot.
- Repeat the same process for regularly with utmost care to regulate your baby’s body temperature.
Remedy – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps a lot in drawing out the heat from your body and thereby reducing the body temperature. But remember to use raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized ACV and also use it for babies 1 year or older.
- Mix 1/4 cup of ACV in 2 large bowl of lukewarm water.
- Soak a clean washcloth in this water and wring out to clear excess water.
- Then use this damp cloth to have a sponge bath to your baby.
- Do the same process for 2 – 3 times daily till your baby’s fever has dropped completely.
Remedy – 6: (Basil)
Basil helps babies (above 1-year old) to get rid of fever, as this herb reduces the body heat and calm down your baby. It also works as natural immune booster and antibiotic that prevents your baby from infections.
- Place a handful of basil leaves in 2 cups of water and boil it for few minutes till the quantity reduced to half.
- Then add some sugar and stir well.
- Give this mix to your baby for few times daily.
Note: Or if you’re baby is able to chew tender basil leaves then give it to her or his, after washing them thoroughly. Make them chew the basil leaves at regular intervals.
Tips and Precautions:
- If your baby exhibits other symptoms like a cough, cold, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dehydration, rashes on the skin, etc. then it’s must consult a doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- It’s always recommended to monitor your baby’s temperature regularly. Also, note the fluctuations in your baby’s temperature in a notepad to help your doctor for assessing the changes in your body’s temperature.
- Give your baby more fluids, water, and chilled foods which help to cool down the body and prevents dehydration. Also, give your baby oral rehydration solutions with lukewarm water, ice pops, cold milk, chilled yogurt, fruit juice, etc. to replenish fluids and electrolytes.
- It’s must to keep your baby in cool (or indoor) places. Be sure that the room temperature should not be too cold or too hot (in between 70 – 74˚F), so change the setting of your fan or AC or heater accordingly.
- Also, be careful while dressing your infants. It should be comfortable with lightweight clothing and if needed, you can use a light blanket while your baby is sleeping but won’t bundle up with layers of clothes or extra blankets for your baby.
- Never ever leave you little one with a fever alone at any point of time. Also, be sure that your kid has to urinate at least once in 4 hours and also the urine should be a light colored.
- Don’t force your baby to consume a solid food but you can feed them with soft and low fiber foods (crackers, bread, refined hot cereals or cream of wheat) to get relief from fever.
- It’s always suggested to give the recommended dosage of medication (use a measuring device) and never give more than that quantity.
- Also, make sure to check with your pediatrician before using any medication or treatment at home for treating fever.
Try these natural remedies for treating fever in your baby but don’t forget to share your experience with us in the below comments box.