We generally experience facial sweating in summer season or after a heavy workout. But some people suffer from facial sweating throughout the year without any physical exertion or at cool environment due to a disorder called hyperhidrosis.
Sweating is a mechanism performed by the body to regulate its temperature. Sweating (especially facial sweating) is beneficial for the skin, as the pores don’t get clogged and skin can be able to breathe properly but excessive sweating is quite embarrassing and troublesome.
Nearly 8 million people in the United States are suffering from this hyperhidrosis problem. In a study conducted by the International Hyperhidrosis Society (IHHS), most people felt even more embarrassing of taking about excessive sweating than acne or obesity.
People suffering from diabetes, obesity, hyperthyroidism, heart problems, etc. are more prone to sweating. Although, the overactive sympathetic nervous system is one main cause for this excessive sweating. The other factors that trigger excessive sweating, including facial sweating is
Causes of Excessive Facial Sweating:
- Heat or warm environments
- Anxiety and Stress
- Reaction to certain medications
- Physical strain like exercises
- Emotional reactions like anger
- Pregnancy due to hormonal imbalance
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Thyroid problems, poor circulation or any other underlying health issues
However, there are many OTC medications or cosmetic treatments available to get rid of the excessive sweating, but the usage of natural effective home remedies will provide long lasting results without any side effects on the skin.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Excessive Facial Sweating:
You can easily control the excessive facial sweating and make your makeup or beauty last for longer by following the below mentioned simple home remedies. These remedies are quite effective and safe to use even in a longer run.
Remedy – 1: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel contains catechins, flavonoids, tannins, gallic acid and other essential oils that act as a potent sweat fighter to prevent you from getting excessive sweating. It also has a strong astringent property that helps to shrink the skin pores and thereby prevent you from this sweating on the face and other body parts.
- Take a clean cotton ball and soak in witch hazel for few seconds.
- Then take out the ball and squeeze to remove excess (if any).
- Apply a thin layer on the face and be sure that not to apply too much of this mix, as it causes skin dryness and irritation if applied too much quantity.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Pat dry the skin and repeat the same process regularly to get complete relief from excessive facial sweating.
Remedy – 2: (Green Gram)
Green gram or besan will absorb the extra moisture from the skin and prevent the overactivity of sweat glands to get rid of excessive facial sweating.
- Roast some green gram and grind it to make a fine powder.
- Then mix 1 teaspoon of this powder with some raw milk (unboiled).
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply it on the face.
- Allow it to sit for few minutes until semi-dry.
- Finally, rinse the applied area with water and dry the skin with a soft clean towel.
- Continue this process daily for 15 – 20 days to cure your facial sweating.
Remedy – 3: (Ice Cubes)
Applying ice or using cold water will help to shrink the skin pores and prevent overactivity of sweat glands to get rid of excessive facial sweating.
- Take an ice cube and place it in muslin.
- Wrap it and use it to wipe your face thoroughly.
- Continue this process for 2 – 3 times daily to cure excessive facial sweating.
Note: Or simply splash some cold water on your face to control excessive sweat and keep it fresh and clean.
Remedy – 4: (Cucumber Juice)
The natural astringent property of cucumber will help to control excessive facial sweating by shrinking the skin pores.
- Take a cucumber and extract its juice by using a blender or food processor.
- Refrigerate this cucumber juice for few minutes and apply it on the face by using a cotton swab.
- The cooling sensation produced by applying cucumber juice will shrink the pores and makes you feel fresh.
- Leave the juice for few minutes on the skin to get dried completely and rinse it off with water.
- Pat dry the skin and store the remaining juice in the refrigerator which can last for 3 – 4 days.
- Regular application will definitely help you in getting rid of the facial hyperhidrosis.
Remedy – 5: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has astringent and antimicrobial properties that help to shrink the skin pores causing excessive sweating along with killing the bacteria causing excessive sweating.
- Pour 7 – 8 drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 cup of water.
- Stir well and apply it on the facial area by using a clean cotton ball.
- Leave it for few minutes to get dried completely.
- Wash the area with water and dry the skin gently.
- Follow this process regularly until you get complete relief from excessive sweating on the face.
Remedy – 6: (Chamomile)
Being a rich source of astringent, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property, this chamomile helps to relieve your excessive sweating. It constricts the sweat glands and deodorizes the skin to counteract the odor. It also clears the bacteria and other microbes causing sweat and body odor.
Here are few ways of using chamomile for treating facial sweating.
- Add 1 teaspoon of chamomile in 1 cup of hot water and let it steep for few minutes. Then strain the tea to drink for getting relief from sweating. Regular intake of this chamomile tea will definitely help you to cure excessive sweating.
- Simply prepare a chamomile tea by steeping 1 teaspoon of chamomile in 1 cup of hot water (as mentioned above) and let it cool completely. Then apply it on the sweat areas by using a cotton ball. Leave for few minutes and rinse with water.
- Pour few drops of chamomile essential oil in your bathtub, which is filled with warm water. Soak in this water for about 5 – 10 minutes. Take this chamomile bath daily or in every alternate day to get relief from hyperhidrosis.
Remedy – 7: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps to balance your pH levels of the body and also constrict the sweat glands to reduce the sweat production in the body with its natural astringent property.
Here are 2 ways of using ACV for treating excessive facial sweating.
- Internal Process – Mix 1 tablespoon of organic, unfiltered ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well and consume this ACV drink for twice daily to cure the problem. For best results, drink this water on an empty stomach to control the excessive perspiration on the face and body.
- External Application – Rinse your face and dry it with a soft towel. Then apply a little of ACV on the facial area by using a cotton ball at night before bedtime. Leave it for overnight and in the morning take your shower to get rid of excessive sweating. If you’ve dry or sensitive skin then dilute ACV with water before application. Repeat it regularly.
Remedy – 8: (Sage Tea)
Sage acts as a natural antiperspirant and astringent due to the presence of tannins that helps to constrict the facial sweat glands and thereby prevents you from excessive sweating.
You can use sage either by mixing the sage extracts in the fruit juice (or) take it orally (or) apply it topically where you suffer from excessive perspiration. But the easy and most effective way is to use sage tea to control this hyperhidrosis.
- Place a sage tea bag (1 teaspoon of dried sage) in 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 4 – 6 minutes and take out the bag from the water.
- If using dried sage then strain the tea by using a strainer.
- Consume this sage tea for twice daily until you observe a noticeable reduction in your facial sweating.
- Or simply rinse your face with sage tea to control the facial sweating.
- Alternatively, use other herbal teas or black tea (which are enriched with tannins) to rinse your face for controlling the production of excessive sweating.
Remedy – 9: (White Sandalwood)
In Ayurveda, white sandalwood powder is an effective remedy used to control sweating due to its enzymes which absorb the extra moisture from the skin. The aromatic fragrance of this powder will help to prevent the body odor that caused due to excessive sweating.
- Add some fresh lemon juice, rose water and 1 tablespoon of white sandalwood powder in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and rinse the face with cool water.
- Dry it gently with a soft towel and apply this white sandalwood paste on the face.
- Let it dry completely and rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat the same process daily until you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 10: (Diet)
Along with the external remedies, you should take proper care on dealing with internal issues that result in hyperhidrosis. Diet is one main cause for excessive sweating and here are some of the diet changes which you have to include in your daily diet to get rid of hyperhidrosis.
- Reduce the salt intake, as it increases the sweating by enhancing water level in the body. So, avoid adding extra salt to your recipes, soups or salads.
- Drink plenty of water (cool water) and other healthy fresh juices, smoothies, coconut water, buttermilk, herbal teas, etc. in your diet to reduce the perspiration.
- Avoid the intake of full-fat milk, tea, and coffee in excess quantities, as they promote perspiration and make you feel sweaty all the time.
- Stay away from the junk, fast, oily or spicy foods and over processed foods and consume a healthy diet includes soups and salads.
- Drink 1 – 2 glasses of wheatgrass juice daily to neutralize the acids and to dilute toxins from the body, which in turn helps to reduce unwanted sweating from the body. The vitamin B and other nutrients help to regulate the body temperature and thereby control excessive sweating.
- Consume foods that are rich in zinc and magnesium that helps to control your stress and anxiety and thereby clears excessive sweating.
Tips and Precautions:
- Talcum powder is effective in absorbing excessive sweat from the face and body. Simply apply some on the face for twice daily to keep it dry and clean.
- Avoid the application of heavy oil-based lotions or creams on the face, especially in warm environments why because they aggravate sweating and may result in getting acne and other skin disorders.
- Always choose water-based lotions or moisturizers and use them in small quantities. Prefer to apply it in the evening or night time when the temperature is less or cool.
- In case, if you didn’t get any relief from excessive sweating (or if any recurrence) then make sure to consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment, as it can be due to any underlying health problem.
- Usage of chemical-based antiperspirants or deodorants will give rise to acne and other skin breakouts when used on the face. For people with sensitive skin, it results in allergic reactions as well.
- Quit smoking and reduce the intake of alcohol, caffeine, and its beverages, as they promote perspiration.
- Obesity or overweight is one main reason that causes sweating. So, try to maintain a healthy weight to prevent this sweating along with other health issues.
- Rinse your face with cool water (especially after a heavy workout or physical strain) and dry it with a soft towel. Also, wear loose cotton clothes (which absorb sweat easily) and avoid stepping in the sun, especially during peak hours of sun’s intensity.
- Reduce your stress and anxiety levels by performing yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises to get rid of many health problems, including excessive sweating.
- Applying aloe vera gel directly on the face will help to regulate excessive sweating with its soothing, cooling and astringent property. Repeat it regularly until you get rid of the problem.
Most people are choosing natural remedies to get relief from their problems without any side effects. Hope you’ll give a trial to these natural home remedies for excessive facial sweating. Do you know any other successful natural ways to get rid of facial sweating? Then share it with us in the below comments box.