Most of the people think that essential oils are widely used as aromatherapy agents, which relax and calm down your mind and body. But, do you know they are used to treat many physical conditions? Surprising! Isn’t it?
Yes, essential oils can be used to treat many skin, health and hair problems like acne, psoriasis, scalp infection, hair loss, blemishes or scars removal, swollen feet and ankles and gives flawless skin.
Here, in this article, we will let you how to use essential oils for treating swollen feet and ankles. The swelling indicates some fluid retention in the feet or ankles and it causes extreme pain until you get rid of the swelling.
In general, pregnancy, obesity, sprained ankles, PMS, congestive heart failure, Achilles’ tendonitis, osteoarthritis, deep vein thrombosis, walking (or sitting or standing) for long distance, cirrhosis, etc. are some causes for this ankle and foot swelling. It can also be termed as edema, a condition used to describe an excess of watery fluids that collected in the cavities and tissues of the body.
These essential oils help to reduce swelling, alleviate pain and soothes the swollen body parts but if the swelling persists (or occurs frequently) then you should consult your doctor immediately, as it can be a symptoms of any underlying disease like infection or illness, hypertension, liver failure, varicose veins, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
Essential oils contain diuretic, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help to clear this swollen ankles and feet.
Let’s get started…
Essential Oils to Treat Feet and Ankle Swelling:
Here we are explaining you some best essential oils which help you in dealing with swollen feet and ankles.
Make sure that you can use essential oil either directly or diluted with any carrier oil but diluting it in a carrier oil is the best way to grab effective results, as these oils are strong in nature and carrier oils will reduce its intensity to get rid of the irritation and itching.
Chamomile Essential Oil – It has anti-inflammatory property to help with your swollen limbs and thereby clears swelling feet, legs, and ankles. So, simple apply few drops of this oil on the affected area and massage it for few minutes (or) Pour oil on a damp towel and use it to rub on the legs and feet.
Lavender Essential Oil – Its application will ease the discomfort of swelling in different parts of the body. Simply apply few drops of lavender oil directly on the affected areas and massage gently by using a moderate pressure. Repeat regularly till the pain or swelling subsides.
Tea Tree Essential Oil – This oil has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces your swelling and pain along with clearing the water or fluid retention. Simply dilute few drops of tea tree oil in any carrier oil and apply it on the swollen areas. Massage gently using outward strokes by moving from feet up towards the knees to clear the fluid. Continue it twice daily to treat swollen feet and ankles.
Fennel Essential Oil – It helps a lot in clearing the retention on the skin and thus make it function properly. This oil when mixed with other essential oils will give relief from the pain and other discomforts. Mix 15 drops each of fennel oil and cypress oil in 30 ml of evening primrose oil. Stir and massage this oil mix on the swollen areas to get rid of the problem.
Geranium Essential Oil – It balances the oil glands causing the skin to get inflamed. So, mix few drops of rose geranium oil in any carrier oil and apply it directly on the swollen body parts. Massage gently for few minutes and repeat the process regularly till you get rid of the problem.
Juniper Essential Oil – This oil is effective in treating swelling caused due to rheumatism, water retention and premenstrual symptoms. It also detoxifies the body and gives instant relief from swelling and pain. Stir few drops of this oil in any carrier oil and apply it on the legs where you’re suffering from this swelling.
Grapefruit Essential Oil – The strong anti-inflammatory compounds in this oil will help to reduce swelling in the feet and ankles. You can either apply it directly to the skin or blend it with a carrier oil. Rub it gently on the applied areas for few minutes and repeat it twice daily until you cleared this problem.
How to use Essential Oils for Swollen Ankles and Feet:
Here are some best ways of using essential oils to get rid of ankles and feet swelling. Have a look at them and follow them regularly till you get complete relief from the pain and swelling.
1. Massage Therapy:
Till now, we came to know the benefits of using essential oils separately but to form a therapeutic mix that has more incredible healing abilities, why not we combine these oils together and apply it on the affected area.
Now let’s have a look on some essential oil blends which help you in relieving your pain and swelling.
Method – 1: (Blend of Grapefruit with Lemongrass and Cypress Oil)
All these essential oils have an anti-inflammatory property that works on the swollen area to give you relief within few minutes.
- Pour 2 – 3 drops each of lemongrass oil, grapefruit oil and cypress oil in 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of melted coconut oil.
- Stir all these oil ingredients using a toothpick and apply it on the affected areas.
- Massage gently for about 5 – 10 minutes and continue this application 2 – 3 times daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Or simply mix 10 drops each of these oils in a bottle and shake well and use 6 – 8 drops of this oil mix when you need by using a dropper.
- Also, you can include 10 drops each of fennel oil, juniper berry oil and geranium oil along with the above essential oil mix. Replace fractionated coconut oil with canola or sunflower oil.
- Remember that swollen feet and ankles are mostly caused due to poor blood circulation. So, to enhance the blood circulation, keep your feet up while using this massage therapy.
Method – 2: (Blend of Peppermint, Lemon and Eucalyptus Oil)
This oil blend is very effective in treating pain and swelling with its pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. It also relaxes your mind and body with its relaxing property by acting as a soothing concoction.
- Pour 2 – 3 drops each of peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and lemon oil in 1 ounce of melted coconut oil.
- Stir all these oils in a small bowl using a toothpick.
- Apply it on the swollen feet and ankles and massage gently for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Repeat it 2 – 3 times daily to get quick relief from the feet and ankles swelling.
- For additional fragrance and relaxation, you can add 2 – 3 drops of lavender oil to this oil mix before application.
- If you’re suspecting that swelling is caused due to any infection then you can replace eucalyptus oil with tea tree oil, which contains antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties to get rid of the infection.
2. Foot Soak:
Soaking your feet in essential oils will also help you in treating the swollen ankles and feet. Here are some ways which you try it to get rid of the problem.
Method – 1: (Chamomile Essential Oil)
Chamomile oil reduces the inflammation, relieves your pain and soothes the nerves and aching muscles. Always prefer to use German chamomile essential oil for these foot soaks, as it contains azulene compound that helps a lot in reducing the swelling.
- Fill the foot tub (medium tub) with warm water and add 5 – 10 drops of chamomile oil to it.
- Stir and soak your feet in this water for at least 10 minutes (or till the water stays warm).
- Do this foot soak for 2 – 3 times daily for best results.
Method – 2: (Wintergreen Essential Oil)
Wintergreen oil is highly effective oil with strong nature that helps to reduce the swelling and relax your sore feet and ankles. It acts as a pain reliever that widely used to treat many conditions like muscle pain, headaches, painful ankles, and feet.
- Fill a medium tub with warm water and pour 2 – 3 drops of wintergreen essential oil to it.
- Adding other essentials oil like 5 – 8 drops of peppermint, lavender, geranium, lemongrass or cypress essential oil will complement this mix and aids in quick relief.
- Stir and soak your feet in this water for 10 minutes (or till the water is warm).
- Continue this process for 2 – 3 times daily till you reduce the pain and swelling.
Note: Also, after soaking, dry your feet and massage the affected area gently with essential oil blend for getting quick relief.
Method – 3: (Juniper Essential Oil)
Juniper essential oil helps a lot in treating your pain and swelling with its anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties, as I mentioned in the above.
- Pour few drops of juniper oil in a small tub filled with lukewarm water.
- Stir and dip your feet in this water and leave it for 15 – 20 minutes.
- You will experience the relief from swelling within few minutes.
- Repeat this foot soak once or twice daily.
Method – 4: (Essential Oil Blend)
Using more than one essential oil will help you in clearing the fluids stored in your limbs and thereby relieves your swollen ankles and legs.
- Mix 1 drop each of lemon oil and geranium oil and 2 drops of lavender oil in your small tub filled with warm water.
- Stir and dip your feet in this water, make sure that ankles and feet are properly dipped in water (check water level).
- Soak your feet for 5 – 10 minutes (not more than 10 minutes) and dry it gently.
- Repeat it once or twice daily.
Tips and Precautions:
- Pregnant women and children below 7 years should not use essential oils for treating any problem.
- If you’re suffering from swollen ankles, then place some stones or pebbles in the bottom of the tub and gently rub your soles over them to get extra relaxation but don’t do it if you’re suffering from swollen feet.
- Always keep your body well hydrated by drinking more of water to flush out the toxins, salt, and other impurities.
- Prefer to take an Epsom salt bath, which contains anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties along with clearing the water retention in the body.
- Don’t wear tight clothes, as it can restrict the proper flow of blood to your limbs and thereby causes retention of water and fluids.
- Reduce the intake of salt, caffeinated or carbonated drinks and quit smoking and drinking alcohol, as it causes water or fluid retention and causes swelling.
- Consult your doctor or medical professional if you’re experiencing fever, shortness of breath, chest pain or any liver or heart problems while suffering from swollen ankles and feet for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these essential oils for swollen ankles and feet. Do you know any other successful essential oils for treating ankles and feet swelling? Then share it with us in the below comments box.