Eczema – An autoimmune inflammatory skin problem that affects almost 30 million American people of all ages. It is characterized by red, scaly, dry, flaky, inflamed and itchy rashes on the skin. People with dry and sensitive skin are more prone to get this eczema, as their skin produces less oil than required and thereby the skin loses its ability to retain moisture that creates gaps between the skin cells.
Then the bacteria grow in this gap, which in turn results in redness, swelling, blistering and itching. Stress, food allergy, hormonal imbalance, genetics, environmental irritants, etc. will trigger eczema. Remember that eczema cannot be cured completely but it can be controlled to a maximum extent.
It is not a contagious skin problem and we can easily reduce its intensity by moisturizing and improving the strength of the skin. Avoid itching on the broken skin, as it prone to infection and irritation. You have to take special skin care to get rid of this eczema flare ups.
Using commercial chemical laden eczema creams or treatments will harm your skin in a long run and also prevent the skin’s ability to moisture naturally. Then why not you choose home remedies to treat eczema naturally.
Here we are going to know the best essential oils that help to soothe and heal your irritated and itchy skin naturally. Scroll down to have a look at the best essential oils and its usage for treating eczema.
Best Essential Oils for Eczema:
Regular usage of these essential oils will definitely help you in reducing the eczema flare ups, reduce the itching and soothes your irritated skin.
Oil – 1: (Tea Tree Essential Oil)
The antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil help to treat eczema by reducing the itching, prevent bacterial growth and soothe the irritated skin. It penetrates deep into the skin to soothe the irritation and repairs the damaged skin cells.
- Pour 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1/4 cup of jojoba oil.
- Stir well and use this oil mix to massage on all over eczema affected skin areas.
- Make sure to massage the oil till it absorbs into the skin.
- Leave it for few hours to overnight.
- Repeat the same process regularly until you get relief from itchy and dry rashes on the skin.
Oil – 2: (Lavender Essential Oil)
Lavender oil exhibits skin soothing, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce itching, inflammation, and redness on the skin. It also locks the moisture in the skin to get rid of dry peeling skin caused by eczema.
- Add 2 handfuls of instant oatmeal in your bathtub filled with warm water.
- Then add 7 – 10 drops of lavender oil to it and stir the water with clean hands.
- Now soak in this water for at least 20 minutes to soothe your irritated skin.
- Continue this soothing bath regularly to get rid of eczema and its symptoms on the skin.
Oil – 3: (Frankincense Essential Oil)
This oil is very effective in healing scars and redness on the skin. It helps to calm down the inflammation, itching, and irritation with its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It increases the effectiveness of other oils which are mixed with it.
- Mix 7 – 10 drops of frankincense oil in 2 ounces of shea butter.
- Stir well to make a powerful eczema skin soothing cream.
- Slather it all over eczema affected skin areas.
- Continue applying this cream regularly for best results.
Oil – 4: (Chamomile Essential Oil)
Chamomile oil is an excellent remedy for treating dry eczema with its skin soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to heal the pain, swelling, and inflammation along with reducing the skin redness.
It is very effective in treating irritated skin and allergies like poison ivy or skin rashes with its antibacterial, antiseptic, antioxidant and calming properties.
- Add 5 – 7 drops of chamomile oil in 2 ounces of softened mango butter.
- Stir well to make a cooling cream and apply it on the eczema skin.
- Repeat this application once or twice daily.
Oil – 5: (Helichrysum Essential Oil)
Helichrysum oil exhibits the strong anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce the pain, itching and other eczema inhibitions. It also reduces the itchy rashes or blisters and scars caused by eczema and soothes the skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of beeswax pellets, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 4 tablespoons of cocoa butter in a clean mason jar.
- Now place this jar in a pan filled with water (like a double boiler) and heat the pan over low flame until all these ingredients are melted completely.
- Then wait for few minutes to cool the mix and add 10 drops each of helichrysum oil and lavender oil to it.
- Stir well and leave it to harden the mix for about an hour or two.
- Apply this helichrysum healer cream on eczema affected areas regularly to soothe the skin and lessen the eczema flare-ups.
Oil – 6: (Geranium Essential Oil)
Known for its non – toxic, non – sensitizing and non – irritant properties, geranium oil is effective in treating many skin conditions like dry skin, acne, psoriasis, and eczema. It soothes the skin and clears the bacteria or microbes on the skin to heal the skin infection.
- Combine 5 – 10 drops of geranium oil in 1/2 cup of avocado oil.
- Stir and store this mix in a glass bottle to use it as a moisturizer.
- Apply it liberally on the eczema areas to moisturize the skin and heal this irritated skin.
- Applying this moisturizer daily will help you to get relief from this eczema and its symptoms.
Oil – 7: (Juniper Essential Oil)
Juniper oil is not only effective in treating cellulite or reducing puffy eyes but also works well in treating and soothing weeping eczema. It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help to soothe the irritated skin and relieves you from itching.
- Pour 3 drops each of juniper oil and peppermint oil in a glass bowl filled with cold water.
- Stir well and soak a clean cloth in this cold water as a cold compress.
- Wring out and place it on the affected areas.
- Leave for a minute or two and repeat the same process regularly to soothe the irritation and itching.
Oil – 8: (Neroli Essential Oil)
For dry or itchy patches of eczema skin, neroli essential oil is the best soother. It is extracted from delicate white neroli flowers. It helps to heal the inflamed skin and soothe the itching and irritation.
- In 2 ounces of melted coconut oil, mix 5 – 7 drops of neroli essential oil.
- Stir well with the help of a spatula and apply it evenly on eczema affected areas.
- Massage gently for few minutes and repeat this nourishing treatment regularly until you get rid of the problem.
Oil – 9: (Bergamot Essential Oil)
Bergamot oil is extracted from bergamot oranges and acts as an effective remedy for treating dry eczema. Being a photosensitive oil, you have to apply this bergamot oil only at night before bed time. It causes negative effects on the skin if you apply it at day time before stepping out in the sun.
- Stir 5 – 7 drops of bergamot essential oil in 2 ounces of avocado butter.
- Mix well and store this bergamot balm in a dry place.
- Apply it at night before bed time and leave it for overnight.
- Continue applying this balm regularly at night time to promote healthy and clear skin.
Oil – 10: (Thyme Essential Oil)
Known for its effective antibacterial, antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, the thyme oil helps to disinfect eczema affected skin and thus reduces the redness, irritation, and inflammation.
- In 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil, add 7 – 10 drops of thyme essential oil.
- Stir well and transfer this mix to a clean container.
- Now apply this mix liberally on the eczema skin.
- Continue applying this thyme oil treatment for thrice daily to grab fast and best results.
Oil – 11: (Patchouli Essential Oil)
Patchouli oil is originated in South East Asia that has the ability to calm down the mind and thereby reduces the stress, depression, and anxiety. It exhibits a wide variety of healing properties that soothe your inflamed and itching skin, locks the moisture in the body and calms the irritated skin.
- Add 5 – 7 drops of patchouli oil in 1 cup of distilled water and stir well.
- Then fill an empty spray bottle with this oil mixed water.
- Shake well and use it as your soothing spray for eczema.
- Spray it on eczema affected areas for immediate soothing relief from itching, pain and skin redness.
Oil – 12: (Benzoin Essential Oil)
Gum Benjamin is also known as benzoin oil which is most popularly used for fumigation and incense in olden days but do you know that this oil is an excellent remedy for treating dry parched skin. It effectively heals the wounds, sores or skin rashes and soothes irritated eczema.
- Add 6 drops of benzoin essential oil and 1 teaspoon of wheat germ oil in 1/4 cup of almond oil.
- Stir and pour this mix in an amber glass bottle.
- Apply it on eczema affected areas and massage gently for few minutes.
- Repeat the application of this benzoin blend on the eczema skin to get control over the problem.
Oil – 13: (Marjoram Essential Oil)
Sweet marjoram oil will relieve your discomforts and skin irritations associated with eczema. It has an anti-inflammatory property that soothes your skin and treats many problems like migraines, insomnia, insect bites, and headaches.
- Combine 5 – 7 drops of sweet marjoram oil with 1/2 cup of rosehip oil.
- Stir well and transfer this oil mix into an amber glass bottle.
- Now shake well to make a massage oil blend and pour few drops with a dropper on the affected skin areas.
- Do this massaging regularly to soothe the skin irritation and inflammation.
Oil – 14: (Birch Essential Oil)
Being an excellent cleansing and purifying agent, birch essential oil provides many skin and beauty benefits, including eczema. It clears the congested skin and treats skin problems (like dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis) by rejuvenating the dull skin.
- Soften 3 tablespoons of shea butter in a double boiler.
- Then add 3 tablespoons of organic coconut oil, 6 drops of birch oil and 3 drops of peppermint oil to it.
- Mix all these ingredients well till it forms into a whipped cream.
- Apply this whipped cream on eczema affected skin areas.
- Regular follow – up will yield best results in treating eczema.
Oil – 15: (Hyssop Essential Oil)
For treating dry eczema, hyssop oil is the best remedy for its skin soothing and moisturizing properties. It seals moisture into the skin and thereby reduces the irritation, itching, and pain caused by eczema rashes.
- Pour 7 – 10 drops of hyssop essential in 2 ounces of vitamin E cream.
- Stir well and transfer this mix into a small mason jar.
- Use it as your eczema cream to get cooling relief and repeat it regularly for best results.
Other than applying these essential oils on the skin, you have to drink plenty of water, consume a healthy diet and avoid anything that is allergic to you. Pregnant or breastfeeding women and babies should not use this essential oil without consulting their doctor.
Make sure to dilute your essential oil in any base lotion/cream or carrier oil before using, as the base will reduce the intensity of essential oil. Also, use 100% pure essential oils for treating your eczema.
Try these essential oils for treating your eczema. Do you know any other successful oils to get control over eczema flare-ups? Then share it with us in the below comments box.