Everyone wants to have healthy scalp, shiny and voluminous hair. Dandruff is a most embarrassing and a nightmare for people who are suffering from it.
Dandruff is a common scalp problem that results in the shredding of excessive amounts of dead skin flakes from the scalp. The main reasons for this overproduction of dead skin are dry skin, nutritional deficiencies, harsh chemical based shampoos and other hair care products, environmental factors, oily scalp, over washing of scalp, excessive growth of a yeast-like organism, etc.
These days, more and more people prefer to use natural remedies rather than store brought anti-dandruff shampoos or products, as they have adverse side effects. There are many natural remedies like Baking Soda, Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Olive Oil for treating dandruff.
The essential oils will effectively treat dandruff with its amazing properties. So, in this article, we will discuss how to use essential oils for treating dandruff.
Let’s get started…
Essential Oils for Dandruff:
Remember that the usage of essential oils will not cure dandruff overnight but using them in your regular hair care routine will help you to get rid of dandruff, soothe your irritated or itchy scalp and also maintaining a healthy scalp.
Essential oils should be diluted before application either on the skin or hair for proper absorption and reducing the irritation or burning sensation caused on sensitive skin.
Here are some best essential oils that are widely used to treat dandruff by disinfecting and calming the scalp along with clearing the itchiness.
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil:
Tea tree oil has antimicrobial, antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties that help to kill the bacteria, yeast (fungus) or germs causing this dandruff. It exhibits the anti-inflammatory property that soothes and cools the irritated, itchy and inflamed scalp.
Stir 5 – 7 drops of tea tree oil in 1/4 cup of coconut oil (or jojoba oil). Apply this oil mix on the scalp at night before bedtime. Leave for overnight and rinse off with tepid water and mild shampoo in the next morning. Repeat it twice a week till you get complete relief from the problem.
Check out more about How to Clear Dandruff using Tea Tree Oil
2. Rosemary Essential Oil:
Rosemary essential oil has potent antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the yeast (fungus) causing dandruff. It also penetrates deep into the scalp and increases the circulation to get relief from dandruff.
This essential oil doesn’t require any dilution and you can apply it topically on the affected area to get rid of the problem.
Mix 5 – 7 drops of rosemary oil in tepid water and use this rosemary water as your hair rinse after using a natural shampoo to clear dandruff and to maintain fresh scalp.
Click Here to Know How Rosemary Oil Helps to Grow your Hair
3. Lavender Essential Oil:
Lavender essential oil exhibits antimicrobial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the yeast fungus causing dandruff and calms the irritated and itching scalp. It has regenerative properties that promote healthy and germ-free scalp as well as makes your hair smells great.
Add 7 – 10 drops of lavender oil in any of the carrier oil (your choice). Stir well and apply it on all over the scalp at night before bedtime. Leave it for overnight, as it calms the irritated scalp and thus promotes peaceful sleep along with clearing dandruff.
4. Thyme Essential Oil:
The powerful antifungal and antiseptic properties of thyme essential oil will stave off the germs and fungus causing dandruff and scalp infections. This oil invigorates the scalp and thereby stimulating the circulation in the scalp to maintain healthy and dandruff free scalp.
Mix few drops of thyme oil in 1/4 cup of olive oil and use it to massage all over the scalp and hair. Leave it on for few hours to overnight and then rinse your hair with mild shampoo followed by water. Regular follow – up of this oil massage will help you to get rid of dandruff.
5. Chamomile Essential Oil:
The calming properties of chamomile oil will help to soothe the itchy, dry and irritated scalp. It has anti-inflammatory nature that aids in reducing the pain, swelling, and inflammation.
In certain times, chamomile regulates the sebum on the scalp and thereby clears dryness and itchy flakes along with balancing the scalp’s natural oils and moisture. Regular application will enable the scalp to stay it well moisturized and hydrated.
Mix 5 – 7 drops of chamomile essential oil in 1 cup of distilled water. Use it as your hair rinse to get control of dandruff. Or else combine 7 drops of chamomile oil in any carrier oil and apply it on the scalp. Wait for few hours and rinse your hair with water and mild shampoo.
6. Peppermint Essential Oil:
Peppermint essential oil provides a soothing and cooling sensation on the scalp that calms the irritated and itchy scalp. It effectively removes the dead cells (white flakes) on the scalp to clear dandruff.
Stir 7 drops of peppermint essential oil in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix and use it to massage on your scalp. Let it sit for 2 – 3 hours and rinse your hair thoroughly with tepid water. Do it regularly for getting quick relief from dandruff and to stimulate healthy hair growth.
7. Patchouli Essential Oil:
Patchouli oil is another best essential oil for treating dandruff. The antifungal and antimicrobial properties of this oil will help to stave off the bacteria and yeast causing dandruff and also the buildup of dead cells as well as treats scalp infections. You can apply this oil with or without diluting it.
Mix 3 – 5 drops of patchouli oil in any carrier oil and apply it onto the scalp. Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it on for few minutes to control your dandruff.
The combination of Essential Oils to Treat Dandruff:
We can mix essential oils for more effective results and here are some best process of mixing essential oils for treating dandruff. Have a look at these methods and try it.
Method – 1: (Essential Oils Tonic)
We can consume some essential oils like oregano, lemongrass oil by diluting with water. They work internally to maintain proper pH balance of the scalp and thereby regulate the excess sebum production.
- Mix 1 – 2 drops each of oregano oil, lemongrass and lavender oil in 4 – 6 ounces of water.
- Stir well and consume it as a tonic.
- Regular follow – up of this process will definitely help you to get complete relief from the problem.
Method – 2: (Essential Oils Hair and Scalp Mask)
We all know that essential oils help you to get control over dandruff due to its many amazing properties. Here is the mask that not only treats dandruff but also nourishes your hair.
- Mix 8 drops each of rosemary oil and cedarwood oil, 6 drops of tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 4 ounces of carrier oil (almond or olive or coconut oil).
- Stir well and pour it into a container.
- Apply it on the scalp and massage gently for few minutes till the oil is well absorbed by the scalp.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes and rinse off with water and mild shampoo.
- For best results, you can leave it for overnight by covering your hair with a shower cap.
- Repeat it regularly till you get complete relief from dandruff and its symptoms.
Method – 3: (Essential Oils Shampoo)
Usage of commercial or harsh chemical based shampoos will cause more harm to your hair rather than treating the problem. So, here we will discuss how to prepare and use some essential oil based shampoos to get control over dandruff.
- Mix 5 – 6 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil in 1 ounce (30 ml) of your mild shampoo. Stir well and use it as your shampoo on the scalp. Wait for 5 minutes and rinse off with water. Do it once daily till you combat dandruff completely.
- If you’re suffering from psoriasis along with dandruff, mix 15 drops each of thyme oil and patchouli oil and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil. Stir well in your regularly used mild shampoo and use it to rinse your scalp and hair.
- If suffering from oily scalp and dandruff, then mix 4 drops each of lemon, tea tree and eucalyptus oils in 1 ounce of shampoo. Stir well and rub it all over the scalp. Wait for 5 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat it once daily to get dandruff and oily free scalp.
- Prepare your own essential oil shampoo by mixing 25 drops of preferred essential oils, 4 teaspoons of coconut oil in 1/2 cup each of liquid castile soap and distilled water. Stir well and pour a small amount of this shampoo into a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Use it as your shampoo and repeat it twice a week till you get rid of dandruff.
Method – 4: (Essential Oil Hair Rinse)
Hair rinse helps to remove the traces of oil that remain in your hair without being washed off after shampooing the hair. Here are few hair rinses that work well in clearing dandruff.
- If you’ve extremely oily scalp or hair, then add few drops of tea tree oil and lemon oil in 1 liter of water. Stir well in a bucket and pour this water over your head for a good soak. Here tea tree oil clears fungi and inflammation and lemon regulates the sebum production.
- If you’ve normal scalp, then mix few drops of chamomile oil or lavender oil in 1 liter of water. Pour it on your head to get rid of dandruff that caused by any allergies.
- Mix 25 drops each of lavender oil and tea tree oil and 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in a 4-ounce container. Stir well and pour 3 tablespoons of this vinegar mix in 2 cups of warm water. Use it as your hair rinse after shampooing your hair. Massage well and rinse it with warm water.
Method – 5: (Essential Oils Spray)
Spraying the essential oil mix will help to clear the yeast fungus, nourish your hair, calm down the itching and irritation on the scalp.
- Fill the 2 oz spray bottle with any carrier oil up to 2/3 part of the bottle.
- Then pour 1 teaspoon of calendula extract and 10 drops each of tea tree oil, lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus oil in it.
- Now close the lid of the spray bottle and shake it well till all these ingredients are well mixed.
- Store it away from direct sunlight and use it regularly by spraying it on the dry hair.
- Make sure that you have to cover all over the scalp with this spray mix and then massage gently using your fingers or a brush.
- Leave it like that and use it regularly to combat dandruff and to have healthy and shiny hair.
- If you feel oily on the scalp, you can wash out your hair with mild shampoo in the next morning.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Rinse your hair with shampoo and conditioner for 3 – 4 times a week regularly.
- Drink plenty of water and consume healthy organic foods along with avoiding the foods that contain yeast like bread, minimizing the intake of sugars, processed foods, and foods that prepared with processed oils till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Always use natural or mild shampoos for cleansing your hair and scalp.
- Be sure to check your diet before consuming to know there are no allergens that causing eczema/psoriasis.
- Avoid using essential oils neat onto the scalp for treating dandruff. So, mix them you any of the carrier oil like coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, etc. before using.
- For best results, always use high quality 100% pure essential oils for treating your skin or hair problems.
- If you’re pregnant or nursing women, children or allergic to any these essential oils, then make sure to consult your medical practitioner before using these essential oils for treating dandruff.
- You can also use other essential oils like lemongrass, wintergreen, cypress, oregano, chamomile, eucalyptus oil, lemon, evergreen essential oils to fight off the fungus and yeast causing dandruff.
- Simply mix lemon, lavender, peppermint or rosemary essential oil with any carrier oil and apply it on your scalp. Massage gently to spread this oil mix all over the scalp and hair. Leave it on for few hours to overnight and rinse off with water.
Try these essential oils for dandruff. Do you think anything I missed mentioning about essential oils for clearing dandruff? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply