Do you know that 70 – 80% of young adults in the United States are suffering from acne? This inflammatory skin disease is caused when the pores are clogged due to excess oil, dead skin, bacteria and other impurities.
Other factors include hormonal imbalance, poor diet, stress, improper skin hygiene, certain medications, genetics, etc. It causes painful and unsightly breakouts on the skin, especially on the face, back, chest, arms, and legs, which in turn result in diminished self-esteem and scarring.
People of all ages are suffering from occasional breakouts and chronic acne plagues but most sufferers are choosing chemical treatments and OTC medications to treat their skin problem, which contain harsh chemicals that damage your skin and have side effects as well. The best way is to choose natural remedies for treating acne.
Essential oils are one such effective natural remedy for acne which can tackle the root of the problem to give you complete relief from acne. So, here we will discuss some best essential oils used widely for treating acne.
Are Essential Oils good for Acne?
Essential oils are very effective in tackling the root of the problem and also gentle on the skin. Here are some essential oil properties mentioned that help you to rescue this problem.
- It has antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties that kill the bacteria (P.acne) causing acne on the skin.
- Certain essential oils (like lavender oil) will soothe and protect the skin from any irritation or stress.
- These oils will help to alleviate the anxiety and stress feelings, enhance your sleep to fight insomnia and sleep deprivation and thereby balance your hormone levels to get rid of the acne.
- They contain astringent property that helps the skin to produce the right amount of oils and thereby reduce the secretion of excess oil on the skin and prevent clogged pores.
- They have an anti-inflammatory property that soothes your skin by reducing redness, pain, swelling, and inflammation of the acne affected skin areas.
Best Essential Oils for Acne:
Let’s have a look at the best essential oils that widely used to treat acne and its scars and try them to get rid of acne.
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil:
Tea tree oil comes first in treating acne with its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It has an excellent compound called terpinen – 4 – ol that destroys the bacteria causing acne and disinfect the skin pores to clear this problem. In a study, it is proved that tea tree oil is 3.6 times more effective than placebo for treating acne.
- Pour 2 – 3 drops of tea tree essential oil in a clean cotton ball.
- Apply it directly on the acne affected skin areas.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse with water.
- Or simply pour few drops of tea tree oil to your daily face or body wash and use it regularly to get rid of the problem.
- Or dilute few drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 cup of water and pour it into an empty spray bottle. Spray it on your face and other acne affected skin areas. Leave for few minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
Note: If you’ve sensitive skin then mix few drops of tea tree oil in any carrier oil and apply it on the acne affected skin areas with your clean fingers.
Check out more on How to cure Acne using Tea Tree Oil.
2. Lavender Essential Oil:
Lavender oil exhibits antimicrobial, analgesic and antioxidant properties that clear acne causing bacteria and nourish your skin to recover your skin from the damage caused by acne. It soothes the skin and reduces the appearance of dark spots and acne scars. It reduces your stress and anxiety along with improving your quality of sleep to reduce acne breakouts and to promote healthy skin.
- Apply lavender oil directly (neat application) on the acne affected skin areas by using a cotton swab.
- Prefer to apply it night time before going to bed and leave for few minutes to overnight.
- Rinse with water in the next morning and repeat it once or twice daily.
Note: Or simply diffuse 5 – 7 drops of lavender oil at home or apply directly on the wrists, temples or back of the neck to alleviate the stress feeling and thereby trigger the sebum production to get rid of acne.
3. Clary Sage Essential Oils:
Linalyl acetate is an ester present in clary sage that helps to reduce skin inflammation and irritations like acne. It exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic, antidepressant and astringent properties that make it as powerful oil for treating acne. It regulates the sebum production, restricts the spread of bacteria, alleviates the feel of anxiety and stress and also reset your hormonal balance.
- Pour 25 – 30 drops of clary sage oil in your bathtub filled with warm water.
- Stir and soak in this water for about 15 – 30 minutes.
- This clary sage bath will help to treat back acne (bacne) or other forms of acne on the skin effectively.
- Do it once daily until you get complete relief from acne.
- Or diffuse 5 – 7 drops of clary sage oil at home to get rid of restlessness and insomnia, which in turn prevent the acne breakouts.
- Or pour 1 – 3 drops of clary sage oil by using a cotton ball on the affected areas.
- Also, dilute this essential oil with any carrier oil (coconut or jojoba oil) and use it to massage the acne affected skin areas for few minutes.
4. Juniper Berry Essential Oil:
Juniper berry oil has antimicrobial, natural detoxifying and stress reducing properties that help a lot in curbing the growth of bacteria, removes toxins from the body and soothes your skin from irritation caused by acne with its alpha – pinene, p-cymene, and beta – pinene compounds.
- Apply 2 – 4 drops of this oil directly on the acne affected areas. Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- If you’ve sensitive skin, then dilute this berry oil with jojoba oil or coconut oil before applying on the areas of concern.
5. Rosemary Essential Oil:
Rosemary oil is an effective remedy for treating acne with its antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the full blown breakouts. It creates an ideal environment to P. acnes bacteria, controls the sebum production, lessens your skin redness and relieves your pain caused by acne.
Here are few ways of applying rosemary oil for acne.
- Dilute 3 – 4 drops of rosemary oil in 1 teaspoon of any carrier oil. Stir well and apply it on the acne affected skin areas. Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it for few hours to overnight. Do it once or twice daily.
- You can prepare Body Wash by simply mixing 3/4 cup of ground oatmeal in 1/2 cup each of green tea and rose water till it forms a paste. Then add 6 drops of rosemary oil and apply it all over the body instead of using soap. The regular usage of this body wash will cool and soothe your inflamed skin and clears bacteria to unclog your skin pores.
6. Bergamot Essential Oil:
This oil is extracted from the bergamot orange that exhibits powerful antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It controls the sebum production, promotes the growth of healthy skin, and minimizes the appearance of acne scars. It also reduces your stress levels and thereby clears acne and its scars.
- Make a blend by mixing 5 drops of pure undiluted bergamot oil (100%) with 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or coconut or jojoba oil). Then add few drops of any other acne – fighting essential oils in this blend. Apply it on the affected areas of the skin and massage gently for few minutes. Repeat it regularly.
- Prepare bergamot scrub by mixing 2 teaspoons of orange peel powder, 1 – 2 drops of bergamot oil and 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water to make a paste. Apply it on the skin and rinse off with lukewarm water after 10 – 15 minutes. Dry the skin and repeat regularly to control oily skin and lighten scars.
7. Oregano Essential Oil:
Oregano has rich content of phenols than any other aromatic plants. These phenols exhibit strong disinfectant property which helps to clear acne and its symptoms. Make sure to use less quantity why because it causes skin irritation and itching if used in large amounts.
- Add 1 – 2 drops of oregano essential oil to your moisturizer (daily used one).
- Mix and apply it on the acne affected skin areas.
- Massage gently and apply it regularly to get rid of acne.
- Or mix 2 – 3 drops of oregano oil in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Dab it on the acne affected skin areas by using a cotton ball. Leave it to dry naturally and do it twice daily (once in the morning and once at night before bedtime) to get rid of acne blemishes and further breakouts.
- You should be very careful while applying oregano oil, never apply it near or on the eye areas, as it causes burning sensation.
8. Basil Essential Oil:
The strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of basil oil will make it as best essential oils for acne. You can use basil oil as your facial steam or use few fresh basil leaves as anti-acne face masks.
- Pour boiling water in a large pot and add 2 – 4 drops of basil essential oil in this water.
- Then cover your head till pot by managing the distance over the hot water.
- Now allow this basil steam to open up the skin pores and thereby clears the buildup of bacteria or other impurities in the skin.
- Rinse your face after few minutes and continue this get this steam regularly to get rid of the problem.
9. Geranium Essential Oil:
Geranium oil is rich in antioxidants and antibacterial compounds that help to fight against acne causing bacteria and other impurities.
- Add 4 drops of geranium essential oil in 5 teaspoons of pure aloe vera gel.
- Mix well to make a geranium gel and apply it at night before bedtime.
- Repeat the application of geranium gel regularly till you get complete relief from acne.
How to use Essential Oils for Acne:
Here are some best ways of using essential oils for treating acne. You can either apply it directly or in combination with any carrier oil. Coconut oil will work best in treating acne with its amazing hydrating and deep penetrating property.
Jojoba oil acts as a cleanser and protectant that boosts your skin’s health by fighting against the harmful bacteria and heals acne and its scars on the skin.
Method – 1: (Face Wash)
This wash helps to kill the bacteria causing acne and invigorate the skin. It leaves the skin hydrated, refreshed and clean.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 20 drops of tea tree oil, 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons of honey and 2 capsules of live probiotics in a bowl.
- Blend it with a hand blender and pour this mix in an empty glass bottle.
- Store it in a cool place and use it regularly as your face wash to clean the skin.
Note: Also, prepare chamomile face wash by adding 2 tablespoons of pure castile liquid soap in an empty soap dispenser. Fill the remaining with water and add 10 drops of chamomile oil in it. Shake well and lather your face for a minute before washing it off. Repeat it twice daily.
Method – 2: (DIY Lavender Soap)
This soap nourishes and hydrates your skin with the rich lavender oil content. It is a homemade natural soap that is free from harmful chemicals.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour soap base into a glass bowl and place this bowl in a saucepan filled with water.
- Put the pan on the stove over medium heat and allow it to melt completely.
- Then remove it from heat and cool it slightly.
- Now add 20 – 30 drops of lavender oil and 3 drops of vitamin E oil to it.
- Stir well and transfer this mix into a soap mold.
- Finally, cool the mix completely before popping bar out of the soap mold.
- Use this lavender soap as your regular soap bar to get rid of acne and other skin blemishes.
Method – 3: (Acne Scar Remover)
This acne scar removal paste will fade your acne scars and lighten your skin with an even tone.
Steps to be followed…
- Stir 3 drops each of tea tree oil, lavender oil and frankincense oil in 2 teaspoons of raw honey to make a fine paste.
- Wash your face and dry it with a soft towel.
- Then apply this paste on your face and other left over acne scars affected areas.
- Wait for about an hour and rinse off with water.
- Do it once daily till you get rid of acne scars on your skin.
Note: Or use neroli oil due to its bactericidal and antiseptic properties. Mix 5 – 6 drops of neroli oil in 2 teaspoons of vitamin E oil and use it to massage on your acne and its scars. Use it regularly to get relief from acne and its scars.
Method – 4: (Face Serum)
This face serum will help to replenish the natural oils and prevent this acne formation on the skin.
- Take a large bottle and pour 5 drops each of lemongrass oil and tea tree oil, 10 drops of lavender oil in 2 ounces of jojoba oil.
- Swirl well for 30 seconds to mix these ingredients and apply it on the clean dry face.
- Massage a drop on the forehead, chin, and cheeks to get rid of the problem.
- Regular usage of this face serum will help you in clearing acne and controlling the oily skin.
Note: Or mix 1 drop of tea tree oil, 2 drops of lavender oil and 3 drops of frankincense oil (eliminate acne and its scars) in 1/2 cup of jojoba oil. pour this mix into a glass dropper bottle and shake it well. Apply 2 – 3 drops of this serum on the face and other acne prone areas at night before bedtime.
Method – 5: (Acne Massage Oil)
The oils used in this massage have natural astringent, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help a lot in treating acne and oily skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour 6 drops of cypress essential oil, 2 drops of rosemary oil and 4 teaspoons of lavender oil in 50 ml of light carrier oil (safflower oil).
- Stir well and apply this oil on the problematic acne affected skin areas.
- Massage gently for few minutes and leave it for few minutes.
- Repeat applying this acne massage oil for twice daily until you get relief from this problem.
Method – 6: (Acne Busting Cream)
This cream prepared with simple ingredients that help to treat inflamed and pus filled acne, as it cleanses and moisturizes the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Place 2 tablespoons of shea butter in a container and add 7 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Stir well till it forms into a smooth white cream and refrigerate it for 10 minutes to make it a bit harder.
- Rinse your face with anti-acne face wash or cleanser and pat dry it.
- Then apply this acne cream on your face and massage gently for few minutes.
- Regular follow – up will yield best results of clearing acne.
Note: Or you can include lavender, sweet basil, lemon, roman chamomile and clove oil instead of just using tea tree oil.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure to test these essential oils before application by simply applying it on the inner wrist and monitor it for any redness, irritation or itchiness. If you find everything well, then you can continue using it regularly.
- People with sensitive skin should dilute these essential oils with either water or carrier oil before application to reduce their intensity or burning sensation.
- Avoid exposure of your skin to direct sunlight while using essential oils for treating acne why because the UV rays will make your skin more sensitive and thereby results in skin redness or irritations.
- Over dosage will cause some possible side effects like skin irritation, itching, redness, etc. So, using small amounts will do the trick.
- Prepare lemongrass tea by boiling 1 lemongrass stem in 2 cups of water for 5 minutes and strain it. drink this tea regularly to get relief from the problem.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to protect your skin from both internal and external factors causing acne.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from acne and its symptoms after using these essential oils, for proper diagnose and treatment to get complete relief from this skin problem.
Try these natural essential oil methods to clear your acne. Do you know any other successful essential oils for acne? Then share it with us in the below comments section.