Do you know that electrolytes are basically salts? Our body contains potassium, sodium, bicarbonate, phosphate, magnesium, calcium, sulfate and chloride as major electrolytes. They are essential for regulating the functioning of the nerves and muscles.
In general, the body’s cells use these electrolytes to maintain voltage and carry the electrical impulses across the cell membranes to other cells. Whenever there is a loss of electrolytes in the body then you suffer from diarrhea, heavy sweating, fatigue, certain health problems, and illness.
So, to maintain a proper balance of these electrolytes and thereby for the proper functioning of the body, we need an electrolyte drink. However, there are many commercial drinks in the market, which may contain sweeteners and other preservatives that might harm your health rather than boost it.
Do you know that we can prepare our own electrolyte energy drink at home? Surprising! Isn’t it? Yes, we can prepare this energy drinks at home with simple ingredients.
DIY Homemade Electrolyte Energy Drinks:
Always remember that anything made at home will always make you healthy and refreshed. Here are the ingredients that help you to prepare an energy booster at home.
Drink – 1: (Ginger Electrolyte Drink)
Ginger helps to soothe your stomach and aids in proper digestion along with treating intestinal disorders. It has anti-nausea, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the microbes causing infections and when ginger mixed with sea salt, it acts as a powerful concoction to make you feel rejuvenated.
Salt helps a lot to replenish the sodium levels to reduce you’re sweating and thus helps to maintain the cell voltage in the body. It also helps to balance the stress hormone which in turn helps to reduce adrenaline fatigue.
Honey is a natural sweetener that enriched with enzymes and essential minerals to help the body absorb the richness of salt components. It not only enhances the taste but also helps to heal soothing sore throats, cold and cough.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C, calcium, potassium and citric acid that help to boost the immune system by replenishing the lost electrolytes in the body. It also enhances the energy boosters during a workout and thus speeds up the recovery of your lost electrolytes.
Here is the recipe…
- Pour 1 cup of water in a pan and heat it.
- Then add 3 – 5 ginger slices to it and boil it for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Steep it for a couple of minutes and strain the water.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon of unrefined salt and 1 – 2 tablespoons of raw honey to it.
- Stir all these ingredients well and enjoy this sweet, salt and sour flavored energy drink to balance your electrolytes.
- Repeat the intake of this drink regularly during or after your workout session to make a refreshing start of the day.
Note: Or replace ginger with orange juice. Pour 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice, 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice, 2 – 4 tablespoons of raw honey and 2 cups of water in a jar. Then add 1/4 teaspoon of unrefined salt and stir all these ingredients to enjoy the refreshing energy drink to boost up your energy and mood.
Drink – 2: (Coconut Water with Green Tea)
Plain water alone doesn’t contain any electrolytes and minerals to replace that lost during exercise. So, drinking electrolyte will help to rehydrate and replace the lost minerals.
Coconut water contains potassium and other natural sources of sodium that helps to replace the lost minerals and keep you hydrated in this summer.
Here is the recipe…
- Mix 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of high-quality sea salt and 1 teaspoon of calcium magnesium powder in 1 quart of coconut water.
- Then add 1/4 cup of lemon juice (or use apple, pineapple, grape juice) and 1 – 2 tablespoons of honey (or use stevia) to it.
- Stir all the ingredients well and cool it by refrigerating it, as it lasts for 3 – 4 days.
- Drink it after your workout or whenever you feel fatigue to rejuvenate and energize your body.
- Or you can also use plain water, brewed green or herbal teas instead of coconut water for preparing this energy drinks.
- Also, pour 1 cup of strawberries, 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt, 1 cup of ice, 3 cups of coconut water, 2 tablespoons of natural sweetener and 1 cup of water in a blender. Blend all these ingredients well and enjoy your natural electrolyte drink.
- Or simply pour pieces of 1/2 a cucumber, juice of 2 limes and 1 ½ cups of coconut water in a blender. Blend all these by adding some ice and drink this electrolyte refresher regularly.
- Also, mix 1/4 of a watermelon, a pinch of Himalayan sea salt and 2 large glasses of coconut water in a blender. Blend them and consume this electrolyte booster to get rid of the problem.
Drink – 3: (Cranberry Sports Drink)
Cranberry rejuvenates the depleted electrolytes and also helps to cleanse your kidneys and bladder along with detoxifying the lymphatic system. If it is blended with star anise then it makes the drink palatable for people with low levels of electrolyte.
Here is the recipe…
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, 1 star anise, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (or honey) and 3 cups of unsweetened cranberry juice in 5 cups of water.
- Stir all these ingredients and let it sit for 30 – 45 minutes aside.
- Strain the mix and refrigerate it.
- Drink this electrolyte sports drink to rejuvenate yourself and make you feel refreshed.
Drink – 4: (Chia Seeds)
Chia seeds are loaded with omega – 3, potassium, calcium, fiber, proteins and have antioxidants that help to restore the essential electrolyte and make you stay hydrated and refreshed.
Here is the recipe…
- Warm 1 cup of water and pour in a cup filled with 3 tablespoons of chia seeds.
- Stir well and keep it aside till the seeds starting to swell.
- Then cover it and refrigerate them for overnight.
- Take out in the next day to check whether the seeds are blown up in size and the water becomes a thick gel.
- Now mix this chia seed gel to 1 glass of your favorite juice and drink it by stirring well.
Note: Or simply mix this soaked chia seeds in 1 glass of coconut water to make it as your power booster electrolyte.
Tips and Precautions:
- Prefer to use sea salt or real salt instead of table salt and also pure water for preparing these electrolyte drinks.
- Also, you can replace water with an herbal tea infusion like peppermint or spearmint for proper digestion and also hydrates the body.
- Choose honey instead of sugar as your natural sweetener. Also, prefer mashed mango (mango pulp) or slices of certain natural sweet fruits to get a natural sweetener.
- Or you can simply mix 1/4 cup each of fresh lemon juice and lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt, 2 tablespoon of honey and 1 – 2 cups of water. Stir well and drink this electrolyte energy drinks to stay hydrated along with replacing the lost electrolytes.
- Drink plenty of water along with these electrolyte drinks to stay hydrated and to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Avoid the intake of caffeine and carbonated drinks, as they result in dehydration and makes you feel thirsty.
- Summer is the best season to enjoy these electrolyte drinks (for normal people but not for sports people), as we easily lose these electrolytes due to the high intensity of sun’s harmful UV rays.
Have you made your own electrolyte drink? What’s your favorite drink? Share your experience with us in the below comments box.