Ear infection commonly occurs due to the accumulation of fluids in the middle ear which is caused by cold, allergies, bacteria, flu, wax build-up, environmental allergies and other viral presence in the ear. Pain in the ear, headache, tugging at ear, fever, fluid draining from ear, difficulty in sleep, etc. are some of the common symptoms experienced by the people suffering from ear infection.
However, the untreated ear infections can lead to chronic recurrence and thereby causes deafness. So, it’s important to consult doctor but for getting some relief from pain and acute ear infection, you can try time-honored, simply and effective natural remedies at home.
Garlic is one such natural home remedy that effectively treats ear infection and the following article will tell you how it works and how to use it for curing the infection.
- It has anti-bacterial, anti-oxidizing anti-viral properties that treat the bacterial action on ear causing infection.
- It reduces the swelling, pain and infection caused in the ear with its excellent antibiotic property.
- It contains allicin, an antimicrobial containing sulfur compound that works against the infection and pain in the inner ear.
- It has anti-inflammatory property that works wonders at reducing the pain, swelling and inflammation caused due to infection.
- It has some powerful aromatic compounds that have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can be absorbed easily through the skin and eardrum and thereby into the inner ear surrounding tissues to cure the pain and infection.
- It is rich in vitamin C, manganese, selenium and other essential nutrients that strengthen the immune system to fight against infection causing microbes and to clear the infection completely.
After getting an idea on how it works, let’s know how to use garlic for treating the ear infection. Here we are providing 3 best garlic methods for treating the infection on the ear.
Method – 1: (Garlic cloves)
Garlic alone can be used as an effective remedy for curing the ear infection.
Steps to be followed…
- Take out few garlic cloves from the garlic bulb.
- Crush (or cut it into slices) and wrap it in a small cloth or tissue.
- Place it on the ear and leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the cloth or tissue whenever you got relief from the pain.
- Do the same process regularly to get relief from the pain and thereby infection.
- For more effective results, place the garlic wrapped tissue or cloth on the ear at night before bed time and let it sit for overnight.
- Or else, place a garlic clove on the ear as your ear plugs and cover it with a gauze or band – aid. Be sure that not to insert the garlic clove inside the ear.
- Alternatively, dip a cotton ball in freshly extracted garlic juice and dab it in the infected ear. Let it sit for few minutes and take it out.
Method – 2: (Garlic with Olive Oil)
Olive oil soothes the outer ear and forms a protective layer against bacteria or any other infection causing things inside the ear. This combination helps you to get quick relief from the ear infection and swimmer’s ear.
Steps to be followed…
- Cut few garlic cloves and place it in a bowl.
- Add some St. John’s Wort and mullen flower in the bowl.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil in the bowl and warm it slightly for few minutes.
- Extract this oil mixed and use a dropper to pour few drops of this oil into the infected ear.
- Be sure to tilt your head or sleep by placing the infected ear up to get the oil into the infected area.
- Leave it on for few minutes and repeat the same process regularly to get rid of the problem.
- Or simply infuse few sliced cloves of garlic in warm olive oil for few minutes and pour few drops of this oil into the infected ear and also massage the ear surrounding areas to get rid of pain and swelling. You can also place a warm rice bag on the ear after pouring the oil to get quick relief.
- Also, use mustard or sesame oil instead of olive oil in this process.
- Alternatively, use garlic oil directly which is available in the herbal and health stores for treating the infection. Massage with the oil all around the infected ear for few minutes.
Method – 3: (Garlic Cloves with Salt)
Salt helps to remove the moisture that caused due to bacteria and garlic clears the infection. So, this combination is very effective in getting rid of the infection quickly.
Steps to be followed…
- Boil 5 – 7 cloves of garlic in water for 3 – 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Crush the cloves finely with some salt.
- Place this mix on a cloth and put it on the affected ear.
- Allow it to sit for about few minutes to clear the moisture and bacteria from the ear.
- Take it out and wipe your ear to clean it and to make it free from infection.
- Continue doing the same process regularly until you got complete cure from infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- Include garlic in your daily diet to enhance the immune system that in turn helps to fight against the infection causing bacteria or virus.
- Simply use garlic supplements like garlic pills or garlic oil capsules by opening it and pouring the content into the infected ear and place a cotton ball over it.
- Always prefer to use freshly chopped or crushed garlic cloves, as it has most potent compounds that are essential for treating the infection rather than dried or bottled one.
- Never ever place or pour the liquid into the ear that has broken eardrum, as it worsens the infection rather than curing it.
- Remember to keep your ears clean and dry to avoid any ear infection in future. Children and kids are more prone to this ear infection, so have a regular check-ups and treat the infection quickly.
- Be sure that garlic has natural blood thinning property, so reduce or limit its consumption if you’re taking blood-thinning medications.
- These methods are not meant for one-time usage, you have to follow them regularly until you get complete relief from the infection.
- Check with your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from the infection after using garlic for ear infection to get proper diagnose and treatment as per your health conditions.
That’s all for now, use garlic for treating your infection and feel free to share your experience with us about your ear infection and which garlic remedy works well in curing the infection.