Ah! It’s winter – the snow time to enjoy the weather but the dry and flaky skin is the most common skin problem faced at this time.
This condition occurs when you’re skin is unable to hold proper moisture level (or) your sweat glands unable to produce much moisture. Rough, scaly patches on the skin will lead to scratching and thus result in a permanent scar formation on the skin.
Cold and dry winter air will suck the life out of the silky and smooth skin. Other triggers of dry skin are nutritional deficiencies, aging, genetics, environmental exposures, excessive bathing, exposure to harsh soaps or detergents or household cleaners, etc.
Fine lines, redness, scaling or peeling, rough skin, cracks, skin tightness, flaking, itching, etc. are some symptoms of dry skin.
Constant usage of cosmetic moisturizers, lotions or creams may cause some side effects, if used in the longer run. So, the best way is to choose the natural remedies at home to grab an effective hydrating and nourishing skin.
Home Remedies for Dry Skin:
Here is the list of best natural home remedies that will turn your dry skin into the smooth and hydrated skin. Have a look at these dry skin remedies and try them to combat your skin dryness.
Remedy – 1: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil is enriched with essential nutrients, healthy fatty acids, vitamins (E & K) and antioxidant that moisturize the skin to make it smooth and prevent aging signs and roughness. It acts as a natural humectant that attracts the moisture to prevent skin dryness.
Here are few ways of using olive oil for treating skin dryness.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of raw honey in 4 tablespoons of fine brown sugar. Stir well till it forms a fine scrub paste and use it to scrub your dry skin using circular motions for few minutes. After that, take your bath and apply a light moisturizer.
- Apply olive oil on all over your skin where you suffer from dry skin and massage gently. Leave it on for 30 minutes and take your shower. Dry your skin and apply moisturizer.
- Egg yolk controls the shedding of skin cells to prevent dryness. Mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil in 2 egg yolks and apply it on the skin. Wait for few minutes till it dries and then rinse off with water. Pat dry the skin and apply a natural moisturizer. Repeat it once daily.
Remedy – 2: (Yogurt)
Yogurt has lactic acid that exfoliates the skin and prevents over dryness. It also has antioxidant, skin soothing and skin hydrating properties that help you a lot in preventing skin dryness.
Here are few ways of using yogurt for moisturizing your dry skin.
- Apply fresh yogurt on all over the body and massage gently till the skin absorbs it. Take your shower or bath after 10 – 15 minutes. Yogurt has a mild exfoliating property that removes germs and bacteria causing dryness or itching. Repeat it once daily.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of mashed papaya in 1/2 cup of yogurt. Stir well by adding few drops of honey and lemon juice. Apply it on the skin and wash the area with cold water after 10 minutes. Repeat the same regularly for once a week.
- Mash 1 ripe banana and add it to 1/4 cup of yogurt. Stir well and apply it on the dry and rough patches of the skin. Rinse off with warm water after 30 minutes.
- Also, you can use ripe banana paste directly on the dry skin area to moisture the skin.
Remedy – 3: (Milk and Milk Cream)
Milk contains lactic acid that exfoliates the skin and locks the moisture to make the skin smooth and supple. It balances the pH levels of the skin to relieve you from dryness and itching. It has skin soothing property that clears the discomfort and irritation caused by dry skin.
Here are some methods of using milk for preventing dry skin.
- Mix few drops of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of milk in 2 teaspoons of milk cream. Apply it on your dry hands and legs. Wait for few minutes and take your shower. Repeat it once daily.
- Mix few drops of organic rose water in 4 tablespoons of milk. Stir well and rub it all over the skin. Rinse off with cold water after 10 minutes. Do it twice daily.
- Soak a clean cloth in cold milk and place it on the dry skin for 5 – 7 minutes. Rinse off the milk with another cloth soaked in lukewarm water.
- Pour 1 cup of raw milk in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water and soak yourself in this water for 10 – 15 minutes. Continue this bath regularly to combat dry skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of almond oil in 1 glass of warm milk. Drink it at night before bedtime to moisturize your skin and to enhance sound sleep.
Remedy – 4: (Honey)
Honey is a natural moisturizer that is loaded with antimicrobial, antioxidant and humectant properties which help to lock the moisture in your skin to keep it soft and supple.
When you massage the skin with honey then it increases the blood circulation and provides deep moisturizing action, which helps to get rid of dry skin.
Here are few ways of using honey for dry skin.
- Apply enough pure honey on the dry skin and massage gently for 2 – 3 minutes. Wash the area with warm water (or take shower) and apply moisturizer. Repeat it once daily.
- Mix equal quantities of raw honey, olive oil and beeswax (melted). Apply this mix on all over the body and let it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse off and do it once daily.
- Mash 1/2 a ripe avocado and mix it by adding 1/2 cup of honey. Stir well and apply it on the dry skin and rinse off after 15 – 20 minutes. Also, use this mix as your hydrating face mask for once or twice a week (or simply apply avocado pulp).
Remedy – 5: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil acts as a natural moisturizer that makes your skin soft and supple. It has essential nutrients and fatty acids that lock the skin moisture and prevent dryness.
- Warm some coconut oil and apply it all over the body at night before going to sleep.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse off in the morning.
- Do it daily till you get a smooth, hydrated and nourished skin.
- Or apply coconut oil after taking your bath or shower to hydrated your body and prevent dryness.
- Also, massage your dry skin areas with castor oil or almond oil at night before bedtime and rinse your face in the morning.
Remedy – 6: (Oatmeal)
Oatmeal moisturizes the skin with its high protein content. It locks moisture levels by preventing water loss and soothes the skin with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Add 1 mashed ripe banana in 1 cup of ground oatmeal.
- Mix well by adding some lukewarm milk to make a paste.
- Apply it on the dry face as a face mask.
- Rinse off with cold water after 10 – 15 minutes.
- Apply this face mask regularly for once a week.
Note: Or simply go with the oatmeal bath by pouring 1 cup of plain oatmeal in your bathtub filled with warm water along with few drops of lavender oil. Soak for 15 – 30 minutes and rinse off. Have this soothing bath for once a week regularly.
Remedy – 7: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera exhibits skin soothing and antimicrobial properties that prevent your flaking, dried and irritated skin. It forms a protective layer to keep your skin hydrated and free from any impurities.
- Freshly squeeze aloe vera gel from an aloe leaf.
- Apply this gel on the dry skin areas and massage gently.
- Wait for 10 – 15 minutes and wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Continue doing this process for twice daily to combat your dry skin.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy liquids to keep your body and skin hydrated.
- Include oily fishes which are rich in essential fatty acids to prevent dry skin.
- Run a humidifier to add moisture to the air and thereby prevents dry skin.
- Protect your skin from environmental irritants by applying moisturizing lotions or sunscreen.
- Avoid hot water showers and always prefer lukewarm water or cool water shower to prevent excessive dryness.
- Choose liquid soaps that have fat or oil rather than bar soaps to moisture your skin.
- Consult your doctor once if you’re suffering from the extreme dry skin for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Prefer natural fibers like silk and cotton which help the skin to breathe rather than wool (irritates normal skin). So, choose the fabrics that suit your skin.
- Go for scrubs like lemon – sugar scrub (or) sea salt with vegetable glycerin scrub to exfoliate the dead skin and make your skin smooth. But remember to apply moisturizer after rinsing the skin thoroughly.
Try these natural dry skin remedies. Do you know any other remedies for dry skin? Then share it with us in the below comments box.