Do you feel drowsy during morning hours? You are not alone.
Almost 40% of the people in U.S complain about drowsiness. It is a condition where person feels sleepy and tired throughout the day. In medical terms we can call it as hypersomnia or somnolence.
A study shows that inadequate sleep is one of the major reasons for drowsiness. However, the poor intake of diet, improper lifestyle, heavy consumption of alcohol, boredom, heavy exercises, extra working hours etc. can impact on your regular sleep and leads to drowsiness.
But it can also be observed in the persons who are suffering from hypothyroidism, stress, anxiety, migraine, diabetes, lack of exercise etc.
Drowsiness can be a sign of severe health problem such as sleep apnea, stroke, heart diseases etc. which may initialize with less concentration, lower energy, irritability, etc.
There are various natural methods that help in increasing the stamina and keeping yourself fresh throughout the day. Instead of consuming the pills you can just follow some tips like drinking lemon water in early morning and change the routine, sleeping pattern and food intake that helps in getting rid of drowsiness.
In the below article we have mentioned top 14 tips that are proven to be most effective ways to fight against drowsiness.
Top 14 Tips that Solves the Problem of how to get rid of Drowsiness:
01. Early to bed and early to rise will make man healthy:
Maintain a proper and regular time to sleep and wake up because this could be one of the major reasons for daytime sleepiness. Though there is no perfect time to sleep but it is recommended to sleep for about 7-8 hours in a day.
There are few tips mentioned below to have a sound sleep and avoid drowsiness.
- Maintaining a constant time makes your body to set up to that routine every day. This will avoid the feeling of sleepiness all over the day.
- Try to switch off all the lights and put down the curtains to have undisturbed sleep. You can also use shades to cover the eye and avoid refection of light.
- Usage of good quality pillows and mattresses are also helpful in enjoying a sound sleep throughout the night.
- Doing stretch exercise or reading a book before 20 minutes of sleep can provide relaxation to your mind and body.
- Do not turn on your phones, computers or TV’s immediately after you get up or 20 minutes before your bedtime.
02. Sunlight is best for Everything:
- Sunlight gives you the necessary amount energy required by your body and keeps you energetic throughout the day.
- The vitamin D present in sunlight helps you to prevent the problems like drowsiness and tiredness.
- It is preferred to take sunlight in the early morning around 5:30 during the sun rise and go on walking for about 15 minutes daily to get rid of daytime sleepiness.
03. Lemon Water:
Lemon water removes all the toxins from the body and provides freshness in the mind as well as body. It hydrates the body and supplies sufficient amount of oxygen required by brain. Thus, it makes you feel fresh and avoids daytime sleepiness.
How to use?
- Take a glass of warm water and squeeze juice extracted from 1 lemon.
- You can also add 12 teaspoon of honey and stir well.
- Consume this mixture every day on an empty stomach.
- You can also consume this liquid 2 or 3 times per day.
- Consume fruits like watermelon, yogurt, broccoli, oranges etc. that has higher amount of water content.
04. Face wash using Cold Water:
Whenever you are feeling drowsy during day time, you can just wash your face using cold water. Whenever, the cold water touches your skin the body activates and removes the feeling of drowsiness. Immediately after washing your face stand in front of air conditioner, this helps in getting rid of problem permanently.
It is recommended to take bath using cold water because it will help in improving your energy level and blood circulation. Thus, avoids drowsiness during the morning time and soothes your eyes.
05. Regular Exercise:
Exercise is one of the most effective ways to avoid drowsiness. It is recommended to exercise daily for about 30 minutes, which balances the body protein and avoids sleepiness. It is proved that exercise will help in improving the quality of sleep and makes you healthy.
You can follow any of the below mentioned remedies:
- 30 minutes of walk daily in the morning time is more helpful.
- Aerobic and stretching exercises must be done in the evening time to improve quality of your night sleep.
- Yoga and some breathing exercises are beneficial in improving the blood circulation in the body and provide relief against stress and drowsiness.
- Do not go for over exercise because it may make you feel tired and exhausted.
06. Green Tea:
Green tea is perfect combination of caffeine and theanine, which induces sleep as well as fights against stress and drowsiness. Green tea boosts your stamina and energy to stay fresh every day.
Drinking 2-3 cups of green tea everyday is beneficial for health.
Method of preparation:
- Take a cup of hot water and put 1 teaspoon of green tea powder/ leaves.
- Now, cover it with a lid and steep for 5 minutes.
- Then, strain the tea and consume it by mixing honey to it.
- If you have green tea bags then, all you need to do it take a cup of hot water and steep the tea bags for few minutes.
- Then, consume it by mixing with 1 teaspoon of honey.
07. Healthy Breakfast and Snacks:
Breakfast plays an important role in balancing our complete day routine. If you skip the breakfast, the blood sugar level in the body lowers down and decreases the energy from body. It is preferred to have a breakfast that is low in fat, high in proteins and medium amount of carbohydrates. This helps in keeping yourself active and energetic throughout the day.
Best foods for breakfast:
- Consumption of milk, multigrain bread, fruits and vegetables with rich amount of fibers, eggs, plain yogurt, oatmeal, cottage cheese etc in your breakfast will help in being active and healthy.
- Have moderate lunch and try including nuts, sandwiches, fruits, juices in your mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks.
- Do not sleep immediately after your dinner; it is better to have 3-4 hours of gap between you dinner and night sleep. This helps in proper digestion and promotes sound sleep.
Aromatherapy is best way to avoid drowsiness. The strong and relaxing aroma of the essential oils fights against fatigue, headaches, sleepiness and tiredness.
It is always better to choose some essential oil that is helpful in treating insomnia.
How to use?
- Pour few drops of essential on the napkin and sniff it in between to keep yourself awake.
- You can also add few drops of essential oil in your bathwater and use it. This will keep you fresh throughput the day.
- You can also sprinkle few drops of essential in the living room or office.
09. Listen to Music:
You can choose some light music during the working hours, which improves the concentration. It has positive effect on your mind and changes your mood suddenly. Music has ability to boost your energy level and makes you feel fresh.
A recent study shows that people who listen to music feel more energized than the people who don’t.
10. Quit Alcohol and Smoking:
We all know that smoking and alcohol consumption are injuries to health. But they have bad impact on your sleeping habits. They make you feel drowsy all the day so, it is better to avoid consumption of alcohol during the weekdays. Smoking keeps you awake all the night but you feel sleepy during the morning.
11. Have a look on your Medicines:
Certain medicines are recommended to consume only during night time because the drug present in them are effective in inducing sleep. Specially, the cough syrup makes feel sleepy and fatigue throughout the day. Try to avoid consumption of any pills or syrup during morning time.
12. Take a Quick Nap:
A short nap of 10-20 minutes is not bad. It is very healthy and is necessary to relax between the heavy working hours. Whenever, your mind is completely busy and loaded with heavy work you may feel tired very soon and it would be difficult to accomplish the work. So, it is always better to take a short nap between your working hours if you are feeling drowsy.
After 10- 20 minutes you will feel completely refreshed and it is proved that efficiency of the work after a relaxed nap is always better.
13. Drink Plenty of Water:
Water is elixir of life and is very effective in avoiding day time sleep. It makes you feel fresh and provides soothing effect to your body. So, you can consume more quantity of water in order to stay awake and dispel the feeling of drowsiness.
14. Eat Omega 3:
A recent study shows that more consumption of omega 3 can induce sleep and promote sound full sleep. If you have undisturbed sleep during night time then, you can avoid day time sleep, drowsiness and fatigue.
It also boosts your immune system and keeps you energetic throughout the day by keeping your drowsiness at bay.
- Having a cup of coffee or tea in the morning time can improve your concentration and grasping power.
- Apple works well with all the health problems. Eating apple everyday can help you fight against drowsiness and insomnia.
- If you feel sleepy during work time or study time in the morning then, you can just get up and walk for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Consumption of fluids on regular basis keeps you awake all the day. You can drink water, herbal teas, coconut water, soups, etc.
- Acupressure is also a technique that is followed to avoid sleepiness in the day time. So, you can try with acupressure methods to boost the energy and get rid of drowsiness.
- You can try some body massage to feel relaxed and fight against stress.
- It is always better to consult your doctor if you feel tired or drowsy due to some medications. Sometimes, a head injury or certain health disorders also cause drowsiness. So, it is better to go for check up.
- Try to include cayenne pepper and ginger in your daily diet to prevent drowsiness.
- To avoid sleepiness you can just chew a sugar free gum or listen to music during the working time or reading hours.
- Try to avoid foods that are responsible for drowsiness such as pasta, pastries, rice, alcohol, meat, sugar, potatoes etc.
- Before studying or working do not have heavy meals. This may make you feel sleepy.
- Do not include rice in the morning time or just before your working hours. As it promotes sleep during your work.
Frequently Asked Questions on drowsiness:
1. Is excessive daytime sleeping a disorder?
Excessive daytime sleeping is considered as a condition, where person sleeps for long time when compared with normal healthy person. But this can be a symptom of serious health problems such as sleep apnea, narcolepsy and etc.
2. Can stress and anxiety cause sleep problems?
Yes, stress and anxiety are major cause of health problems. They affect the night time sleep and make you feel drowsy for the whole day. This may lead to one of the serious sleeping disorder termed as insomnia where a person face trouble in falling asleep and staying asleep for long time.
3. Can lack of sleep lead to cancer?
Inadequate amount of sleep spoils your day and increases the risk of various chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, stroke, cancer and heart diseases.
4. How many hours of sleep is called as more sleepiness?
According to doctors, it is said that an adult needs minimum of 6-7 hours of sleep. But if you sleep for 9-10 hours then, it is also considered as healthy. If a person sleeps for 9 hours during the night time and still feels sleepy after getting up then, it is called as sleeping disorder. In short, sleeping for more than 9 hours is called as more sleepiness.
5. Which is the best home remedy to cure sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea can be cured using few of the home remedies such as acupuncture, exercise and playing wind instruments. You can also get rid of sleep apnea by cutting off on alcohol, smoking and avoiding tea or coffee during bed time.
Have you ever experienced this? Which method did you follow? Kindly share your experience in the comment section below.
If you have any queries please write to us in the comment section below. Our team of experts will clarify them as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply