The body releases toxins that comes out of the skin as sweating. So, sweating is not a bad thing but the problem arises when the bacteria break down the sweat into acids and thus causing odor.
We know that our underarm glands are more prone to sweating and so, we are using deodorants or antiperspirants to get rid of underarm odor.
Although, there are many commercial deodorants available in the market, the reasons to avoid these commercial ones is, they contains parabens, propylene glycol, triclosan, aluminum-based compounds and toxic chemical fragrances which cause harm to the skin (like causing breast cancer, dark underarms, Alzheimer’s).
The armpits are a very sensitive area that applying toxins will cause rashes and darkness. So, to keep your armpits fresh and free from toxins, you have to prepare a homemade deodorant and use it.
Natural Homemade Coconut Oil Deodorants:
Here are some homemade deodorants using natural ingredients like coconut oil. Before going to see the DIY coconut oil deodorants, let’s know how coconut oil is good for underarms.
- Coconut oil has lauric fatty acid that exhibits antibacterial and antiseptic properties that fight against the bacteria causing odor and infection in your armpits.
- It has an antioxidant property that detoxifies your pores and prevents body odor.
- It contains vitamin E that helps to nourish and moisturize your skin to prevent the odor. The fragrance of coconut oil will keep your skin refreshed and odor less.
Now, let’s have a look on how to prepare DIY homemade coconut oil based deodorants to get rid of body odor.
Deodorant – 1: (Coconut Oil with Baking Soda, Shea Butter, Beeswax and Cornstarch)
Baking soda absorbs bad odors, neutralizes the pH and fights against the microbes causing odor. Shea butter moisturizes the skin to prevent it from dryness and also relieves you from the bumps caused after shaving your armpits.
Cornstarch observes the excess moisture causing odor, beeswax is used to maintain the deodorant in solid form, essential oils add soothing fragrance to deodorants and coconut oil acts as a base to your natural deodorants.
- Add 3 tablespoons of grated beeswax, 2 tablespoons of shea butter and 1/3 cup of coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Let them melt properly and turn off the heat.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1/3 cup of cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) to this mix.
- Stir well till it forms a smooth paste and add 10 – 15 drops of your favorite essential oils in this mix for aroma.
- Mix well and pour this mix into any deodorant sticks or silicone molds.
- Let it sit aside to cool and settle for few hours and then use them as your deodorants.
- Roll or rub the deodorant directly on the armpits and let it dry for 5 minutes before placing your clothes.
- Use it regularly instead of commercial deodorants to get rid of body odor.
Note: Or prepare a deodorant without using beeswax.
Deodorant – 2: (Coconut Oil with Baking Soda and Arrowroot Powder)
Baking soda and arrowroot powder absorbs the sweat and moisture to reduce the body odor. This natural deodorant will work effectively in clearing body odor.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of arrowroot powder, 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil, 5 – 10 drops of essential oils and 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl.
- Mix all these ingredients till you get a fine paste consistency.
- Transfer this mix into an empty deodorant container and freeze it for few minutes to get a solid form.
- Use it regularly to get rid of body odor or underarm odor.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons of bentonite clay, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 5 – 8 drops of essential oil and 6 tablespoons of arrowroot powder in 5 tablespoons of coconut oil. Stir well and place it in a jar.
- Or mix equal amounts of (1/4 cup) coconut oil, baking soda and arrowroot powder in a bowl. Stir well and place it in a jar to use it regularly.
Deodorant – 3: (Coconut Oil with Almond Oil, Arrowroot Powder and Diatomaceous Earth)
Almond oil and coconut oil have antibacterial and skin soothing properties that reduce bad odor. Arrowroot powder draws out the toxins and makes the deodorant thicker. Diatomaceous earth works well for sensitive skin and works well in removing moisture and toxins from the applied area.
- Pour 30 gms of coconut oil, 20 gms of shea butter, 10 grams each of beeswax and almond oil in a double boiler.
- Melt it on a low temperature and turn off the heat.
- Keep it aside to cool down for few minutes.
- Then add 15 grams each of arrowroot powder and diatomaceous earth, 5 drops of vitamin E oil and 20 – 25 drops of essential oils in it.
- Stir well and pour it into a container and use it regularly to get rid of body and armpit bad odor.
Deodorant – 4: (Coconut Oil with Baking Soda and Essential Oils)
This natural deodorant works well in treating your body odor. Add your favorite essential oils in this mix.
- Take 1/2 cup each of coconut oil and baking soda in a bowl.
- Stir well and add 40 – 60 drops of essential oils in this mix.
- Mix it thoroughly and store it in a deodorant container.
- Dab a little of this mix with fingers and rub it gently onto your underarms.
- Wait for few minutes and wear your clothes.
- Repeat its application regularly to get rid of underarm odor.
Tips and Precautions:
- Shower with an antibacterial soap (like tea tree oil, lemongrass oil) will prevent the bacteria on your skin and thus reduces the odor from your body.
- Always use aluminum free natural deodorants to prevent sweating and thus to inhibit the body’s natural detoxification process.
- Certain foods like onions, garlic, refined sugar, strong spices, dairy products and fried foods will break down into compounds that circulate into your blood stream and comes out as sweat through your pores. So, avoid consuming such foods that increase your body odor.
- Dirty, damp and sweaty clothes are more prone to cause odor. So, thoroughly wash your clothes using antibacterial laundry soap and rinse well to get rid of the body odor.
- Stress, anxiety, and depression will also make you sweat. So, find some ways to beat these things to get relief from excessive sweating and thereby body odor.
- Other than coconut oil, you can also use baking soda and corn starch, potassium alum, lemon juice, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and cornstarch, etc. as your natural deodorants to get rid of underarm odor.
Try these natural DIY coconut oil based deodorants and share your experience with us