The one who is suffering from cracked heels will know how painful it is? Cracked heels or heel fissures can make you unable to neither wear stylish foot wear nor make us walk properly without pain.
The absence of oil glands under the feet area is one of the main reasons for cracks on the heel. Other reasons include some external factors (like standing for too long, improper feet care, dry skin, lack of moisture, accumulation of dead skin, dampness, extreme temperatures, environmental changes, etc.) and internal factors (nutritional deficiencies like lack of omega – 3 fatty acids, calcium, zinc, iron & vitamin E, dehydration, certain health problems, etc.) will make your skin dry, calloused and cracked.
It is accompanied by certain symptoms like itching, peeling skin, redness, swelling, and inflammation on the affected areas. It has to be treated on time or else it results in severe pain, bleeding and infections.
So, take proper care of your feet to get rid of these cracks but prefer to heal the problem with natural remedies rather than using cosmetic creams or lotions.
Before going into the home remedies, we will look at the best feet care routine to get relief of the cracked heels completely. Have a look at this routine and follow it regularly.
Foot Soak – The first and foremost step in this routine is to soak your feet to loosen the dead skin. It removes the impurities, dust and prevents any microbes thriving into the cracks. Soak your feet for 2 – 3 times a week.
Foot Scrub – Scrubbing your feet will exfoliate the dead and flaky skin that accumulated on the skin. It not only removes dead cells but also stimulate the production of new healthy cells. For best results, exfoliate for 2 – 3 times a week.
Foot Mask – Foot mask will help to hydrate and nourish your skin. Apply any natural foot mask for once or twice a week regularly to keep your feet crack – free.
Foot Moisturizers (OR) Cream – We know that skin under feet will get dry easily due to lack of oil secreting glands so, apply moisturizer to prevent it from dryness and thereby cracks. The best time to apply moisturizer or cream daily is after bathing or at night before bedtime to keep your skin soft and supple. Here you can include natural oil massage to moisture your feet.
Now, we will discuss some amazing natural remedies that are widely used in clearing cracks on your heels.
Home Remedies for Cracked Heels:
Here are some best natural remedies explained which you have to follow them regularly for quick and effective relief from cracked heels and to enjoy soft and smooth heels.
Remedy – 1: (Oil Massage)
Massaging your feet with natural oils will help them to hydrate and moisturize the area effectively. Here we can use any natural oils like coconut oil, sesame oil, olive oil, vitamin E oil or vegetable oil for moisturizing your feet.
The healthy fats in these oils moisturize the skin to keep it soft and smooth. The oil penetrates deep into the skin and thereby nourishes the skin.
- Wash your feet and dry them thoroughly.
- Then apply any natural oil liberally on your heels and soles at night before bedtime.
- Massage gently for few minutes till the oil absorbed by the skin.
- Wait for another few minutes and wear a pair of clean socks.
- Leave it for overnight and in the next morning after removing socks, you will notice soft heels.
- Repeat the same process daily for few days until the cracks in the heels are removed completely.
Remedy – 2: (Rice Flour Scrub)
Exfoliate the skin with rice flour to remove the dead skin from your feet and heels. Rice flour will provide all essential minerals required for the skin to make it soft and supple. For best results, add some honey or natural oil to it.
- Mix 2 – 3 tablespoons of rice flour and 1 – 2 teaspoons of raw honey and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a thick paste and keep it aside.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes and apply this rice flour paste on your heels.
- Start scrubbing it gently for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Dry the feet and repeat the same scrubbing process for 2 – 4 times a week.
Note: If you have severe cracks then add 1 teaspoon of sweet almond oil or olive oil to this scrub and apply it on the skin.
Remedy – 3: (Lemon)
The acidic nature of lemons will clear the rough and dry skin and thereby prevents cracks on the soles of your feet. We have to reduce the intensity of this lemon by diluting it in either rose water (or water), honey, aloe vera juice or rose water to soothe the irritated skin areas. Otherwise, it results in irritation and dryness on the skin.
Here are few ways of using lemon for clearing cracked heels.
- Lemon Soak – Pour juice of 1 lemon in foot basin filled with warm water and soak your feet in this water for about 10 – 15 minutes. Then scrub your heels with a pumice stone and wash the feet. Dry it with a towel and repeat it regularly.
- Lemon Scrub – Add 1 tablespoon of raw salt, 8 – 10 drops of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of glycerin and 1 teaspoon of rose water in your foot basin filled with warm water. Soak your feet for 15 – 20 minutes and then start scrubbing your feet using a foot scrubber.
- Lemon Mask – After scrubbing, stir 1 teaspoon each of rose water, fresh lemon juice and glycerin in a bowl. Stir and apply this mix on the cracked heels. Massage gently and wear a pair of socks. Leave it for overnight and rinse with lukewarm water in the next morning.
- Lemon Soak and Mask – Soak the feet in warm water for 15 – 20 minutes and dry it. Stir few drops of fresh lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of Vaseline and apply it over your heals and other cracked parts of the feet. Massage and wear woolen socks and leave for overnight. Rinse in the morning with lukewarm water and repeat it regularly.
Note: You can also apply rosewater and glycerin Foot Mask by stirring equal amounts of glycerin and rosewater in a bowl and use it to massage your heels and feet at night before bedtime. Leave for overnight. Repeat it regularly till you get complete relief from cracks on your heels.
Remedy – 4: (Paraffin Wax as Foot Mask)
Paraffin is a mineral wax that was derived from petroleum that doesn’t have any harsh chemicals. It acts as a natural emollient that helps to heal your cracked heels, which are caused severely with a lot of pain and swelling.
- Place 1 tablespoon of paraffin wax in a small pan and turn on the low flame heat.
- Wait till it melts completely and turns off the heat to add 2 tablespoons of mustard or coconut oil to it.
- Stir and let it cool down completely to reach room temperature.
- After that, massage this wax into heals for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Leave for 30 minutes to overnight and then rinse with warm water.
- Dry your feet and repeat it daily to get complete relief from cracked heels.
- Or simply apply this wax mix as a thin layer on the feet and wait for few minutes to reapply it. Then cover the feet with a plastic and let it sit for 30 minutes. Remove the plastic and peel off the wax from the skin.
- Never ever use this remedy if you’re suffering from poor circulation or diabetes and also when it is hot on the skin.
Remedy – 5: (Indian Lilac Foot Mask)
Indian lilac (or neem) has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and when this neem mixed with turmeric, exhibit anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties to get rid of cracks on your heels.
- Crush a handful of fresh Indian lilac leaves until it forms a paste.
- Then add 3 teaspoons of turmeric powder to this paste and stir well.
- Spread this paste on the cracked heels and leave it for 30 – 40 minutes.
- After that, rinse off with warm water and dry your skin with a soft towel.
- Continue doing the same process once daily to get complete relief from cracked heels.
Note: Or you can also use neem oil instead of using fresh neem leaves.
Remedy – 6: (Salt Scrub)
Salt (sea salt or Epsom salt) exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells and other impurities. For cleaning or relaxing foot scrub, you can mix salt with essential oil. Essential oils clear any bacterial infection and thus relax your skin.
- Mix few drops of essential oil (lavender, tea tree oil, peppermint oil or argon oil) in 1/2 cup of salt.
- Stir well and use it to scrub on the cracked feet gently for few minutes.
- Rinse with water and dry your feet gently with a soft towel.
- Continue this scrubbing process for twice a week on regular basis.
Note: Or prepare foot soak by mixing 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in your foot tub filled with warm water. Soak your feet in this water for 10 minutes and then scrub using a pumice stone. Again soak your feet for 10 minutes and dry it to apply foot cream to lock the moisture. Finally, wear socks for additional benefits.
Remedy – 7: (Vinegar Foot Soak)
The acetic acid and other acids in vinegar help to clear the impurities and prevent microbes getting into the skin. It softens the feet to remove dry and dead skin.
Here are few ways of using vinegar for cracked heels.
- Pour 1/4 cup of white vinegar (or 3 cups of ACV) in a basin filled with warm water. Soak your feet in this water for 10 minutes and start scrubbing it gently. After that, wash the feet and apply coconut oil or shea butter to moisturize the area.
- Listerine loosen the dead skin and heal heel fissures with its thymol and phytochemicals. Stir 1 cup each of white vinegar and Listerine in 2 cups of water. Stir well and soak your feet in this water for 15 – 20 minutes. Wash the feet and dry it. Do this process for 2 – 3 times a week regularly.
Note: In the same way, you can also do baking soda foot soak (3 tablespoons of baking soda in 2/3rd of the basin), hydrogen peroxide soak (2 cups each of peroxide and lukewarm water), honey and milk exfoliating soak (1 cup of honey and 2 cups of milk) or honey soak (1 cup of honey in warm water) to get rid of cracked heels.
Remedy – 8: (Banana)
Banana exhibits moisturizing properties that help to heal the cracks on your heels and makes your feet soft and smooth.
Here are few ways of using a banana for cracked heels.
- Mash 1 ripe banana into a paste and apply it on your clean heels. Massage gently and wait for 10 – 15 minutes to allow the skin absorb its moisture. Then rinse the feet with warm water and soak your feet in cold water for about 5 – 10 minutes. Repeat this process daily to restore soft and smooth feet.
- The combination of avocado and banana mask will work well in clearing heel fissures. Blend 1 ripe banana and 1/2 part of a ripe avocado and use it to massage your cracked heels for 5 – 7 minutes. Wash the area with water after 30 minutes. Do it daily for few days to get relief from cracked heels.
Remedy – 9: (Sugar and Baby Oil Foot Scrub)
We all know that sugar is a best exfoliating agent with its texture and baby oil used in this scrub will help to moisture the area.
- Mix 1 cup of sugar in 1/2 cup of baby oil and stir well to make a scrubbing mix.
- Spread this mix on your cracked feet and scrub it gently for few minutes.
- After 15 minutes of application, you can rinse your feet with water and dry it thoroughly.
- Continue this process for 3 – 4 times a week for severe cracks and for mild cracks, follow this method for once a week regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
- After soaking your feet in the lukewarm water and dry it to apply some natural moisturizers like aloe vera gel, petroleum jelly, shea butter or cocoa butter will heal these cracks quickly.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated with soft and supple skin, as the water will nourish and moisturize each and every part of the skin and thereby prevent dry skin and cracked heels.
- Consume healthy and well balanced diet that includes vitamin A (rejuvenate and maintain healthy skin tissue), vitamin C (maintains skin’s elasticity), vitamin E (protect skin from harmful radicals), omega – 3 fatty acids (improves blood circulation, speed up healing process and raises skin integrity) and zinc (healthy growth of skin tissue and helps in cell division).
- If your cracks have open wounds or bleeding then avoid scrubbing vigorously and apply moisturizer regularly to get rid of the problem.
- Prefer not to wear open shoes or sandals, which allow foot expansion.
- Lessen your feet exposure to water or the sun or standing for long period of time. Also, make sure to moisturize your feet regularly.
- Overweight is another factor causing cracks in your feet. So, maintain a healthy weight to prevent all these health problems.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you’re suffering from psoriasis, diabetes, athlete’s foot, eczema or thyroid problems for proper diagnose and treatment.
Hope you’ll give a trial to these natural remedies for treating your cracked heels. Do you know any other successful remedies for cracked heels? Then share it with us in the below comments box.