We all know that skin is the largest organ of the body that constantly slough off dead cells and generate new living cells. This renewal process will help the skin to look young, smooth and supple.
Along with the age and other factors like environmental pollutants, usage of harsh chemical skin products, stress, improper skin care regimen, etc. will slow the natural cycle of the skin and thereby results in the accumulation of dead cells on the outer layer of the skin.
So, skin with dead cells will appear dull, rough and darker which in turn leads to blemishes (like acne) and fine lines or aging signs. We all think that taking the bath or shower will clear away the outer dead cells on the skin but it is not enough to remove those dead cells.
Thinking about the right way to remove the dead skin cells? In fact, most of us know that exfoliation is the best way to remove dead cells and to keep your skin soft and smooth by moisturizing it.
It penetrates deep into the skin and moisturizes it along with improving the blood circulation. Again thinking of those chemical based cosmetic products (scrubs) to exfoliate the skin. Do you know that there are many natural ingredients available at home, which helps to remove dead cells on the skin and keeps you feel fresh and clear?
Yes, here in this article, we are going to learn about a few best natural ways to get rid of dead skin cells. Let’s get started…
DIY Homemade Natural Exfoliators:
Exfoliation is essential for every skin type and has to be done in many areas of the skin like face, neck, elbows, feet, knees, etc. which are dull and darker. Have a look at these remedies and try them to get rid of dead skin cells.
Remedy – 1: (Oatmeal)
Oatmeal has a grainy texture that makes it work as an excellent exfoliating agent for all skin types. It has saponins that remove the dead cells, controls the sebum production and also clear other impurities on the skin.
It also moisturizes the skin along with improving the blood circulation which helps to keep the skin healthy and smooth for a longer time.
Here are some ways of using oatmeal to get rid of dead cells. Try these oatmeal methods for once or twice a week.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of instant oatmeal and plain yogurt in 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Stir well to make a paste. Spread it on your face and neck and massage gently using circular motions to clear the dead cells. Wait for 10 – 15 minutes and wash it off with cool water. Dry it and apply a light moisturizer.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal, 2 – 3 teaspoons of raw honey and 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice along with a little water in a bowl. Stir well to make a paste and use it to scrub your skin gently for few minutes. Wait for another 10 minutes and rinse off with water.
Remedy – 2: (Coffee)
Coffee grounds not only help to remove the dead cells on the skin but also help for the production of new skin cells. It also repairs the damaged skin and improves the skin texture to make it smooth and shiny with its flavonols.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of olive oil (or almond oil), raw honey and fine sugar in 3 tablespoons of coffee grounds.
- Stir well and use it to scrub all over the face, neck, knees and elbows by using circular motions.
- Leave for 5 – 10 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Dry the skin gently and repeat the same scrubbing process for once a week.
Remedy – 3: (Sugar and Olive Oil)
This is another excellent combination to scrub all types of skin and also for all parts of the skin. The fine particles of the sugar help to remove the dead cells and olive oil acts as a great moisturizer for the skin.
- Mix 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 – 3 teaspoons of raw honey and some fresh lemon juice in 1/2 cup of fine sugar.
- Stir well and apply it all over the skin.
- Massage the skin using circular motions for a couple of minutes.
- Wash the skin with lukewarm water and dry the skin.
- For best results, use this scrub for once or twice a week.
Note: Or simply mix the juice of 1/2 a lemon in 2 tablespoons each of olive oil and brown sugar and use this mix to scrub your feet thoroughly. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
Remedy – 4: (Almonds)
Crushed almonds have a grainy texture that helps to exfoliate the skin. The usage of almonds helps to pamper your skin with its rich content of antioxidant vitamins A & E along with healthy fats that makes your skin healthy and young looking.
- Take 10 almonds and soak them in water (or milk) for overnight.
- Peel off its skin in the morning and grind it to a granular paste.
- Then stir it by adding 2 teaspoons of organic honey and apply it on the face and neck.
- Massage it gently for a couple of minutes and wait for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash the face with lukewarm water and repeat the scrub for 2 – 3 times a week.
Remedy – 5: (Orange Peels)
Most of us are aware of using the orange peels for treating their beauty problems. Oranges exhibit slightly abrasive nature that makes it as a natural exfoliating agent to remove the dead cells and impurities from the skin.
The rich content of vitamin C and rich in antioxidants that help a lot in rejuvenating the skin and make it look vibrant and young.
- Stir equal quantities of orange peel powder and yogurt to make a fine paste and apply it on the face and neck.
- Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes and then scrub the skin using circular motions with your wet fingers.
- Rinse off the skin and continue using this scrub for once a week to eliminate the dead cells.
Remedy – 6: (Gram Flour)
Gram flour exfoliates the skin to eliminate dead cells and excess oil along with treating many skin problems like acne or pimples. Regular usage will help to make the skin feel fresh and glowing.
Here are some ways of using gram flour for clearing dead cells on the skin.
- Add enough of rose water in 2 tablespoons of gram flour till it forms a fine paste. Spread it on all over your skin where you have dry and dull skin. Wait till it dries completely and then scrub it off with your wet fingers. Rinse off with water and dry it.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 2 tablespoons of gram flour and plain yogurt and stir well to make a paste. Apply it on the face and neck and rinse off with water after it gets dried completely.
- Mix enough raw milk or rosewater to 1 teaspoon each of gram flour and rice powder and 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder to make a fine paste. Apply it on the skin and rinse off after 10 minutes to remove dead cells and impurities from the skin.
Remedy – 7: (Avocado Seeds)
We all know that avocado pulp is effective in preparing face masks but do you know that the avocado seed helps you to get rid of dead skin cells?
Yes, it is an excellent ingredient to clear dead cells, excess sebum and other impurities from the skin. It has rich content of antioxidants and vitamin E that helps to repair and nourish the dry and damaged skin.
- Wash and remove the brown skin of few avocado seeds.
- Grind them into a fine powder and then take 1 tablespoon of this powder.
- Now mix 1 teaspoon each of honey and olive oil in it and stir well.
- Use this mix to scrub all over the face, hands, neck and other body parts by using circular motions.
- Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes and take your bath.
- Do this scrubbing process for once a week on regularly basis to get relief from dead skin cells.
Other Effective Remedies:
- The rough texture of green tea leaves helps to exfoliate the skin to clear the dead cells and other impurities. Take out 1 – 2 used green tea bag leaves and mix with 2 – 3 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of baking soda to make a thick paste. Apply it all over the face and scrub it using wet fingers after 10 minutes. Do it once a week to enhance skin complexion.
- Feet are the main part that has dead cells. So, warm water soak and usage of pumice stone will help to scrub the feet and remove dead skin cells along with clearing the cracked feet. Soak your feet in the warm soapy water for 15 – 20 minutes. Then scrub it with a pumice stone for few minutes. Rinse off with clean water and dry it to apply olive or coconut oil. Wear a pair of clean socks and leave for overnight.
- Dry brushing slough off the dead cells and opens up the pores. Stand upright in the bathroom and start dry brushing the feet and move up to cover the legs, thighs, stomach, chest, back arms and shoulders using gentle but brisk motions. After that, take the long warm bath and dry the skin.
- Sea salt helps to exfoliate the areas like hands and feet. So, mix some lavender oil along with sweet almond oil to sea salt. Apply it on the hands and feet and rinse off with water.
Tips and Suggestions:
- For best results always steam your face before exfoliation to open up the pores and to soften the oil, dead cells and other impurities from deep layers of the skin. So, steam for at least 15 – 20 minutes before scrubbing the skin.
- Remove your makeup by rinsing your skin (or face) before applying any scrub to remove dead skin cells.
- Never ever be too harsh on the skin while scrubbing and avoid too much exfoliating or usage of harsh scrubbing which results in redness and irritating skin.
- Make sure to apply a moisturizer after exfoliating the skin why because the scrubbing will strip natural oils from the skin and makes it dry.
- Remember to rinse your eyes immediately with cold water, if any of the scrubs enters into it, as it irritates the eyes and also harms your vision.
Have you tried any of these natural remedies to get rid of dead skin cells? Do you know any other effective remedy to clear dead skin cells? Then share it with us in the below comments box.