Facial mist is one among the skin care regimen, especially in summer. Using a good facial mist will provide a refreshing, soothing and cooling effect on the skin which in turn delivers various skin benefits like it relieves your tiredness, sweat, irritation caused due to sun’s rays or pollution.
It not only soothes your skin but also makes it glow with an even tone. Although the market is filled with a number of commercial mists, the only thing is that they contain synthetic fragrances, alcohol, and other harsh ingredients which might cause irritation, itching, and dryness on the skin.
Hence the best way is to use a homemade natural facial mist/toner on your face. The possibilities of ingredients are endless that range from essential oils to coconut water, fruit or plant extracts, rose water and so on.
Here in this article, we are going to know how to make a simple, cooling and refreshing mist with an amazing ingredient called Cucumber. Let’s have a look on some of the cooling facial mist/toners using cucumber.
Before starting the preparation, let’s know some cucumber benefits on the skin.
- Cucumber soothes the sunburned skin and hydrates your skin to prevent dryness by regulating the sebum production.
- It builds collagen levels which in turn prevents the signs of aging like sagging, wrinkles and fine lines.
- It is enriched with vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin K, pantothenic acid, silica and vitamin A (retinol) that controls melanin and enhance your natural beauty.
- It soothes the skin which in turn helps to reduce the redness, swelling, irritation, breakouts, and pain on the skin.
- It restores your moisture and softens your skin by providing a cooling and refreshing effect, as it acts as an exceptional skin-calmer.
- It has antioxidant properties that prevent the attack of free radicals on the skin.
Let’s get started the DIY ways of preparing cucumber cooling facial mists.
Mist – 1: (Cucumber with Lemon, Aloe Vera and Rosewater)
Lemon has a natural exfoliating property that clears excess oil and rejuvenates your skin to make it soft, fresh and smooth. Aloe vera improves blood circulation, soothes your skin and enhances its elasticity.
Rose water has an astringent property that removes excess oil and balances your skin’s pH levels. This mist will hydrate and rejuvenate your skin to make it smooth, soft and glowing.
- Peel and slice a cucumber and pour it in a blender.
- Blend it for a couple of minutes and pour its pulp into cheesecloth or a strainer.
- Squeeze it to extract its juice into a bowl and then add fresh lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon, 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and 1 tablespoon of rosewater in it.
- Stir well and pour this mix into a plastic spray bottle.
- Store it in the refrigerator for a week and spray this homemade mist on your face to get a cool soothing and refreshing feel.
- Continue the use of this mist for up to 3 times a day on regular basis.
- Use fresh cucumber juice rather than extracting from cucumber pulp (or) add few drops of your favorite essential to this cucumber mist.
- Don’t throw the cucumber pulp, as you can apply it as a face mask to your face.
- Or mix freshly extracted cucumber juice and rose water in equal quantities and pour it in a spray bottle. Use it regularly for 2 – 3 times on your face.
Mist – 2: (Cucumber)
Cucumber alone will be used to prepare a soothing and refreshing toner.
- Cut 2/3 part of a cucumber and peel it off.
- Cut it into small pieces and blend it thoroughly for a couple of minutes.
- Pour these cucumber pieces in a pan and add water till the pieces are well immersed.
- Cook it on a low flame for 5 – 7 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let the water cool down and blend the mix thoroughly.
- Strain the juice and pour it in a spray bottle.
- Spray this cool mist on your face after your face wash on regular basis.
Note: Or pour this chilled liquid on a cotton pad and place it on your strained eyes to get rid of tiredness, puffy eyes or dark circles.
Mist – 3: (Cucumber with Aloe Vera)
Cucumber has a cooling and refreshing effect and aloe vera soothes your skin to get rid of skin infections or sunburn.
- Peel a small cucumber and blend it to extract its juice.
- Pour it in a spray bottle and mix 1 teaspoon of aloe vera and enough of water to fill the spray bottle.
- Shake it well and spray it on your face to get refresh and smooth.
Note: Or juice a small cucumber and add 1 teaspoon each of aloe vera juice and witch hazel (fights inflammation) and 1/3 cup of distilled water to it. Stir well and pour it into a spray bottle. Shake well and mist on all over your face.
Mist – 4: (Cucumber with Rosewater and Glycerin)
Cucumber provides a cooling effect along with soothing and softening the skin. Rosewater reduces the redness, swelling and irritation on the skin and also acts as an astringent. Glycerin moisturizes the skin to leave it soft and supple.
- Mix 3 tablespoons each of fresh cucumber juice and rose water and 1 tablespoon of glycerin in a bowl.
- Stir well and pour this into an empty spray bottle.
- Shake it well and spray it on your face and remove the excess using a cotton pad.
Mist – 5: (Cucumber with Lemon Peel)
This mist is effective to the dry skin, as cucumber soothes and softens your skin and lemon acts as a natural exfoliator that removes oil and dirt clogged in your skin pores.
- Pour 1 cup of hot water in a jar and add 1/2 a chopped cucumber and 2 lemon peels.
- Place its lid and leave it for overnight.
- Strain the liquid in the morning into an empty spray bottle.
- Shake well and spray it on your face regularly.
Note: Or cut 1/2 a cucumber into slices and 2 lemon peels and place it in a bowl. Pour hot water and leave for overnight. Strain it and add liquid from 2 vitamin E capsules into it. Pour it in a spray bottle.
Mist – 6: (Cucumber with Witch Hazel and Match Green Tea)
Cucumber helps to tighten the skin, fade dark spots and scars and provides a refreshing effect on the skin.
- Peel and slice a cucumber and blend it well.
- Then add 1/8 teaspoon of matcha green tea powder in it and blend well.
- Strain the liquid and pour it in 1/3rd of the spray bottle and add 1 tablespoon of witch hazel and vegetable glycerin.
- Then fill the bottle with some sparkling mineral water and shake it well.
- Spray it on all over your face after rinsing the face as a toner to get rid of the skin problems.
Mist – 7: (Cucumber with Mint Leaves and Lemon)
Cucumber has the same pH as our skin that helps to calm and tighten your skin. Mint has vitamin A that strengthens up your skin tissue and also controls the oil production. Lemon has vitamin C and acts as an astringent that reduces excess oil and signs of aging.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of fresh mint leaves, juice of 1/2 a cucumber and 1/4 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and pour this into a spray bottle.
- Spray it on your face or simply apply it all over the face using a cotton pad as a toner.
- For best results, use this at night before bedtime.
- Or use mint tea instead of mint leaves juice or extract.
- Or mix some carrot juice, mint juice, lemon juice in the juice extracted from 1/2 a cucumber. Stir and pour into a spray bottle. This mist is good for treating oily skin.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water and consume healthy well – balanced diet to get rid of toxins from the skin and thereby to keep it smooth, hydrated and infection free.
- Never ever use a metal bottle for storage purpose of this mist why because the metal might react with any of the ingredients used for preparing mist. So, use a high-quality plastic bottle or glass bottle for storing.
- Always remember to shake the spray bottle before each usage to mix all the ingredients.
- Also, pour this mist into an ice cube tray and freeze it to make it as ice cubes. Use these ice cubes on your face to grab the same benefits.
- Other than these cooling mists, you have to exfoliate your skin regularly to remove dust and dead cells and also remove your makeup before going to bed.
Try these homemade mist and share your experience with us in the below comments box.