A Cough is a common reflex action done to clear the mucus, foreign irritants or any blockage in the throat or upper air passages. Viral or bacterial infections in the respiratory tract, dust pollen or environmental irritants, smoking, certain health problems, etc. are some triggers of a cough.
We simply opt for over the counter cough syrups to get rid of a cough but do you know that some natural ingredients will give the same effectiveness as a placebo in treating coughs? Surprising isn’t it.
Now, here we are going to know how to prepare homemade cough syrups for treating cough with 2 best ingredients. These syrups will not only heals naturally but also taste better than OTC cough syrups.
Ginger Based Cough Syrups:
Ginger treats cough by acting as an expectorant that loosens and expels the mucus. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties that fight off the infection in the respiratory system. It acts as antihistamine agent that treats allergies. It also relieves the pain in your throat and chest caused by coughing.
Syrup – 1: (with Peppermint and Honey)
Peppermint acts as a decongestant that thins the mucus, breaks up the phlegm and relieves irritation.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried peppermint, 3 tablespoons of chopped ginger and 4 cups of water in a pan.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer till the liquid has reduced to half of its quantity.
- Strain the mix and wait till it cool down
- Then add 1 cup of honey and stir well till it dissolves completely.
- Store it in a bottle in the refrigerator and consume 1 tablespoon every few hours till you get relief from your cough.
Syrup – 2: (with Pepper and Thyme)
Pepper stimulates the circulation and clears mucous. Thyme has antimicrobial properties that relax your bronchi muscles and open up the airways.
- Mix 1 ½ teaspoons each of powdered thyme, pepper and ginger, 3 tablespoons of warm water and 8 tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Stir well till you get even and consistent texture and store this in a clean well-sealed container.
- Take 3 – 4 teaspoons of this cough syrup daily till you get rid of an irritating cough.
Syrup – 3: (with Cayenne Pepper, Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar)
Honey soothes the irritated throat; apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve you from coughing. Cayenne pepper loosens the mucus and clears your throat.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and ground ginger, 1 tablespoon each of raw honey and organic cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl.
- Stir well and take 1 – 2 teaspoons of this cough syrup as often as needed to get relief from your cough.
Syrup – 4: (with Marshmallow Root, Cinnamon and Chamomile)
Chamomile soothes and relaxes your muscles that relieve tickle in the throat. Marshmallow root has highest mucilaginous content that soothes the throat. Cinnamon boosts immunity and cures your cough.
- Pour 1 quart of water in a medium saucepan and add 1/4 cup each of ginger root, marshmallow root and chamomile flowers and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in it.
- Stir well and bring it to a boil and then simmer it till the volume reduced to half of its quantity.
- Strain it to remove herbs and add 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 3/4 cup of honey in it.
- Stir well and refrigerate it in an airtight container.
- For dosage, take 1 tablespoon for adults and 1 teaspoon for children (above 5 years) to get rid of a cough.
Lemon – Honey Based Syrups:
This combination is an age-old remedy that widely used to cure a cough. Lemon is rich in vitamin C that suppresses your cough and boosts immunity to clear the infection. Honey is a rich demulcent that has high viscosity and stickiness that coats and soothes the irritated mucous membranes.
Both of these ingredients are enriched with vital nutrients, antioxidants and antimicrobial properties that repair and stimulate the growth of tissue to treat your cough and sore throat. Here are some DIY homemade natural cough syrup recipes.
Syrup – 1: (with Ginger)
Ginger has oleoresin component that exhibits antitussive abilities to treat coughing. This is an excellent combination for treating your cough.
- Peel and slice a piece of ginger root and zest 2 fresh lemons.
- Pour 1 cup of water in a saucepan and add 1/4 cup of ginger slices and 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons of lemon zest in it.
- Place on a stove (or heat) and bring it to a boil and then simmer for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and strain the solution and keep it aside.
- Pour 1 cup of raw honey in a saucepan and heat over a low flame but be sure that not to boil it.
- Then mix the strained lemon – ginger solution in it and add the extracted juice of both the lemons.
- Keep stirring the mixture over low heat for few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Pour this mix into an airtight container and use it as your cough syrup.
- The recommended dosage, for children (1 – 5 years) – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon every 2 hours, for children (5 – 12 years) – 1 to 2 teaspoons every 2 hours and for people (above 12 years) – 1 to 2 tablespoons every 4 hours.
Note: Or place 1 tablespoon of grated ginger and juice of 1/2 a lemon into a saucepan filled with 2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil and turn off the heat and cool it for 20 minutes. Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of honey in it and drink it as your cough syrup.
Syrup – 2: (with Glycerin)
Glycerin has demulcent and moisturizing properties that cure your cough and soothes your sore throat.
- Pour 1/4 cup each of food grade glycerin, raw honey and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir all these ingredients and transfer the mix into a jar and label it as your cough syrup.
- Take 1 teaspoon of this syrup for every few hours till you get complete relief from coughing.
Syrup – 3: (with Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties that boost up the immune system and prevent the infection.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 1/4 cup of raw honey in a small saucepan.
- Heat it till all the ingredients are well mixed and turn off the heat.
- Take 1 spoonful of this warm syrup (or) mix it in your hot water or tea.
- Store the remaining in the refrigerator for a month and make sure to warm the syrup before using.
Note: Or use olive oil instead of coconut oil.
Syrup – 4: (with Pineapple and Cayenne Pepper)
Pineapple is rich in vitamin C and bromelain (enzyme) along with other vital nutrients that boost up your immunity and clears coughing by soothing your throat. Capsaicin in cayenne pepper warmth your body and enhance proper blood circulation to relieve your cough and pain.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey, a pinch of sea salt and cayenne pepper and 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice in 1 cup of pineapple juice.
- Stir well and store it in a glass bottle.
- Take 1 – 3 tablespoons of this cough syrup daily, as needed to soothe your cold, cough and sore throat.
Tips and Precautions:
- Remember that all these cough syrups are not recommended for kids less than 2 years age why because honey may cause infant botulism (a type of food poisoning).
- Use buckwheat honey (if available) instead of raw honey while preparing these cough syrups.
- Make sure to refrigerate these homemade cough syrups to store them for few months.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from other symptoms like fever, cold or upper respiratory problems for proper diagnose and treatment.
Have you ever made homemade cough syrups? What natural remedies do you use to ease your cough? Share them with us in the below comments box.