Cold sores or fever blisters are a contagious skin problem that is caused due to herpes simplex virus (HSV – 1). These fluid-filled red blisters appear all around the lips, mouth, nose and chin and spreads through direct contact such as kissing (or saliva) and oral from an infected individual to other persons.
Sometimes, these painful blisters group in patches and stress, hormonal changes, fever, weak immune system, trauma to the skin, exposure to sunlight, etc. can trigger the herpes outbreak. However there is no complete cure for this virus but the usage of natural home treatments can help to reduce the pain and dry the cold sore to speed up the healing process.
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is one such a natural and excellent ingredient that widely used to improve the symptoms associated with cold sores or herpes virus.
Here we are providing you with a detailed explanation of its properties to know how it reduces the outbreaks and its severity in a short span of time.
- It has antibacterial, antiseptic and antiviral property that fight against the virus and other germs causing infection.
- It disinfects the area, speeds up the healing process and makes the blisters hard to spread or worsen. Also, it keeps the infected areas clean and thus helps a lot in eliminating the infraction faster.
- It effectively reduces the inflammation and dries out the infected area to heal sores.
Although its application is unpleasant but will help you to get rid of cold sores along with its symptoms. Here is an amazing hydrogen peroxide method that quickly diminishes the cold sores from the skin.
Method: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
- Pour 1 tablespoon of 3% pure hydrogen peroxide in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball or cotton swab or facial tissue in this mix and hold it directly over the sores affected skin areas.
- Let it stay for about 5 – 8 minutes and rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat it 3 – 4 times daily until you cleared the sores on the skin.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, then dilute hydrogen peroxide with some water and then apply it on the sores.
- If you have cold sores around the mouth, then mix equal quantities of hydrogen peroxide and water. Use this solution to swish around the mouth and spit out the liquid completely. Rinse it thoroughly with water to prevent sores without any side effects.
Tips and Precautions:
- Never ever take hydrogen peroxide internally, as its consumption may lead to severe health problems such as dizziness, vomiting, nausea and in some cases, even leads to death. Always remember that H2O2 is for external use only.
- Peroxide application might cause bubbling along with some pain or tingling sensation. So, it should not be applied or swished so vigorously, as it dislodges a scab.
- Avoid applying hydrogen peroxide on those areas that not already erupted in sores why because it dries out those areas and causes the skin to be irritated and more susceptible to cold sores eruptions.
- Make sure to consult your doctor, if you didn’t find any relief from these cold sores after using hydrogen peroxide within a week for immediate diagnosis and treatment.
- Consume healthy diet to enhance the immune system, as weak immunity is one main cause for its recurrence.
Why waiting, try this excellent home remedy for getting rid of cold sores. Also, feel free to share your experience with us after using this method on cold sores.