Cold feet are a common problem seen in people with poor blood circulation and oxygen supply.
Though there are many natural remedies to improve your blood circulation and clear your cold feet problem.
This cold feet problem is also an underlying cause for other health problems like restless leg syndrome, peripheral vascular disease, anemia, Reynaud’s syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, hypothermia, hypothyroidism, etc.
Hormonal imbalance, stress, nutritional deficiencies, smoking and drinking alcohol are some factors contributing to cold feet. Although the causes of cold feet might differ from person to person, its best to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment before using the natural home remedies.
Home Remedies for Cold Feet:
The below mentioned are the best natural remedies which you can try at home for getting rid of the cold feet.
Remedy – 1: (Hydrotherapy)
Hydrotherapy consists of both hot and cold water soaks that help to improve blood circulation, restore the warmness of your feet.
- Take 2 separate foot basins or tubs and fill one with warm water and the other with cold water.
- Sit in a comfortable position and soak your cold feet in cold water for 2 minutes.
- Then switch your feet to warm water for a minute or two.
- Do continue these alternate feet soaks for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Dry your feet immediately and put on warm socks.
- Regular follow-up of this process for few times daily will help you to get rid of cold feet.
Note: For quick results, pour few drops of ginger, peppermint, rosemary or cypress essential oil in that water.
Remedy – 2: (Warm Oil Massage)
Massaging the feet is a therapeutic way to prevent cold feet and to restore the warmth. It effectively stimulates the blood flow into your extremities. So, regularly have some foot massage to keep it healthy and free from the foot problem.
- Warm up some natural oils (olive or coconut or sesame oil) in a microwave.
- Apply this oil on your cold foot using gentle pressure with your fingers.
- Massage the foot from toe to ankle for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Continue doing the same process with other foot as well.
- After the thorough massage, wear cotton socks at night before bedtime.
- Sleep with that sock and in the next morning, we’ll find normal feet.
- Repeat it regularly until you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Foot Exercises)
Feet exercise is an essential task for maintain proper blood flow in the feet and to keep the feet warm. These exercises not only strengthen the blood vessels but also make it strong and healthy. A simple one is alternate walking (on your toes and then on your heels) for about 10 – 15 minutes will clear cold feet.
Few Effective exercises are listed below which you have to perform to restore the warmth when you’re feet is cold.
- Stand straight on the tips of your toes for a minute and then slowly get down on your heels. Repeat it for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Sit comfortably and rotate each foot clockwise and anti-clockwise at the ankle joint for about 10 – 20 times.
- Pick a piece of cloth or other objects from the floor using your toes. Repeat the same for several times.
Remedy – 4: (Ginger)
Ginger has compounds like gingerols and zingerone that cause warming effect on your body and promotes blood circulation which in turn reduces cold feet or hands.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of sliced ginger in 2 cups of water.
- Simmer it for 10 minutes and strain it.
- Add a little of raw honey and stir well.
- Drink it for 2 – 3 times daily till you get complete relief from cold feet or hands.
- Or pour a handful of ginger slices in a pot of water and boil it for few minutes. Let it cool and soak your feet in this water for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Also, take ginger supplements by consulting your doctor.
Remedy – 5: (Epsom Salt)
Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) soak will provide essential magnesium to the body, as magnesium deficiency will also cause cold feet and hands.
- Pour enough warm water into a small tub and mix Epsom salt in it.
- Soak your feet (or hands) in this warm water for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Continue doing the process for twice a week (or) whenever you’re suffering from cold feet or hands.
Remedy – 6: (Green Tea)
Green tea is a natural cure for many health and beauty problems including cold feet. It improves the functioning of the blood vessels throughout the body and relieves you from cold feet.
- Steep 3 – 4 green tea bags in a pot of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Then remove the tea bags and soak your feet in this water for few minutes.
Note: Or drink 2 – 3 cups of green tea throughout the day to warm up your body and improves blood circulation.
Remedy – 7: (Cayenne Pepper)
Capsaicin in cayenne pepper helps to improve blood circulation throughout the body, including the feet. It not only balances your body temperature but also give relief from certain symptoms like pain, swelling and tingling sensation in the legs.
- Apply 1 – 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper evenly in a pair of thick socks.
- Put on a thin pair of socks and place the thick socks (sprinkled with cayenne pepper) over them.
- Leave it for few minutes and repeat it regularly.
- Or massage the soles of the feet with any capsaicin-containing over the counter cream (or) consult your doctor to take capsaicin supplements to get rid of this problem.
- Also use black pepper instead of cayenne pepper to get rid of the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure to consult your doctor if your cold feet are accompanied by certain symptoms like numbness or tingling sensation, changes in your skin color, open sores or blisters, tightened skin, etc.
- Walk on grass with barefoot early in the morning for 30 minutes will help you to boost the circulation in your feet and aids for overall health.
- Iron deficiency (or anemia) often causing cold hands and feet, as blood with low hemoglobin level unable to deliver a proper oxygen supply to all body parts. So, consume iron rich foods like dates, almonds, oysters, apples, red meat, spinach, olives, tofu, watercress, etc.
- Consult your doctor to know proper dosage of iron, magnesium and other supplements to get relief from cold hands and feet.
- Consume magnesium rich foods like spinach, mustard greens, broccoli, avocados, baked potatoes, pumpkin and sesame seeds, almonds, cucumbers, whole grains, etc. to increase circulation and absorption of vitamin D to get rid of cold feet.
- Don’t let your feet dangle without support for a longer time like sitting on a chair. So, place a stool under your feet to rest them on.
- Engage yourself in some aerobic activities like running, swimming, hiking, cycling, etc. will promote proper circulation and thus prevent cold feet and hands.
- Always wear warm socks to keep your feet warm and comfortable at any season whenever you’re suffering from coldness and numbness.
- Quit smoking and limit your alcohol and caffeine intake, as it leads to poor blood circulation.
- Eat omega – 3 fatty acids rich foods like walnuts, salmon, flaxseeds, etc. which helps to prevent blocked arteries and poor circulation of the blood and oxygen.
- Go for alternative therapies such as acupuncture, acupressure, and yoga to get rid of cold feet.
- Maintain proper weight and cut down your excess calories to prevent cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure which in turn clear cold feet and hands.
- Applying essential oils like lavender oil or red pepper oil and cinnamon oil helps to ease the discomfort of your cold feet.
- Consume berries like hawthorn berry, blueberries, huckleberry or bilberry will help for proper circulation.
- Avoid wearing tight fitting shoes or wristbands and also it’s best that not to touch the cold objects directly (use tongs or wear gloves).
- Prepare tea by mixing 1 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and clove powder in 3 cups of hot water. Drink it whenever you suffer from cold feet and hands.
Try these remedies and tips to get relief from cold hands and feet. Let me know which method works well in treating your cold feet and hands by sharing your experience with us.