Moisturizers will play a key role in making the skin smooth, young and supple by hydrating and soothing it. Many cosmetic moisturizers contain chemicals that moisturize your skin but in a longer run, causes some side effects like over drying than before.
Why don’t we make a natural skin care moisturizer at home with simple ingredients rather than buying those expensive, chemical filled moisturizers? Yes, we can prepare the DIY natural moisturizer at home with a simple ingredient called virgin coconut oil, which has many essential properties used for skin care.
How Coconut Oil Moisturizes your Skin?
- Coconut oil is natural oil that has an excellent moisturizing property which is used to nourish and moisturize the dry and dull skin.
- It penetrates deeply and gets quickly absorbed into the skin (not greasy) to makes your skin soft and supple.
- It has an antioxidant property that fights against the attack of free radicals which even damage your dry skin and also vitamin E in coconut oil helps to slows down the aging process.
- It has antimicrobial properties that prevent the microbial infections on the skin.
- It has anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties which give relief from the discomfort caused with dry skin.
- It has essential fatty acids and other nutrients that protect your skin from harmful environmental irritants.
- Regular application of coconut oil will not only moisturize your skin but also reduces the flare-ups of eczema and psoriasis. It prevents dark spots, scars and other blemishes on the skin to give a natural glow.
DIY Coconut Oil Skin Moisturizer:
The below mentioned are some natural DIY coconut oil moisturizers that explained in detail. So, prepare them at your home and try it to get long lasting results, especially on dry skin.
Moisturizer – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil acts as a natural moisturizer that prevents dryness and it is suitable for all skin types.
- Apply enough virgin coconut oil (melted) on your skin after taking your bath.
- Massage gently for few minutes and leave it on for another few minutes.
- Then wipe off the excess oil from your skin and wear your clothes and makeup.
- Repeat it regularly to enjoy your moisturized skin.
Moisturizer – 2: (Coconut Oil with Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has essential nutrients, antioxidant and skin soothing properties that rejuvenate the skin and encourages the generation of new skin cells. It relieves you from the sunburned skin and fades away skin spots.
- Extract fresh aloe vera gel from a small leaf and blend it.
- In that, add 1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil and whisk it using a hand or electric whisker till you get a fluffy consistency.
- Mix few drops of lavender and peppermint essential oils in it.
- Transfer the mix into a glass container and refrigerate for few hours.
- Apply it on your skin after your bath to lock the skin’s moisture.
- Refrigerate the coconut oil – aloe vera lotion after every usage.
- Continue applying this lotion regularly to get rid of a dry and damaged skin.
Note: Or mix 4 teaspoons of aloe vera gel, 2 teaspoons of melted coconut oil and 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin E oil in a blender. Blend it for a couple of minutes and add few drops of peppermint oil. Stir well and refrigerate it. Apply it on the skin to prevent dry skin and lips.
Moisturizer – 3: (Coconut Oil with Olive Oil and Beeswax Pellets)
This is an effective moisturizer that creates a barrier on the skin’s surface to prevent dryness and thus holds the existing hydration within the body.
- Mix 1/2 cup each of organic coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil (or almond oil) and 1/4 cup of beeswax pellets in a heatproof jar.
- Place this jar in a saucepan which is filled with water (covers 3/4 of the jar) on the stove over low heat.
- Stir till the ingredients in the jar are melted and mixed well.
- Then discard the hot water from the saucepan and replace it with cold water up to the same level.
- Now add few drops of essential oil into this jar and stir it using a whisk till the texture becomes thick and creamy.
- Apply this moisturizer on your dry skin and refrigerate it.
- Repeat regularly to get rid of a dry and damaged skin.
Moisturizer – 4: (Coconut Oil with Shea Butter and Essential Oils)
Shea butter and coconut oil have excellent moisturizing properties that hydrate your skin and prevent dryness. Essential oils will nourish your skin and increases the shelf life of your natural homemade moisturizer.
- Melt 1/2 cup of shea butter in a pan over low heat and add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in it.
- Stir well and turn off the heat.
- Pour this mix into a bowl and place it in a freezer till it turns into solid form.
- Then add 10 drops of lavender oil, 5 drops of rosemary oil, 3 drops each of carrot seed and tea tree essential oil in it.
- Whip the mix till you get buttery cream consistency and store it in a clean jar at room temperature.
- Apply to your face and body to moisturize the skin properly.
- Continue the application of this moisturizer till you get relief from the dry and damaged skin.
Moisturizer – 5: (Coconut Oil with Nourishing Oil and Essential Oils)
Coconut oil is a base oil that heals, hydrates and moisturizes your skin very effectively. Nourishing oils (like rosehip seed oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil, neem oil, emu oil, tamanu oil, carrot seed oil, etc.) will protect and nourish your skin. An essential oil has a healing, astringent, soothing and brightening effect on the skin.
- Take a small bottle and fill 2/3 of the bottle with coconut oil.
- Then pour few drops of nourishing oil and 4 – 7 drops of essential oil in it.
- Shake it well by fixing its cap to mix all these oils.
- Store it at room temperature and apply it on all over your skin.
- Repeat it regularly for best results.
Moisturizer – 6: (Coconut Oil with Vitamin E Oil and Lavender Oil)
Coconut oil works well for moisturizing both oily and dry skin without the feel of greasy on the skin. The essential oil and vitamin E oil have an excellent healing and refreshing property on the skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and 6 drops of lavender oil (or tea tree oil) in 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
- Stir well and apply it all over your skin.
- Repeat as needed to get rid of your dry, dull and damaged skin problems.
Tips and Precautions:
- Add a little of olive oil in your coconut oil lotion before applying for getting best results.
- Cleanse your skin (or face) thoroughly and pat dry it before applying any moisturizer or facial oil. So, the best time for the application of moisturizer is after taking your bath. Also, apply this moisturizer at night before bedtime and rinse your face in the next morning with lukewarm water.
- Massage your skin after applying moisturizer for proper absorption into the skin and lasts longer.
- Other than coconut oil, you can also go for any of these applications like dry skin brushing, butters (cocoa butter, avocado butter or shea butter), natural oils (olive oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel oil or sesame oil) and waxes (beeswax) or a combination of these things on your skin.
- For facial moisturizer, mix 2 teaspoons of almond oil, 1 tablespoon of cocoa butter and 5 drops of lavender oil and frankincense oil in 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Stir till you get a creamy texture and apply it on your face after washing to moisturize it.
- Coconut oil is anti-allergic (suitable for any skin type) but it’s better to perform a patch test on your skin if you’re a first time user of coconut oil before preparing these moisturizers.
Have you ever made your own moisturizer? Try these DIY Coconut Oil Moisturizers at home and share your experience with us in the below comments box.