Dry and cracked skin is the most common complaint faced by most of us in the dry and cool winter times. This is because our sweat glands are unable to produce enough oil (or moisture) to protect the skin from the cool and harsh weather.
Continuous usage of cosmetic moisturizers or lotions on the skin will make it too dry in the longer run. So, usage of natural lotions at home will keep your skin hydrated and nourished.
In this article, you are going to discover an amazing coconut oil lotion bars that help you to fight against the dry and chapped skin during this winter.
Why Coconut Oil?
We all know that coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer that nourishes your skin and it is suitable for all skin types. It is absorbed by the skin easily and penetrates into the skin pores to moisturize deeply and thoroughly.
It soothes your skin with its anti-inflammatory property and protects the skin from harmful bacteria or fungus that causes skin problems like eczema, psoriasis, allergies, dermatitis, etc. with its lauric acid. It protects your skin from harmful radiation of the sun.
It stimulates the collagen production and thereby prevents the formation of wrinkles and aging signs (which are most common for dry skin). So, coconut oil will moisturize your dry skin, relieves the cracks and make it look smooth and glowing.
How to Make Coconut Oil Lotion Bars?
The lotion bar is great for everyone, including your babies or toddlers or age old people to get rid of dry, flaky and cracked skin. Here are some ways of preparing moisturizing lotion bars using coconut oil for treating your dry and chapped skin.
Let’s get started…
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil with Beeswax and Essential Oils)
This is a basic recipe of preparing coconut oil lotion bars. Here is the recipe to prepare it.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour equal quantities (1 cup) of coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler or saucepan.
- Place the pan over low heat to melt coconut oil and beeswax thoroughly.
- Turn off the heat and add few drops of essential oils of your preference (I prefer lavender oil and vanilla oil).
- Then pour this melted mix into muffin tins or lotion bar molds.
- Allow it cool down till it gets harden completely and refrigerate it to speed up the process.
- Store them at room temperature and use it daily to get rid of the dry or chapped skin.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter and Vitamin E Oil)
This is another combination of coconut oil with shea butter that helps you in getting sure success in the battle to prevent dry skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour 1 cup each of virgin coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter (or mango butter) and beeswax in a saucepan.
- Stir it till all the ingredients are melted properly and then remove it from heat.
- Now add 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and few drops of essential oils.
- Stir carefully and pour this mix into the molds or in the empty lotion bars.
- Leave it to cool completely and refrigerate to speed up the process.
- Use it daily to relieve your dry skin and to enjoy smooth glowing skin.
Note: Or simply melt 1/2 cup each of cold pressed coconut oil and shea butter (or mango butter) and 2/3 cup of beeswax. Then add 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and 20 – 30 drops of any essential oils (lavender or jojoba oil) in it. Pour it into empty molds and cool it completely to use for severely dry or cracked skin.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Shea Butter and Olive Oil)
Shea butter protects the skin from dry and cool weather and also enhances the collagen production to keep the skin smooth and hydrated.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour 2 tablespoons of organic shea butter, 1 tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil and 2 teaspoons each of olive oil (or castor oil) and beeswax in a heat resistible glass bowl.
- Then place the glass bowl over a small pan filled with boiling water over low heat.
- Melt all these ingredients and remove the heat.
- Now add 20 drops of any essential oils (your choice) and pour this mix into lotion bar tube.
- Let it cool for several hours or overnight and use it as your lotion bar sticks to get the skin dryness at bay.
How to Use Coconut Oil Lotion Bars?
Unlike soap, you should not use it for cleansing (or exfoliating) the skin or on wet skin. It should be applied on the skin after your bath or shower. Pat your skin dry and apply the lotion bar all over the skin. Leave it for few minutes to get well absorbed by the skin. Repeat it daily after shower to moisturize and nourish the skin.
- You can use lemon, lavender, chamomile, orange essential oil while making these lotion bars. But be sure that the essential oils which you’re using are not causing any allergic reaction or over dryness to your skin.
- Other than the usage of lotion bars, you should drink plenty of water and other healthy diet to make your body stay hydrated.
- You can substitute beeswax with cocoa butter or mango butter and prepare this different combination lotion bars.
- Never ever place this soap bar in warm, damp areas or else it gets melted and we unable to use them as lotion bars.
- You can also mix essential oils or zinc oxide in the lotion bars for added benefits and even kids will enjoy these lotion bars but be sure that you should use the flower or star or different shaped molds to make fun for them and to use it regularly.
Have you ever prepared any DIY lotion bars? What is your favorite homemade lotion bar? Do you think that any variation I missed here? Then share it with us in the below comments box.