Ringworm is a skin fungal infection that affects on all parts of the skin, nails, and scalp. It is not caused by worms but it appears as a red ring on the skin. It isn’t a life threatening disease but a contagious disease that have to be treated immediately without spreading it to other body parts, with many over the counter medications or natural remedies.
People who think wisely will choose the natural remedies for treating this fungal infection rather than damaging their skin with the harsh chemicals that used in over the counter creams. Coconut oil is considered as a most popular home remedy for treating many health and skin problems including nail fungus, ringworm, acne, athlete’s foot, etc.
Is Coconut Oil good for Ringworm?
Many people will wonder that, does coconut oil really works for treating ringworm? But avoid placing those doubts in your mind and it will definitely help to cure this skin fungal infection with its amazing properties.
- Lauric acid in coconut oil exhibits anti-viral and anti-fungal properties that fight against the fungus causing ringworm and inhibits its growth. It also dissolves the outer fatty membranes of the microbes to kill them.
- It has skin soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin to prevent any pain, redness, itching and irritation caused on the skin.
- When coconut oil is mixed with any essential oil and applied topically on affected area then it provides effective relief from the ringworm and its symptoms like itching and flaking.
- It moisturizes the skin and has essential medium chain fatty acids and other nutrients that terminate this infection and makes the skin healthy and infection free.
- It penetrates deep into the skin and clears the infection from inside out.
So, from all these properties, we came to know that coconut oil can work potentially in fighting against this fungal infection and thus provide quick relief. Now let’s know about how to use coconut oil.
How to use Coconut Oil for Ringworm Removal?
Coconut oil can be used in many ways for treating only mild and moderately affected ringworm infection but make sure to consult your doctor if you’re suffering from severe ringworm infections.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil along is enough to get rid of this skin fungal infection successfully from the skin. This process is used to ringworm on the scalp, on baby’s skin and any other areas including Athlete’s foot.
Steps to be followed…
- Wash the affected area and your hands thoroughly with warm water.
- Dry your skin and apply enough of coconut oil on the ringworm affected areas.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it on for few minutes.
- For quick results, apply this virgin coconut oil for 4 times a day to get rid of the ringworm.
- If you don’t have to apply coconut oil too often on the skin then simply apply it on the ringworm affected areas at night before bed time and leave it on for overnight.
- Or else you can prepare coconut oil bandage which is available in health stores and place it on the fungus infected areas to get similar benefits.
- In case, you’re suffering from ringworm on the scalp then apply coconut oil at night before bed time on affected areas of the scalp and rinse the hair in the morning to remove all the buildup and residue caused by this infection.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil)
Both tea tree oil and coconut oil have antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that give you relief from ringworm and its symptoms.
Steps to be followed…
- Add few drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the ringworm infected skin areas.
- Massage it gently for a minute or two and leave it on for few minutes.
- Repeat the same process regularly for getting speed recovery from this skin condition.
Note: Use Oregano oil instead of tea tree oil.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Camphor)
Both coconut oil and camphor has effective antifungal and antiseptic properties that cure the ringworm along with soothing the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Crush camphor to make it as 5 grams powder.
- In that, add 20 grams of organic coconut oil and stir well.
- Apply this mix on the affected areas at night time and leave it on for overnight.
- Do the same process for a week to get complete relief from the ringworms.
Tips and Precautions:
- The longer the coconut oil application or its contact with the skin then the shorter will be the life of this fungal infection, as you should not give the fungi breathing space to recover and continue its growth on the skin.
- This natural oil is able to prevent the ringworm infection within 1 week but you have to follow it for another week to ensure that the fungus has been killed and also to prevent its recurrence.
- However, there is no scientific research done to prove that coconut oil is used for ringworm treatment. So, the results might differ for different people. But it is wise to consult your doctor immediately if you didn’t find any relief from the problem.
- It’s always best to use coconut oil that is unrefined, cold pressed and organic which has all the nutrients preserved and will provide you with the maximum healing.
- There are many natural remedies for treating ringworm. So, if you didn’t find any relief from this infection within 1 week or if it’s spreading to other body parts then choose another best remedy or seek for health care provider.
- Although it is considered as the safest natural home remedy that not even cause any allergic reaction on any skin type, so you can try this oil for treating ringworm.
- For grabbing best results, buy or use coconut oil in a glass jar rather than in a plastic container. Also, make sure to dry your skin why because ringworm thrives on the warm and moist skin.
- Avoid sharing your personal things and certain objects like towels, clothes, pets, etc. as it caught through direct skin contact. Expose your infected skin to sunlight for not less than 30 minutes daily.
This is all about Coconut Oil for Ringworms. Hope you’ll get rid of this infection using coconut oil and don’t forget to share your experience with us.
Leave a Reply