When there is a buildup of dead cells on the skin’s surface, appearing as thick scales or dry and itchy red patches on the skin. Then that skin condition is known as psoriasis, it is a chronic auto-immune skin problem that triggered by stress, genetics, infections and reaction to certain drugs, with a lot of pain and irritation.
However, due to constant over production of new skin cells which make it not to cure this skin problem completely but there are many natural ways for lessening its symptoms and reducing its intensity on the body.
Moisture is the key to prevent dry, itchy and painful red patches on the skin and the first thing which we get into mind while thinking about natural moisturizer is coconut oil. Coconut oil is very effective and age – old remedy suggested in Indian Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine to cure many health and skin problems including psoriasis.
Here are some of the reasons that make you understand why organic coconut oil actually works for treating psoriasis on skin and scalp.
- It has medium chain fatty acids same as your skin that makes the oil to get well absorbed into the skin (than any other natural oils) and restores the moisture levels to prevent dry and itchy patches on the skin.
- The healthy saturated fatty acids in coconut oil help a lot in balancing the saturated to unsaturated oils which in turn helps to maintain proper communications between cells and also restore the skin’s own depleted levels of fatty acids as more durable.
- It has anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce the pain, irritation, and inflammation caused by psoriasis and helps to keep your skin look younger by nourishing the damaged skin.
- Kinetin, a plant hormone in coconut oil has a potent antioxidant property that aids in the reducing the damage caused due to free radicals on the skin by promoting division in cells.
- It has monoglyceride that exhibits antiseptic property, used to withstand bacterial, viral and fungal infections on the skin. These infections will make the cells in underlying dermal skin layers to get inflamed and thus leads to either psoriasis outbreaks or worsening your problem.
- It improves digestive health that reduces the abdominal fat and sugar cravings. In certain research, people with abdominal fat react less likely to psoriasis treatment than people with very little abdominal fat, as the fat around abdomen will interact with the medicines and slows down the curing process.
- It has been proved in certain research that psoriasis is linked to insulin resistance which further reduces the inflammation in the skin. Coconut oil is very capable of reducing the insulin resistance and thereby reduces psoriasis lesions.
- It contains fatty acids like lauric acid, capric acid, and caprylic acid that boost up the immune system to prevent this auto-immune skin problem.
How to use Coconut Oil for Psoriasis:
Here we are providing the best coconut oil methods for treating psoriasis and its symptoms.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil can be used alone to control psoriasis patches on the skin. It is the best natural oil that keeps the skin well moisturized for more time to reduce the redness and dryness than any other moisturizers.
Steps to be followed…
- Take enough of virgin coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Place it in hot water to get the oil melt and slightly warm.
- Apply the oil on psoriasis affected skin areas like elbows, knees, arms, fingernails, trunk and scalp.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and allow it to sit for few hours to overnight.
- Leave it like that without washing and if you feel any greasy, then wipe off the excess oil from the applied areas.
- Continue applying the coconut oil for 2 – 3 times a day whenever you feel skin tightening.
- Or simply apply cold pressed and virgin coconut oil directly on the affected areas, as it gets melted in your hands while applying.
- For more effective results, spread the oil soon after taking a bath or shower which help to lock the moisture and keep your skin moisturized.
- For treating your scalp psoriasis, wrap your head with a warm towel and in the morning, remove the scale by combing it with a soft bristle toothbrush or a wide tooth comb.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil)
This process is very effective in treating scalp psoriasis, as both tea tree oil and coconut oil have antifungal and antimicrobial properties that help to clear the infection.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 5 – 10 drops of tea tree oil to 2 – 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Stir well and apply this on the scalp at night before going to bed.
- Let it sit for overnight and wash your hair in the morning with mild shampoo and warm water.
- Repeat the same process regularly to get control over psoriasis scales on the scalp.
Note: Or add few drops of peppermint oil (soothing agent) in the above mix and apply it on the affected areas. Also, you can apply this mix on the scalp to treat scalp psoriasis.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Aloe Vera)
Both coconut oil and aloe vera penetrates deep into the skin and moisturizes it to prevent dry and itchy patches on the skin along with boosting the immune system.
Steps to be followed…
- Melt 1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil and add 1/3 cup of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Stir well and add 3 drops each of peppermint oil, rose and lavender oil in it.
- Mix it and store the mixture in an airtight container.
- Keep the container aside for few hours to overnight.
- Then apply this mix on psoriasis affected skin areas at night time.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Refrigerate the remaining mix and use it regularly to get rid of the problem.
- Use this mix to reduce scalp psoriasis by applying it on the scalp but use aloe vera based shampoo.
- Or simply add some vitamin E oil to the above mix and use it to get control over the psoriasis symptoms.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always keep your stress levels to an absolute low, as stress will worsen the problem. Get some sunlight in the sunshine and sunset times to obtain the essential vitamin D from the sun.
- Prefer to use extra virgin coconut oil that is widely available in health food stores, supermarkets and online stores.
- Include coconut oil in your daily diet either by consuming 1 tablespoon directly for twice a day or mix it in fruit smoothies, sautee vegetables or use it instead of butter while eating pancakes or simply use it as your cooking oil to get relief from inside the body.
- Regular usage of coconut oil which is rich is saturated fatty acids help to metabolic syndrome which in turn reduces the insulin resistance that raises HDL and minimizes LDL’s and finally used as energy instead of being stored as fat in the body (weight gain). So, it’s a right choice to include in your diet rather than other natural oils.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from psoriasis after regular usage of coconut oil, as it might be due to any other health related problems or due to stress or anxiety, etc. for proper diagnose and treatment.
That’s all for now about coconut oil for psoriasis, try these methods to get control over psoriasis and its symptoms. Or do you know any other coconut oil methods for treating psoriasis? Then share it with us.