Everyone, especially women want to have beautiful nails to enhance their beauty. But due to harsh environmental conditions, unhealthy diet, daily activities, improper nail care, etc. is making your nails look dull and lifeless.
Nails are made up of keratin, a high water content that makes the nails flexible and soft. So, a little shortage of this water content will greatly affect your nails and makes them look rough, dry and brittle. You can bring back life to your nails by simply following coconut oil and taking proper care on your nails.
Coconut oil mainly ensures your nails that it locks the water content by moisturizing it. The nutrients in this oil will help to strengthen the nail beds and cuticles along with adding shine to it. Still having doubt, Is coconut oil good for nails? Without having any clear idea on the benefits of coconut oil for nails, not only you but everyone don’t believe for using coconut oil for nails.
So, here we are providing you with the detailed explanation on how coconut oil works for nail problems. go through it to get an idea on the amazing coconut oil properties.
- Coconut oil has antifungal property that protects your nail from fungal infections like nail fungus.
- It has an excellent moisturizing property that moisturizes and nourishes the skin along with equip the nails with certain nutrients.
- It contains all essential vitamins and minerals that provide the water content to make the nails shiny and beautiful.
- It moisturizes and strengthens the cuticles, especially ragged cuticles to make your nails stronger, healthier and shinier.
- It has emollient nature that helps to prevent your nails from getting dry and brittle.
- Constant exposure to water or a bad manicure will result in painful hangnails. It is your skin that comes out from the cuticles of the nails and this opening might result in the entrance of bacteria or fungus into the skin and spread the infection but the usage of coconut oil will prevent the hangnail issue quickly.
- It also effectively cures the ridges on your nails by providing essential moisture and prevents the attack of bacteria fungus into the skin.
After knowing its properties, hope you definitely give a trial of using coconut oil for nail problems. So for that, Now we are going to discover how to use coconut oil for nails, Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
This process is used to strengthen the cuticles (to cure rough and torn cuticles) and prevents hangnails and ridges.
Steps to be followed…
- Take some virgin coconut oil into your hands.
- Rub your hand to melt the oil and apply it on and around the nails and cuticles.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it on like that.
- Do the same application for several times a day regularly to get rid of nail problems and to make it healthy and shiny.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil for Nail Fungus)
Fungus is the main microbe that affects the nails (including toenails) and most commonly seen in the people those who are runners or having a lot of sweat or walk barefoot or using common showers. So, usage of coconut oil provides the essential protection from the fungal attacks on the nails.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 part of oregano oil to 5 parts of coconut oil.
- Stir it well and use this mix as an ointment for treating fungus on your nails.
- Apply a little on nails and massage it gently on the fungus affected nail areas, especially on the area where the nails meet the skin.
- Let it sit for few minutes till the skin absorbs the oil completely.
- Wash the area with warm water and dry the area thoroughly.
- Continue doing the same process for twice a day for 2 – 3 weeks to get rid of the fungus on the nails.
- Or you can simply apply warm coconut oil on fungus-infected areas and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Alternatively, mix 10 drops of tea tree oil, oregano oil, garlic oil, peppermint oil and clove oil in it. Stir well and apply this on the affected nails by massaging it gently for few minutes. Rinse off after 30 – 45 minutes or overnight.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil for Nail Growth)
With the above-mentioned properties, coconut oil has been proved for effective and beautiful nail growth.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/4 cup each of organic virgin coconut oil and honey and 4 drops of rosemary oil in a bowl.
- Heat it for few seconds (like 20 seconds in microwave and 20 – 30 seconds on stove).
- When once it gets warmed then take it out and soak your nails in this mix for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Be sure that the mix should be lukewarm but not hot, as it causes further damage rather than curing the problem.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 4 times a week to gain strong and healthier nails.
- Or simply massage the warm coconut oil on the nails in circular motions before going to sleep to enhance healthy nail growth.
- Or else add few drops of coconut oil in a bowl of warm water and stir well to soak your nails in it for few minutes. Dry the nails thoroughly and massage them with a little of coconut oil.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil for Nail Brittle)
Whenever the nails get dried or having any deficiency then they start to brittle. So to moisturize, strengthen and prevents from brittle, you have to apply coconut oil along with garlic.
Steps to be followed…
- First of all, mince up some garlic cloves and add it to lukewarm coconut oil.
- Stir well and let your nails soak in this mix for few minutes.
- Rinse it warm water and dry your nails thoroughly.
- Re-soak your nails as needed to prevent brittle nails.
Tips and Precautions:
- Maintain healthy nails with good hygiene like trimming your nails regularly, avoid removing the cuticle, biting your fingernails, using your nails for opening pop cans, etc. which damage the nails.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 pint of warm water and soak your feet in this water for 5 – 10 minutes to prevent the hard and thick nails for cutting it properly.
- Don’t dig out the ingrown toenails, as it causes infection and spreads it easily to other nails.
- Include coconut oil along with other healthy balanced foods in your daily diet to grab the same benefits from inside and makes the nails to grow healthy and shiny.
- The best time to apply coconut oil for nails is right before bed at night time. Also, remember to clean and dry the affected area before coconut oil application to grab maximum benefits.
Make your nails shine and beautiful with these coconut oil methods regularly. Have you tired the coconut oil for any nail problem then share it with us.