Clear, smooth and radiant skin is a dream and desire to everyone but due to busy schedules, environmental pollutants, hormonal imbalances, stress, etc. will harm the skin and results in rashes, acne, bumps or patches. One such most common skin problem is Keratosis Pilaris (KP), also called as chicken skin.
Chicken skin occurs in the form of small and rough bumps or patches on the body such as on arms, back, cheeks, neck, legs, buttocks and thighs. It is caused due to a protein called keratin, which makes up your hair, nails and skin. Whenever this protein piles up in the hair follicles and clogs them to appear as acne-like bumps on the skin, which is termed as KP.
There is no complete cure for this chicken skin but it will disappear on its own as you get older. The best way is to moisturize your skin regularly will help to resolve the problem.
Coconut oil stands in first place while talking about natural moisturizers for skin and hair. To help you further understand the relation between coconut oil and KP, you have to learn more about the coconut oil benefits, which makes it very effective for treating KP.
- It has medium chain fatty acids that make the oil to easily absorbed and moisturize skin by penetrating deep into the skin which in turn helps to loosen up and unplug the keratin buildup, causing all those bumps to reduce the appearance of chicken skin.
- It has lauric fatty acid which exhibits anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties that fight against the germs caused microbes by safeguarding the skin and gives relief from inside.
- It has anti-inflammatory property that reduces the inflammation, redness and other discomfort caused by Keratosis Pilaris.
- This edible oil has saturated fat that helps to maintain the skin’s moisture and hydrate it from the core.
- It is an excellent moisturizer without containing any harmful and irritating ingredients in it. It also has skin smoothening property that makes the skin free from Keratosis Pilaris bumps.
- It acts as massaging oil that not only enhances the relaxing effects but also penetrates deep into skin and nourishes it to get rid of the problem.
- Vitamin E in coconut oil is very essential for maintaining the skin healthy and supple. It prevents cracking and dryness by repairing the skin and makes it smooth, clear and young looking. The proteins in coconut oil help to repair the damaged cells and tissues in the skin.
Hope you convinced that coconut oil helps to soothe dryness, reduce redness and thus alleviates bumps and inflammation of KP. Now the main thing is how to use coconut oil for Keratosis Pilaris? Read on to know the best coconut oil methods for treating the problem.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil Topical Application)
This process is the best and simple that used to treat all types of Keratosis Pilaris like rubra, alba and rubra faceii. It is widely used to treat Keratosis Pilaris on face, legs, arms, elbows and knees.
Steps to be followed…
- Take enough of virgin coconut oil and apply it on Keratosis Pilaris affected skin areas.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and leave it on like that for few hours to overnight.
- Repeat the same consistently to get relief from KP and its irritating symptoms.
- It’s best to apply coconut oil after taking a shower (on damp skin) or in the mid shower to get proper moisturize to the skin.
- Or simply apply organic coconut oil on the skin before taking a shower to gain access into the inner layers of the skin and penetrate it deeply to moisture the skin and further unblock the pores.
- Exfoliate your skin before using coconut oil as your treatment to remove dead cells and make the skin clean and clear.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil – Internal Intake)
Even consuming coconut oil will help to treat the problem from inside by moisturizing the dry and cracked KP affected skin areas.
Here are few ways of consuming coconut oil in your daily diet…
- Consume 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil directly per day and then increase the quantity to 2 tablespoons for twice a day to heal the skin from inside out.
- Use coconut oil as your cooking oil and also replace your butter with organic coconut oil to grab the benefits of moisturizing the skin from inside.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar will balance the pH levels of the skin and coconut oil moisturizes the skin to get rid of the problem.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix equal quantities of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar with a dash of honey in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a fine lotion and apply this lotion on KP affected skin areas.
- Leave it to get your skin well moisturized.
- Regularly follow the same process to get relief from the KP problem.
Note: Or simply wash the KP affected areas with organic apple cider vinegar and then apply coconut oil as your moisturizer.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil and Sugar Scrub)
Coconut oil scrubs will exfoliate the skin to get rid of dead skin cells and other dirt buildup on the skin which is causing or irritating KP.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 2 teaspoons of virgin coconut oil and 1 teaspoon each of white sugar and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Stir well by adding a spoon of honey or vanilla extract and apply this mix on the KP affected areas.
- Scrub it gently for few minutes and rinse it off with water.
- Continue doing this natural moisturizing scrub regularly to heal the skin from Keratosis Pilaris.
- Or simply use sugar – coconut oil mix without honey or vanilla extract as a scrubbing mix to get rid of chicken skin.
- Alternatively, mix coconut oil with gentle abrasives like sea salt and apply this scrub mix on the KP afflicted skin patches. Rub it gently for few minutes to open up the skin pores and get deep into the skin layers.
- For more effective results, you have to use coconut oil scrubs either before or during the showers.
Method – 5: (Coconut Oil with Shea Butter and Vitamin E)
This whipped coconut oil helps to moisture the skin effectively to prevent bumps on the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 2 parts of coconut oil, 1 part of Shea butter, 1 teaspoon of liquid vitamin E and few drops of any essential oil in the mixer.
- Blend it and apply this mix on the Keratosis Pilaris affected skin areas.
- Let it sit for few minutes to few hours and wipe it off.
- Do the same process regularly until you get relief from KP.
- Or use Cocoa butter instead of Shea butter in this process.
- Alternatively, whip up some virgin coconut oil into a fluffy body butter soap mix for showering.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always prefer to use organic, virgin and cold pressed coconut oil instead of normal one for getting proper moisture to the skin.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals and other lotions or soaps which have artificial fragrance, parabens, mineral oils or petroleum based products.
- Usage of a loofah or exfoliating cream or washcloth or natural body scrubs to remove dry skin along with redness and inflammation.
- Some people also found that coconut oil pulling helped them in getting relief from Keratosis Pilaris.
- Vitamin D is very essential for treating KP, so be sure to expose yourself to sunlight for about 15 – 20 minutes daily. Also, regularly apply sunscreen lotion to prevent further damage to the skin.
- Use a humidifier while sleeping, avoid trans fats, allergy-causing foods and consume more nutritious food, stay hydrated, avoid allergens and other environmental pollutants, regular exfoliation to clean the skin, etc. will help to prevent the recurrence of KP.
- Also, use coconut oil based soaps, lotions, scrubs for treating your Keratosis Pilaris rather than harmful chemicals or steroids in the cosmetic products. Use readymade coconut oil products like pure Fiji spa coconut sugar rub, Nubian heritage coconut and papaya soap, organic Fiji sugar polish, Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil, etc for treating KP.
Use these coconut oil methods to avail a quick improvement in your KP and get benefit from a healthier and more attractive appearance. Do you know any other coconut oil methods for KP treatment or have any queries? Then come forward to share it with us.