Do you have dry skin like me? Then you know how hard it is to moisturize the skin and make it soft and smooth.
Whenever the skin’s oil glands are unable to produce excess oil to moisturize the skin then it results in rough, scaly patches on the skin and thereby results in scratch and formation of scars on the skin.
The main triggers for dry skin are nutritional deficiencies (omega – 3 fats), dehydration, stress, exposure to harsh soaps or detergents, hot showers, aging, genetics, chilling weather, etc.
Dry and flaky skin will exhibit certain symptoms like redness, skin tightness, itching, skin peeling or cracks, fine lines and aging signs, bacterial infections, etc.
Don’t worry, as there are many natural remedies that help you to get rid of dry and flaky skin rather than using cosmetic lotions and moisturizers.
Here we are discussing a natural and effective remedy for dry skin, which is other than coconut oil. Let’s get started to know all about coconut oil for dry skin.
How Does Coconut Oil used for Dry Skin?
- Coconut oil is enriched with healthy fats that help to moisturize the skin and thereby forms a protective layer on the skin’s surface to prevent dryness and flaking.
- It penetrates deep into the skin and gets easily absorbed by the skin to moisturize it well. The saturated fats help to retain the moisture level of the skin and thereby give a healthy even toned skin.
- Coconut oil application will act as a sunscreen, soothes the skin and reduce the damage and dryness caused due to exposure to sun or weather.
- It effectively reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and helps to keep the connective tissues strong and supple.
- If you massage coconut oil on the outer skin, then it exfoliates to remove the dead skin cells and helps to keep your skin smooth.
- It contains antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear any microbial action on the skin and soothes it.
- The vitamin E in coconut oil helps to repair the dry, dull and damaged skin with its skin – nourishing and hydrating properties. The antioxidant property helps to fight against the free radicals and thus moisturizes the dry skin.
How to use Coconut Oil for Dry Skin?
The listed below are the best coconut oil methods that are widely used to treat dry skin. Have a look at these methods and follow them to get rid of the problem.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil is loaded with good fats that moisturize your skin and keep it fresh and infection – free. You can use coconut oil alone to get rid of dry skin.
- Take 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil in a bowl and melt it in your hands.
- Apply the oil on your face and neck and massage gently for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes (or overnight) and rinse off your face with a wet cotton towel.
- Continue this coconut oil application daily or in alternate days to moisturize your skin in the dry season.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Glycerin)
Glycerin is the most common ingredient used for treating dry skin, due to its humectant property. It attracts moisture on the skin and helps to keep it well moisturized. This combination prevents the loss of moisture by forming a protective layer on the skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of glycerin and water in a container and then add 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil to it.
- Shake it well after securing the cap and apply a small amount to all over your face and neck.
- Massage it gently for 5 – 8 minutes and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with water and pat dry the face.
- Repeat the same process once daily for few days to get relief from dry skin.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera is an amazing ingredient used to moisturize and rejuvenate the dry skin. It also soothes the irritated skin and makes it smooth to prevent the skin tightness. This combination not only moisturizes the skin but also repairs the damaged caused by sun exposure.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in 2 – 3 tablespoons of pure (fresh) aloe vera gel in a bowl and stir well.
- Then spread it all over the face, neck, hands and legs and massage it gently for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Allow it to sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and wash the area thoroughly with water.
- Dry the skin and repeat the same process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil Pack with Honey)
Even honey also exhibit a natural humectant property that holds the moisture and thus rejuvenate the dry and damaged skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of raw honey in a bowl.
- Apply this mix on your face and neck as a pack and let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off with lukewarm water and dry your face with a soft towel.
- Do the same process regularly for 3 – 4 times a week.
Method – 5: (Coconut Oil with Other Oils)
Coconut oil can also be mixed with other natural oils to grab best results of extra moisturizing and nourishing to the skin.
Here are few combinations of coconut oil with other natural oils.
- Castor Oil acts as skin emollient that helps to moisturize the skin and make it soft and supple. Mix well 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and castor oil and apply it on the face, neck, and hands. Massage for few minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes. Do it twice a week.
- Jojoba oil penetrates deep into the skin and nourishes it by repairing the dry and damaged skin. Stir well 2 tablespoons each of jojoba oil and coconut oil and spread it all over the dry skin. Massage gently for 5 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 – 20 minutes. Repeat twice in every week.
- Olive oil has healthy fats and vitamin E that moisturize and hydrated the dry skin along with rejuvenating the skin. Apply an oil mix prepared by stirring 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and coconut oil on the skin. Gently massage the applied areas for 5 – 7 minutes and go to shower after 15 – 20 minutes.
- Shea butter has fatty acids (like linoleic acids, palmitic, oleic and stearic acids) that help a lot in moisturizing and nourishing the dry skin. Prepare and use this combination just like as mentioned oil methods.
Method – 6: (Coconut Oil Scrub with Sugar)
Sugar is generally used to exfoliate the skin to remove dry and dead skin cells. Also, sugar has glycolic acid that helps to maintain the natural balance of oil and thereby prevent the skin from over – drying.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar in 2 – 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted) in a bowl.
- Stir well and put the mix in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Apply it on the face and neck and start scrubbing it gently for few minutes.
- After that, wait for 10 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Dry your skin with a soft towel and continue doing the same process for 1 – 2 times a week.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids which help to body and skin to stay hydrated and thereby prevent dryness.
- You can also mix baking soda with coconut oil to mild exfoliation on the skin. Make baking soda paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of baking soda and some water. Then mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and apply it on all over the face with 5 minutes of gentle massage. Rinse off after 10 minutes and do it once a week.
- Avoid taking excessive or hot showers, as it dries out your skin and makes it even worse. You can use lukewarm water for bathing in any season to protect your skin.
- Anything in excess will be a problem, even coconut oil, if applied in excess, will also cause the problem of clogging the skin pores and results in breakouts.
- It’s best to exfoliate the skin for 2 – 3 times a week on regular basis to get rid of dry and dead skin cells, which in turn prevent the skin from getting over dried.
- Apply natural skin moisturizers like oil – based, body butter or creamy lotions after taking your bath to moisture the skin effectively. Avoid the usage of alcohol-based skin products, as they result in skin dryness.
- Run a humidifier to add moisture to your air and thereby prevent the dry and cool air, which causes dry skin.
- For best results, use organic, cold pressed and virgin coconut oil for preventing skin dryness and also use organic and natural ingredients for your skin.
- Consult your dermatologist if you’re suffering from excessive skin dryness for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Coconut oil is safe to use that won’t cause any allergic reaction (hypoallergenic).
Try these natural coconut oil methods for treating skin dryness. Do you know any other coconut oil methods for treating dry skin? Then share it with us in the below comments box.