Overweight is one major problem faced by many people all over the world. So, weight loss has become a popular topic in these modern days.
However, there is no miracle food or super pill that aids in faster weight loss but the real and best solution to lose weight is to have balanced diet with regular exercises.
There are many natural remedies that help you to maintain a healthy weight. Cinnamon is one among those superfoods that aids in weight loss. Cinnamon spice is rich in flavor and has medicinal properties.
So, here in this article, we will learn all about cinnamon for treating weight loss. Let’s have a look at how cinnamon helps you in losing your weight.
How Does Cinnamon help to Lose Weight?
Here are some of the cinnamon properties that help you to cut down excess calories and thereby lose weight.
- Cinnamon has rich content of iron, magnesium, fiber and calcium that aids in proper digestion and clears the problems like diarrhea, constipation, bloating and indigestion.
- It lowers the blood sugar levels and bad cholesterol levels (LDL) to lower your excess weight. Adding cinnamon to a meal will help to lower the glycemic index by 18 – 29%. So, consuming lower glycemic foods helps to avoid spikes in the blood sugar levels and cut down your calories.
- It tastes sweet in nature, so it also satisfies those who have craving for sweet foods, which in turn controls diabetes and weight loss.
- It effectively imitates the biological activity of insulin and thus raises the metabolism of glucose to prevent the increased storage of fat by the body. It controls and regulates the insulin levels and thereby there is no buildup of the fat.
- It suppresses the appetite and makes you feel full in the intestinal tract for a longer time that in turn makes you eat less food to lose weight.
- It helps the body to process carbohydrates effectively and this assists you in losing weight.
- It has a direct impact on abdominal fat more than fat found in other body parts. Abdominal fat is the most dangerous type of fat, as it affects other most vital organs. So, consume cinnamon daily for less belly fat and overall health.
- It is rich in polyphenols and chromium (a mineral) that controls the appetite and aids in proper weight loss.
- The hydroxy-cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon helps to clear inflammation and reduces harmful fats in the body.
- It has antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help to get rid of any microbial action in the stomach and thus aids in better digestion.
How to use Cinnamon for Weight Loss?
Cinnamon can be used in many ways for losing the excess weight. All you need is to include cinnamon in your daily diet along with intake of nutritional food and some exercises to lose your excess calories.
Method – 1: (Cinnamon)
The consumption of cinnamon spice causes a metabolic reaction and this boost will burn calories and assists with weight loss.
Here are some easy ways of incorporating cinnamon in your diet to lose weight.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder on your breakfast cereal or oatmeal.
- Add some cinnamon powder to your regular morning coffee or teas and drink it. Also, add some cinnamon powder to your toast and have it with a cup of coffee.
- Mix freshly crushed cinnamon powder into your fruit juices or protein shakes or smoothies or any food items and drink it.
- Simply mix the cinnamon powder in other natural foods like ginger, lemon juice or honey and use it to get proper weight.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon powder into yogurt, butter, and cheese spreads to enhance their flavor and to lose extra weight.
- Sprinkle some ground cinnamon on applesauce or freshly chopped apple or chopped banana or chopped fruits or in any other baked foods and consume it for effective weight loss.
- Mix 1 teaspoon or two of Ceylon cinnamon powder in 1 cup of warm milk, cappuccino or hot chocolate and drink it to cut down the excess calories.
Method – 2: (Cinnamon Tea)
Cinnamon tea will help to speed up the metabolism and thereby reduces your weight.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a small cinnamon stick in a mug filled with 8 ounces of boiling water.
- Stir well and let it steep for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After that, strain the tea and drink it once or twice daily to get rid of overweight.
Method – 3: (Ceylon Cinnamon with Apple)
Apple is rich in enzymes, nutrients, and fiber that aids in proper digestion and thereby reduces the glucose content in the blood stream and loses extra weight.
- Cut an apple into thin slices and place it in the pitcher.
- Add a cinnamon stick to it and cover the pitcher with 1/2 part of an ice and another 1/2 with water.
- Stir well and refrigerate it to get chilled and drink it.
- This cinnamon – apple water will last for about a day in the refrigerator without spoiling.
- Regular intake of this water will help you to aid digestion, strengthen your immunity and lose weight.
Note: Or simply mix the juice of 1 apple and finely chopped 1 apple pieces along with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a large pitcher filled with water. You can also add some raspberries or fresh lemon juice in it. Chill and drink it regularly for weight loss.
Method – 4: (Cinnamon with Honey)
Honey and cinnamon help to clean the digestive tract and lowers the blood sugar and cholesterol levels to get rid of weight loss and the problems faced by the problem. This combination helps to crab the appetite and block the body from gaining fat.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon powder in 1 cup of boiling water and let it steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Let the mix cool for few minutes and strain it.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of raw honey in this water and stir well.
- Drink 1/2 cup of this water in the morning on an empty stomach and another 1/2 cup in the night 45 minutes after your dinner.
- Continue the same process for twice daily till you get rid of the excess weight and make yourself slim and fit.
Method – 5: (Cinnamon with Banana and Milk)
This combination will help you to lose extra weight but be sure that not to drink this mix too much, as it causes weight to gain.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1/4 cup of raw oats, 1/2 cup of skimmed milk, 1 cup of plain and low-fat yogurt, 1 – 2 teaspoons of white sugar and 1 mashed banana in a blender.
- Blend all these ingredients till it forms a smoothie and sprinkle a little of cinnamon powder on the smoothie.
- Drink it regularly till you experienced desired weight loss.
Tips and Precautions:
- Ceylon cinnamon is the best type of cinnamon due to its less amount of coumarin that won’t cause any damage when taken daily.
- Start taking 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder on daily basis and slowly increase the quantity to a maximum of 2 teaspoons per day will help you to get weight loss.
- Always remember that intake of cinnamon alone will not help you to lose weight, you have to follow some healthy diet and regular exercises to achieve your desired weight.
- It has blood thinning (anti-clotting) properties that interact with some medications. So, consult your doctor before using this cinnamon for weight loss.
- It’s best to check whether you’re allergic to the particular ingredients before using any new ingredient and then continue it for treating your problem.
- Avoid taking cinnamon in excess amounts, as it causes tongue inflammation, intestinal problems, mouth sores, mucous membranes, drowsiness, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- There is also a risk of getting some health problems if it is taken in huge quantities. Pregnant women and people suffering from liver damages, anti-coagulant or jaundice should avoid taking this spice.
- You can also use cinnamon pills or capsules for weight loss. The recommended dosage is 500 mg of cinnamon pills for 4 times daily (2000 mg – per day) but make sure to consult your doctor before using it.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks to stay hydrated and increase your metabolism by flushing out the toxins from the body.
Include cinnamon in your diet for weight loss. Do you know any successful methods of using cinnamon for weight loss? Then share it with us in the below comments box.