Bad breath (or halitosis) is an embarrassing problem that causes unpleasant or foul odor from the mouth. It is caused due to the accumulation of bacteria in your mouth, gum diseases, digestive tract problems, dry mouth, poor oral hygiene, sinus problem, stress, intake of odor – producing foods, etc.
However, commercial mouthwashes will provide only temporary relief from the bad breath but the usage of natural remedies will provide the best relief from bad breath.
Here, in this article, we are going to know all about cinnamon for treating bad breath with its amazing properties. Let’s get started.
Is Cinnamon Effective in getting rid of Bad Breath?
- Cinnamon contains an organic compound called cinnamic aldehyde which freshen-up your breath by clearing bad breath.
- It has antimicrobial properties that prevent the odor causing bacteria.
- It has a refreshing and fragrant aroma which helps to keep your breath fresh for longer time.
How to use Cinnamon for Treating Bad Breath:
Here are few best cinnamon methods explained for treating bad breath. You just choose the method and follow them regularly.
Method – 1: (Cinnamon Mouthwash)
Here are some cinnamon based mouthwashes that freshen your breath and clears bad breath.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, some bay leaves and crushed cardamom in 1 cup of water. Boil it for 5 – 10 minutes and strain the mix. Use it to rinse your mouth for twice daily.
- Honey has antibacterial property and lemon gives refreshing breath. Mix 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoons of honey and juice of 2 lemons in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well and pour it in an airtight jar to use it 2 tablespoons to gargle for a minute.
- Mix 10 drops of cinnamon oil to 1 glass of water and use it to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Spit it out and rinse your mouth. Repeat it twice daily.
- Strong and refreshing aroma of lemon helps to freshen up your breath. Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 1 cup of water. Stir well and use this mix to rinse your mouth for once daily.
Method – 2: (Cinnamon Drink)
Here are some cinnamon based drinks like tea which helps you to prevent bad breath.
- Gingerol in ginger cuts off the bad breath by killing bacteria. Mix few ginger slices and 2 – 3 cinnamon sticks in 1 cup of boiling water. Simmer it for 5 minutes and steep for another 10 minutes. Strain it and drink it warm to get rid of the problem.
- Cloves destroy the bacteria by creating an acidic environment in your mouth. Mix 1 teaspoon each of fresh ground cloves and cinnamon in 1 cup of boiling water. Simmer for 10 minutes and strain it. Drink this warm tea for twice daily till you get relief from the bad breath.
- Fennel provides a refreshing aroma that reduces bad breath. Mix 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds and 2 – 3 cinnamon sticks to 1 glass of water. Steep it for overnight and strain it in the morning. Drink it once daily in the morning.
- Parsley has chlorophyll that cleanses the body, detoxifies and fights against bad breath. Extract juice of fresh parsley and stir it with 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Drink it once daily.
- Honey helps to destroy the odor causing bacteria. Mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder in 2 tablespoons of honey and consume 1 teaspoon of this mix for 2 – 3 times daily to freshen up your breath.
Method – 3: (Cinnamon Toothpaste with Baking Soda)
Baking soda treats bad breath by balancing the pH level in the mouth and prevent the growth of bacteria. This combination removes strain or plaque on your teeth and provides long-lasting fresh breath.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Stir well by adding enough water to make it a fine paste.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth for once or twice a week till you get rid of bad breath.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid this cinnamon, if you’re allergic to cinnamon. If you’re experiencing itchy eyes, insomnia, runny nose, upset stomach, swollen throat or mouth, shortness of breath after consuming cinnamon, then avoid using it.
- It exhibits blood thinning effects that may interfere with certain medications. So, consult your doctor before using cinnamon if you’re using cinnamon for bad breath.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children are not advised to take cinnamon in large amounts, as high amounts are considered as toxic.
- Other than using cinnamon, brush your teeth twice daily, floss it once and clean your tongue to get rid of bacteria or any buildup of plaque.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet like eating raw fruits and vegetables (carrots, apples, celery or berries) to get relief from the problem.
- Replace your toothbrush once in every 2 – 3 months and also get a habit of using mouthwash to prevent bad breath.
- Consult your doctor for regular dental checkups and the persistent bad breath can be a symptom of many underlying health problems. So, consult your doctor to find out the root cause and thereby treatment.
Hope this article is helpful for you in treating your bad breath. Do you know any other effective cinnamon methods? Then share it with us in the below comments box.