Dry or chapped or cracked lips are a common problem that appears mostly in winter than other seasons. The painful lips are caused when the lips are unable to produce enough natural oils to moisturize them naturally.
Vitamin deficiencies, smoking, dehydration, harsh weather changes, allergic and skin disorders, sun exposure, certain medications, cosmetic products, excessive licking of lips, etc. are some triggers of chapped lips.
Dryness, sores, flaking, swelling, bleeding, cracks, scales, etc. are some symptoms experienced while suffering from dry and cracked lips. If left untreated, this will result in health problems like cold sores, bacterial infections, etc.
Instead of using commercial lip care products, you can try some natural ways to get rid of these chapped lips at your home.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips:
Discover the amazing natural home remedies for treating your chapped lips and follow them regularly to get smooth and stunning lips.
Method – 1: (Sugar)
Sugar exfoliates your lips to remove dead skin and other impurities but avoid rubbing your lips too harshly.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of raw honey to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the lips and leave it for a couple of minutes.
- Then rub your lips gently by using your fingers to loosen up the dead skin cells.
- After that, rinse off with lukewarm water and dry it.
- Repeat the same regularly to restore the natural softness and to heal chapped lips.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil (almond oil) in 1 – 2 teaspoons of sugar (brown sugar) to make a scrub mix. Use it to rub your lips gently and rinse off after 7 – 10 minutes with lukewarm water.
Method – 2: (Rose Petals)
Rose petals help the lip to stay well – moisturized and also enhance the natural pink color to the lips.
- Rinse a handful of fresh rose petals thoroughly in water.
- Soak them in enough milk (or glycerin) for an hour or two and crush these rose petals into a thick paste.
- Apply it on the dry lips by rubbing gently and leave it for few minutes.
- Continue the same process 2 – 3 times daily till you get complete relief from the dry and cracked lips.
Method – 3: (Honey)
Honey acts as a great moisturizer that heals your dry and cracked lips. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that not only relieves you from the pain and swelling but also prevents the bacterial infections.
- Mix raw honey and glycerin in a bowl.
- Apply it at night before bedtime and leave it on for overnight.
- Rinse off in the morning and repeat it regularly to enjoy softer lips.
Or simply apply pure honey on the chapped lips for several times a day till you get relief from the problem.
Also, mix equal quantities of rose water and honey. Apply it on the lips and wait for 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water. Dry your lips and repeat regularly.
Method – 4: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil is enriched with healthy fatty acids that exhibit moisturizing property to treat dry and chapped lips.
- Mix few drops of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon each of castor oil and glycerin in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply it on the lips at night before bedtime.
- Wipe it off in the morning with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water.
- Do it daily to get soft and smooth lips.
- Or mix 1/2 teaspoon of castor oil in 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and honey. Apply it on the lips at night before bedtime and repeat regularly for few days to get quick relief.
- Also, apply organic coconut oil (or) almond oil (or) olive oil (or) jojoba oil (or) flaxseed oil for few times daily to treat chapped lips with its amazing moisturizing property.
Method – 5: (Milk Cream)
Milk cream has high-fat content that acts as natural moisture that prevents dryness and clears chapped lips.
- Apply some fresh milk cream on the lips and let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Then rinse off the lips with a cotton ball that dipped in lukewarm water.
- Dry your lips and repeat the same daily for few days to heal your lips faster.
Method – 6: (Petroleum Jelly)
Petroleum jelly or Vaseline helps to soften, nourish and protect the lip from drying.
- Apply a thin layer of raw honey on all over the chapped lips and wait for a minute.
- Then apply a light coat of petroleum jelly on your lips.
- Allow it sit for few minutes and wipe it off with a cotton ball dipped in warm water.
- Continue doing the same process for twice daily till you get complete relief from the body.
Method – 7: (Mango Butter or Oil)
Mango butter and oil acts as emollients that exhibit a rich content of oleic and stearic fatty acids that naturally produce oil to moisture your chapped or cracked lips.
- Apply enough organic mango butter to your lips.
- Leave it on to dry naturally.
- For best results, apply it at night before bedtime and rinse off in the morning.
- Do the same regularly till you healed dry and chapped lips.
Note: Or apply pure lukewarm ghee (or) butter (or) glycerine to moisture your lips.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks to stay well hydrated and to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Application of fresh aloe vera gel (or) fresh cucumber juice on the chapped lips will moisture your lips and thus prevents chapped or cracked lips.
- Avoid licking your lips, as the enzymes in saliva will remove moisture from the lips and result in cracked lips.
- Avoid too much caffeine, alcohol drinking and quit smoking to get rid of dry lips. Also, run a humidifier to add moisture to your room so as to prevent breathing with your mouth while sleeping.
- Never ever pick dry skin or scabs off your lips and apply a lip balm that contains cocoa butter or shea butter, especially at night before bedtime to get rid of chapped lips and lip balm with an SPF of 15 has to applied in the morning.
- Avoid the intake of acidic and salty foods and consume a healthy diet that has plenty of vitamins (A, B, C & E) in your daily diet.
- Chapped lips in its extreme cases are sometimes associated with certain health problems like Kawasaki disease, diabetes, macrocytosis and sexually transmitted diseases. So, consult your doctor if you didn’t get relief from these dry lips within 7 – 10 days.
- Most of the mouthwashes and toothpaste contain fluoride can cause chapped lips. So, stop using them till you get relief from the problem or else look for an alternative.
Try these natural remedies for treating chapped lips. Do you know any other effective remedies for clearing chapped lips? Then share it with us in the below comments box.