Bruise (or contusion) is a black, purple red or bluish mark on the skin that caused due to an injury which brushes the small blood vessels and leak blood into the adjacent tissues, under the skin’s surface.
However, the effect of these bruises will depend on the skin’s sensitivity and may take 12 days to months to get heal completely, depending on the severity. The color gets more intense when the broken blood capillaries are close to the skin’s surface.
Injury, fragile skin, accident, over exercising, banging or bumping against something, poor diet (lack of vitamins C & K), bleeding disorders, anemia, obesity, certain medications, etc. will cause these hideous marks. Pain or swelling in the affected area along with the skin discoloration will be experienced as symptoms.
Instead of using OTC medications or creams, just try some simple natural remedies to get rid of bruises and its symptoms.
Home Remedies for Bruises:
Here are the best and widely used natural remedies that help you to speed up the healing process and clear these bruises effectively.
Remedy – 1: (Cold (or ice) Compress and Hot Compress)
Ice or cold compress is an effective way to reduce swelling and pain, as it compress the blood vessels and thus prevent it from further seepage of blood into the tissues and skin.
- Simply wrap some ice cubes in a small cloth and hold it over the bruise affected skin area for 10 – 15 minutes.
- For best results, do it immediately as a first aid after getting this mark on the skin.
- Continue doing the same process for several times in that day (24 hours).
- Also, replace ice with a bag of frozen vegetables as a cold compress (if ice is not available).
- Alternatively, you can also soak a clean cloth in ice or cold water (add few drops of lavender oil) and squeeze it to apply on the affected area to get a soothing effect.
- Never ever apply ice directly on the skin why because it results in frostbite.
After 48 hours, when the initial swelling is gone, then you can apply moist heat to help stimulate the blood flow and to restore the mobility to the affected.
- Soak a clean washcloth in warm water and wring it to remove excess water.
- Place it on the affected area for few minutes till the cloth cool down completely.
- Repeat it few times daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Also, you can apply a heating pad on the affected area to improve blood circulation and thereby to get rid of these marks on the skin.
- Alternatively, you can prepare an herbal tea compress by placing 1 teaspoon each of dried lavender flowers and chamomile flowers in 1 cup of hot water. Cover and steep it for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain the mix and refrigerate it. Soak a cloth in this cold herbal tea and use it as your cold compress. Continue it for few times in a day (24 hours).
Remedy – 2: (Arnica)
Arnica is an herbal remedy used to reduce the pain, swelling, and inflammation on the affected area. It enhances the blood circulation all around the bruise affected area.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of witch hazel bark, arnica tincture, chamomile flowers, and St. John’s wort in a bowl.
- Then add 4 drops of lavender oil and 2 tablespoons of cold water in it.
- Stir well and soak a clean washcloth in this mix for few minutes.
- Squeeze the cloth to remove excess liquid and place it on the bruise affected area.
- Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and repeat it once or twice daily in the first couple of days to get rid of pain and the skin discoloration.
- Or take arnica gel or tincture (add a small amount of water to tincture) and use it rub on the affected areas for few times daily.
- Avoid applying arnica on the broken skin, as it causes irritation.
Remedy – 3: (Bromelain)
Bromelain (protein digesting enzymes) is present mostly in pineapples. It exhibits an anti-inflammatory property that helps to heal bruises on the skin. It also treats bone bruises along with fading the marks on the skin.
- Take 250 – 400 mg of bromelain supplements for thrice daily till the bruise clears on the skin.
- Or simply consume fresh pineapple and other bromelain-rich fruits to clear the bruise marks on the skin.
- Regular intake will help you to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 4: (Essential Oils)
Essential oils will help you to get rid of a bruise by increasing the blood circulation and thereby disperse the pooled blood to reduce the marks on the skin. But be sure to apply the essential oils (or its blend) after a couple of days.
- Mix 1 drop of cypress oil, 2 drops of fennel oil and 5 drops of calendula oil in 4 teaspoons (10 ml) of grapeseed oil.
- Stir well and apply it on the bruise affected areas.
- Rub it gently for few minutes on the affected area and continue doing it once daily till you get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 5: (Diet Plan)
- Vitamin K regulates blood clotting and reduces bruising. So, include vitamin K-rich foods like spinach, kale, lettuce, alfalfa, broccoli and other green leafy vegetables. Also, consult your doctor before taking vitamin K (or alfalfa tablets), as it may interact with certain medications.
- Vitamin C rich foods like oranges, mangoes, broccoli, sweet potatoes, peppers, etc. will help to reduce the inflammation and bruises sooner. So, consume vitamin C rich foods regularly to clear bruises.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy diets to keep yourself hydrated and to heal these bruise marks on the skin.
- Consume protein-rich diet and quit smoking or drinking alcohol for getting quick relief from the problem.
Other Effective Remedies:
- Comfrey is an age old remedy that used for treating bruises and wounds. So, prepare comfrey tea by steeping 1 tablespoon of dried comfrey herb in 1 ¼ cups of hot water for 15 – 20 minutes. Soak a clean cloth in it and place it on the affected area as a cold compress for 1 – 2 days and then as a warm compress.
- St. John’s wort contains anti-inflammatory properties that treat bruises and also acts as an analgesic to give relief from pain. Steep 2 tablespoons of dried St. John’s wort in 1 cup of hot water for about 10 – 20 minutes and drink it once daily (or) apply St. John’s wort oil for several times daily to clear the problem.
- Vinegar helps to increase the blood flow near the skin’s surface on the affected area which in turn dissipates the blood to pool into the bruised area. Soak a cloth in apple cider vinegar mixed with some water and place it on the affected area as a compress for 10 minutes. Never apply it on the broken areas, as it causes irritation and pain.
Tips and Precautions:
- Rub vitamin K cream gently on the affected area for twice daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Applying some ingredients like fresh lemon juice, onion juice, melted warm chocolates, hot sugar or honey syrup and butter and wrap it with a bandage to get quick heal from the problem.
- Massaging the affected area with castor oil, coconut oil, margarine, aloe vera gel, etc. will increase proper blood circulation and thereby relieves you from the bruises.
- Elevate the bruise affected area so that it prevents the blood from pooling in the bruised area and thus reduces the discoloration.
- Always you should try to treat the bruise in legs and hands from the top but not under the affected area. Also, restrict moving often, as walking, running, moving or jumping will worsen the bruise. So, avoid placing any strain on the affected area.
- Avoid taking aspirin, due to its blood thinner effect but you can take acetaminophen or ibuprofen or any other painkiller for relief, after consulting your doctor.
- Take enough rest and enjoy your favorite TV shows or movies or sleep or any of your favorite activity to enhance the healing of bruises completely.
- Remember that bruises are not any indication of a serious health problem. So, consult your doctor if you’re suffering from any significant bumps, high fever, extreme pressure around the bruise, reduction of blood and oxygen supply to that area, then go to the doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Ultraviolet light (Sunrays) will help to break down the bilirubin, which in turn break down the hemoglobin causing the yellowish color to the bruise. So, try to get 10 – 15 minutes of direct sunlight per day to break up the bruise without leading to sunburn.
- Apply some crushed parsley leaves and spread it all around the bruise to reduce the pain, inflammation and to heal the bruise quickly. Make sure to wrap the area with an elastic bandage.
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon of salt in 1 tablespoon of lard and apply it on the bruise to prevent it from getting darker on the skin.
Try these Natural Remedies for Bruise. Do you know any other successful remedies for treating bruise? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.