Going for a date with your loved one or attending a party at your relatives or friend’s house with unbearable smelly armpits, how embarrassing it is? Smelly armpits or body odor will make you unable to hang out with your friends or socially inactive.
What is Body Odor?
Sweating is the natural ways of the body to regulate its temperature. When the sweat glands are overactive then the body (armpits) will produce excessive sweat and when this sweat mixes with bacteria (grows in warm & moist areas) then it emanates strong and unpleasant body odor.
So, an occasional body odor is quite normal but if there is an excessive or unpleasant body odor will make you feel embarrassed and discomfort to others.
Causes of Body Odor:
Other than over-active sweat glands, here are some other triggers causing body odor.
- Poor hygiene
- Intake of caffeinated or alcoholic or carbonated beverages
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Gastrointestinal disorders (constipation, indigestion)
- Hormonal imbalances
- Stress & anxiety
- Certain medications
- Underlying medical problems (diabetes, metabolic disorders, liver problem)
- Consuming spicy foods
- Hot weather
- Strenuous exercises
- Wearing tight clothes
One may experience an unusual, pungent smell that arises from the body along with excessive sweating, weight loss, cold hands and night sweats while suffering from body odor. instead of using the over the counter medicines or deodorants, why don’t you try some natural ways to get rid of body odor by controlling the growth of bacteria. Practice good hygiene along with these natural remedies to get quick relief from this body odor and enjoy your social life.
Home Remedies to get rid of Body Odor:
Usage of cosmetic deodorants or perfumes to prevent underarm odor for a long run will harm your skin. So, choose the below mentioned natural home remedies to get relief from the underarm odor without affecting your skin.
Here are some best remedies that help you in dealing with body odor by preventing the overactivity of your sweat glands. Let’s have a look at them and start using them regularly.
Remedy – 1: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda has an excellent remedy that absorbs moisture or sweat from the skin and thereby reduces body odor. It acts as antibacterial and pH balancer that helps to kill the bacteria causing foul smell from the body and also acts as a natural deodorant to prevent smelly armpits.
- Add equal quantities of baking soda and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Stir well and store this powder in an empty container.
- Apply it directly on the dry underarms (prefer after taking your bath) to prevent sweating and thereby bad odor.
- Continue this remedy regularly to get rid of body odor for several hours.
- Or simply stir well by adding 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and fresh lemon juice till it forms a fine paste. Apply it on the underarms and other body parts where you find excessive sweating. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and rinse the applied area with water or take your shower. Do it once daily.
- Alternatively, prepare baking soda paste by simply adding a little water in 1 tablespoon of baking soda to make a fine paste and apply it under the armpits after your shower to eradicate armpit odor.
Remedy – 2: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice with its rich content of vitamin C and acidic property helps to lower the skin’s pH levels by creating a hostile environment for the odor producing bacteria to survive and thereby gives relief from smelly armpits.
- Cut a fresh lemon into two halves.
- Take half a lemon and use it to rub on the underarms.
- Be sure that the lemon juice should get onto the skin while rubbing the lemon slice on the skin.
- After thorough application, let it sit to dry naturally to take your shower or bath.
- Repeat the same process for once daily until you get a complete relief from the body odor.
Note: If you’re having sensitive skin then dilute some fresh lemon juice in water before application on the underarms by using a cotton ball. Rinse off the area with water after 10 minutes. Do it once daily.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
The antibacterial, antimicrobial and pH balancer properties of apple cider vinegar (ACV) will help to kill the bacteria and other germs causing body odor. Regular follow up will eliminate the underarm odor by controlling the activity of sweat glands.
Have a look at some best ways of using ACV for underarm odor.
- Take a cotton ball and soak in ACV for a couple of minutes and use the ball to rub it all over the underarms. Leave for 3 – 5 minutes and take your bath. Continue this for twice daily – once in the morning and once at night before bedtime.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of raw, organic ACV and a little honey in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well to drink this mix for 2 – 3 times daily before consuming meals to control the body odor.
- Prepare a spray by filling it with equal quantities of ACV and water and use it to spray on your underarm to prevent excessive sweating and thereby bad odor.
Remedy – 4: (Rosemary)
Rosemary has the antibacterial property that inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria and thus clears body odor. The rich content of zinc in rosemary will help to prevent body odor why because its deficiency is one main cause of excessive sweating.
It has menthol and chlorophyll that exhibits natural deodorant properties to neutralize the body odor and also to provide a nice fragrance to get rid of underarm odor effectively.
- Take 1/2 cup of dried rosemary leaves and pour it in a pan filled with 4 cups of hot water.
- Cover and let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Use this water to mix in your bath water and stir well.
- Soak in this water for about 15 – 20 minutes and dry the skin gently.
- Continue doing the same process for once daily to make yourself smell nice for throughout the day.
- Or simply mix 8 – 10 drops of rosemary oil in 1 ounce of water and stir well to apply it on your armpits as a natural deodorant.
- If you find any irritation or discomfort upon applying rosemary then discontinue its usage.
Remedy – 5: (Sage)
Sage is another effective remedy used to combat body odor with its antibacterial property. It reduces the overactivity of sweat glands and thereby prevent the bacteria causing odor.
Here are a few ways of using sage to clear underarm odor.
- Prepare a natural deodorant by mixing 5 drops each of sage essential oil, lavender oil and coriander oil in 2 ounces of distilled witch hazel. Stir well and pour this solution into an empty spray bottle. Shake it and use it as your daily deodorant.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of dried sage in 4 cups of hot water. Cover and let it steep for about 10 minutes. After that, let it cool down and then use it to rinse your underarms. Continue doing this process for twice daily until you get relief from these smelly armpits.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried sage in 1 cup of hot water and allow it to steep for about 10 minutes. Finally, strain the tea and sip it slowly. But make sure that not to drink more than 2 cups this tea in a day.
- Also, use a diluted form of sage oil or tincture to prevent these smelly armpits.
Note: Sage should not be used by a pregnant or nursing women and children under 8 years.
Remedy – 6: (Tea Tree Oil)
The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil will help to kill the bacteria causing bad odor. It acts as natural astringent that helps to control the sweating by closing the skin pores.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil in 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) of water.
- Stir well and pour this solution into an empty spray bottle.
- Shake and use it to spray on the underarm areas as a deodorant.
- Use it regularly as you natural deodorant to get rid of smelly armpits and body odor.
- If you’re having sensitive skin then you must avoid the usage of tea tree oil, as it causes irritation, dryness, and redness on the skin upon application.
- Or use lavender oil or peppermint oil instead of tea tree oil for preparing spray to get rid of underarm odor.
Remedy – 7: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel is an excellent ingredient that helps in lowering the skin’s pH level and thereby creates a hostile environment for odor-causing bacteria to thrive or survive. The rich content of astringent property in witch hazel will contract the skin pores and thereby reduces the production of sweat.
- Take a clean cotton ball and soak it in witch hazel.
- Wring to remove excess solution and dab the ball under the arms.
- Continue the usage of this witch hazel, which acts as an antiperspirant to get rid of this underarm odor.
Note: Or mix some witch hazel leaves, tormentil root, oak bark, walnut leaves, and eucalyptus leaves. Stir well and mix 5 tablespoons of this mix in 2 liters of water. Let it boil for 5 – 7 minutes and allow it to cool down. Then add 1-liter of water and use it to take bath to get rid of smelly feet and armpits.
Remedy – 8: (Tomatoes)
Tomato helps to shrink skin pores to reduce sweating and also combat the action of bacteria causing odor with its excellent antibacterial and astringent properties.
- Take 7 – 9 ripe tomatoes and crush them gently to extract its juice.
- Mix this fresh tomato juice in your bath water and take your bath.
- Repeat the same for once daily to get control over your body odor.
Note: Or simply drink 1 – 2 glasses of fresh tomato juice daily to reduce your underarm or body odor.
Remedy – 9: (Turnips)
Turnip exhibits antibacterial property that helps a lot in killing the odor-causing bacteria. It also contains a great source of vitamin C and other essential nutrients that help you in combating the body odor.
- Take 2 – 3 turnips and cut it into small pieces.
- Pour these pieces into a blender and blend to make a fine paste.
- Extract the juice from this paste and apply this freshly extracted juice to your armpits and groin areas.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to dry naturally and then rinse the skin with lukewarm water.
- Continue this process in every morning to get relief from underarm or body odor for at least 10 hours.
- To grab its benefits, you can also include these turnips in your daily diet.
- Also, use radish to treat underarm odor by extracting the juice of 2 dozens of radish and add glycerin to it. Stir well and fill this in an empty spray bottle. Shake well and use it as your natural deodorant.
Remedy – 10: (Wheatgrass)
The rich content of chlorophyll in wheatgrass will make it as a natural deodorizer that helps to remove toxins and prevents bad odor emitted from the body.
- Stir 1 – 2 tablespoons of wheatgrass juice in 1 cup of water.
- Drink this wheatgrass water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Continue following this as your daily routine until you get rid of your body or armpit odor.
- Also, consume other foods which are rich in chlorophyll to get rid of toxins and thereby to prevent bad odor from your body.
- Some people may feel nauseated due to the strong taste of wheatgrass. So, if you can bear the taste and drink then continue or else follow other remedies for underarm odor.
Other Effective Remedies:
- To clear the dirty smell of underarms, you have to prepare a hydrogen peroxide solution by mixing 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in 1 cup of water and stir well. Dip a clean washcloth in this mix and apply it on your underarms to clear the bacteria creating an odor.
- Rose water acts as astringent that close the skin pores and deodorizes the area. So, apply some rosewater to your under armpits (or) pour few drops of rosewater in your bathtub for long-lasting freshness.
- Alum acts as a natural deodorant that helps to clear the bad smell from your body parts like armpits and groin areas. All you need is to pour some water in a piece of alum and use it to rub gently (use the blunt side of the alum piece) for some time. Leave it to dry naturally and repeat regularly.
- Sandalwood powder is an excellent natural ingredient that is known for its soothing aroma. So, apply a paste prepared by mixing some sandalwood powder with enough water (or rose water) on your armpits. Leave it till dries and rinse with clean water.
Tips and Precautions:
- Other than the above remedies, maintaining proper hygiene and consuming a healthy diet is essential for getting a quick relief from body odor and smelly armpits. Here are some tips and precautions that help you in clearing the body odor.
- Always opt for cotton clothing rather than synthetic fabrics which help you to avoid trapping moisture and sweat.
- Drink ample amounts of water to stay hydrated and to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Always keep yourself dry and clean as much as possible to prevent the attack of bacteria and thereby prevent body odor.
- Manage your stress and anger levels by performing yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercises and laughter therapy why because they make you sweat more and thereby results in body odor.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes and shoes for a longer time, as they make the skin area warm and moist and thereby attract bacteria to thrive and cause this body odor.
- Rubbing some alcohol on your armpits will help to stop the underarm perspiration and thereby odor. Or else rinse the area with alcohol mixed water to close the skin pores and reduce the smell.
- Take your bathe regularly with an antibacterial soap to prevent the buildup of bacteria or germs on the body and to make you feel fresh.
- Regularly change your clothes and wash them thoroughly to prevent this foul smell emitting from your body.
- The usage of natural talc powder (or baby powder) will help to prevent the moisture and thereby stop odor. So, apply powder to your armpits and groin areas after taking your bath and drying the skin thoroughly.
- Shave your armpits regularly to prevent the odor-causing bacteria and thereby bad smell. Also, stay in air-conditioned environments.
- Reduce the intake of certain foods like hot pepper, onion, fish, garlic, red meat, etc. will enhance the sweat glands and thus make it produce sweat.
- Lessen the intake of caffeinated and carbonated beverages and alcohol along with quit smoking.
All these remedies will help you in getting relief from the body odor but you need to maintain some physical hygiene along with consuming a well balanced healthy diet.
Do you know any other successful remedies for smelly armpits? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.