Gums reflect your oral health and having pinkish and healthy gums will make the overall appearance and smile beautiful. Dark or black gums will not only make us feel embarrassing but also leads to some oral problems.
Are you one among those people who are suffering from dark gums? Are those black patches giving you an unpleasing look? Then you’re at a right place where you can find some easy home remedies that help you to get rid of dark gums naturally.
Let’s know all about black gums and its solution in detail.
It is an assumption that dark gums can be a result of the melanin production which is deposited on the surface of the gums and thereby corrodes the natural pink colored gums. Other than this, it can also be triggered with improper oral care, smoking, intake of tobacco products or illicit drugs, gingivitis, certain health problems (like HIV Aids, Addison’s disease, PeutzJeghers disease, Von Recklinghausen disease, etc.), stress, heredity, usage of certain medications, dehydration or dry mouth, poor and imbalanced diet, production of plaque or tartar, restoring or extracting teeth, filling or dentures, etc.
Other than this, it can also be triggered with improper oral care, smoking, intake of tobacco products or illicit drugs, gingivitis, certain health problems (like HIV Aids, Addison’s disease, PeutzJeghers disease, Von Recklinghausen disease, etc.), stress, heredity, usage of certain medications, dehydration or dry mouth, poor and imbalanced diet, production of plaque or tartar, restoring or extracting teeth, filling or dentures, etc.
In general, people who are in field jobs and traveling under the sun for most of the time are more prone to get these dark gums. People with slightly dark or black complexion will naturally inherit dark gums on the teeth’s surface but they do have pink gums at the bottom.
How to avoid Dark Gums:
If you’re suffering from any of the above-mentioned health problems then it is hard to solve this problem but following the below mentioned amazing ways will help you in fighting this problem and enhance your self-confidence.
- Brush your teeth for twice daily without any fail. If you’re not then there is a chance of getting dark gums and thereby deteriorate the facial beauty. For best results, follow proper brushing technique without harsh or abrasive on the teeth but have some gentle strokes on the corners of the mouth.
- Do you know that regular flossing will help you to get rid of several teeth related problems and keep your teeth and gums healthy? So, floss your teeth regularly but in the initial days, you may experience teeth bleeding. Regular follow up will stop bleeding and strengthen your teeth and gums.
- Cut Down the Carbonated, Caffeinated Beverages & Alcohol Consumption – It is quite common to have carbonated or aerated beverages (contains several carbon-related particles) (or) alcoholic drinks (contains ethanol) that damage your kidney or liver damage and thereby darken your gums. So, avoid drinking any alcoholic or carbonated beverages.
- Stop the usage of tobacco & tobacco products, as it not only harms your body, lungs, mouth but also causes some terrific dangerous disease, including dark gums. So, quit smoking and chewing tobacco for pink gums and fresh breath.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of the Black or Dark Gums:
Here are some of the best natural remedies that are available at home that will help you in getting rid of the black gums and provides healthy gums. A healthy diet, proper oral care, and these home remedies will definitely help you in getting rid of the problem.
Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Green Tea)
The rich content of antioxidants in green tea makes it as an elixir of the health care. Everyone knows that green tea helps a lot in treating numerous health and beauty problems. In this case, green tea acts as an effective tool in reducing the darkening of gums by clearing bacteria or other impurities inside the mouth, which may cause periodontal issues.
It also reduces the inflammation of the gums and improves the health of your gums. So, drink 1 cup of green tea for twice daily (once in the morning and once in the evening) to enhance stronger teeth and healthy pink gums.
Remedy – 2: (Sesame Oil)
The toxin remover property of sesame oil will help to lessen the buildup of plaque and tartar and thereby reduces the gums from weakening, darkening and receding. The oil will form a protective layer on the gums and thus prevent them from dental decay.
- Take 1/4 cup of sesame oil and use it to swish your mouth.
- Continue to swish it well for few minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- For best results, use lukewarm oil to absorb the plaque and toxin content from the gums.
- Regular follow up of this oil swishing for twice a week to get rid of black gums and to enhance your oral health.
Note: Or perform coconut oil pulling for 15 – 20 minutes in the morning before brushing to turn the dark gums into healthy pink gums.
Remedy – 3: (Lemon Oil)
Lemon oil has an excellent source of antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help you in getting rid of the bacterial infection and cleansing the teeth and gums effectively. It also promotes the tissue formation to replace the damaged one.
Always remember that the direct application of lemon oil is not recommended for oral care, as it results in enamel corrosion. Here is a process that explains you on how to use lemon for black gums.
- Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice in olive oil and blend them well.
- Blend well and let it sit for few weeks to prepare lemon oil.
- Then use this oil to swish your mouth daily in the morning to promote your oral health.
Remedy – 4: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the microbes and bacterial infection on the teeth and gums to prevent the gum from receding.
- Extract aloe vera gel freshly from the aloe leaf.
- Apply this gel on the teeth and start brushing your teeth.
- Make sure to spread the gel to all over the teeth and gums.
- Brush for a couple of minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat the same regularly for once or twice a week to heal infections and prevent receding of the gums.
Remedy – 5: (Eucalyptus Oil)
Eucalyptus essential oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that kill the germs from the mouth, removes the food particles and reduce the gum swelling. It effectively reduces the gum diseases and tooth decay.
- Dilute few drops of eucalyptus oil in water (or in coconut oil or sesame oil) by stirring well.
- Use this oil mix to massage your gums for few minutes.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes and rinse off with water to promote the tissue growth.
- Repeat the same application of oil mix on the gums to make it shine with pink and healthy.
Remedy – 6: (Clove)
The antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties of clove will help to improve your oral care. It stimulates the growth and repairs the damaged tissues.
- Take some clove oil and apply it on the gums.
- Massage gently on the teeth and gums for a couple of minutes.
- Let it sit for another few minutes and rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Repeat the application of clove oil daily until you noticed improved gums.
Remedy – 7: (Black Tea Bags)
Black tea has the property to clear microbes and reduce the inflammation or swelling of the gums. Applying black tea bags all over the black gums (or) drinking will help to get rid of black gums.
- Boil 1 cup of water and place 1 black tea bag in it.
- Steep for few minutes and allow the tea bag cool down to warm.
- Then apply this tea bag all over the gums and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Repeat the same process regularly until you notice the improvement.
Remedy – 8: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil prevents gum receding and root damage with its strong antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Never apply tea tree oil diluting on the skin, as it causes irritation and burning sensation on the skin. Also, don’t consume this oil, as it may result in many side effects.
- Dilute few drops of tea tree oil in water by stirring well.
- Use this oil water to swish your mouth.
- Wash your mouth with water to clear the germs, reduce plaque on the teeth and prevent darkness and receding of gums.
- Follow it regularly for best and quick results.
Remedy – 9: (Sage Leaves)
Sage leaves are another amazing remedy that works as a tonic of gums and clears the mucous membrane. It protects the gums and promotes healthy pink color.
You can either extract the juice of sage leaves (or) prepare tea with the leaves (or) prepare a decoction by boiling leaves in water (to rinse mouth) and apply it on the teeth and gums. Rinse off the mouth effectively to get rid of the dark gums.
Remedy – 10: (Rose Vinegar)
Rose vinegar helps to strengthen the gums and makes it healthy and pink.
- Take 3 ounces of rose petals and soak them in red wine vinegar.
- Let it steep for a week and strain it by using a strainer or a thin cloth.
- Then take 1 tablespoon of this rose vinegar and mix it in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and use this to rinse your mouth daily until you get pink and healthy gums.
Tips and Precautions:
Here are some best tips and precautions which you have to follow them regularly to improve the oral hygiene and to maintain pink gums instead of dark or black gums.
- Make sure to consult your dentist or oral care specialist to get regular checkups & cleanups and to get rid of oral problems causing dark or black gums.
- Gargle with a mouthwash or lukewarm salt water for twice daily will help to clear the bacterial or microbial actions and also removes the food particles and other impurities to get rid of dark gums.
- Consume a healthy and nutritious rich diet that contains all the essential vitamins and minerals to enhance healthy gums and thereby achieve complete oral care.
- Stress is another cause for darkening gums. So, reduce your stress levels by performing yoga, meditation, regular exercises and sound sleep.
- If you’re suffering from any oral infections, dead tissues in gums, ulcerative gingivitis, internal bleeding, malignant melanoma, black gum disease, HIV/AIDS, etc. then make sure to consult your doctor immediately for medication to treat these problems.
- In severe cases, oxygen therapy is advised to treat black gums and make it healthy pink gums. So, ask your dentist about this therapy in detail before going for this option.
- Choose the right toothpaste and toothbrush (prefer a brush with a soft bristle or electric brush) that are specifically designed to improve the gums. Also, brush your teeth before two meals, as dentists suggest us to brush your teeth before meals rather than after meals to remove the plaque and microbes other than food particles.
- You can also use other effective remedies like myrrh (as tooth powder), sumac tree (tooth brush by peeling the outer bark of the twigs), yarrow (rub either flowers or leaves on the teeth), salt (rub or use as a gargle) to prevent dark or black gums.
- The best way to brush your teeth is to divide the teeth into 4 quadrants and spend 30 seconds time for brushing every quadrant for a total of 2 minutes. Also, never ever brush your teeth in a hurry or fast, as it won’t remove the impurities and thereby results in darkening the gums.
- It’s best to use a mouthwash to clean up the entire mouth, including teeth and gums and to clean your tongue and prevent bad breath. Avoid the use of mouthwashes that made with alcohol content why because they dry out your skin. Also, never use a mouthwash immediately after brushing; use it before brushing or 1 hour after brushing for effective results.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids to stay hydrated and to clean your mouth thoroughly. Also, consume foods that are rich in calcium (like orange juice, broccoli, yogurt, cheese as teeth whitener), vitamin D (sunlight), vitamin B (protect gums and teeth), copper, iron, zinc & potassium in your diet for overall healthy diet.
Healthy and pink gums will enhance the beauty of your face with a charming smile. Follow these remedies and tips regularly to clear dark or black gums.
Do you know any other successful natural remedies to get rid of dark or black gums? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.