Black eyes are a common complaint faced by the people those who met with an accidents, allergic reactions, cosmetic surgery, nasal and face injuries, skin infection, dental problems, bug bites, etc. in which the blood pools around the affected area (especially eye area) and turns the skin color from red, purple and black.
A blow to the face, nose or any other parts around the eye will result in the collection of the blood and other fluids around your eyes that appears as black eyes. Pain and swelling around the eye area, blurry vision, headaches, inability to move the eyes, etc. are some of the symptoms of black eyes.
Be sure to consult your doctor if you’re suffering from symptoms like vomiting, nausea, dizziness or vision problems along with any cut around the eye area for proper diagnose and treatment.
Here we are going to know about some natural home remedies that reduce pain, swelling, and black eye effectively.
Remedy – 1: (Cold and Warm Compress)
This is the first and foremost thing to be done after you’re injured with black eyes.
Applying icy-cold compress on the injured skin will constrict the blood vessels and thus prevents internal bleeding. It also numbs the area to reduce the pain and swelling along with speeding the healing process.
On the 2nd day, apply a warm compress which increases blood circulation into the damaged blood vessels and thus heals your black eyes.
- Firstly, wrap some ice cubes in a clean cotton cloth and hold this cloth over the affected eye for 10 minutes.
- Then take a break of few minutes and then continue applying this ice pack for few times a day during the first 36 hours.
- Then after go for a warm compress prepared by dipping a clean cloth in warm water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place this warm cloth on the affected eye till the cloth becomes cool.
- If you’re not getting any pain, then massage the area gently to improve the blood circulation and also to remove the dried blood that accumulated under the skin.
- Do the same process for several times a day till you get relief from the problem.
- Or you can use a pack of frozen vegetables or chilled metal spoon instead of ice pack but don’t use beefsteaks or raw meat on the black eyes, as it results in getting an infection.
- Never wash your eye with hot water or use a heating pad on the black eye, as it damages the injured skin and eye.
- Avoid applying ice directly on the skin, as it damages your skin’s tissues.
Remedy – 2: (Comfrey Root)
Comfrey root herb has small organic molecule allantoin that stimulates the cell growth and repairs the affected skin area. It is also effective in reducing the pain and inflammation.
- Crush 1 teaspoon of comfrey root with 1/2 teaspoon of water and mix it to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and rinse off after 5 minutes.
- Continue doing the same process for once daily till you get relief from the black eyes.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon of comfrey root herb in 1 glass of water and boil it and strain the mix to cool down. Then dip a clean cloth in this water and apply it on your black eye to get rid of this problem.
- Never ever ingest comfrey root (or) use it for a longer time, as it is toxic to the skin.
Remedy – 3: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel reduces the pain and inflammation by tightening the veins. It also refreshes the tired eyes and widely used to cure bruises, sores, and swelling.
- Mix 10 drops of witch hazel extract in 100 ml of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mix and squeeze it remove excess solution.
- Place the ball on the affected black eye and rinse off with water after 5 – 7 minutes.
- Regular application of this mix for 2 – 3 times daily will help you to get relief from the black eye.
Note: Or mix witch hazel with chamomile essential oil and water and do the same process as above.
Remedy – 4: (Arnica)
Arnica is an herbal remedy that widely used to treat strains, bruises, swelling, sprains, muscle soreness and inflammation. It fights off the infection and eliminates congested blood and fluids causing inflammation.
- Mix 1 ounce of dried arnica herb to 1 cup of olive oil and pour in a container.
- Keep it aside for 6 weeks but be sure to shake the jar daily.
- After that, strain the oil and pour this mix into a double boiler.
- Warm it to add 1 ½ ounce of beeswax and stir continuously till it melts.
- Then add few drops of wintergreen essential oil and warm it for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Now pour this arnica salve into a storage container and wait till it cools down.
- Apply this salve on the affected area for 2 – 3 times daily till you notice desirable results.
Note: Children, pregnant and nursing women should not use this arnica, as it may harm to their skin and health.
Remedy – 5: (Diet Plan)
Planning your diet properly as per your health problem, which you’re facing will help to give quick relief from the problem and keeps you healthy.
- Intake of vitamin C rich foods will help to thicken the walls of blood vessels ad produces collagen to prevent it from bleeding. Also, the deficiency of vitamin C will cause black eyes. So, consume vitamin C rich foods like Indian gooseberries, lemon, oranges, kale, broccoli, papaya, berries, chili pepper, kiwi, mango, guava, etc.
- Vitamin K has antioxidants that accelerate blood circulation, reduces pigmentation and thus repairs the damaged capillaries and blood vessels to prevent black eye. So, consume vitamin K rich foods like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, prunes, asparagus, paprika, spring onions, dark leafy vegetables like cress, mustard, kale, spinach, mustard greens, beet greens, lettuce, etc.
- Both papaya and pineapple have an enzyme called bromelain that helps to reduce the inflammation and swelling. They are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that reduce black eye problem. So, consume these fresh fruits or apply it on the affected skin.
- Drink plenty of water to increase blood circulation and to remove toxins from the affected areas.
Tips and Precautions:
- Elevate your head (especially at the first signs of the black eye) to limit the blood flow to the sensitive eye area and thus prevents swelling. So, use an extra pillow while sleeping and also avoid looking down while sitting or standing.
- Applying potato (or cucumber) juice or its cold slices on the affected eye will reduce swelling and pain.
- Massaging the affected area with some natural oils like olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, almond oil, etc. using gentle pressure will improve blood circulation and cures black eye.
- Refrigerate calendula flowers tea and soak a clean cloth in this mix. Place it on your eyes for about 5 – 7 minutes. Do it several times daily for faster relief from black eyes.
- Avoid putting pressure or rubbing on the eyes, as it results in worsening your problem.
- Get a sound sleep of about 7 – 9 hours per day which helps you to relieve stress, relax your tired eyes and to heal the problem.
- Take some preventive steps like wearing goggles, seat belts or helmets while in driving.
Stop worrying about black eyes and start using these natural remedies to get relief from the problem. Let me know if you have any queries regarding these black eyes.