Flossing is an important part of oral hygiene but as per recent statistics, 35% of US population never or rarely practice it. (1) A study was conducted to know the exact reason why people were hated the traditional dental string floss. As per it, some of the common reasons include…
- They were not aware of how to floss the right way.
- It’s time consuming.
- Felt tricky, fussy and difficult.
- Hurts gum and leads to bleeding.
- Gets stuck in the teeth.
- Floss wraps too tightly around the fingers which hurts.
If you couldn’t make traditional flossing a habit due to any reason mentioned above, then you can now depend on the safer and effective alternative of it – “Water Flossers”.
As a study conducted at University of Nebraska and other clinical studies, a water flosser was efficient in…
- Reducing gingival bleeding by 93%.
- Reducing gum diseases by more than 50%.
- Removing plague by 29% more than dental floss.
Isn’t that amazing! With water flossers, you can now address all the oral issues by making the flossing process easier and gentler on teeth.
The market is filled with so many choices when it comes to water flossers. We recommend reading our Buying Guide and other information provided in the article to make an informed choice.
However, if you haven’t got much time then you go with the products picked by our experts. They have spent almost 80 hours on research and testing for choosing the best products just for you.
Editor’s List of Best Water flossers (2020)
|Water Flossers||Pressure Settings||Tips||Buy Now|
|WaterPik WP-660 Aquarius||10||7||Check the Price|
|Panasonic EW1211A||3||2||Check the Price|
|ShowerBreeze||Knob||2||Check the Price|
|Waterpik Ultra||10||6||Check the Price|
|H20flos||5||12||Check the Price|
|Gurin Professional||3||2||Check the Price|
|Panasonic EW-DJ10-A||2||1||Check the Price|
As per Editor’s Choice: WaterPik WP-660 is the highly recommended one. It deserves this place as it has 10 pressure settings, accepted by ADA, and several other beneficial properties.
Detailed Review of Each Water Flosser from the List
WaterPik WP-660 is one of the popular water flossers and our editor’s most recommended product. This device is also accepted by the American Dental Association (ADA). It is a perfect oral irrigator for people having implants, periodontal pockets, braces and crowns.
It has a superior oral irrigation technology which provides deep cleaning with a unique combination of dental water jet pressure pulsations. It helps in removing debris, bacteria between the teeth and below gum line where a traditional string floss cannot reach.
Its control panel includes pressure control settings, water on/off switch, push-button power. 1 minute timer and 30 second pacer settings are also available.
7 different tips are included with this device. The classic jet tip (3 types) is provided for general flossing usage. The toothbrush tip provides the convenience of brushing and flossing at a time. The plague seeker tip removes bacteria and debris from hard to reach places and around dental restorations. The orthodontic tip is specially designed to remove plague developing under the wires and brackets. The Pik Pocket tip will rinses deep below the gum lines to maintain good oral health.
Things We Liked:
- Accepted by ADA (American Dental Association).
- Perfect for anyone with implants, braces, and crowns.
- 7 Tips included.
- 3 years warranty.
- Superior oral irrigation technology.
- 10 pressure settings.
- 90 seconds of water capacity.
Things we didn’t like:
- New users may take time to learn the operation.
Second on the list comes the dental oral irrigator from Panasonic. It is very easy to use and convenient to carry around. As it is portable, it is perfect for regular travelers.
The powerful jets will remove the plague, tartar and deeply clean the teeth in places where a toothbrush cannot reach. It has two pressure settings which can be used for everyday cleaning and sensitive gums.
This dental water flosser is 100% waterproof and compact so you can carry it wherever you travel. Its small-foot print design will not take much counter space. Its collapsible structure makes it easy to fit in bags and luggage.
Unlike traditional water flosser, this device generates rapid, targeted jets of water to remove food particles, bacteria, and plague thoroughly. It operates at 1,400 water pulses per minute which irrigates food particles stuck below the gum line and improves blood circulation.
It has 2 pulse rate settings that include high-speed pulse (1,440 PPM) and lower speed pulse (1,000 PPM). This speed provides safe, effective and thorough cleaning without hurting crowns, braces, implants, veneers and bridges.
Things We Liked:
- Three flosser pressure settings.
- 100% waterproof, cordless design.
- 2 flosser nozzles.
- Easy-fill water reservoir.
- 2 pulse rate speed settings.
- High powered pulses for gentle effective cleaning.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- If battery dies you have to replace the whole thing.
This faucet/shower water flosser has been reviewed by many customers as the most effective one in terms of removing plague, functionality and ease of use. It is designed such that it can be easily attached to any shower head.
ShowerBreeze doesn’t require batteries and electricity so you don’t have to worry about voltage compatible. Using the diverter knob, the pressure can be adjusted as per your comfortability. The valve will adjust the water stream in the irrigator and shower.
It is made up of strong and durable chrome plated brass which makes it completely durable. The hose and tips are made up of polypropylene and other materials which approved by National Sanitation Foundation. The hose is available in two different lengths: 3ft. and 6ft. The two tips will come in different colors: red and blue. So, you can easily differentiate which one is yours.
Things We Liked:
- Very easy to install.
- Powerful stream while flossing.
- Excellent customer support.
- Veteran Owned and Operated Company.
- Made in America.
- No risk of bacterial growth.
Things We didn’t Like:
- Need to push the handle so that it will spin around.
When it comes to flossing, Waterpik Ultra is known to be 93% more effective and ultimate in water flossing performance. It uses pressurized water in order to remove bacteria, plague present in between the teeth and below the gum line.
It comes with 6 color-coded tips which provide a personalized experience. 2 classic jet tips are great for any use. The toothbrush tip can be used for flossing and brushing simultaneously. The plague seeker tip is specialized for removing plague in hard-to-reach places. It is perfect for people with implants, crowns and braces. The orthodontic tip is efficient in removing plague buildup around the braces and wires. For more focused pressures, you can use pik pocket tip.
The Ultra version of waterpik has 10 different pressure settings which provide a totally customized cleaning experience. It is not battery operated, so you have to plug it into socket for operation. This premium dental water jet has an improved design, preferred by most of the dentists and clinically proven to be effective.
Things We Liked:
- 10 pressure water settings.
- Improved ergonomic design.
- 1,200 pulses per minute.
- 3 times more effective.
- 6 color coded tips.
- Removes debris and bacteria between teeth and below gum line.
- Recommended for people with implants, orthodontics, and braces.
Things We didn’t like:
- A bit expensive.
- Too noisy.
Next from the list comes low-end yet reliable water flosser. This device has water holding capacity of 800ml. So, you can enjoy almost 3 minutes of uninterrupted water flossing.
The device includes 12 multifunctional tips so you can use and share with your entire family. The 12 tips include: 4 jet pieces, 2 periodontal, 2 orthodontic, 2 tongue cleaning, 1 water spray nasal and 1 water column piece.
It has 5 pressure settings, from Low to high and 1 pause setting on the handle. The user can set up the pressure as per their comfort and stop it as required. The water holding capacity is 800ml which can last 150 seconds per tank of water. The cover of it keeps the water reservoir dust-proof.
Things We Liked:
- Extremely quiet design.
- 100% waterproof.
- 12 multifunctional tips.
- 1200 pulses per minute frequently.
- Affordably priced.
- Longer usage duration.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Voltage is not universal.
This water flosser is a perfect combination of convenience and durability. It is light in weight and completely waterproof. As its lithium ion battery is rechargeable, this device will last as long as possible.
If you recharge it for full night then it will last for almost many weeks even if you use continuously. It reduces the flossing time almost by half than regular traditional string flossing. As per many clinical results, Gurin Professional Oral Irrigator is 5 times more effective than traditional flossing types.
As it has a handy design and very thin tip, so it can be used in every corner of the mouth. With a powerful impact of water flossing, you can remove debris and other impurities 3 times more effective even in hard places like around the braces, implants and others.
With the device, you will get 3 convenient usage modes and 2 interchangeable jet tips which can be used for multiple uses. Its rear contains a water tank which is easy to fill. As the water tank is covered with a transparent material, so you can see the water level and prevent water spillage.
Things We Liked:
- Rechargeable lithium ion.
- 5 times more effective than normal string flossing.
- 360 degree rotary tips.
- FDA approved.
- Light in weight and waterproof design.
- Dentist recommended.
Things We Didn’t Like:
- The oversized handle will not work for people suffering from arthritis and other gripping issues.
When it comes to travel friendly water flossers, this device is one of the smallest one available in the market. It can easily be collapsed into half of its size because water tank doubles as a carry case.
The hinged cap doesn’t let the water from leaking even the reservoir is completely full. There are 2 pressure settings that include: low pressure and high pressure. If you have sensitive gums then low pressure can be the best option.
Only one flosser tip is provided with the device so only single person can use it. The nozzle tip is made from clear plastic but it is not see through. So, you have to rinse it thoroughly after each use because you will not be able to tell if the grime or mold is stuck inside the nozzle.
The tip has to be replaced once in every 6 months and you can buy them online which are sold in packs of two. By flossing at 1,400 water pulses per minute, it will penetrate deep between teeth to wash away the debris, plaque and bacteria where traditional floss can’t always reach.
Things We Like:
- 1,400 water pulses per minute.
- 5 ounce water tank.
- Portable, compact and travel friendly.
- 100% waterproof.
- Dual-speed pulse for enhanced dental care.
- Quick and easy cleaning.
- Cordless power flosser with two speed setting.
- The batteries space is difficult to open and close.
What is Electric Water Flosser?
This device is an oral hygiene product and it also known as electric flosser or water flosser. Through a nozzle, this flosser pushes mouthwash or water into mouth at a certain pressure. This pressure will wash away the plaque, bacteria, debris that resides along the gum line and on the teeth. This is considered as an alternative to the conventional flossing process.
Does Water Flossing Help to Improve Oral Health?
As per American Dental Association, flossing daily is an important part of the maintaining good oral health. Actually, the plaque on the teeth has over 500 different types of bacteria species. Unfortunately, brushing is not enough to deal with them.
Flossing regularly helps to remove the plaque and food debris trapped in between the teeth and gum lines. This helps in preventing tooth decay, cavities and even tooth loss. As per several clinical studies, flossing helps to fight off the gingivitis and other forms of gum diseases. Flossing daily helps to prolong the healthy smile and overall oral health for years to come.
The Working Principle of Water Flosser
The water flosser contains 2 main parts – water tank/reservoir and pump. The tank will be visible and easily accessible. The pump is actually situated inside the flosser unit. When the water flosser is switched on, the pump will draw the water from tank through the connecting tubes to the nozzle. The nozzle flosser delivers stream of water at a certain high pressure into the mouth.
The stream of water can either switched on or off, delivered at low or high pressures and different angles for a more effective results. For best flossing effect, we recommend filling the tank with lukewarm water, though cold is fine. You can also add a splash of mouthwash in the water tank for potential health benefits and added freshness.
Different Types of Water Flosser
Actually, electric flossers come in different sizes, shapes and designs. Some of them can be portable or mounted. Some can be cordless or need mains power. Based on all these, water flossers are categorized into different types that include – cordless and corded.
1. Countertop or Corded
Compared to others, this type has more features. As the name implies, it sits on countertop which makes it less portable. And moreover it requires mains power for functioning. Some of its features include large water reservoir (multiple or longer one time use), accessories, extra power settings and others. This type of flossers are more capable and effective. To give you a clear idea, this flosser takes up space similar to a kettle in the kitchen.
2. Portable or Cordless
This type of water flosser is powered by batteries. When compared to corded ones, they are typically smaller and suitable for one-handed use. These flossers are perfect for people who travel a lot as they don’t require electricity or power cable. It has an in-built water tank which means that you will use less water or time. However, there will be less control on the water flow power.
3. Faucet/Shower Water Flosser
If you don’t like refilling the water tanks then this option will be your best choice. This device has to be connected directly to the faucet or shower system. It is better to have dedicated facet exclusively for the device. Or else you will have to install it repeatedly whenever you want.
How to Choose an Electric Water Flosser
While selecting a water flosser, you have to consider certain tips which have explained in detail below…
1. Portable or Spacing
The most initial consideration when choosing a water flosser is why you need it and where you will place it. There are two types of water flossers – portable and countertop. A portable water flosser doesn’t require any power outlet as it works on batteries. They are suitable for people who travel a lot or for those who don’t have power outlet in the bathroom. Apart from that, portable water flossers take very less storage space. So, if you have limited countertop space then these are better options. Countertop water flossers should be connected to power outlet for working and they are not feasible for travelers. However they have many features than portable ones. So, it is best to choose based on your requirements.
2. Tank or Reservoir of the Flosser
Portable water flossers have a small water tank which has to be refilled after one or two flossing sessions. So, you may have to refill it regularly whenever you use it which can be a bit awkward. A traditional water flosser (countertop) ones have a large reservoir with great water storing capacity. So, it helps you get multiple cleans without refilling it or running out of water.
Based on water capacity, we have provided the flossing time…
|Water Capacity||Flossing Time|
|150 ml||30+ seconds|
|210 ml||45+ seconds|
|450 ml||60+ seconds|
|650 – 1000 ml||90+ seconds|
3. Adjustable Pressure Settings
If your gums and teeth are sensitive or else if you have braces then it is better to look for a water flosser which has several pressure settings. Some of the well-known and expensive brands have up to 10 pressure settings. Countertop water flossers usually have a wide range of pressure settings (soft to harder). If measured in bar, the pressure can be anywhere between 2 – 10 settings that ranges from .68 – 6.89 bar. Portable flossers have different pressure settings too but usually most of them are either high or low, typically measuring from 3.1 to 5.2 bar.
4. Wide Range of Tips
Buying a separate water flosser for every member in the family can be expensive. So, choose a product that has different tips so you can use the tip based on the dental conditions. Each tip has different cleaning capabilities. We have mentioned them below for your information…
- Classic Jet Tip – This one is pretty standard that is suitable for everyday use. It helps in deep cleaning between the teeth and below the gumline. It also helps in preventing gum diseases and improve the oral health.
- Plaque Seeker Tip – This tip is helpful in removing the plaque even in hard to reach places and all dental works. This tip has 3 thin tufts of bristles which gently access tuff plaque around bridges, dental implants and veneers.
- Tongue Cleaner Tip – It looks like a spoon-like shape of tongue cleaner which will effectively trap and remove the plaque and bacteria to prevent bad breath.
- Pik Pocket Tip – It is specially designed to push water or antibacterial solution into periodontal pockets as recommended by any dental professional.
- Orthodontic Tip – This tip has a tapered brush on its end which helps to remove the plaque from orthodontics and braces. This also helps to flush out the food debris and bacteria around the teeth and under the gums.
- Toothbrush Tip – It is very similar to a manual toothbrush (not electric or sonic). It can be attached to the water flosser handle which allows you to manually brush the teeth as you floss.
5. Adjustability and Rotatable
Usually, the neck of the plastic nozzle will not be adjustable. The plastic body of the nozzle tube will be set during the manufacturing process. However, some models have the feature to rotate the nozzle head for adjusting the angle or position which allows you to target certain spots in the mouth. Usually, the nozzle often rotates 360 degree like wheel style adjustment.
6. BPA Free
BPA is an industrial chemical used to make different plastic products but it is proven to be hazardous to our health. It is directly linked to reproductive disorders, heart diseases and impaired brain functionality. As many water flossers are made out of plastic and have plastic reservoirs, it is better to make sure they are BPA free.
As they use electricity or operate on battery, it is common to generate some noise. Make sure the water flosser you are planning to buy produces relatively less noise so that it doesn’t disturb people around you.
Choose a model with a built-in timer just like an electric toothbrush which helps to make sure you take equal amount of time to floss in different parts of the mouth. Usually, 1 minute is recommended flossing time.
9. Removable Battery
Countertop oral irrigators are powerful option but if you are looking for portable options then look out for removable battery options if you are using it daily. Make sure to also check out how long the battery will last and how quickly it gets recharged.
Everyone wants to get more than what you pay for. Electric water flossers come at different price range. You can spend money based on your budget or features you want in a water flosser.
Some water flossers comes in varied color options. However, the choice is limited. So, it is better to prioritize the features.
12. Approved by FDA
There are several options present in the market. Out of them, some are approved by FDA and some of them are not. Though they don’t have any potential risks, FDA approval is not so much necessary. However, if you are worried then FDA approved water flosser can be good enough.
Having a longer battery is always better. This one is true with every device including a water flosser. As you are investing in a health equipment, you should be aware of what you are getting or what isn’t. Having a warranty helps to either replace or repair the device if it turns out faulty.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Water Flossers
Just like any other device or equipment, water flosser also have their own advantages and disadvantages. These points may or may not be applicable for all users. Usually, oral irrigators market them based on comfort and convenience. These are main reasons many people are convinced to use these devices. However, there is clinical evidence that is beneficial in maintaining proper oral health.
According to us, here are main positives and negatives when it comes to using a water flosser.
Advantages of Using Water Flosser
- Easy Operation: When compared to string dental floss and interdental brushes, water flossers are very simple and enjoyable to use. You don’t have to trick your hand to reach the gaps in teeth and mouth with water flosser.
- Comfort: They have unique features – adjustability and angled tips. These features make the experience of using a water flosser more comfortable and less painful. As the approach is very gentle, bleeding is much less and moreover it works perfectly with sensitive gums.
- Speed: It is much quicker than regular flossing, once you perfect the technique.
- Improved Cleaning Experience: The pressured water will reach even the most hard to reach gaps between the teeth and gum line (where traditional floss may not reach) to flush out any food particles or bacteria.
- One Solution for Many Jobs: You may be using both dental floss and interdental brushes for maintaining complete oral health. But a water flosser is one single replacement for all these instruments.
- Good For Braced Teeth: As water flosser can reach even the most hard to reach areas, it is perfect for people with braces.
- Handiness: If you are issues with dexterity then a flosser can be very helpful in terms of interdental cleaning process as this device has amazing features like ergonomic design and electronic assistance.
Disadvantages of Using a Water Flosser
- Price: When compared to packet of string dental floss, this device is much expensive and less portable. However, if you consider lifetime value then over time cost is significantly less when compared purchasing reel floss every time.
- Portability: Though there are many cordless options, water flossers can be a little unnecessary item or waste of shelf space, especially when you have to pack it in a weekend travel bag.
- Power: Some of the water flossers require mains power to work which can limit the positioning. However, if you don’t have mains power then bathroom then cordless options are best alternative.
- Technique: Initially, using this device can be a little confusing but after using it for a couple of time you can perfect the method.
- Effectiveness: As per some of them, floss scrapes and plaque sticks are much effective than electric water flosser.
How Can I Know Which Flosser is Right for Me?
Having so many tips can be confusing which one to choose. It becomes especially tricky when you don’t know which tip you have to use and what is it good at. So, we have provided information below for your reference…
Tips and their capabilities
- Regular Tip – Also known as General or Jet Tip. It is best for daily flossing, rinsing teeth between brushing gently and removing unwanted food and plaque trapped between the teeth.
- Orthodontic Tip – This one is best for permanent retainers, braces and brackets.
- Restorative Tip – Also known as plaque fighting tip. It is best suited for cleaning the plaque, bacteria and debris trapped in brackets, braces and permanent retainers.
- Periodontal Tip – They are best suited for periodontal pockets and below gumline cleaning.
- Toothbrush Tip – This is helpful in combining the benefits of brushing with water flossing.
- Tongue-Cleaning Up Tip – As the name suggests, it helps in removing the bacteria and debris on the tongue.
- Nasal Tip – It helps in flushing the nasal passages that are stuffed up with common cold, allergies and cold.
Which One to Choose – Water Flossing Vs Traditional String Flossing
1. No more Pain and Better Cleaning
Flossing is very important for maintaining proper oral health. However, traditional floss hurts and confusing to perform as well. This is the reason why so many people avoid flossing. And moreover sore and bleeding gums are another major problem with traditional floss. However, electric flossing is the best one as they don’t lead to any issues like pain, bleeding, soreness and others. They can be customized based up on your teeth and gum sensitivity level. So, people can easily adapt a daily flossing routine.
2. Saves Time
In this fast paced age, no one has got time to spare more time in flossing. Time has become more valuable than ever. Traditional flossing takes more time like 5 – 10 minutes but electric ones does the job in just 2 minutes.
3. Exception Cleaning
No matter how much you try, the traditional dental string floss doesn’t reach some places. Sometimes, the floss string can get tangled and moreover cleaning around the new crown. Luckily, water flossing is an easy process to clean and maintain the oral health.
If you don’t like flossing with a string then water flosser is the best alternative. When it comes to best water flosser, “Waterpik” completely dominates the other products. From a variety of pressure settings to replacement parts, it is perfect for complete dental hygiene.
If you are a regular traveler then “Panasonic EW-DJ10-A” is the ideal choice as it is reliant and works on AA batteries.
Which one do you choose? Share your queries and experience in the comments section below. Our expert team will clarify your questions as early as possible.