Humidity levels have a major impact on your family’s health, especially if they are prone to allergies or asthma.
According to medical professionals, humidity levels ranging between 30% – 50% are considered to be ideal. If the levels go down below 30% then the air will be too dry and if it increases above 50% then it is too high.
Too high or too low humidity levels can trigger an asthma or worsen its symptoms.
Especially during the winters, humidity levels drop drastically as the air holds very less moisture. When a person breathes dry air, the mucus lining present in the airways evaporates much faster than the time taken for its replacement. This results in swollen and irritated airways triggering asthma or respiratory suffocation.
This problem can be solved by a humidifier as it adds moisture into the surrounding air, making it easy to breath for asthma or allergy sufferers.
Which one to Choose? Cool Mist or Warm Mist?
Basically, there are two types of humidifiers: cool mist and warm mist. When it comes to providing relief from asthma and allergies, both of them are equally effective. Because when the air reaches the lower airways, the temperature of it will be same regardless of whether it was cool or warm.
Are you confused? If you have kids around then go with a cool mist humidifier. If breathing warm air is not causing any discomfort then choose warm mist humidifier or else you can purchase cool mist.
Quick Note: Further, you can consider the factors mentioned in our “Buying Guide” while selecting a humidifier. It helps you filter the best one among the several options available in the market.
If you haven’t go much time for a lengthy explanation, then choose from the list of Best Hummidifiers For Asthma mentioned below. They are specially picked up by our experts after an extensive research of 90 hours and medical professional’s help.
Best Humidifiers For Asthma: 2018 Review
|Asthma Humidifiers||Capacity||Type||Buy Now|
|Levoit||6 liters||Vaporizer||Check the Price|
|TaoTronics||4 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|OPOLAR Digital||1 gallon||Vaporizer||Check the Price|
|Anypro||3.5 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Aennon||2.8 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Signtek||3.5 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Crane Drop||1 gallon||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Wesuco||400 ml||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Kizen||500 ml||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Adorable Kitty Crane||1 gallon||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
Among the above top 10 products, “Levoit Humidifier Vaporizer” has taken the first position because of its features and efficiency. Though it may be a little pricey, it is all worthy for every penny.
Quick Note: If you want to know the factors we considered while choosing the best then you can read them here…
Levoit humidifier vaporizer is taken the first position in our list due to its amazing features and leak proof design. It has the capacity of increasing the humidity levels 25% quicker than other devices that use only cool mist.
This product can provide both warm and cool mist at three different levels. You can choose any of them and its levels through the sensitive touch control panel.
Apart from sensitive touch control panel, you can also operate the product using a remote control. The digital console displays the accurate humidity levels present in the room which helps to set the comfortable humidity levels based on the environment.
The most amazing feature of this product is the smart auto-mode option. This feature will adjust the diffusing mist based on the humidity levels present in the surrounding environment.
It has 6 liters of capacity which allows 20 – 36 hours of continuous usage. It covers up to 280 sqft which makes it comfortable for bedroom, living rooms and office.
The product is developed to be whisper-quite which states that ultrasonic air diffusion will produce less than 36dB for a quite humidification.
- 6 liter capacity and 280 sqft range.
- Dual 360 degree nozzles.
- Hybrid warm and cool mist.
- 2 years warranty and lifetime support.
- Timing control and intuitive manual setup.
- Customizable humidity and auto-mode.
- Quite aromatherapy operation.
- Can be used as aroma diffuser also.
- The light from the digital console can be a bit irritating when you sleep.
If you are looking for a humidifier that provides odorless and pure air mist then TaoTronics cool mist humidifier has to be your choice. The microporous cartridge present in this product thoroughly filters water and removes microorganisms.
Its 4 liters water capacity provides over a half day of adjustable humidification that will last into the night. It has an amazing feature of adjustable vapor for multiple needs. You can set the humidity level and mist flow for rooms up to 66 – 88 ft².
The humidity levels achieved by this humidifier not only provides safe breath but also combats dry skin, wrinkles, mildew and winter cold.
Additional features of this product include built-timer, sleep mode, intuitive LED display and 360 degree rotatable nozzle for uniform distribution.
- Affordable priced.
- Microporous cartridge that removes microorganisms.
- 4 liters capacity.
- Ultra-silent (less than 38 db).
- Perfect for older people and children.
- Great for winters or in air conditioned rooms.
- Cannot be used as aroma diffuser. Adding essential oils is not recommended.
Are you looking for humidifier that produces tons of mists without leaving the floor or tablet wet? Then Opolar digital humidifier has to be your choice.
It has the large mist volume than other humidifiers available in the market. The twin nozzle is capable of producing mist independently with uniform vaporization. A maximum of 320ml of mist per hour is released throughout the large space of 300 – 500 ft².
On the digital console, you can directly tell the current humidity levels and set the most comfortable level according to the surrounding environment. It helps you to avoid scratchy throats, dry skin, static electricity and irritating nose.
The touch sensitive LED display and built-in features makes it easy to operate the product. Its common features include: timer mode, water shortage warning, sleep mode and present humidity levels.
Due to its vast capacity of 1.2 gallon, it can run from 14 – 37 hours per filling. It is perfect for kids, office, living and nursery rooms. Its contemporary minimalistic design and matter black finish blends well in any décor whether it is your bedroom or living room.
- Internal permanent filter (removes bacteria and bad odor)
- Noise free humidifier.
- Easy touch switch control panel.
- Water shortage warning.
- 5 liters or 1.2 gallons capacity.
- Auto-shut off function
- Ideal for any room in the house, particularly baby nursery room.
- No water indicators.
Enjoy fresh and clean air mist with Anypro Mist humidifier. Its amazing built-in antibacterial material keeps away the mold growth. It helps to keep our respiratory functions and skin healthy all night and day.
This compact and powerful humidifier with smart features ensures perfect coverage in dry areas of your office and home. It is capable of humidifying air in rooms up to 538 sq ft.
With smart humidification technology, it can typically run 20 – 36 hours continuously depending on the mist control setting. You can adjust the vapor to any level with a dial knob control. You can change the humidify levels with 360 degree adjustable mist spray.
The deep groove design it has will prevent easy leakage. Its design is also tested for crushing resistance. The antibacterial material that is used in the water tank will suppress the mold growth.
Different light settings like red, purple, blue, green, pink and yellow are present, from which you can select one to enhance your mood and space.
- Customer oriented enterprise.
- Smart humidification technology.
- Adjustable humidity control.
- Leakage and crush resistant.
- Antibacterial material.
- Super quite operation.
- Filter free and adjustable mist.
- Weekly maintenance is required for better working.
- Adding oils can lead to crack or leakage.
If you want clean and fresh air that moistens your airways and soothes you mood then “Aennon cool mist humidifier has to be your choice.
It runs whole night without needing to refill the water multiple times. It creates a calming and comforting experience which improves the quality of focus and sleep.
It can also be used as a nebulizer, aroma diffuser, ionizer and moisturizer. It has 2.8 liters of capacity which permits almost 10 hours of continuous usage. It automatically shuts down as the water reservoir is empty.
Its whisper quite operation will not interfere with your sleep and work. It is completely safe to use either day or night. It does not get overheated.
It has a unique stylish design which perfectly blends with any décor. The cozy built-in 7 color LED night light will create calming and comforting atmosphere. You can either set your favorite color or choose auto color flow.
- 8 liter capacity and 10hours+ usage.
- Auto-shut off feature.
- Whisper quite feature.
- 7 color LED lights and unique stylish design.
- ETL safety approved.
- Not good for large rooms.
Signtek ultrasonic cool mist humidifier increases and regulates relative humidity of the room efficiently. Its high quality transducer provides a guaranteed long lasting and satisfactory functioning capability.
The ceramic filter present in it, purifies the water and releases abundant anions which regulates the humidity perfectly. With 3.5 liters of capacity, it is effective in providing coverage for large bedrooms, office rooms and other rooms.
It has 360 degree mist nozzle which makes it easy to adjust the mist direction. Its mist intensify adjustment helps to control the speed as per your comfort level. It lasts up to 10 hours of continuous operation.
- Noiseless and energy saving.
- Ceramic filter with water protection.
- Easy to refill water into the water tank.
- Mist intensity adjustment.
- Guaranteed long lasting and satisfactory functioning.
- Automatic protection when the water tank is empty.
- The plastic used was not so durable.
If you looking for a humidifier that increases moisture in the air, eases the breathing and good night’s sleep then Crane USA Humidifier should be your choice. It is a perfect solution for low humidity related problems like cough, cold, flu, nasal congestion, sinus irritation, dry skin, nose bleeds and others.
As it does not contain any heating element, it is perfect and safest for newborns and young children. It produces fine mist particles that are very cool to touch.
The crane drop humidifiers are not only stylish but also easy to operate and whisper silent. It contains an antimicrobial material in the base which helps to eliminate bacteria and mold growth by 99.96%.
The built-in auto-shut-off feature helps to stop the operation of the product when the tank is almost empty. This product doesn’t have any filter. But for home with hard water supply, demineralization filters should be purchased and placed in the unit.
- Humidifies up to 500 sqft for easier breathing.
- Anti-microbial material.
- 1 gallon capacity.
- Runs whisper quite.
- 360 degree lid.
- Auto-off activates when the tank empties.
- No filter required.
- The cord is a little shorter.
- Need to be handled very carefully.
Want to release tension and stress with amazing aroma and humidifying therapy then it’s time to purchase Wesuco oil 4 in 1 diffuser and humidifier.
This product is equipped with amazing features like air purifier, negative ionizer, nebulizer, and filter free humidifier. It effectively increases the negative ions in the atmosphere which instantly cleans and purifies the air.
By producing cool mist, it will improve your sleeping conditions which helps you take restful and peaceful sleep every time. The electric nebulizer will effectively vaporize the relaxing scent of essential oils without using heat.
On a 30 second interval mode, it can work for 16 – 20 hours. On a continuous mode without interval, it can work up to 10 hours or until the tank is empty.
Its elegant and stylish design will blend into any home décor. It also boosts 7 mesmerizing color changing LED’s which will softly illuminate the spaces and enhances the calming atmosphere.
- Non-toxic, BPA Free PP/ABS material ensures 100% safety.
- 7 mesmerizing color changing LED’s.
- Can set the product on your preferred mode.
- Improves quality of sleep and breathe.
- 4 in 1 – air purifier, negative ionizer, filter free humidifier and nebulizer.
- Great addition to bedroom or office room décor.
- Long lasting durability.
- Ideal for releasing stress and tension.
- Nothing much
- Make sure to water levels doesn’t exceed the max line.
- Add only water soluble essential oils.
The multifunctional capability, elegant design, and ultrasonic technology makes Kizen Ultrasonic Aromatherapy is an amazing product. It is a 4 in 1 product – aromatherapy, humidifier, air purifier and ionizer.
The uniquely created glass dome of this humidifier provides a calming and relaxing ambiance. You can also choose between a wide full spectrum of changing lights or your favorite color.
It makes a memorizing nightlight, elegant decorative piece, calming presence and conversation starter. It uses high frequency vibrations instead of heat to diffuse the oil and mist into the air. As the oils are not burned, you can get the benefits of medicinal properties present in the essential oil.
This product can be controlled by an APP in your mobile. The mobile APP contains a vast array of options which are not available in older generation diffusers.
It produces negative ions as small as 0.01 microns which can combat positive ion pollutants like fine dust, allergens and bacteria.
- Multifunction (4 in 1).
- Ultrasonic technology.
- Elegant design with glass crafter dome.
- Can be controlled through mobile APP.
- Improves air quality by producing negative ions.
- It can be an elegant decorative piece in your bedroom and offices.
- Only water based essential oils should be used.
- It can sometime be loud.
Crane Hello Kitty Humidifier is more than adorable and fun to look at piece. The ultrasonic cool mist increases the humidity levels in the air for easier breathing and good night’s sleep.
It has an auto-shut off sensor which switches off the product when the water level is very low. The anti-microbial material used in this product effectively reduces the mold and bacteria growth by 99.96%.
The removable water tank fits under the bathroom sinks which are easy for filling. It runs very quiet for up to 24 hours. It doesn’t contain any filter and has the capability of 1 gallon.
- BPA free unit.
- 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Whisper-quite operation.
- Prevents 99.96% bacterial growth.
- No filter required.
- 360 degree lid.
- Built-in auto-off feature.
- Maintenance is pretty high and time consuming.
How to Select the Right Humidifier for Asthma
When it comes to choosing the right humidifier, you have consider some factors. We have explained them in detail below for your convenience….
1. Humidifier Types: Cool and Warm Mist
Cool Mist Humidifiers
Cool mist humidifiers work by expelling a stream of water mist into the surrounding atmosphere. This is achieved by using either a fan to evaporate the water or ultrasonic vibration to break and disperse water in small particles. Whatever might be the functionality, the cool mist will only increase the room’s humidity but not the temperature. However, they can make the temperature feel a bit cooler than normal.
There are 3 different types of cool mist humidifiers: evaporative, ultrasonic and impeller.
They are also called as filtered cool mist humidifiers. In this type of humidifiers, a wick will be present which will absorb the water. A fan will blow out the moisture off the wick and helps it evaporate into the air more quickly. However, cool mist humidifiers cannot add moisture than the air can handle.
Drawbacks: The filter wick will trap the dust and minerals, so it has to be replaced more frequently. It also makes noise while operating. The product has to be cleaned regularly as the stagnant water can become a breeding ground for the bacteria.
2. Ultrasonic Cool Moist Humidifier
It is also called as Filter free cool moist humidifier. It works based on a nebulizer which rotates at a high speed to produce mist. The produced mist will be blown out by a fan. This humidifier will produce less noise compared to evaporative humidifiers and saves energy too.
Drawbacks: Doesn’t contain filter to remove calcium from water which can fall on ground near the humidifier as white dust. You have to use distilled water in order to prevent this.
3. Impeller Humidifiers
Impeller humidifiers work on the principle of rotating disks which run at very high speeds. The rotating disks will create mist which will be expelled out using a fan. These humidifiers are considered to the most child-friendly ones as they don’t have potential risk of burns.
Drawbacks: They work only for small single rooms. If they are overused then they can possibly cause respiration difficulty for people suffering from allergies and asthma.
Benefits of Cool Mist Humidifiers:
- They are child-friendly devices as there is no purpose of heating the water.
- Tanks are much easier to clean.
- Wick type humidifiers are self-regulating which means that the evaporation of the air is relative to the humidity present in the room.
Drawbacks of Cool Mist Humidifiers:
- A fan is compulsory in order to dispel the mist into the room. So, the devices will produce certain amount of noise.
- Minerals, microorganisms or dust can be expelled along with mist. The calcium minerals expelled from the humidifier will settle on nearby furniture as hard white dust. It is always advised to use distilled water as hard water contains dust and micro-organisms which can worsen asthma.
Warm Mist Humidifiers
Warm mist humidifiers works on electricity to heat the water which will be dispersed as mist into the air. As the water will be heated, microorganisms will be killed making the mist safe to breathe. Warm mist humidifiers contain a separate section where you can add medications or essential oils. As fan is not available, these humidifiers are more silent.
Benefits of Warm Mist Humidifiers:
- Minerals, microorganism and dust will not be expelled with the mist into the air.
- Medication like Vicks or essential oil can be added to water for diffusion.
Drawbacks of Warm Mist Humidifiers:
- These are not child-friendly devices as it contains heating element which can pose risk of scalding and fire.
- The minerals deposits can make cleaning hard.
- Frequent cleaning is necessary as microorganism can thrive in stagnant warm water.
- The heating element will require more energy for operation so you may experience increase power consumption and operational cost.
2. Humidifier Size
This is an important factor because the device has to cover the required area. If we remove trade-off costs, noise, efficiency and reach then below are the filtered options…
1. Room Humidifiers
These are usually large in size and cover up multiple rooms of 650 – 1200 sq. ft. Ultrasonic warm and cool humidifiers, air washer and evaporative cool mist humidifiers come under this size category. Some of these humidifiers contain remote hygrometer or smart control which will let you monitor adjust settings or humidity.
2. Portable Humidifiers
They are also called as tabletop humidifiers. If you are looking out to humidify a room or small space like cozy office or baby’s nursery then this type of humidifiers work well. They are also very convenient for people who travel frequently. However, you have to recharge or refill the water tank as it is smaller. Ultrasonic cool humidifiers come under this size.
3. Whole House Humidifier
This type of humidifiers are best for humidifying a whole house with open door ways. They can work for spaces up to 1000 feet or more. They usually require less amount of water for refilling but are a little difficult to operate and maintain.
3. Precision Humidity Control
Some people claim that humidifiers are not suitable for asthmatics because too moisture can worsen the discomfort. If you are concerned about the same then this problem can resolved by a high precision humidifier.
These automatic humidifiers contain a built-in feature called hygrometer which will monitor the humidity in the room and on/off the device based on the readings. The analyzation parts is done by the remote sensors which take multiple readings at a precise distance from the dispersion area for providing accurate markings. These automated humidifiers are good enough for most of us. However, if you are looking for something that you can control through smartphone then go for wireless controlled humidifiers. They are usually expensive than the normal ones.
Usually, most of the humidifiers contain 1 or 2 filters and a dirt reservoir. A filter is an important part of the humidifier as it makes sure the mist or air is not contaminated. Purchase a humidifier with easy to clean parts and replaceable filters.
Once you purchase it, make sure to check the filters once or twice in a week to keep the air clean and fresh. If you want to keep off contaminants and microorganisms then choose evaporators or steam humidifiers. These devices will boil the water before creating the mist.
5. Slot for Adding Medications
Some people may want to have an option of adding medications like Vicks or essentials oils for soothing the nasal passages. Some essential oils like clove, lavender, and peppermint oil can help you get relief from asthma attacks and discomforts caused by allergies. It is easy to combat discomforts like chest pain, hard breathing and wheezing.
6. Installation and Maintenance
Most of the humidifiers available in the market are easy to install and maintain without much use of tools. For installation, you can just follow the guidelines mentioned in the instruction manual provided by the manufacturer.
For keeping humidifier’s working condition optimum, you have to run regular maintenance. If you have placed it in a small room then too frequent cleaning may not be required. However, if you have placed in a normal sized or large room then make sure to clean it at least once or twice a week based on its capacity. During the cleaning and regular maintenance, make sure to check water reservoir, medicine slot, and filter wick. While purchasing a humidifier, make sure its parts are easy to clean, assemble and dissemble without much use of tools.
7. Placement and Use
If you are suffering from allergies or asthma then you have to make sure the environment you live in is clean. That is why placement of humidifier matters a lot. There are certain tips to consider while placing a humidifier…
- If your budget is tight then get a small humidifier and place it on your office desk, kitchen counter, coffee table or bedside table.
- Make sure not place in a damp or wet place.
- Make sure to leave some space around the humidifier.
- It is better to replace the filters often than what is suggested by the manufacturer.
- If the humidifier has remote humidity sensor then it is better to place it where you spend most of your time.
Maintenance Tips for Humidifiers
A humidifier can be beneficial to an asthmatic only when it is properly maintained. If they are not properly maintained or cleaned then they can become breeding grounds of micro-organisms. This can be dangerous to people suffering from allergies or asthma. For your convenience, we have mentioned some tips below…
- Only Use Purified or Distilled Water: One of the best ways to prevent bacteria or other microorganisms to enter the humidifier is the water you use. Make sure to use only purifier or distilled water especially in case of cool mist humidifiers. Pollutants present in normal water are not only harmful for you but also for humidifier as they can cause damage to the device.
- Maintain It Clean: Make sure the humidifier doesn’t contains any water stagnant as it can become breeding ground of microorganisms. Thoroughly rinse it daily or at least twice in a week before refilling. Do not use harsh chemicals to clean it, normal water should be enough. If you are storing it, make sure to dry it completely first.
- UV Light: Some of the humidifiers for asthma contains UV light which discourages the spreading of bacteria and mould. This is especially important in cases of warm mist humidifiers as they are more likely to get contaminated.
- Stop overdoing it: For asthmatic people, too humidity is also bad just like too dry air. Humidity above 45% is considered too high and it is ideal temperature for bacteria and mould growth. It is better to rely on a hygrometer or humidistat for the same.
- It is better to use water with low-mineral content to prevent white dust accumulation on the furniture.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which one is better: Humidifier or Dehumidifier?
Asthma can be triggered by either too low or too dry symptoms. Which one to choose among them, depends on the air quality surrounding you.
When to Purchase a Humidifier:
Dry air irritates the air passages and nerves present in the respiratory system which leads to inflammation and other discomforts which are encountered during asthma attack. If the environment you live in contains dry air then choose a humidifier as it adds moisture into the air. Breathing moist air will soothe airways and reduce the asthma attacks.
When to Purchase a Dehumidifier:
Too much moisture in the air can be harmful as it creates ideal environment for bacterial and mold growth. In this cases, a dehumidifier works best. A dehumidifier absorbs excess moisture from the air present in your room which automatically discourages the mold growth.
By choosing the right one as per the environment you live in, you can control or prevent the asthma flare ups.
2. Which one is better: Vaporizer or Humidifier?
Vaporizers are mainly used to vaporize the medicine or plant so that people can inhale it properly for treating asthma or any other respiratory infection. However, they don’t have much effect on the environment you live in. You can only use for temporary purposes like inhaling medicine like Vicks or any essential oil for a certain period of time. However, humidifiers will do the same for longer period of time. You don’t have stick to one place with humidifier like you have to do with vaporizers. The humidifiers will analyze the air quality in the room and release the vapor or mist until it is healthy and breathable.
3. Can Humidifier Cause Asthma?
If not maintained properly then humidifier becomes breeding ground for microorganisms and pollutants leading to asthma attacks. If maintained properly, humidifiers will not lead to asthma attacks.
5. What is White Dust That forms on the Surrounding areas of humidifier?
White dust are the tiny mineral particles (mostly calcium) present in the hard water. They get break down and enter into the vapor. It mostly settles down around the furniture present around the humidifier. It can be aesthetically unpleasant and trigger allergy attacks if inhaled. This problem can be resolved by using distilled water or demineralization cartridges.
Tips to Reduce Winter’s Effect on Asthma
Just placing a humidifier in the home is not enough to avoid asthma triggers. Below are few tips to consider for preventing the asthma bouts….
- Don’t forget taking medication prescribed by your doctor or nurse.
- Check with your nurse or doctor whether you are using the inhalers correctly or not.
- Get regular asthma check-ups.
- Whenever you go out, make sure to check the forecast.
- Carry an inhaler always with you.
- Carry an umbrella, scarf, hat, and wear gloves to keep yourself warm.
- If the climate outside changes suddenly then wrap a scarf loosely on your nose. This will help to warm up the air you breathe in.
- Never breathe in through your mouth. Our nose is designed to warm up the cool air as it gets in.
A well maintained humidifier reduces allergy or asthma attacks and helps to sleep comfortably throughout the night. Maintaining proper humidity levels is not only good for you but also to the furniture residing in your home. The right humidity levels will make sure the HVAC filters work perfectly in trapping the pollen, pollution and other particles. So finally, you will have a cleaner environment to live in and your nasal passages will be healthy.
When it comes to choosing the humidifier, make sure to follow the guidelines we mentioned above in the article. If you have a tight budget, go for a small one. If you can afford then go for a whole house humidifier.
Further, if you have any queries, write to us in the comment section. Our experts will clarify them as soon as possible. If you like the information provided in this article then share it with your friends and family.