The constant itching sensation and severe pain caused hemorrhoids can be very daunting to handle. Sometimes, the discomforts caused by it can interfere with our daily activities like walking, sitting and others.
If you are looking for a solution that provides immediate relief then hemorrhoid creams are perfect. These creams contain active ingredients like Hydrocortisone – that aids in reducing the swelling, soothing the pain and controlling the itching sensation – which are often accompanied with hemorrhoids.
|1||Tronolane Anesthetic Cream for Hemorrhoids, Dual-Action Formula, 2 Ounce||$11.04 $6.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Tronolane Hemorrhoid Cream - 2 Oz (Pack of 3)||183 Reviews||$26.97 $24.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Preparation H Rapid Relief with Lidocaine Cream Hemorrhoid Symptom Treatment, Numbs Pain, Burning,...||1,080 Reviews||$29.99 $20.93||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Genius Hemorrhoid Cream, Hemorrhoid Treatment, Hemorrhoid & Fissure Ointment, Fast Relief Hemorrhoid...||190 Reviews||$19.99 $14.99||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Preparation H Hemorrhoid Symptom Treatment Cream (0.9 Ounce Tube), Maximum Strength Multi-Symptom...||858 Reviews||$8.99 $6.48||Buy on Amazon|
When you start looking out for a good hemorrhoid cream in the market – you may experience a wide variety of them. This can make you a bit confusing. So, we have assorted few factors like ingredients, consistency and others in our buying guide. Have a close look at them to make an informed choice.
Apart from that, we have also filtered the products present in the market based on several factors and listed them below for your convenience.
Best Hemorrhoid Creams
|Hemorrhoid Creams||Active Ingredient||Buy Now|
|Doctor Butler's||Lidocaine||Check the Price|
|Perrigo||Dibucain||Check the Price|
|HemoTreat||Eucalyptus oil||Check the Price|
|Shouhengda||Phellodendron||Check the Price|
|Recticare||Lidocaine||Check the Price|
|Anusol||Zinc Oxide||Check the Price|
|Equate||phenylephrine HCl||Check the Price|
|Mayinglong||Artificial Musk||Check the Price|
|Diosmin Expert||Hesperidin||Check the Price|
|Nupercainal||Tumeric and Mustard Oil||Check the Price|
First from our list comes Doctor Butler’s Hemorrhoid and Fissure Ointment. This ointment is specially crafted by Dr. Culter who is a proctologist with an experience of more than30 years in treating anal fissures. This cream is beneficial in treating several discomforts caused by hemorrhoids like pain, swelling, and itching.
The composition of this ointment includes active ingredients like Phenylphrine, aloe vera, vitamin E, horse chestnut extract, ginseng extract, calendula, algae extract and hyaluronic acid. These ingredients are well known for treating and preventing hemorrhoids and fissures.
The colorless and odor less formula of this ointment doesn’t leave a thin film behind. Apart from reducing the swelling, it also helps to stop bleeding that is often related to anal fissures and hemorrhoids.
The product can resolve symptoms as effective as prescribed by the doctor. Though it has amazing ingredients and provides maximum effective, this ointment is sold at a very affordable price. This cream is helpful in soothing both internal and external hemorrhoid and fissure tissues.
This product is manufactured in USA in an FDA approved facility. The product batch is dispersed from the manufacturer only after it undergoes strict and rigorous quality control testing.
- Amazon’s #1 Best Selling Hemorrhoid Ointment
- Developed by a Board-Certified Proctologist
- More than 45,000 satisfied customers
- Complete satisfaction and money back guarantee
- Made in USA
- Meets FDA approval
- Has powerful healing herbs and active ingredients
- Available with and without prescription
- Affordably priced
- Not for everybody. Some people can be allergic to the herbal ingredients present in it
Dibucaine is a brand of medical creams that makes all kinds of ointments and solutions. You can also find a cream for hemorrhoids and piles from Dibucaine that is quite effective.
The Dibucaine Ointment for hemorrhoids is present in the 1st position in this article as it is highly effective. It is a 1% ointment or cream that is made for hemorrhoidal and topical analgesics. You can use this cream for the relief of local discomfort that includes things like burning, itching, dermatitis, and others.
As per its name, it is a 2 pack cream for piles where each cream tube contains 28 grams of cream or ointment. In other words, you get a total of 56 grams of 1% ointment cream with this Dibucaine option. This cream has a high user rating as it is highly effective against any issues that are associated with inflamed hemorrhoidal tissues.
- Offers 2 tubes
- 56 grams of ointment
- Highly effective 1% ointment cream
- Works against any issues related to inflamed hemorrhoidal tissues
- Relief for burning, itching, dermatitis, and other issues
- Slightly expensive
You can go with the Dibucaine Oint 1% cream for hemorrhoids if you are looking for a highly effective option out there. It works against issues related to inflamed hemorrhoidal tissues, including burning, itching, dermatitis, and others. This offers 2 cream packs that provide a total of 56 grams of ointment.
The HemoTreat Hemorrhoid Ointment is a fast, safe, and effective treatment that helps in providing immediate relief from the discomforts. It is a 100% safe, effective and best suitable for both internal and external hemorrhoids.
It makes use of 6 active ingredients – camphor, calcium carbonate, eucalyptus oil, petroleum jelly, lanolin and adept sullies that alleviates pain, irritation and itching, reduces swelling and inflammation, treats dry skin and acts as a protectant and dealer.
This provides relief from hemorrhoids without any adverse side effects. It is very helpful in protecting and restoring the irritated skin.
All the ingredients used in the ointments have been clinically tested for safety and effectiveness. This unique and innovative blend has passed all the clinical trials which are rigorously tested for tolerance.
This ointment does not contain any steroids, chemicals or artificial ingredients.
The manufacturer provides 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the product.
- Safe and effective innovative.
- Best-selling hemorrhoid cream.
- Fast acting relief.
- Suited for piles, swelling, anal fissures.
- Has strong and unpleasant odor.
4. Chinese Herbal For Treatment Hemorrhoids Cream Anus Prolapse Anal Fissure Antibacterial Cream By Shouhengda
As per its name, Shouhengda is a Chinese medical brand that is known to make various remedies and ointments. You can also find a cream for hemorrhoids by Shouhengda here.
Shouhengda’s ointment cream for piles and hemorrhoids is present in the 2nd position in this article as it is one of the cheapest options out there. But even then, it has a high user rating as it gets used by a lot of users out there as it is highly effective. It is effective as it shrinks the distended veins in and around the anal cavity.
You have to simply apply this ointment to the affected area 1 or 2 times a day. This will ensure that this antibacterial cream helps you in issues like itching, burning, pain, or discomfort caused by hemorrhoids. It also benefits with the health of the veins and capillaries of your anal cavity. You get a total of 20 grams of hemorrhoid and piles cream in this ointment tube.
- Highly affordable
- Shrinks the distended veins of your anal cavity
- Offers relief against any issues against hemorrhoids
- Easy to apply
- Supports vein and capillary health of your anus
- Only a single tube
- Provides just 20 grams of cream
If you are on a budget, then you can go with the Shouhengda Chinese cream. Despite its low price tag, it is highly effective for most users. You can use this cream to get rid of any issues caused due to piles like itching, burning, pain, or discomfort. This cream is quite easy to apply as you have to apply it twice a day to fix any tissue swelling issues.
We have chosen Recticare Anorectal Cream as our first priority because of its high quality active ingredients and many happy user reviews.
This particular anorectal cream is often prescribed by medical professionals for relieving soreness. It can be used for relieving hemorrhoid symptoms and other Anorectal Disorders. It works effectively for both external and internal hemorrhoids.
The cream contains 5% lidocaine, a powerful anaesthetic that helps to numb the pain and provide instant relief. When compared to other creams, this one has more lidocane so it is considered as fast fix for pain caused by hemorrhoids.
Its anti-itch property will soothe the affected areas and relieve the pain. It is quite gently on skin and doesn’t cause any burning sensations. It includes 10 finger cots too. It is a colorless and odorless cream that does not leave behind any residue or stain the clothes.
- Highest strength.
- Local anesthetic.
- Lidocaine 5%.
- Suited for hemorrhoids and anorectal disorders.
- Nothing much.
Anusol is one of the trusted brands when it comes to high quality products. This hemorrhoid ointment helps to deal with the discomfort associated with hemorrhoids and piles such as itching, pain, soreness, swelling and dryness.
Apart from that, it reduces the inflammation of the rectum, itching around the back passage, tears in the passage, and discomfort following the rectal surgery.
The active ingredients in this ointment are zinc oxide, Bismuth subgallate, Balsam Peru and Bismuth oxide which do not cause any side effects.
These ingredients have mild antiseptic, protective and astringent properties that help to heal the hemorrhoidal tissues. Balsam peru is known to promote the regeneration of new skin cells. They help to soothe the discomfort in the rectum and other irritations in the anal area.
This particular ointment can be used for both internal and external hemorrhoids. However, they are not recommended for children under 18 years of age. And if you are experiencing blood stools then avoid using this product.
- Contains astringent properties.
- Eases the burning sensation and other discomforts caused by hemorrhoids.
- High quality ingredients.
- Suited for both external and internal hemorrhoids.
- Caused rashes in some people. So, patch test before using it.
Equate is one of the most trusted company when it comes to providing products with promising results. This is a specially formulated cream which is extremely effective in targeting the pain, soreness and burning associated with hemorrhoids.
This cream works by shrinking the swollen hemorrhoid tissue and forming a protective layer over the irritated tissue.
The active ingredients used in this cream are glycerine, petroleum, phenylephrine HCl and pramoxine.
- Glycerin is helpful in easing bowel movements and treating constipation.
- It is known to reduce irritation and itching caused by external hemorrhoids.
- White petroleum soothes the burning sensation associated with anal fissures and other anarectal issues.
It also contains aloe vera which ensures to protect the skin from bacterial and fungal infections. This therapeutic cream will shrink the swollen hemorrhoids and supports healing.
This particular cream can be used for both internal and external hemorrhoids. You can apply this cream 5 times in a day for complete relief.
- Rapid soothing pain relief.
- Contains aloe vera.
- Shrinks hemorrhoid tissues.
- Maximum strength pain relief.
- Best treatment for hemorrhoids.
- If you have bleeding tissues or sores then this cream is not suitable.
We have yet another Chinese brand of ointments called Mayinglong that also offers ointments and creams for hemorrhoids. It provides a multi-tube pack cream that is quite effective against the issues caused by piles or hemorrhoids.
This Mayinglong cream for hemorrhoid is present in the 3rd position in this article as it offers multiple cream tubes to the user. As you would expect, this cream is made for hemorrhoids and piles for treating symptoms and issues caused due to it. You get a total of 40 grams in this tube that allows you to apply this cream for a long time without any problems.
You can simply apply this cream on the affected area every day to get rid of all the issues. Once you have applied this cream, it helps you to fix heat-clearing, blood circulation detumescence, stopping bleeding, and various other issues caused due to hemorrhoids. This cream is made using artificial musk, artificial bezoar, pearl, and other things that make this cream quite effective.
- 40 grams of total cream
- Made for external usage
- Includes artificial musk, bezoar, pearl, and other things
- Suitable for various symptoms due to hemorrhoid
- Fixes heat-clearing, blood circulation detumescence, anal tissue
- A single tube runs out quick
Unlike the previous two brands of ointment creams, Dulac is an Italian brand. It also makes ointments and creams for hemorrhoids that are natural and safe.
The Dulac Diosmin Expert cream offers a total of 40 grams of cream in this tube that is quite good since you can use it for a long time. It performs a smooth action on anal tissues as it contains Karite Butter. Since this cream is a glycosidic bioflavonoid, it can perform venotonic, vascular, vasoconstrictive, and protective functions for your anal cavity.
Another great thing about this cream is that it is quite safe as it is free of any parabens, mineral oils, and silicones. It is an ointment that is completely tested with various dermatological tests. This cream contains natural ingredients like Diosmin, Hesperidin, Horse Chestnut, and various others.
- Dermatologically tested
- Completely safe as it is free of mineral oils and silicones
- 40 grams of ointment in a tube
- Performs venotonic, vascular, vasoconstrictive, and protective functions
- Contains Karite Butter for smooth action
- Only a single tube
- Slightly expensive
The Dulac Diosmin Expert ointment can be a great option if you are looking for natural and completely safe options to heal issues related to hemorrhoids. You can find things like diosmin, escin, Centella Asiatica, horse chestnut, karite butter, and others. Due to this, you can use this 40-gram cream tube to apply on your anal cavity for a smooth action.
Tronolane is one of the highly rated treatments for hemorrhoids. It is manufactured in U.S.A by following high quality standards. It is a specially formulated hemorrhoid cream that provides dual action of working as an anesthetic and astringent.
The combination of pramoxine hydrochloride and zinc oxide present in the cream will work faster in providing relief from hemorrhoids. The anesthetic action of the cream promotes numbness in the affected area which temporarily reduces the pain and soreness.
It lubricates and reduces inflammation of the hemorrhoidal tissues and prevents further irritation. Though this is a medicated cream, it doesn’t have any unpleasant smells. This is the reason why so many people are resorting to this one.
Most of the hemorrhoid creams can leave a stain on the clothing which can cause embarrassment. However, Tronolane is different from them because it doesn’t leave any stains. In fact, the skin will quickly absorb it to provide fast relief.
This cream can be applied as much as 5 times every day, but it should not be used for more than 7 days if the symptoms persist or get worse.
- Can be applied 5 times in a day.
- Made in USA.
- Dual action formula.
- Greaseless, stainless and odorless.
- Cause slight burning sensation initially for some people.
This is an innovative hemorrohoid treatment which is specially developed to target the pain and discomfort.
Instead of lidocaine, it uses dibucain which has an effective numbing property. And moreover the numbing effect of dibucain lasts longer than lidocaine. It also contains petroleum and minerals oil which will lubricate the anus for free bowel movements. Apart from that, they also soothe and protect the affected areas.
The manufacturer claims that this product will provide 8 hours of complete relief from the discomforts. It also helps to speed up the healing process.
However, this ointment only provides temporary relief from hemorrhoids. It doesn’t have the capacity to shrink the tissues. If you are looking for only symptom relief then this is best choice.
- Numbing property.
- Therapeutic topical relief.
- Fast relief from burning, itching and pain.
- Can also be used to treat minor sun burns and insect bites.
- Doesn’t shrink hemorrhoid tissues.
- Some people may develop allergic reactions to the ingredients. So, it is better patch test before
How Does a Hemorrhoid Cream Works?
The main reason why a hemorrhoid cream works is the active ingredients. When the cream is rubbed on the hemorrhoids, active ingredient will deal with the discomforts like swelling and pain. Thus you will get relief from hemorrhoids.
Different manufacturers choose different kind of formulations and active ingredients. Below, we have a list of ingredients with a detailed explanation of their functioning. Some of these ingredients can only be found in prescribed creams while some of them are available only in over the counter products.
- Analgesic – This ingredient is responsible for generating a cooling sensation which helps in reducing the pain as well as itching. For example, menthol has analgesic properties.
- Anesthetic – When this ingredient comes in contact with the affected area, it will numb the hemorrhoids which help in relieving the pain, burning sensation and itching.
- Astringent – This ingredient is well known for its calming and cooling properties which are a great solution for burning and itching. Witch hazel is one of the examples for astringent.
- Horse Chestnut Seed Extract – This particular ingredient is extracted from a plant. Only natural hemorrhoid creams have this ingredient. It is helpful in reducing the swelling. But you should never use homemade chestnut seed extract because it has esculin – which is very poisonous. The plant has to be processed very carefully to remove this poison. So, we recommend leaving it to the experts and use the creams present in the market.
- Moisturizer – As everyone knows, a moisturizer hydrates and softens the skin which will ultimately reduce the itching associated with dryness. Glycerin is an ingredient with moisturizing properties.
- Steroidal – This particular property helps to reduce the swelling, pain, burning and itching. One of the example for steroidal is hydrocortisone.
- Vasoconstrictor – It helps to reduce the blood circulation to the area which helps in reducing the inflammation, pain, itching and burning sensation. Ephedrine is a perfect example of this property.
- Antiseptics – This one helps in preventing the infectious bacteria from growing further.
- Protectants – This property helps to prevent the irritation as it create a protective barrier over the skin. This barrier helps to keep the irritants away from the affected area.
Buying Information for Hemorrhoid Cream
There are a wide variety of over-the-counter hemorrhoids creams available in the market. While some show results, others don’t. So, it is important to check the list of ingredients, consistency and effects to ensure that it provides fast and long-lasting relief.
1. Active Ingredients
Most quality hemorrhoid creams provide relief from the symptoms of hemorrhoids such as itching, pain and bleeding. So, it is best to choose a hemorrhoid cream depending on your symptoms.
- Creams containing Hydrocortisone formula relieves itching
- Creams containing mineral oil and zinc oxide reduces dryness
- Creams containing benzocaine or pramoxine relieve pain and soreness
2. Cooling Effect
Some hemorrhoid creams provide a cooling effect that helps to soothe pain and inflammation and provide comfort.
Hemorrhoid creams and ointments come in a range of consistency – thick and pasty creams, thin lotions and greasy gels. You can choose the consistency of the cream depending on your preference.
How to Use Hemorrhoid Cream
Below is a detailed explanation of how to apply or use the cream on hemorrhoids.
For Internal Application:
- Before internal application of hemorrhoid cream, we recommend trying to have a bowel movement.
- Now, attach the application to the hemorrhoidal cream tube.
- Gently squeeze the hemorrhoidal cream tube so that it fills the applicator.
- Using petroleum jelly or other lubricant, lubricate the tip of the applicator.
- Now, gently insert the hemorrhoid applicator into the rectum.
- Squeeze the tube so that the cream moves into the rectum.
- Gently remove the applicator from the rectum.
- Wash the applicator with warm water and soap. And also wash your hands too.
Note: Make sure you don’t have a bowel movement for a couple of hours.
For External Application:
- Squeeze out a small amount of cream on your finger.
- Apply the cream around the outer opening of your anus.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after each application.
What Are the Advantages of using a Hemorrhoid Cream?
Generally, hemorrhoid cream is very helpful in many ways that include…
- Decreases the inflammation of the affected tissue.
- Eases the itching and pain caused due to the swelling.
- Normalizes the blood circulation to the anorectal area.
- Decreases the pain during bowel movements.
- Fastens up the healing of damaged tissues.
- Eases the passage of stools.
- Lubricates the sensitive pathways.
Cream, Gel, Ointment or Suppository – Which one to Choose?
Before purchasing a hemorrhoid cream, it is very helpful to understand the difference between several choices like ointment, gel, cream or suppository. Though they are lumped into same group, but they do have certain differences too.
The most important difference between the cream and gels – is creams are oil based and gels are water based. Usually, gel based solutions don’t leave a heavy film as they are clear in texture. But creams are different as they leave a thin film application behind. Both creams and gels are easily absorbed by the body. So, they work better for people who have oily skin.
When it comes to ointment, they are thick in color and greasy in texture. When it is applied on the skin, it leaves a layer of oil on the skin’s surface. These products are best for people with dry skin as the oil present in it traps the moisture in the skin. Either it is water or oil based, these ingredients are very helpful in relieving itching, soreness, burning sensation and swelling.
Important Note: For people who have dry skin, it is better to use ointments. For people who have oily skin, it is better to use creams.
Apart from the texture, another important thing to consider is the type of hemorrhoids – internal or external. Creams, gels or ointments are helpful for treating external hemorrhoids while suppositories are helpful for treating internal hemorrhoids.
Actually, a suppository is a medicinal preparation which is specifically designed to insert in the anus. Hemorrhoid suppositories are made up of solid vegetable oil which contains medicine. It perfectly dissolves into the body through blood vessels surrounding the affected area in rectum.
The medicine present in the suppository reduces the swelling of the tissues, eases the pain and other discomforts. These suppositories can be inserted into the rectum 4 – 6 times in a day. They can be inserted in the morning, night and after bowel movements or as per doctor’s prescription. Usually, a doctor prescribes the dosage as per medical condition. But remember that they should not be used it often or for a prolonged period of time than recommended.
What is the Right Procedure to Use a Suppository?
Initially, you have to unwarp the suppository. Now lie on your left side and make sure the right knee is bent. Gently, push the suppository inside the anus using your finger. Remember that – never push the suppository more than 1 or 2 inches. If the suppository is too soft then you can place it in refrigerator for 30 minutes or soak in cold water (before removing the wrapper).
Note: Never use suppositories if you have bleeding hemorrhoids or if the rectal area is irritated/sore. If the symptoms have not improved within 7 days or if the condition worsens then consult a doctor immediately and explain the situation.
Side Effects of Hemorrhoid Cream
Though it is a bit rare, some people may experience side effects. If you are observing any symptoms mentioned below, then consult a doctor as soon as possible as it is an indication of bad side effect.
- Rashes, hives, swelling, blisters, peeling skin (with or without fever), itching, tightness in throat or chest, wheezing, trouble in breathing or swallowing, unusual hoarseness, swelling in any part of the body.
- Bleeding in rectum.
- Intense pain in the rectum.
Precautions to Follow While Using Hemorrhoid Creams
- As most of the hemorrhoid creams present in the market are easily available without any prescription, we recommend to be very careful while choosing them. Purchasing a wrong one can end up worsening the symptoms.
- Don’t use the creams for a longer period of time and more number of times in one day. Use them only as per manufacturer’s or physician’s guidance. If these creams are used on long term basis, they can thin down the anal tissues.
- Make sure to check out if the cream is interfering with other hemorrhoid medications.
- Always use the cream or ointment as per the guidance provided by physician or as per the instructions in the package.
- Never use creams formulated for external hemorrhoids for treating internal hemorrhoids.
- Make sure to follow proper hygiene while applying the cream. Before applying the cream, make sure to clean it properly with warm water and soap.
- Check out the ingredients of the cream to see if you are allergic to any of it.
- If you are using hemorrhoid creams for first time, then we recommend starting with milder ones and gradually increase the strength. This is a very important tip especially if you have bleeding tissues. Stronger creams can damage the anal tissues.
- Prolonged use of hydrocortisone cream irritates the anal tissue so make sure to use them very carefully. If hydrocortisone creams are making you uncomfortable then switch to zinc oxide bases ones.
- If you have missed any dose then avoid applying more cream to compensate it.
- Store the creams as per the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Pregnant Women Use Hemorrhoid Cream?
Most of over-the-counter hemorrhoid creams are considered to be safe for pregnant women. But we recommend asking your midwife or obstetrician for any recommendations. She/he may provide alternative treatment or prescribe something suitable for you in relieving the discomfort.
2. I Have Blood Pressure, Can I Use the Brand Preparation H?
The active ingredient present in Preparation H is phenylephrine (vasoconstrictor). This drug is also available in several decongestants (nasal sprays) and oral cold medications. Vasoconstrictor is known to shrink the swollen tissues and contract the blood vessels.
A possible side effect of this ingredient is increased blood pressure. Sometimes, anesthologists use phenylephrine for increasing the blood pressure during a surgery if the patient’s BP is dropping to low.
Our rectum contains several blood vessels. When suppositories containing phenylephrine is inserted into the rectum, it gets absorbed by the delicate tissues. In this process, it may raise the blood pressure.
3. How Long Can I Use Hemorrhoid Cream?
Usually, topical application of ointments, creams or other hemorrhoid medications can be used only for a maximum of 5 – 7 days. If used for a longer period of time, then they may irritate the skin around the anus leading to other discomforts.
4. Is it Safe to Use Expired Hemorrhoid Cream?
Though it doesn’t lead to any serious complications, using expired hemorrhoid creams is not recommended. The expiration date is mentioned on the cream because it states the active ingredients will not be effective no more after it. So, once the expiration date is crossed, the cream will not be effective in treating the hemorrhoid issue.
5. How Many Times Should We Apply Hemorrhoid Cream?
We always recommend using the hemorrhoid cream as per the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Creams that are used externally can be applied up to 6 times in a day. Creams that are used internally can be applied up to 4 times in a day. If the symptoms of hemorrhoids are not resolved within 7 days then stop the application and contact your doctor. If you are confused how to apply or have any other questions about hemorrhoid creams then contact a physician or doctor for further instructions.
6. How Soon Can We Expect Results After Using Hemorrhoid Cream?
These creams have shown to improve the symptoms almost instantly after the first application. As they are applied topically, our skin will absorb it almost immediately. Based on this reaction, the cream will show its effect almost within few minutes.
Some of these creams contain natural ingredients like witch hazel which provide instant cooling effect. In most of the cases, hemorrhoids will be resolves within a matter of week. After using this cream, hemorrhoids will get shrink and go away within a week.
7. Is it Ok to Use Diaper Rash Cream on Hemorrhoids?
Yes, diaper rash creams can be applied on hemorrhoids. These creams contain zinc oxide which contain same properties like astringents and antiseptic which are also commonly found in hemorrhoid creams as well. They help to reduce swelling and eliminate itching as well as burning sensation. They also have moisturizing and skin protecting properties which act as protective barrier on the skin.
8. Is it Ok to Use Hemorrhoid Creams While Breastfeeding?
If it is applied in very small quantities then our skin only absorbs very little so it is ok to apply them. However, it is always recommended to consult a doctor for information on side effects and other issues that may arise. They can provide an alternate treatment for relieving itching and discomfort.
9. Are Hemorrhoid Creams Capable of Killing Pinworms?
Hemorrhoid creams should not be used for killing pinworms as they will deter the females from laying the eggs outside the anus which finally lead to retro-infection.
10. Can I Use Hemorrhoids Creams for Toddlers?
It is better to confirm the safety with a pediatrician before using it on your baby. Most of the hemorrhoid creams have ingredients that are considered safe to babies. For example xylocaine is a topical analgesic. They also contain comforting ingredients like vitamin E, aloe vera, white beeswax, zinc oxide, dimenthicone, witch hazel and others. These ingredients are helpful in reducing swelling, itching, pain and burning sensation.
11. Is Hemorrhoid Cream Responsible for Yeast Infection?
Actually, there is no direct link between yeast infection and hemorrhoid creams. When it is applied on the hemorrhoids, the cream will moisturize the skin surrounding it. So the rectal area becomes moist and dark which is an ideal breeding ground for yeast to grow. Thus, in reference this theory there is an indirect relation between these two conditions.
12. Is it Ok to Use Hemorrhoid Cream for Treating Yeast Infection?
No, hemorrhoid creams are not useful for treating yeast infection as they are helpful in reducing just the inflammation. Whereas treatment for yeast infection includes antifungals.
13. Is Hemorrhoid Cream Helpful in Reducing Eye-Puffiness?
No, these creams are not helpful. Hemorrhoid creams contain vasoconstrictors which shrink the blood vessels. So, they are effective in relieving the swelling in veins. But they are not good for applying on the sensitive skin present below the eyes. The ingredients present in this cream can irritate the skin under eyes and worsen the situation.
14. Are Hemorrhoid Creams Helpful In Reducing Acne?
Prescription corticosteroid creams or over-the-counter creams should not be used for treating acne. These creams can irritate the skin, especially if left on the skin for a prolonged period of time. Initially, you may experience reduction in the appearance of acne. But as time goes on, the skin will become addicted to it. Which means that, when the application is stopped the skin will again become itchy, bumpy, red and uncomfortable.
15. Is Hemorrhoid Cream Helpful In Reducing Wrinkles?
Hemorrhoid creams like HemAway and Preparation H provide relief by shrinking the veins present around the anus. Apart from that, it also tightens the skin as well. So, it may work on other parts of skin as well.
This was true with the old formula of Preparation H as it contained live yeast-cell derivatives (LYCD). But there are no clinical studies that confirm that LYCD is effective in reducing fine lines and wrinkles. After 1990’s, LYCD was banned because of lack of studies that support its effectiveness and safety.
The new formula of Preparation H contains hydrocortisone and phenylephrine. Some dermatologist believes that phenylephrine is helpful in treating tiredness and puffiness under the eyes. Hydrocortisone is a steroid which helps in reducing swelling and itching related to hemorrhoids.
If you still want to use hemorrhoid creams for reducing wrinkles then we recommend purchasing the one with old formula containing LYCD which is also known as Bio-Dyne.
What is the Appropriate Way of Using Hemorrhoid Cream for Wrinkles?
First thing is to purchase or get the original formulation of Preparation H. You can do this by simply researching online. Look out specifically for product Preparation H with Bio-Dyne.
Before applying it directly on the face, we recommend doing a patch test on the skin. For this, apply the cream on a small area of your inner arm. Leave it on for 20 – 30 minutes. This time period helps you observe any negative reactions like hives, swelling, redness and burning sensation.
If you don’t observe any negative reactions or skin irritation then apply the cream on the face, especially on the wrinkles. Make sure to spread only a very thin layer and rub it gently so that the skin absorbs the skin. Make sure the cream doesn’t come in contact with eyes as it can lead to several discomforts.
It is better to try this product for wrinkles before going to bed. After leaving the application for 10 minutes, wash the face thoroughly. Make sure to wash your hands throughly after the application.
You can apply this cream during the day but it may leave your skin greasy or shiny. Just like any other wrinkle cream, it takes few weeks to month to notice the results. As there are no particular studies conducted on this, you may not see the difference.
What are the Possible Side Effects of Using Hemorrhoid Creams?
Just like any other cream, hemorrhoid creams also have certain side effects. But the side effect depends on the ingredients present in the cream. The active ingredient phenylephrine present in the hemorrhoid cream makes the area tighter temporarily. If the cream is used for a prolonged period of time then it can make the skin more fragile, swollen, thinner and red.
Creams that contain hydrocortisone worsen the skin issues like acne, rosacea, impetigo and others. As per Mayo Clinic, hydrocortisone makes the skin thinner and more prone to bruising, when it is applied on the delicate skin areas like face.
Though this happens in rare conditions, hydrocortisone can get into the bloodstream which also leads to side effects. Actually, hydrocortisone is a steroid which affects the adrenal glands that are responsible for the body’s response to our stress levels.
When it comes to LYCD, there are clinical studies and researches conducted to find out the negative side effects.
Few Words before Leaving…
Suffering with the pain, irritation and other discomfort caused by hemorrhoids can be very frustrating. Using a hemorrhoid cream is helpful for dealing with these issues.
Off all the products available, 1. Doctor Butler’s Hemorrhoid & Fissure Ointment is our top pick from the list because of its effectiveness, fast results and reasonable price. It contains 5% lidocaine, a powerful anaesthetic which numbs the affected area to relieve the pain and irritation. The perfect consistency of the cream ensures it does not cause excessive stickiness or oiliness or stain the clothes.
We hope the article is informative and helpful for you. If you still have any queries, write to us in the comment section below. Our experts will reply to them as soon as possible.