Epsom salt is a mineral compound that contains magnesium and sulfate. Do you know that magnesium is the second most abundant element in the human cells? It helps to regulate over 325 enzymes and thus plays an important role in organizing many bodily functions such as energy production, electrical impulses, muscle soothing and eliminating harmful toxins.
In these days, most of us are having magnesium deficiency due to the intake of improper diet and unhealthy lifestyle habits along with over development of agricultural land that leaches magnesium and other trace elements from the soil.
In a study, it is stated that the rate of magnesium deficiency in American’s is high and thus results in heart problems, arthritis, digestive maladies, osteoporosis, chronic fatigue, joint pain, stress related illness and other ailments.
Have you heard that calcium functions best whenever you have enough of magnesium in the body? Also, studies specified that magnesium is not absorbed easily through the digestive tract.
Epsom salt (or magnesium sulfate) is one such effective ingredient from where we can grab this magnesium to get into the body. Epsom salt is different from traditional salt that composed of tiny, colorless crystals which are discovered from bitter saline spring at Epsom in Surrey, England.
So, Epsom salt is very essential for improving one’s health with its effective anti-inflammatory and exfoliant properties that help to treat dry skin and muscle aches or other pains. Simple soaking in a warm bath with a cup of Epsom salt in that water will rejuvenate your body with its therapeutic and healing properties.
Here in this article, you came to know the best ways of using Epsom salt to grab its benefits.
Epsom Salt Benefits:
Have a look at these mind blowing benefits of using Epsom salt, which make you keep this Epsom salt compulsory at your home.
1. Relax your Body:
The best way to use Epsom salt is the bath by dissolving Epsom salt in warm water that not only relaxes your muscles but also relaxes your mind. The magnesium ions break apart from this salt molecule and thus promote the production of serotonin and reduce the adrenaline effects to relieve your stress levels.
The magnesium plays an important role in the energy production in cells and thus helps you feel revitalize to prevent the feeling of restlessness or anxiety. It improves nerve functioning due to the electrolyte regulation, improves the usage of oxygen and better absorption of nutrients into the body.
2. Relieve Pain and Cramps:
Taking Epsom salt bath will help to ease your pain and relieves your inflammation at the root of the disease like bronchial asthma, headaches, sore muscles, heals your cuts and reduces the swelling that accompanied with bruises and sprains.
Even having an annoying or painful splinter stuck in the hand will be drawn out of the skin by simply soaking the problem area in warm water. Getting soreness after childbirth? Then also Epsom salt bath or soaking will help to clear the problem. This bath helps to relieve the overall bodily inflammation with its higher C – reactive protein (CRP), a marker of inflammation in the body.
3. Boosts Magnesium Levels:
Magnesium deficiency (or hypomagnesemia) is caused by malnutrition, severe diarrhea, alcoholism or high calcium levels. Always remember that appropriate levels of magnesium are the key to good health. So, simply soak your body or feet in a bath containing Epsom salt to increase your magnesium levels naturally.
We already learned that magnesium regulates over 300 enzymes in the body. This boosts your internal magnesium levels through the external use of Epsom salt which in turn helps to improve or ward off many avoidable health ailments.
4. Eliminates Toxins:
The presence of sulfate will assist the body in flushing out the harmful toxins and thereby provides a heavy metal detox from the body’s cells. Remember that human skin is a highly porous membrane that absorbs all the impurities from external environment easily. So, add minerals like sulfate and magnesium to your bathwater to trigger a reverse osmosis that pulls out the salt and harmful toxins out of the body.
To prepare this detoxifying bath, you have to add 2 cups of Epsom salt to your bath water and stir well to soak for 40 minutes. In this soaking process, first 20 minutes is to give your body the time to remove toxins from the system and the last 20 minutes is to absorb the minerals in the water and emerge from the bath to feel rejuvenated.
Always make sure to drink water before, during and after the bath to protect yourself from the dehydration caused by increased detoxification of the body.
5. Relieves Constipation:
Epsom salt is an effective laxative that used to relieve your constipation naturally. This salt, when taken internally, will increase the water in the intestine and thereby cleanse your colon to remove the waste and toxins from the body.
Epsom salt is not meant for a long term solution or a substitute for a healthy high fiber diet. Simply to take magnesium sulfate orally, you have to dissolve 1 dose in 8 ounces of water. Stir well and drink it all right away. You can also add some lemon juice to improve its taste.
Make sure to drink plenty of water while consuming Epsom salt to prevent dehydration. Also, when magnesium sulfate is taken orally, it should produce a bowel movement within 30 minutes to 6 hours.
Check out more to know How Epsom Salt deals with Constipation.
6. Improves Blood Sugar Levels:
The rich content of magnesium will help to reduce the risk of developing diabetes and regulate the blood sugar levels. The magnesium and sulfate content of Epsom salt will improve the body’s ability to produce and utilize the insulin.
Although there are many studies conducted to know how a healthy intake of magnesium will lower the risk of developing type – 2 diabetes in human beings. But make sure to consult your doctor before taking this Epsom salt as your natural diabetes remedy.
7. Volumizes Hair:
Epsom salt helps a lot in adding volume to the hair and reduces excess oil on the hair and scalp which in turn contribute to the healthy hair growth. The simple way to create a homemade volumizing conditioner is to mix equal parts of Epsom salt and conditioner.
Shampoo your hair and then apply this volumizing conditioner mix to your hair (from scalp to the ends). Wait for 10 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat the usage of this conditioner once or twice a week to get healthy and voluminous hair.
8. Muscle and Nerve Function:
Magnesium sulfate exhibit several other positive effects on the body like not only relieving your tension, body cramps, pains and stress reducer but also aids in many enzymatic functions that helps a lot in regulating the fluid retention in the cells.
Regular usage will help you a lot in facilitating the body to use to calcium for transmitting the chemical signals throughout the nervous system. This helps a lot in regulating the proper functioning of the muscles and nerve system.
9. Improves Arterial Health:
Epsom salt helps a lot in improving blood circulation and thereby prevents the risk of cardiovascular illness by reducing the inflammation and protecting the elasticity of arteries. Healthier arteries will definitely reduce the risk of blood clots, the buildup of plaque and prevents the damage of arterial walls.
Soak in a bath tub filled with Epsom salt for 3 – 4 times per week to improve your cardiovascular health and reduce stress.
10. Facial Cleanser:
Epsom salt can be used as your natural facial cleanser. Mix 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt in your regularly used cleanser and use this mix at night before bedtime to exfoliate your skin. Repeat it once daily for best results of clarifying skin treatment.
Or simply chop a small ripe tomato and stir well in 1 well-beaten egg white, 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin B5 powder and 1 teaspoon each of Epsom salt and aloe vera gel. Stir well by adding a couple of thyme essential oil and apply this mix on your face and wash off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
Read more on how to dislodge Blackheads using Epsom Salt.
11. Hair Strengthening and Removing Scalp Buildup:
Now a days, most of the people are using hair sprays and hair styling products to be in trendy. The regular usage of harsh chemical based hair products will increase the product buildup on the scalp and hair.
So, to remove the styling product build up, you have to mix 1 cup each of Epsom salt and lemon juice in 1 gallon of water. Cover and leave it for 24 hours and then simply pour this mix over the hair. Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and rinse your hair with mild shampoo and conditioner as usual.
12. In the Garden:
The magnesium sulfate helps a lot in fertilizing your plants, removing unwanted insect pests, greening up your lawn and prevents the slugs. It provides the essential magnesium required for the soil to grow your healthy fruits, vegetables, and flowers.
- You can easily find this Epsom salt in any drug store or healthy food stores at an affordable price. But make sure to store this Epsom salt at room temperature away from the moisture and heat.
- The most common and recommended external use of Epsom salt is to soak the entire body in warm water mixed with 1 – 2 cups of Epsom salt for at least 20 minutes.
- You can also add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in a large pan of warm water and soak your feet in this foot bath for about 20 minutes to get rid of the foot pain, athlete’s foot, toe nail fungus, foot itching or burning sensations and relieve their strain to keep it healthy.
- For internal usage of Epsom salt make sure to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment and also follow the guidelines on the packaging.
- It also soothes the sprains and bruises with its anti-inflammatory properties. Simply add 2 cups of this salt in your warm bath water and soak for few minutes to get rid of the aches.
- Magnesium sulfate is very effective in treating swollen, aching joints and also clears the formation of uric acids crystals in the foot joints. Soak the affected feet in that salt mixed warm water to alleviate the pain and inflammation to ease this discomfort of gout.
- Epsom salt has grainy crystal texture that helps to exfoliate the skin effectively to remove the dead cells. Simply rub a handful of Epsom salt over your damp skin for few minutes to make it look healthier and feel softer. Use it on your face, hands, feet, and neck.
- The abrasive texture of this crystal salt will help to wash the pots and pans where the food stuck on it without hurting your cookware. Simply pour some Epsom salts in those dirty dishes and wait for few seconds before scrubbing.
- You can also use this Epsom salts as your hand wash by mixing equal quantities of Epsom salts and baby oil to make it as a moisturizing hand cleanser. Store this mix in a clean bottle and use it regularly to clean your hands.
- Cleaning your tiles and grout will make easy with this Epsom salt. Mix equal quantities of Epsom salts and liquid dish detergent to make it a super tile and grout cleaner. Now apply this mix on the dirty and stained surfaces in your kitchen, bathroom and even outside areas of the home.
- Let it soak for a minute or two and then start scrubbing those loosened grime areas. Rinse well to get neat and clean tile and grout.
- You can also use Epsom salt to remove the unwanted gunk and other contaminants that build up inside the machines while washing the clothes. All you need to do is to fill the washing machine with hot water and add 1 cup of Epsom salt and 1 quart of clear vinegar to it.
- Let the machine run for a minute or two and then stop the cycle. Leave this water to soak in the machine for about 30 – 40 minutes. Then completely rinse your machine to get rid of detergent build up.
Have you tried any of these Epsom salt benefits at home? Do you know any other successful Epsom salt benefits or uses in your daily life? Then share it with us in the below comments box.