Tomatoes are most commonly available ingredient in every kitchen. It is not only used to improve flavor to the food but also possesses many health and beauty benefits.
It is very effective in enhancing eyesight, intestinal system, prevents urinary tract infection, reduces blood pressure, protects against cancer, controls heart rate, lower cholesterol, anti-inflammatory, eliminates blood clots, etc.
Besides health benefits, you can also grab many beauty benefits from this staple kitchen ingredient.
Tomato is a huge reservoir of beauty enhancing properties. Here, we are going to know about few ways of using tomato to improve our beauty.
Lycopene (a powerful antioxidant) is the major compound in tomatoes which protects the skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, fights against free radicals to delay the aging of the skin, and protects the skin from cancer attacks.
Other than lycopene, tomatoes are enriched with vitamins A & C along with some astringent and cooling properties.
Let’s have a look at these methods to know how to include tomato in the beauty routine to grab skin and hair benefits.
Tomato has salicylic acid that cleanses and exfoliates the skin to remove dead cells and toxins from the pores. It acts as an astringent that shrink the skin pores and remove excess oil to clear acne and its scars.
- Mash a ripe tomato into a puree and apply it on the acne affected areas.
- Let it sit for 20 – 30 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Continue the same process once or twice daily till you get rid of acne.
Note: Or mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and tomato juice in a bowl. Soak a cotton ball in this mix and apply it on the acne affected skin. Wash it with lukewarm water after it gets dried.
The high content of lycopene in tomatoes protect the skin from sun’s harmful UV rays and also cools to neutralize the skin’s surface.
- Place 2 medium sized tomatoes and 1/2 cup of plain yogurt in a blender.
- Blend it to make a smooth paste and apply it on all over the sunburned or suntanned areas of the skin.
- Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Do the same process once daily till you get rid of a suntan.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons of tomato juice in 4 tablespoons of buttermilk and apply it on the skin. Rinse off after 30 minutes and repeat regularly to soothe the sunburned skin.
- Include tomato in your daily diet to protect the skin against the UV light –induced erythema.
3. Large Open Pores:
Tomato shrinks big pores to prevent the easy access to dirt or grime into the skin which causes blemishes and acne breakouts. It has an astringent property that tightens your skin pores and also lightens the dark spots to leave your skin young and glow.
- Mix 2 – 4 drops of fresh lemon juice to 1 tablespoon of tomato juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and rinse your face thoroughly with water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mix and apply it on your face where you found large pores.
- Leave it on for at least 15 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Dry your face with a clean soft towel and repeat it twice a week to get relief from the problem.
4. Uneven Skin Tone:
Tomato exhibits natural bleaching property that lightens your skin tone. Vitamin C content in tomato helps for collagen production, fights cellular damage by preventing free radicals.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of milk cream in 3 tablespoons of tomato juice till it forms as a face mask.
- Apply this mask on all over your clean face and neck.
- Wait for 15 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
- Twice a week application will yield best skin lightening results.
Note: Or mix 2 tablespoons each of raw honey and fresh tomato juice. Apply it on the face and rinse off with cool water after 10 minutes. Repeat it once in every other day.
5. Excess Oil Secretion:
Tomato reduces excess oil from the skin naturally with its astringent property. So, regular usage of tomato is the best remedy for oily skin people to combat excess oil, acne, and blemishes.
- Take a ripe tomato and cut it into a half.
- Then rub the half tomato piece on all over your face and neck.
- Allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
- Dry your skin with a clean soft cloth and continue it for once daily.
Note: Or extract the juice of 2 tomatoes and mix it with 2 – 3 tablespoons of cucumber juice. Apply it on the face and massage it in circular motions. Rinse with cool water after 10 minutes and do the same once daily at night before bedtime.
Blemishes occur anywhere on the body like dark spots, discoloration of skin or scars and damages our skin’s beauty. Tomatoes treat clogged pores and blemishes with its skin lightening and astringent properties.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of oatmeal and yogurt in 2 teaspoons of fresh tomato pulp to make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and rub it gently for few minutes.
- Wait for 20 minutes and wash it off with cool water.
- Do the same process for once or twice a week till you get rid of these blemishes.
7. Healthy Hair:
Tomatoes are enriched with nutrients that make it as excellent stimulants for healthy hair. It strengthens the hair strands and promotes its growth. It also balances the scalp pH level and adds a natural shine to the dull and lifeless hair.
- Place 2 tomatoes, 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a blender and blend it to a fine paste.
- Apply it on the scalp and cover it with a shower cap for about 30 minutes.
- After that, rinse off your hair and repeat the same hair mask regularly for once a week.
Note: Or simply mix 1 tomato paste with 2 tablespoons of castor oil and apply it on the scalp. Rinse off your hair with mild shampoo and lukewarm water after 30 – 45 minutes. Continue it once a week regularly.
8. Skin Aging:
Tomato helps to delay the aging of the skin with its antioxidant property that reduces the damage of free radicals to keep your skin looking healthy and young. Lycopene helps the skin to absorb enough oxygen which in turn delays the skin aging and thereby wrinkles.
- Place 1 ripe tomato and 1 ripe avocado in a blender and blend it to make a smooth paste.
- Apply it on all over the face and neck and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water and dry your skin using a soft towel.
- Apply this anti – aging face mask regularly for once a week to get rid of the aging signs and wrinkles.
Note: Also, the intake of 1 glass of tomato juice daily will help to nourish your skin and prevent many skin problems, including aging.
9. Dead Skin Cells:
Accumulation of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin will put down your skin’s glow. The regular usage of tomato will clear the dead skin cells and make your skin clean and glow. The vitamins (A, C & K) in tomato will nourish your skin to smoothen it.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of tomato juice and bentonite clay (or any clay powder) and 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a fine scrub paste and apply it on your skin using a brush.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and then wet your fingers to scrub the skin for a couple of minutes.
- For best results, use this exfoliating scrub for once a week.
Note: Or cut a tomato into 2 pieces and sprinkle some powdered sugar on one piece. Use it to rub your face using circular motions till you get rid of the problem.
10. Oily Hair:
Tomato not only treats oily skin but also treat oily hair with its acidic nature that helps to balance the pH of the scalp. It effectively controls the oil secretion, prevents dandruff (bad odor) and thus helps you to get rid of oily hair.
- Wash your hair thoroughly and apply freshly extracted tomato juice on all over your scalp.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
- Continue the same process for once or twice a week till you get rid of the oily hair and dandruff.
Tips and Precautions:
- Simply consume a tomato or its juice for twice daily to get rid of unwanted fat that deposited in the body.
- Rubbing the skin with tomato slices will help you to get rid of blackheads by shrinking the skin pores.
- It’s a wise advice to do some skin patch test to know whether you’re allergic to tomatoes or not before applying on the skin.
- Always prefer to prepare the fresh batch of tomato mix for best results rather than storing and reusing it.
- Avoid leaving tomato mix on the skin longer than then recommended time, as it causes itching, redness, dryness and other irritations on the skin.
- People who have dry or sensitive skin should avoid using pure tomato on the skin, they have to mix it with other soothing ingredients like a little of water, yogurt, aloe vera, rosewater, etc.
Try these tomato methods to grab all these beauty benefits. Do you know any other tomato methods to enhance beauty? Then share it with us in the below comments box.